• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox One Rumors: PS4 PSN > XBL, snap crashes games, ES RAM life long bottleneck

Status
Not open for further replies.

RawRebel

Banned
Oh sna*crashes*

Stage%20Collapse.gif

chadskin

Jonm1010

Banned
Maybe it's me, but I really don't get why half this forum seems to be estatic about the fact that the XBone seems to launch as a complete clusterfuck. With the Wii U doing Dreamcast numbers and the XBone maybe completely imploding at launch there's a serious threat to console gaming, which no matter how die hard Sony fan you are is bad for everyone. The writing is on the wall for a massive console crash if the PS4 won't sell gangbusters.

Especialy with the dissapointing performance we see so far, with consoles at launch already being destroyed by PCs, not to mention what will happen four years from now. COD @ 720p is absolutely ridiculous and 900p for BF4 is definitely dissapointing.

And aside from all that we have to get our news through leaks and twitter, because the so called journalists covering this industry are a complete joke. We are only a couple of weeks from launch and there's hardly any serious reporting on the new consoles. Just hallelujah on a new gen, no criticism, tough questions or simple honest comparissons.

Seriosuly, if things are getting even worse as CBOAT and Bishop seem to imply, PS4 better become the new PS2 or else comfy couch gaming will be powered by Steam in the very near future.

I'd be ok with that!

But to speak to the rest of your post. I think most people are still a little peeved over the always-online, No used games, forced kinect, kinect monitoring your every move, $100 console cost for subpar specs and the bullshit PR spinning. So this never-ending onslaught of bad news comes off as reaping what you sow.

I have to say I feel that sentiment. Microsoft brought a lot of nice franchises to the world, kept Sony and Nintendo fighting to compete and pushed online gaming into the mainstream but it was also the company that started online pay walls, pushed paid DLC, and got fairly arrogant with their success and looked to those latter issues even further. So I'm of a very mixed mind on whether I want Microsoft to remain in the console business after this gen. And just to make clear The 360 was my most used console BY FAR this generation.

As to games journalism, its always mostly been fanboys slobbering over their hobby, bending over backwards to the people that make them.

ViciousDS

Banned
I should clarify, I asked about the asstorm and was told: "Wait till launch."

That's all I've heard. That's it. Nothing more. Don't read into something that's not there.

oh this suspense is going to kill me and then I wont be able to play any system XD

Fracas

#fuckonami
Can thuway/famousmortimer/anyone address something I've been reading?

I saw a post somewhere (I can dig it up) that mentioned PS4 overheating issues. Any truth to it?

kingocfs

I'm about at the point where I'm ready to close everything off and just wait until these things come out. The speculation is making my head hurt.

Amir0x

Banned
just so we are clear I agree with you 100%

right now game journalists are just freelance PR for the publishers.

I know, sorry, I'm just frustrated. Didn't mean to make it sound like a lash against you.

This shit is just so fucking irritating. It should not be a fight to get news THIS important only a few weeks from launch. Why do so many of these outlets not understand this?

Big-E

I think there is likely only two real outcomes from this:

1) All the insiders are correct or mostly correct and the xbone

2) MS has found the leaks and directing these people to lie to insiders in order to discredit them when launch comes around

Given how widespread these rumours are, I think it is the former rather than the latter.

I saw a post somewhere (I can dig it up) that mentioned PS4 overheating issues. Any truth to it?

It is true...if you keep it in a small plastic display case with no ventilation.

Example A:
ps4-rlod.jpg

“The Red Line Of Death”, which it clearly is not as the console recovered quite quickly once it had some air.

S¡mon

Banned

Are you referring to that PS4 that was locked up in a closed box in Spain for nearly 8 hours in a row?

It didn't even shut down: it just gave off a warning that the system was getting hot, and after opening up the closed box, the warning was gone within seconds.

Amir0x

Banned
Fuck NDAs? You want them to be liable for what I would imagine are some pretty serious damages because they didn't reveal that software in development wasn't working?

The solution will be that journalists will never have access to anything in development ever again.

