• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York City (NYC) Restaurant Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

AggroWill

Neo Member
If you're a cheap bastard like me and don't mind hole-in-the-wall places for really good, specific foods, I have some suggestions.

Go Go Curry (38th and 8th avenue)
Japanese-style curry, rich, beefy sauce with crispy sausage, hard boiled egg, the works. Order the katsu, not the chicken; the chicken's too dry.

Pomme Frites (7th and 2nd avenue)
Belgian-style fries place. Lots of great sauces including regular frites sauce and truffle mayo, and even offers a pretty good poutine.

Vanessa's Dumpling House (14th between 3rd and 2nd or Eldritch and Broome)
Super-cheap, really good dumplings, but the real star are the sesame pancake sandwiches. $3 in change for a huge, crispy panini with roast pork or duck and vegetables. Best, cheapest lunch you'll find.

Gem Spa (St. Mark's Place and 2nd avenue)
It looks like a skeevy newsstand, and it is. However, it's also the best place to go to get an authentic egg cream. Try it at least once.

Hill Country (26th between 6th avenue and Broadway)
Real Texas barbecue, with moist brisket and beer can chicken. They have a whole pig smoke every Tuesday evening. They even stock Blue Bell ice cream and Big Red soda.

AggroWill

Neo Member
Go Go Curry has a bunch of locations now, there's one in Downtown too.

Really? Awesome! I always went to the one near Time's Square because I work in midtown (and go to Toys R Us for toy-hunting). Didn't know they expanded. Honestly, I was worried they closed, since I haven't been there in a few months.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Real Texas barbecue, with moist brisket and beer can chicken. They have a whole pig smoke every Tuesday evening. They even stock Blue Bell ice cream and Big Red soda.

This is a lie. As someone who grew up 5 minutes from Lockhart, TX (where they claim to get their inspiration from) I can say other than a Disney version of Central Texas BBQ deco it has very little in common with Central Texas BBQ. Their pit master is from NC which explains their affinity for cooking pig.

Ugg, I hate this place so much.

1) Real texas BBQ doesn't enter the same sentence with "whole pig smoke".

2) Their brisket is awful, isn't cooked nearly long enough, even the photos on their website show stringy ungainly meat that is neither moist enough or well cooked enough. This is consistent with someone who is used to smoking a pork shoulder for 6-8 hours where brikset takes much much longer than that.

3) The only good things on the menu are the ice cream and sausage and in both cases it's because they are simply serving items actually produced in central texas.

The two biggest lies I've encountered from native New Yorkers are "This is really good TexMex" and "This is super legit Texas BBQ". It doesn't exist. I've been to all of the places everyone has tried to send me.

Ilúvatar

Bar Bolud - 64th & Broad
My first true exposure to French cuisine, great food, awesome wine list. Indoor and outdoor seating.

Burger Joint - 8th between Macdougal and 5th Ave
Super affordable basic burgers that come with ketchup and mayo by default. Bonus: It's in back of a bar that usually has multiple Ommegang taps

Becco - 46th between 8th and 9th
One of Lidia's restaurants, they're famous for their unlimited triple pasta special. Classic Italian food.

5 Napkin Burger - Multiple locations
Big juicy burgers and great beer. You'll probably need more than five napkins. Lamb burger is bomb.

Dash27

This is a lie. As someone who grew up 5 minutes from Lockhart, TX (where they claim to get their inspiration from), their pit master is from NC which explains their affinity for cooking pig.

2) Their brisket is awful, isn't cooked nearly long enough, even the photos on their website show stringy ungainly meat that is neither moist enough or well cooked enough. This is consistent with someone who is used to smoking a pork shoulder for 6-8 hours where brikset takes much much longer than that.

3) The only good things on the menu are the ice cream and sausage and in both cases it's because they are simply serving items actually produced in central texas.

The two biggest lies I've encountered from native New Yorkers are "This is really good TexMex" and "This is super legit Texas BBQ". It doesn't exist. I've been to all of the places everyone has tried to send me.

I had the opposite experience. I've always lived in the NY area and I've been to Texas a few times now. San Antonio and then just recently Austin, and the food was great, but I didnt find it radically different than the good spots in NYC.

StoOgE

I had the opposite experience. I've always lived in the NY area and I've been to Texas a few times now. San Antonio and then just recently Austin, and the food was great, but I didnt find it radically different than the good spots in NYC.

The good stuff isn't in San Antonio or Austin.

AggroWill

Neo Member
This is a lie. As someone who grew up 5 minutes from Lockhart, TX (where they claim to get their inspiration from) I can say other than a Disney version of Central Texas BBQ deco it has very little in common with Central Texas BBQ. Their pit master is from NC which explains their affinity for cooking pig.

Then I am shamed and ignorant! I like Hill Country, but if you say it's not real Texas barbecue, that's fair. I don't have much frame of reference, only that it's good barbecue unlike the gimmicky, dry abortion that is Dallas BBQ scattered through the city.

Dinosaur Barbecue's great, though. Syracuse-based, awesome ribs and wings.

AggroWill

Neo Member

It's not a life if it's born of ignorance! I've never had barbecue in Texas, so I only know that stuff from Hill Country tastes good and seems to be good quality.

And let's be fair, New Yorkers know damn well there's no decent TexMex in the city. You can get some amazing gourmet "authentic" Mexican from a few places, but TexMex? Not happening anywhere in the northeast.

Kisaya

The only Tex Mex place I've ever gone to was Lobo and it's one of my favorite restaurants :B not in the position to say its good Tex Mex though >___<!!

Then I am shamed and ignorant! I like Hill Country, but if you say it's not real Texas barbecue, that's fair. I don't have much frame of reference, only that it's good barbecue unlike the gimmicky, dry abortion that is Dallas BBQ scattered through the city.

Dinosaur Barbecue's great, though. Syracuse-based, awesome ribs and wings.

Dallas BBQ is the saddest thing ever. Went there once because it's within easy walking distance of where I live and the UES location is just overweight families eating way more than anyone humanly should.

Not to mention, the food is entirely overcooked and slathered in far too much sauce.

I agree

entremet

Dallas BBQ is the saddest thing ever. Went there once because it's within easy walking distance of where I live and the UES location is just overweight families eating way more than anyone humanly should.

Not to mention, the food is entirely overcooked and slathered in far too much sauce.

Dallas BBQ is just a cheap chain. Their hook is there super low prices. But the food is terrible I would agree.

StoOgE

Oh shit, here comes the great BBQ debate ;p

Outside of some hipsters in Austin who want to take Selfies on Instagram waiting in line at Franklin, most people in Texas would agree that the better BBQ is in smaller towns (Lockhart, Luling, Elgin, Lexington, etc)

xsarien

daedsiluap

Hill Country was declared "the real deal" by none other than Gov. Rick Perry. If that's allegedly the gold standard, I can live without Texas barbecue.

If you want an out-of-the-way, mind-blowing burger, go to Molly's near Gramercy Park. It's a really small Irish pub, but they have a fireplace, whiskey, and a no-bull selection of booze.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I've had this thread subbed for ages now but I feel like it never gets any action. Glad there are people on here discussing good restaurants. :)

I went to Sushi Yasuda a few weeks ago with my girlfriend (after trying in vain to get reservations at Sushi Nakazawa). Outside of my trip to Japan, it was the best sushi I've had so far. All the pieces we got were very flavorful and interesting and I would definitely go back.

We didn't get omakase though, we ordered the "sushi matsu" which is essentially a selection of 12 sushi pieces per order. We got two of those and instead of selecting the sushi ourselves we told the waiter to have the chef select pieces for us, so it's basically a quasi-omakase experience. Each order was like $45-$50 (I forget the exact price), and that includes tip, so it was a very reasonable meal.

My next stop is going to be Tanoshi - I've heard they have really good sushi as well.

As far as ramen, there's a new place on 14th and 1st called Kambi that I really like. It's small and cozy but their ramen is quite good and it's not pricey at all. Recommended if you're in the area and don't want to wait ages to get into Ippudo.

GiJoccin

Gem Spa (St. Mark's Place and 2nd avenue)
It looks like a skeevy newsstand, and it is. However, it's also the best place to go to get an authentic egg cream. Try it at least once.

Gem spa has been solid in the past, but the last few egg creams i've had have been kind of a mess... and their prices went up. it's fine if the egg creams are 1.25 (it's just seltzer and a bit of milk, c'mon) but they're not anymore. the BEST egg cream i've had of recent memory is at fort defiance in red hook... bring back memories of when i was younger (except for the price)

My next stop is going to be Tanoshi - I've heard they have really good sushi as well.

went to tanoshi 2 months ago... AWESOME!

i have to admit, i haven't been to yasuda, but my ladyfriend has, and she said tanoshi can stand up to it, and they have more inventive sushi... definitely recommend it if you can nab a reservation.

recently trekked out to get pizza at houdini in ridgewood brooklyn - such an awesome spot. BYOB, reasonably priced, no waits, sick decor, definitely check it out if you don't mind riding the L train

xsarien

daedsiluap
As far as ramen, there's a new place on 14th and 1st called Kambi that I really like. It's small and cozy but their ramen is quite good and it's not pricey at all. Recommended if you're in the area and don't want to wait ages to get into Ippudo.

Try Ippudo West in midtown. The wait is just unbearable, as opposed to one that occasionally draws comparisons to Soviet bread lines.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
went to tanoshi 2 months ago... AWESOME!

i have to admit, i haven't been to yasuda, but my ladyfriend has, and she said tanoshi can stand up to it, and they have more inventive sushi... definitely recommend it if you can nab a reservation.

Awesome! I'll definitely give it a shot then.

recently trekked out to get pizza at houdini in ridgewood brooklyn - such an awesome spot. BYOB, reasonably priced, no waits, sick decor, definitely check it out if you don't mind riding the L train

Oh speaking of pizza, there's a collection of sister restaurants in the city with similar names (Gruppo, Posto, Tappo, etc.) that have amazing thin crust pizza. Try their Shroomtown pizza - really amazing truffle flavored pizza. I also recently went to L'asso for dinner but did not try their pizza. However the couple next to me ordered it and it looked incredible, so I'll have to check that one out.

Try Ippudo West in midtown. The wait is just unbearable, as opposed to one that occasionally draws comparisons to Soviet bread lines.

Haha that's a hilarious way of putting it. I may give Ippudo West a shot if I'm in the area and craving ramen.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Went to Ramen Co. while they're still having their soft opening to avoid the inevitable hordes of Yelp Warriors.

The inside is sparse, almost clinical. There's 3-4 tables to the left side of the door, in front of a long bench, with small chairs on the opposing side. The tables are followed by a long countertop with a bunch of elevated stools, enough to seat maybe 10-15 diners. Strangely, the countertop is built into the wall, not in front of the cooking area as is usual for these kinds of places.

The kitchen itself looks like something out of a upscale grocer-deli, like Whole Foods, with bottles of sauces, aluminum ppans full of toppings, and sunken pots of broth heated from underneath the counter. An open refridgerator stands next to the counter stock with the usual suspects, water, sparkling water, some fruit juices, Ito En for the purists and Tea's Tea for the less than pure.

Ramen Burger - $8
The first thing I noted was how damn small it was, coming out to hardly larger than a Big Mac.
iYXaBBY6pFTHP.jpg
My own hand for comparison.
The other disappointment was how fast I received my order, as if all the ingredients were already precooked and waiting for a customer. Now, this may just be a symptom of a soft release because they need to cook some ingredients ahead of time, and can't be expected to sell all of it, but I would much rather have had my burger made to order considering the price I'm paying for it.

After taking a few bites, I decided that this was pretty much just another burger, and not a particularly notable one at that. The ramen bun is novel, but doesn't add much to the overall appeal of the burger. The toppings and sauce are fresh, but I'd take a Shackburger over this any day of the week. The patty was also cooked medium-well to well, I don't think they give you an option here, but I didn't ask so maybe they do it differently on request. It was kind of bland and flat tasting overall.

The most surprising thing was that, after finishing it, I was still pretty damn hungry. I'm not a big eater so this was a bit of a shock, and immediately after finishing it I went and ordered a bowl of ramen for something properly filling.

Wakayama Shoyu Ramen - $11
There's not much to say here. You have the standard toppings, standard Hakata style tonkotsu broth that is so popular in NYC, standard Suntory noodles cooked al dente. The pork was pretty good, and I got a lot of it. A bit oversalted, and there is a lot of fat on that pork. I also noted that the pork was taken out of one of those sunken containers on the countertop. When I go to, like, Ippudo (or during my recent trip to Jin), I can see the chefs carefully roasting and browning the pork by handtorch pretty much all the time. The pork you get there is always fresh and hot. Here, it was almost cool. I had to sink it into the broth to let it warm up a bit. There's nothing special about the broth either. None like the ma-yu used in Hide-chan, the Yuzu pepper that's flavors Jin's shio ramen, Bassanova's thai curry, or Totto's light-but-rich chicken broth. I couldn't really taste the other toppings, particularly the sliced wood ear mushrooms, which were really bland.

The biggest difference, between the ramen served here and the ramen served elsewhere in the city, is that the bowl is not brought to you. You pick it up at the counter, where it's placed on a metal dish and you're given a thin plastic spoon (wat) and disposable chopsticks, just a tad sturdier than the ubiquitous chinese takeout chopsticks you can find everywhere. I felt like I was back in China, at breakfast, eating wonton soup priced and presented for the working class (except the food wasn't as good, and maybe 10 times more expensive). Which leads me to my next point.

What is the audience of this restaurant? In presentation and speed, it feels like a fast food place. In fact, I usually wait longer at many chain fast food places than I waited for my food today. It was almost as fast as getting food from a Halal stand. Again, the distinct lack of customers might be the issue here but considering how many prefabbed ingredients they had ready to assemble into menu items, I wouldn't be surprised if the speed was intentional.

But if it designed to be a "fast food" experience, why the hell is it in the Financial District? And why the exorbitant prices, especially for the signature ramen burger? $11 for a bowl of Ramen is standard, I guess, but even at that price point most other ramen places have some special gimmick to set their bowl apart. Meanwhile, $8 for a burger that is not really great or filling just feels like daylight robbery.

Writing all this, however, I am reminded of the rows and rows of trendy food cart/trucks that decorate the streets of the Financial District, and I realized the answer to my questions: Ramen Co. is supposed to be fast food-style ramen for the yuppies that dominate the Financial District area.

Anyway I think it's worth a single trip to at least try out the ramen burger, but if I'm ever craving ramen, I'd rather make the trek to Midtown/Uptown (and I live in Staten Island) rather than settle for this place.

GiJoccin

i went there for the soft opening, and thought the brooklyn ramen was pretty solid. definitely have kinks to work out, but the noodles were nicely cooked, pork was definitely over-salty but very tasty, egg was awesome. i have zero interest in the ramen burger. it's totally geared towards servicing the business types that eat out for lunch, so it's set to semi-rapidly service lunch

i5yh2U13k1KyN.jpg

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
http://www.xianfoods.com/locations.php

Literally started as a hole in the wall. Maybe not even that, because it was underground, so more like hole in the floor.

If you go to the one in East Village you can show your parents the hipster experience and how even the simplest foods are turned into a line-going-around-the-block experience by college aged Yelpsters,

I went to this place after reading it in a buzzfeed list of best restaurants. Their beef tastes like taco bell's shredded meat. It's pretty awful. Amazing noodles, but good god that meat was horrendous. Also left my body in a similar state as if I had gone to Taco Bell.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I am possibly one of two people on this board that cares about this:
Swung by Hide-chan tonight for dinner. Noticed the Totto signboard hanging over an under-construction area. As someone who rarely goes to West Side, this is a godsend, so, get hype. Hopefully it'll deliver the quality the original Totto was known for.

GiJoccin

I am possibly one of two people on this board that cares about this:

Swung by Hide-chan tonight for dinner. Noticed the Totto signboard hanging over an under-construction area. As someone who rarely goes to West Side, this is a godsend, so, get hype. Hopefully it'll deliver the quality the original Totto was known for.

yeaaaa from what i understand the current expansion Totto suffers from a drop in quality fro the original

This is a grocery store question: does anyone know any places that sell different varieties of banana? I think the ones available everywhere are all Cavandish type, and they're all clones. I'm wondering if other varieties taste different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom