• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox One system update improves 4K visual performance in games.

Pantz

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/system-update-operating-system

OS version - 10.0.17763.4085 (rs5_release_xbox_dev_ 1902.190131-1620)
Release date
2/12/2018
Audio
  • Added reliability fixes to Cortana.
  • Unplugging a headset during video playback no longer results in audio loss before video playback freezes.
  • Made audio system upgrades when switching from Home to a game or app.
Cortana
  • Improved Cortana responsiveness to commands.
Console
  • Fixed an issue that caused some consoles to crash unexpectedly.
Home
  • Improved performance on the Home Dashboard.
Mouse
  • Improved mouse responsiveness to reduce lag.
My games and apps
  • Improved the installation experience for various FastStart titles.
  • Fixed a problem in some games (e.g. Resident Evil 0) in which cutscenes would fail and the game would lock.
  • Fixes an issue to ensure certain apps like the Avatar Editor and Microsoft Rewards work on first launch.
System
  • Fixed an issue in which some people received the E203 error when taking a system update.
  • Improved performance on the network port.
  • Improved performance and reliability on the save game feature when games are suspended.
  • Improved speed and performance of My games & apps.
  • Improved idle screen performance.
  • Improved 4K visual performance in games.
  • Improved the performance of the guide on Home.
Video
  • Made improvements to the 4K video pipeline so that apps like Netflix display 4K content correctly.

Note: Somebody is still putting 2018 on their patch notes!

Last edited:

pr0cs

Hopefully someone does a video of the 4k improvements,a comparison would be nice.
Totally forgot that they added mouse and keyboard, I still need to try that

Ramzy

glad they are aware of the horrible dashboard performance

It's insanity that it runs so terribly. I was late to the party and only bought a One X for RDR2 and was amazed to see how fucking terrible the UI ran in a modern flagship console from Microsoft. It strikes me as odd that a production console that has been out for so many years still struggles to let you navigate a basic 2D UI.

Let's go
pHD57F6.jpg

Last edited:

Ramzy

Just finished the update. General UI movement and navigating the store feels like shit.

Viewing a game in the Microsoft store and trying to scroll down results in the UI freezing for a few seconds, then all of a sudden your inputs are registered and the screen suddenly snaps to the bottom with a hundred sound effects being vomited out of your speakers.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
The way the xbox dash and store works is that the first time its ran, its all cached into the OS memory. That's why on a fresh boot and/or system update, its more laggy than usual. Pretty standard really. Keep using it, and then it will all smooth out.

Ramzy

The way the xbox dash and store works is that the first time its ran, its all cached into the OS memory. That's why on a fresh boot and/or system update, its more laggy than usual. Pretty standard really. Keep using it, and then it will all smooth out.

Microsoft have had technologies like prefetch and precaching in their OS's for over a decade. I shouldn't need to jump around the dashboard trying to get everything loaded into the console's RAM.

Either way, opening Crackdown 3 in the store results in a long pause with no user input registred. Going back then opening Crackdown 3 again results in the same long pause with all of my inputs ignored.

I'm running a 3~ month old One X on a 100mbit connection.

This isn't good enough.

dolabla

Interesting. I wonder what type of 4k improvements they're talking about? I'm updating mine. Hope the OS is somewhat better cause it's always been bad since I've had my X.

PaNaMa

Banned
Just finished the update. General UI movement and navigating the store feels like shit.

Viewing a game in the Microsoft store and trying to scroll down results in the UI freezing for a few seconds, then all of a sudden your inputs are registered and the screen suddenly snaps to the bottom with a hundred sound effects being vomited out of your speakers.

Soooo same as before =\

Ramzy

Soooo same as before =\

I played around with the dashboard for a few minutes before updating and after updating I genuinely can't see a difference. Ignored inputs, sound effects stacking on each other, store freezes, MixR tab freezes while loading in content and doesn't allow you to switch to other tabs, tiles are slow to load in... Feels the same.

DonF

Interesting. So it wasnt displaying 4k correctly? Digital Foundry has to re do all their test again, lol. Im sure its something small.

PaNaMa

Banned
"4k Visual Performance" seems an odd way to phrase things. I wish Microsoft would supply more detail here. I don't know, it sounds like an aesthetic thing rather than anything else. Doesn't say "4K Gaming Performance". Also the Netflix thing is weird too - it displayed in 4K for me no problem. What do they mean by improved?

Last edited:

dolabla

One thing I am amazed by is they still have not fixed the Full RGB mode (for TV's at least, not sure about monitors). It was like that on 360 and is still like that today on the X1. How are they still not able to get Full RGB correct?

One thing I am amazed by is they still have not fixed the Full RGB mode (for TV's at least, not sure about monitors). It was like that on 360 and is still like that today on the X1. How are they still not able to get Full RGB correct?
What do you mean? Does it display wrong colors?

dolabla

What do you mean? Does it display wrong colors?

It seems to crush the blacks and also looks like it oversaturate the colors. I've owned 4 different tv's over the 360 and X1 lifespan (current model is Sony X900E) and the Full RGB mode just doesn't work. It works with the PS4 and worked with the Switch I used to have. It's really weird.

It seems to crush the blacks and also looks like it oversaturate the colors. I've owned 4 different tv's over the 360 and X1 lifespan (current model is Sony X900E) and the Full RGB mode just doesn't work. It works with the PS4 and worked with the Switch I used to have. It's really weird.
Dunno if it's related, but I thought they had fixed that long time ago (there was a GPU reservation for filters/Kinect/snap mode):

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-...y-awful-xb1-sharpening-filter-at-work.725788/

360 BC also has some issues with games like Alan Wake... I've also personally noticed weird (darker) colors in AC Revelations compared to the PS3 version, which is probably what you're talking about.

I remember 360 games having a wrong gamma profile or something like that.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Black crush was fixed a long time ago, you just need to set the tv and Xbox up to work with each other correctly, same as PlayStation

Thiagosc777

Dunno if it's related, but I thought they had fixed that long time ago (there was a GPU reservation for filters/Kinect/snap mode):

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-...y-awful-xb1-sharpening-filter-at-work.725788/

360 BC also has some issues with games like Alan Wake... I've also personally noticed weird (darker) colors in AC Revelations compared to the PS3 version, which is probably what you're talking about.

That was fixed, because I played through Alan Wake a couple years ago and didn't notice anything wrong with the image.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
"4k Visual Performance" seems an odd way to phrase things. I wish Microsoft would supply more detail here. I don't know, it sounds like an aesthetic thing rather than anything else. Doesn't say "4K Gaming Performance". Also the Netflix thing is weird too - it displayed in 4K for me no problem. What do they mean by improved?

My guess is this is something more related to the performance of the video output than the game performance itself.

It's insanity that it runs so terribly. I was late to the party and only bought a One X for RDR2 and was amazed to see how fucking terrible the UI ran in a modern flagship console from Microsoft. It strikes me as odd that a production console that has been out for so many years still struggles to let you navigate a basic 2D UI.

Let's go
pHD57F6.jpg
I did the other way, bought recently a Pro. I was amazed how fast the UI is compared to the Xbox. Still, the PS Store is as shitty as the MS Store.

dolabla

Yeah, I remember that whole ordeal.

There's a test I did on my X1 on the test patterns. On the brightness pattern with the eye looking things. If I have it on Limited, I can increase the brightness by one notch on my TV and the top pattern eye will appear. On Full, if I do that the same top pattern, no matter how high I turn the brightness up to until the whole screen is grey, I can never get that eye to appear.

dolabla

Black crush was fixed a long time ago, you just need to set the tv and Xbox up to work with each other correctly, same as PlayStation

I have everything set correctly. I have an Auto feature for the HDMI Black Level and I can manually set it to Limited or Full. Something definitely seems off with the blacks compared to the PS4's RGB Full.

Like I said above, on Full I can never get that top eye to appear on the brightness pattern no matter how high I turn the brightness up to. But on Limited, all it takes is one notch on my TV to get it to appear.

Last edited:

Solo Act

I did the other way, bought recently a Pro. I was amazed how fast the UI is compared to the Xbox. Still, the PS Store is as shitty as the MS Store.
I just want to add a voice and say that this is completely accurate in my experience also. Both the PlayStation and Xbox stores chug way to much and often have errors. I've had an unknowable amount of experiences on both stores where I'm pressing a direction to get to another section, nothing happens for 30 seconds or so, then 4 or 5 directional inputs take effect instantly. It's terrible.

Weirdly enough, even though they get laughed at for their online infrastructure, I have never had a single problem with the Switch eshop. Everything works as expected and loads up quickly enough. I think it's because Nintendo doesn't preload the trailers and have a list of recommended games on every page. Sony and Microsoft could both learn a lot from Nintendo by adding simplicity to their stores (via subtraction).

Last edited:

Calibos

Speaking to the dashboard issues....I had an external drive plugged in loaded with games and my dash was constantly chugging. Unplugged it and did a restart. Runs insanely better now. I would like to know if other people have found this to be the case.

Sky87

I have everything set correctly. I have an Auto feature for the HDMI Black Level and I can manually set it to Limited or Full. Something definitely seems off with the blacks compared to the PS4's RGB Full.

Like I said above, on Full I can never get that top eye to appear on the brightness pattern no matter how high I turn the brightness up to. But on Limited, all it takes is one notch on my TV to get it to appear.
You shouldn't use Auto Black Level as it might choose the wrong one. Either choose PC/Full or Standard/Low HDMI on the Xbox (recommended for TV's are Standard, so use that), Limited/Low or Full/High on PS4. Matching these properly will make sure there is zero difference between a matched high/high or a low/limited signal.

dolabla

You shouldn't use Auto Black Level as it might choose the wrong one. Either choose PC/Full or Standard/Low HDMI on the Xbox (recommended for TV's are Standard, so use that), Limited/Low or Full/High on PS4. Matching these properly will make sure there is zero difference between a matched high/high or a low/limited signal.

I definitely do that. I've actually had it receive the wrong RGB values before on the Auto feature so I just manually set it now for all my electronics.

Other than looking off to me, the brightness pattern thing definitely makes me think it is still broken. I would think the eye should appear when I increase the brightness on my tv.

wvnative

This is the most shit OS I've ever used. Apps don't boot half the time, sometimes games won't start. I've had the entire OS go black and had to restart the entire Xbox. That edge browser is awful and unintutive compared to the PS4's browser. I constantly have to restart to re-enable wi-fi because the actual wi-fi chip randomly goes dead. Plus everything else is just so unintuitive compared to both Switch and PS4. Everything you can do on those consoles takes several more button presses on Xbox. There ain't no saving this OS.

The store is also a mess but I do not have time to go into all that.

Sucks too, as a piece of hardware plus services the Xbox One is the best value.

Hopefully Xbox Scarlett has a better OS.

Also, Microsoft parades that accessibility controller like they are saviors of disabled gamers. While an awesome gadget, it baffles me how a company who claims to think about accessibility in such a large way, CAN'T LET ME REMAP THE FUCKING TRIGGERS.

I am so sorry for the rant, but I've been needing to vent about it and this seemed to be the topic to do it. Let it all out.

lefty1117

Gold Member
This is the most shit OS I've ever used. Apps don't boot half the time, sometimes games won't start. I've had the entire OS go black and had to restart the entire Xbox. That edge browser is awful and unintutive compared to the PS4's browser. I constantly have to restart to re-enable wi-fi because the actual wi-fi chip randomly goes dead. Plus everything else is just so unintuitive compared to both Switch and PS4. Everything you can do on those consoles takes several more button presses on Xbox. There ain't no saving this OS.

The store is also a mess but I do not have time to go into all that.

Sucks too, as a piece of hardware plus services the Xbox One is the best value.

Hopefully Xbox Scarlett has a better OS.

Also, Microsoft parades that accessibility controller like they are saviors of disabled gamers. While an awesome gadget, it baffles me how a company who claims to think about accessibility in such a large way, CAN'T LET ME REMAP THE FUCKING TRIGGERS.

I am so sorry for the rant, but I've been needing to vent about it and this seemed to be the topic to do it. Let it all out.

Don't mean to sound dismissive of your problems, but some of what you're saying sounds much more like a hardware problem with your console.

The OS ain't pretty but really none of them are, the more you use them. Nintendo doesn't offer the same kind of online integration, stream viewing, community stuff - it's much more barebones and simple and maybe that's what you're looking for? I remember all of the same complaints about the Playstation OS last gen. It must be a tough one to solve if none of these companies have done it after 20 years.

One thing I will gripe about though is the shaky performance navigating the menus across the top. They need to handle internet latency better.

wvnative

Don't mean to sound dismissive of your problems, but some of what you're saying sounds much more like a hardware problem with your console.

The OS ain't pretty but really none of them are, the more you use them. Nintendo doesn't offer the same kind of online integration, stream viewing, community stuff - it's much more barebones and simple and maybe that's what you're looking for? I remember all of the same complaints about the Playstation OS last gen. It must be a tough one to solve if none of these companies have done it after 20 years.

One thing I will gripe about though is the shaky performance navigating the menus across the top. They need to handle internet latency better.

I went from VCR Xbox One to Xbox One X and both have the same issues. I will admit these issues aren't as frequent as my VCR Xbox One. Some days it is okay and restarting it always sets it right for awhile. But even when I don't have those issues it really is unituitive to navigate for me when I'm so quick and snappy at navigating the PS4 and Switch.

Switch is by far my favorite console for this reason, games boot fast, load fast, small file sizes cause no install on physical games. OS navigation is instant, system updates take 5 seconds. I hope Microsoft AND Sony look to Switch for OS management. I get the heavy consoles do more but if they spent enough time and money they could get closer to the instant factor of the Switch.

UI performance isn't something they can really fix with the Xbox One, it's a laptop 5400RPM HDD running a modified version of Windows 10 (Win 8 at launch).

Past gen Xbox consoles were just the Windows NT kernel with a custom OS built around that, all of that was thrown away with the Xbox One because of the of Onecore initiative across MS to not make any more custom variants of Windows back around that time when it was in development.

It's why the Xbox One could take up 60 seconds to boot same as a HDD laptop running full blown Windows, the X model gets this down to 40 seconds.

Xbox shares same code base as PC Windows, PC Windows is designed for SSD drives these days, the Window Store front is not especially snappy on an old 5400RPM laptop drive with a CPU from 2013. Modding an Xbox One with an SSD drives solves most lag issues but this is not viable for most given the work involved.

PS4 UI can lag if you know were to look (returning from PSN store to main dash), but Sony did a good job on the main dash itself and is generally smooth and quicker to boot in around 30 seconds but is also much more basic overall.

Next gen Xbox will likely solve it due to having better CPU and SSD storage or at minimum some kind of cache.

UI performance isn't something they can really fix with the Xbox One, it's a laptop 5400RPM HDD running a modified version of Windows 10 (Win 8 at launch).

Past gen Xbox consoles were just the Windows NT kernel with a custom OS built around that, all of that was thrown away with the Xbox One because of the of Onecore initiative across MS to not make any more custom variants of Windows back around that time when it was in development.

It's why the Xbox One could take up 60 seconds to boot same as a HDD laptop running full blown Windows, the X model gets this down to 40 seconds.

Xbox shares same code base as PC Windows, PC Windows is designed for SSD drives these days, the Window Store front is not especially snappy on an old 5400RPM laptop drive with a CPU from 2013. Modding an Xbox One with an SSD drives solves most lag issues but this is not viable for most given the work involved.

PS4 UI can lag if you know were to look (returning from PSN store to main dash), but Sony did a good job on the main dash itself and is generally smooth and quicker to boot in around 30 seconds but is also much more basic overall.

Next gen Xbox will likely solve it due to having better CPU and SSD storage or at minimum some kind of cache.
You forget the fact that XB1 has 8GB of NAND storage exclusively for the OS. PS4 only has 32MB.

Having 3 VMs, a weak CPU (it's still Jaguar with a higher frequency) and playing videos by default on the MS Store (even my PC lags there) cause slowdowns.

Btw, does anyone remember how slow the Wii U OS was? 1GB RAM, very barebones OS and even basic functions took a long time to finish. Switch has 0.75GB RAM for the OS, still barebones and it's much faster.

TBH, I don't expect MS to rewrite the entire OS for next-gen XBOX. It will be the exact same OS running on Zen CPU.

wvnative

Didn't know windows 10 was optimized for SSD specifically.

As for PS4, hell yeah it can lag. But I mostly only see it on Red Dead or if I'm stupid enough to open the dash while a game is streaming data like on a load screen. 80% of the time its good, and when it does lag, for me anyway, it will crash the OS and refresh itself all while not interrupting my game.

wvnative

You forget the fact that XB1 has 8GB of NAND storage exclusively for the OS. PS4 only has 32MB.

Having 3 VMs, a weak CPU (it's still Jaguar with a higher frequency) and playing videos by default on the MS Store (even my PC lags there) cause slowdowns.

Btw, does anyone remember how slow the Wii U OS was? 1GB RAM, very barebones OS and even basic functions took a long time to finish. Switch has 0.75GB RAM for the OS, still barebones and it's much faster.

TBH, I don't expect MS to rewrite the entire OS for next-gen XBOX. It will be the exact same OS running on Zen CPU.

What the fuck

Gideon_128

Receipts?

Pantz

Hopefully this can help Anthem out in some way. Looking forward to see if Digital Foundry can notice any differences.

Grinchy

Banned
Microsoft have had technologies like prefetch and precaching in their OS's for over a decade. I shouldn't need to jump around the dashboard trying to get everything loaded into the console's RAM.

Either way, opening Crackdown 3 in the store results in a long pause with no user input registred. Going back then opening Crackdown 3 again results in the same long pause with all of my inputs ignored.

I'm running a 3~ month old One X on a 100mbit connection.

This isn't good enough.
Yeah, the UI for Xbox is dreadful. The performance is bad enough, but the layout is also terrible as well. You'd really think that the world's biggest operating system company would be able to design a great console UI.

Sorry for the late response. You do realize that in the article you linked, they literally say "we are not sure what this flash memory is being used for". Then they go on to state "we have a couple of guesses". So it's interesting how anyone could interpret that as being factual.
What do you think they can store in 8GB of flash storage? Video games?

It's obviously for the OS.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-the-complete-xbox-one-interview

Digital Foundry: Another thing that came up from the Hot Chips presentation that was new information was the eMMC NAND which I hadn't seen any mention of. I'm told it's not available for titles. So what does it do?

Andrew Goossen: Sure. We use it as a cache system-side to improve system response and again not disturb system performance on the titles running underneath. So what it does is that it makes our boot times faster when you're not coming out of the sleep mode - if you're doing the cold boot. It caches the operating system on there. It also caches system data on there while you're actually running the titles and when you have the snap applications running concurrently. It's so that we're not going and hitting the hard disk at the same time that the title is. All the game data is on the HDD. We wanted to be moving that head around and not worrying about the system coming in and monkeying with the head at an inopportune time.

TL;DR: The 5400 RPM laptop 2.5" HDD has nothing to do with OS/UI sluggishness. That was my point.

PS4 only has 32MB instead, which is obviously not enough to store the entire OS. I guess it's enough to store the UEFI BIOS and the bootloader.

BizarroPete

Yeah, we're trying to figure out what's going on. It's noticeable in Crackdown but Metro is almost unplayable on some displays. It's REALLY REALLY dark.
I haven't played Metro Exodus yet, but it's really noticeable in Crackdown 3. I tried to adjust my picture settings to compensate but couldn't find anything I was happy with. I hope MS is looking into this.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Yeah, the UI for Xbox is dreadful. The performance is bad enough, but the layout is also terrible as well. You'd really think that the world's biggest operating system company would be able to design a great console UI.

Yet we have the Win 10 start menu which need a mod to be usable, so really it's no surprise.

Caayn

Yet we have the Win 10 start menu which need a mod to be usable, so really it's no surprise.
What is the reason that you feel the need to mod the W10 start menu? I could understand the desire to do so in W8, but I'm curious what you want to alter on the W10 menu that can't be achieved with the built-in options.

Pro tip: "WinKey + X" is a quick shortcut to a lot of the more "super user" stuff, which in turns includes even more shortcuts if so desired.

For me the W10 main menu is fine for my needs, but for the more advanced stuff I use ConEmu (With Quake style enabled) + Powershell + oh-my-posh (for styling) and posh-git (for improved git intergration).

Last edited:
Top Bottom