I want them to not sign any NDA if it means forcing consumers to be out of the loop on critically important shit like this. If they sign an NDA that means they can't speak out against this, they've already given up their credibility.

'Access' don't mean shit if what that really amounts to is just giving lip service to the companies while keeping the readers - the only fucking important element in this mix - in the dark.

idk, game journalists sure like to pick and choose which "reports" they want to post on their sites I guess.

Why would you want to anger part of your user base? A lot of sites depend on having an audience for as many platforms as possible. Spending effort blowing up one of the consoles probably won't bring in a lot of users, but it may well lose them some. That's the danger of the "enthusiast" press.

You guys have got to be patient. Lots going on.

If you're really trying to get to the bottom of this and find out the real stories about what is going on, I salute you. There's so little actual investigative journalism in this industry, and that frustrates me to no end. The outcome of this issue, whether true or false or positive or negative for either console is irrelevant to me; I just want to see some good-old-fashioned reporting. I wish you all the best in these endeavors.

AmyS

I know the EDRAM in Xbox 360 caused devs some problems and didn't exactly allow "free AA" as MS and ATi claimed at the time, but I don't remember it being a huge issue like XBone's ESRAM. Even Wii U's EDRAM didn't seem to be as bad as this. That's what I'm most worried about. The OS / UI / Live problems can be fixed in a matter of months but the ESRAM is never going to really change. It's fixed. Devs can only find work arounds as they get more familiar with the arch.

I heard (from a dev source) that PS4 overheats and it actually explodes. Come November, It will be fixed. Wait till launch.

Replicant

I took this weeks ago when the promo stands for AC4 appeared in (UK) stores and never posted it as I couldn't be sure of any significance. I still don't think there is any, but your post reminded me of this... note the missing logo, heh.

photo_zps88881757.jpg

It's not even a missing logo. It's more like excluded logo. The typefaces have been arranged as such that logo placement are neat and centered and leave no space for an additional logo.

Xenon

Not sure what you're hinting at here especially since you're a Jr member as well. That he's a shill planted by MS 5 years ago?

I've been called a shill and I've been a member here since the forum's rebirth and the previous forum since before the release of the PS2. It's a shame that this witch hunt mentality exists here but it does. It makes me look back fondly at the more simpler times when people were just labeled fanboys. Now everyone is on MS's payroll.

As far as the OP, something tells me things are not as ominous as we are being led to believe for MS. Do I think the leakers have an agenda, without a doubt. Do I believe there is truth in what they say, sure but I think they are painting the picture with a bit of a think brush for dramatic effect.

Investigative games journalism is virtually nonexistent, it's a key area that needs improving.

instead, there is the abundance of the cynical, angry schtick which is full of complaints about the gaming industry, about games, about "how stupid and shitty this game is, they don't know how to make games, let me use more metaphors," etc. but when things that matter are actually at-hand, those complainers disappear.

I will say this: IF all this shit turns out to be true and journalists sat by the sidelines while it was happening, there must be a reckoning. This sort of failure at their job is so fucking insane that it literally suggests they shouldn't even exist. Why bother being a 'games journalist'? At this point they'd all just be game 'enthusiasts' who bow down to whatever company gives them the nicest smile.

FUCK NDAs. I don't give a shit what people are signing. If this story is this big, it is of critical importance to inform consumers and their readers. That's the only duty. If they fail to do that, shut down their websites. Wrap it up.

This.

I made a thread about the state of journalism, NDAs and secrets a couple of days ago. Our very own editor for Kotaku stated that we have to be patient - it had only be 3 days (Ignoring the fact that these issues/rumours have been solid for months).

It's been 5 days by my count. It is no longer about patience - the journalists aren't doing their job properly. Whether you need of be quicker, or get some more sources etc. I'm not sure. But this shit would be unacceptable in any other industry. I certainly hope it's not a case of waiting for an official response from Sony/Ms, bound to be manicured nonsense.

Do your fucking job - report on this shit.

Edit:poor timing as the Kotaku story goes up. Though I still think 5 days give or take was far, far too long for that particular news story.

Magwik

Banned
Wrong! Try again

We knew Gaikai wasn't coming this year and suspend/resume won't be there Day 1 not UI snapping. Driveclub is unfortunate but I respect their decision, cause the latest build looks insane.

Gaikai was never ever meant to be released with the PS4. It's a separate service on it's own.
Snapping was never a PS4 feature, suspend/resume was.
Driveclub is a game being developed on it's own, nothing to do with PS4.

I know but it still should be something that launches alongside the console.

Who knows. Gaf is a news source across the web these days. Look online Mort or CBoat are sourced for half the negative MS rumors out their. Maybe Sony should write them some checks.

All very strange. Especially now that it's kicking up a notch less than a month from launch. If it was just fanboys they would be excited for PS4 land buying DS4's and PS cameras. Instead they are still spreading MS FUD for their readers.
I mean I get this stuff is important for some. I actually switched over to PS4 and going to pay it off with my xbox one preorder but all the tryna take a dump on stuff by some posters is a bit repulsive.

FStop7

Banned
Fuck NDAs? You want them to be liable for what I would imagine are some pretty serious damages because they didn't reveal that software in development wasn't working and/or had bugs ?

The solution will be that journalists will never have access to anything in development ever again.

I'd say "fuck NDAs" as in the big companies that own most of the large/popular gaming sites need to push back hard on not allowing their reporters to sign NDAs in the first place. The publishers will kick and scream and deny coverage, but in time there will be some kind of accord reached because the fact is the gaming sites and the pubs need each other.

Jack_AG

Banned
No matter what the Xbox One will be sold out into early 2014 in most territories.

I feel like they could realistically launch with buggy software and incomplete features and be largely forgiven as long as they get it to work by the end of January. That's a lot of time to fix things.

So you honestly think people will give the box 2 months of collecting dust before they shit all over it saying "OMGWTFTHISTHINGKEEPSFREEZINGSHUTTINGOFFNOTCONNECTINGTOINTERNETAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" on every damn social media network?

In today's world - if the issue is widespread - I'd expect it to go a few hours after launch before people take to social media flailing their arms about forbidding anyone to buy it.

Seriously. If major crashing, freezing, connection issues do occur in large at launch - it won't make it to 2014 without the grace of a forgiving, loving deity.

Feorax

Great job by Jason and Kotaku. Nice to see an outlet taking concerns like this seriously, even if it does eventually end up being fixed at launch.

Hope other outlets take note.

chadskin

To add to the Kotaku report:
One source said that as of at least a few weeks ago, Xbox One SDKs were very buggy. Another source said some developers who have already submitted their games to Microsoft for certification have had to resubmit those games with a more recent version of the SDK. In other words, both developers and Microsoft staff have been working overtime to get games shipped and approved.

No AC4 Xbox One version for review yet. Also, CoD Ghosts embargo lifts Nov. 5th for PS3, PS4, 360 and Nov. 12th for Xbox One. Their problems with the SDKs and certifications might be reason for the delayed review versions, not MS trying to shut up the press.

I want them to not sign any NDA if it means forcing consumers to be out of the loop on critically important shit like this. If they sign an NDA that means they can't speak out against this, they've already given up their credibility.

'Access' don't mean shit if what that really amounts to is just giving lip service to the companies while keeping the readers - the only fucking important element in this mix - in the dark.
Dude, You sign an NDA, then you stick to it. Otherwise, Don't sign any at all. As simple as that.

As a journalist, You will be given the right to see hardware/software which is currently 'in development'. You are given many rights under that contract. You'll be able to talk about the features of the said software but you're not allowed to point to any problems to it unless you're allowed to according to the NDA. because it's "IN DEVELOPMENT" and the consumer will never see that alpha version of the software and/or hardware. Development =/= final build intended for consumer use.

MS and Sony and other publishers as well are allowing the journalists to do their jobs as per the NDA contract. If a journalist is gone rogue, His actions will not hurt himself only. It will hurt the company, the hard working people who spent hours and maybe took an overtime shift to deliver the product and it will hurt the families of the people who were associated with that company and eventually your economy will be hurt as well.

Not a single company on earth would tolerate childish behavior from childish journalists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom