• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York City (NYC) Restaurant Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Himself

Alright GAF so my fiancée and I are leaving the city and want to go big before we head out. Right now, it's basically Per Se vs. Eleven Madison Park. Would anyone care to recommend one over the other and why? Or perhaps a different recommendation? As long as it isn't primarily sea food focused (fiancée's discrepancy, not mine) like Chef's Table, we're open to whatever.

I don't know where you live but on Staten Island there has been a rash of Mexican delis that make "authentic" tacos with rarer fillings like lengua and barbacoa. They also sell things like deep fried pork skins and Horchata. Totally unassuming places staffed with and catering to the Hispanic population on SI.

Might be true for other boroughs but I can't really say. A new place opened up just a minute from me and that's where I go for all my taco cravings.

Another person on Staten Island? I'm not sure if a brofist or sad face is more appropriate :p

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Another person on Staten Island? I'm not sure if a brofist or sad face is more appropriate :p

I think this is most appropriate:
sad-i-know-that-feel-bro_3969556_lrg.jpg

bob page

Alright GAF so my fiancée and I are leaving the city and want to go big before we head out. Right now, it's basically Per Se vs. Eleven Madison Park. Would anyone care to recommend one over the other and why? Or perhaps a different recommendation? As long as it isn't primarily sea food focused (fiancée's discrepancy, not mine) like Chef's Table, we're open to whatever.

EMP was rated one of the top restaurants in the country this year, so I'd go with that.

Eleven Madison Park likes to riff on New York's culinary history (e.g., black and white cookies with truffles, egg creams with upmarket ingredients), so that could be fun if you're leaving the city. Most people love their more involved tableside presentations; others will find them contrived and exasperating. Regardless, EMP is operating on a very high level.

Per Se's food is slightly better, but their standard tasting menu is littered with supplement costs ($75 caviar upgrade, $40 foie gras, $100+ for truffles etc.) on top of the $295 base price. Granted, all those prices include service (e.g., the $295 tasting menu would be listed as ~$245 in other restaurants), but you can easily reach a price tier above EMP's $195 menu cost if you don't practice restraint. It's up to you whether the quiet, more intimate dining room and the fourth floor view of Columbus Circle is worth the difference.

Himself

Eleven Madison Park likes to riff on New York's culinary history (e.g., black and white cookies with truffles, egg creams with upmarket ingredients), so that could be fun if you're leaving the city. Most people love their more involved tableside presentations; others will find them contrived and exasperating. Regardless, EMP is operating on a very high level.

Per Se's food is slightly better, but their standard tasting menu is littered with supplement costs ($75 caviar upgrade, $40 foie gras, $100+ for truffles etc.) on top of the $295 base price. Granted, all those prices include service (e.g., the $295 tasting menu would be listed as ~$245 in other restaurants), but you can easily reach a price tier above EMP's $195 menu cost if you don't practice restraint. It's up to you whether the quiet, more intimate dining room and the fourth floor view of Columbus Circle is worth the difference.

Cool. Good to know. I'm personally more drawn toward EMP just because it looks like it would be the more memorable experience.

I've been on a hiatus over the last few months (having a child will do that to your late night culinary adventures) but recently managed to make it to a few neighborhood gems for some decent meals.

Seersucker on Smith St delivers the best fried chicken I have had in NYC hands down. The service and decor is definitely more 'Brooklyn' than the price point denotes but definitely worth every penny. (4 people + two bottles of wine $90pp)

The Pines on 3rd Ave in Gowanus really amazing flavors, nice uncommon ingredients the Chef is definitely trying to do something there (update: just found out he is leaving, but his sous chef is taking over)

Dinosaur BBQ opened a new location on Union st Gowanus. Pretty meh but the wings remain the best non-buffalo style chicken wings around.

Looking forward to Grand Central Oyster Bar opening up in the fall in Park Slope.

So we have 1 more day here. Would like recommendation for $20ish lunch $30ish dinner. We have just been using urban spoon, but would like to hit a recommended restaurant. Any cuisine would be fine.
Edit: we have had lombardis and grimaldis and shake shack, as well as yum yum, hummus kitchen, and an Italian place called sora something.

Haly

So we have 1 more day here. Would like recommendation for $20ish lunch $30ish dinner. We have just been using urban spoon, but would like to hit a recommended restaurant. Any cuisine would be fine.
Edit: we have had lombardis and grimaldis and shake shack, as well as yum yum, hummus kitchen, and an Italian place called sora something.

$30 for one or for two?

Have you checked out NYC's ramen scene yet?

For $20~ lunch:
Totto Ramen - 366 W 52nd St near the 50th street C,E and 1 stations
Hide-Chan Ramen - 248 E 52nd St near the 51st street 6 station and 53rd street E, M stations
Ippudo East Village - 65 4th Ave near the 4, 5, 6, N, Q, R Union Square stations, the Astor Place 6 station, and the 8th street N, R station
Ippudo Midtown West - 321 W 51st St near the 50th street C,E and 1 stations
Yuji Ramen @ Bowery Whole Foods - 95 E Houston St near the Bleecker Street 6 station, the Broadway B, D, F, M stations, and the 2nd avenue F station

Thanks haly. Ramen just didn't seem to be appetizing, is it good? Never had any ramen except out of the packets.

how are you? This is ULCajun if you didn't know. Didn't know you were living here

We ended up going to the burger joint for lunch. Have any dinner recommendations? Was thinking maybe Chinese, Japanese, or something more exotic that you don't find often. We could go up to $50 a plate if it is worth it.

Haly

I'm good, and yes I thought I remembered your username.

And ramen is good, once you had the non-packet stuff you'll see why we're so crazy about it here.

Another name comes to mind, The Lobster Place in Chelsea Market, 75 9th Ave between 15th and 16th. They do a great New England clam chowder (get the bread bowl) as well as lots of other fresh seafood including whole lobsters on a plate. The Market also has lots of other food shops and places where you can pick up a souvenir or some such. It's also right next to the Highline elevated park which is something to see before you leave.

Haly

I was going to go to Ippudo last week, super long wait. I guess that's per usual.

Yeah, for the Ippudo at East Village. The one at Midtown is better about lines because it's relatively new.

Taking lines into account you should probably avoid Totto and Ippudo East Village, both are kind of monopolized by our yelp warriors.

entremet

Yeah, for the Ippudo at East Village. The one at Midtown is better about lines because it's relatively new.

Taking lines into account you should probably avoid Totto and Ippudo East Village, both are kind of monopolized by our yelp warriors.

I went to Ippudo West! I was hoping for shorter waits.

Davidion

Didn't Yuji close at Whole Foods? Thought I read their season was over. If you want to get into Hide Chan, Ippudo, or especially Ramen Totto, GO EARLY.

Anyways, also go to Curry Ya on 9th street bet. 1st and 2nd ave, if you want something wonderfully homey yet unhealthy, and then go to Chikalicious, a sit-down multi-course dessert place across the street. Curry Ya should be roughly $20-25/head max, and Chikalicious is 14/head, I think. Both are busy, so go early.

Another nice option for the price is Momofuku Ssam bar on 2nd ave and I want to say 13th or 12th street? It's near the two places I mentioned above.

Some of my favs...

La Taza de Oro - 18th St and 8th Ave.
By far the best Puerto Rican food in Manhattan, and, I challenge anyone to find a place with better ambience anywhere in the city. Closed on Sunday.

Cafe Himalaya - 1st St and 1st Ave
Ultra high quality. Low priced, BYOB. Their avocado salad is to die for.

Champs - 176 Ainslie St, Brooklyn, NY
I'm not a vegan, but this is by far my favorite vegan lace in the city. Get the sag with hollandaise sauce. It's sex in your mouth. Great for breakfast.

Caracas - 7th St and 1st Ave
Venezuelan orgasms at their finest. The arepas here are the best in the world. Their coconut milk shake will get you laid. I promise. There's one in Williamsburg too.

Jaiya - 28th and 3rd
Ultimate Thai food. The massaman has pineapple in it. Oh my god, I need it right now.

That'll be enough for now. More to come later.

Haly

Didn't Yuji close at Whole Foods? Thought I read their season was over. If you want to get into Hide Chan, Ippudo, or especially Ramen Totto, GO EARLY.
Yuji's still trucking at Smorgasburg. Was there just two weeks ago.

Another nice option for the price is Momofuku Ssam bar on 2nd ave and I want to say 13th or 12th street? It's near the two places I mentioned above.
Ssam bar is pretty expensive! Considering the size of the portions, and if you want to order a cocktail then expect another $14. It's a nice place though.

I've still never been to any Momofuko restaurant. I have been to two of the Milk Bars (cereal milk-shakes is my joint), but not Noodle Bar, Ko, or Ssam. Dunno which one to go to first. Noodle Bar you can just walk in, right, and order a la carte? While at Ko you need to reserve a specific time and do the whole meal?

Haly

Momofuku Noodle isn't well thought of in ramen circles, it's regularly absent from top ramen of the city lists. Dunno about Ko. I can vouch for Ssam, however. While it's a little overpriced (what restaurant near Union Square isn't?), their cocktails and appetizers are both really good.

beat

Momofuku Noodle isn't well thought of in ramen circles, it's regularly absent from top ramen of the city lists. Dunno about Ko. I can vouch for Ssam, however. While it's a little overpriced (what restaurant near Union Square isn't?), their cocktails and appetizers are both really good.
I dunno if Noodle Bar is great ramen but I thought it was really good food.

nitewulf

I've been on a hiatus over the last few months (having a child will do that to your late night culinary adventures) but recently managed to make it to a few neighborhood gems for some decent meals.

Seersucker on Smith St delivers the best fried chicken I have had in NYC hands down. The service and decor is definitely more 'Brooklyn' than the price point denotes but definitely worth every penny. (4 people + two bottles of wine $90pp)

The Pines on 3rd Ave in Gowanus really amazing flavors, nice uncommon ingredients the Chef is definitely trying to do something there (update: just found out he is leaving, but his sous chef is taking over)

Dinosaur BBQ opened a new location on Union st Gowanus. Pretty meh but the wings remain the best non-buffalo style chicken wings around.

Looking forward to Grand Central Oyster Bar opening up in the fall in Park Slope.

check out Clover Club, hands down some of the best cocktails in the city, and their lamb sliders are fantastic.

also, Bar Tano, sister bar of Bar Toto is on 3rd and 6th, fantastic pasta.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
My family was in town over the past two weeks so I've had the chance to try quite a few restaurants. Here are some of my favorites:

Bistango (Kips Bay): Cute little Italian restaurant with generally good food, but their desserts are to die for. I'm not normally a dessert person but their blackberry gelato and their molten chocolate cake were orgasmic.

Jack's Wife Freda (Soho): My new favorite brunch place. Very healthy and wholesome breakfast fare with a Middle Eastern flair.

Northern Spy Food Co (Alphabet City): Their biscuits are incredible, with an amazing raspberry honey butter that tastes like nothing you've had before. The rest of their food is also good. They have a southern influence, so you can get some nice shandies as well as grits and other staples.

Cafe Condesa (West Village): Walked in here randomly with my sister and discovered a fantastic little restaurant that has incredible coffee really tasty lunch. It's got a Mexican-flavored menu, but besides that I don't remember much since this was almost two weeks ago. I do remember my sister and I both being impressed with the quality of the food we ordered.

bob page

My parents are coming to visit me next month and want to goto some good "hole in the wall" type restaurants that aren't overly expensive but have a nice, unique experience (they especially want to try a good NY deli).

I'm planning on taking them to Kashkaval and Robertas- any other ideas?

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Kombit Restaurant near Barclay Center is the best Haitian food I've found in the city. take em there for something different.

Haly

My parents are coming to visit me next month and want to goto some good "hole in the wall" type restaurants that aren't overly expensive but have a nice, unique experience (they especially want to try a good NY deli).

http://www.xianfoods.com/locations.php

Literally started as a hole in the wall. Maybe not even that, because it was underground, so more like hole in the floor.

If you go to the one in East Village you can show your parents the hipster experience and how even the simplest foods are turned into a line-going-around-the-block experience by college aged Yelpsters,

bob page

http://www.xianfoods.com/locations.php

Literally started as a hole in the wall. Maybe not even that, because it was underground, so more like hole in the floor.

If you go to the one in East Village you can show your parents the hipster experience and how even the simplest foods are turned into a line-going-around-the-block experience by college aged Yelpsters,

I've been to the one in midtown & love it. Only thing is that they don't like asian food. Another thing: it has to be a sit-down place.

GiJoccin

I've been to the one in midtown & love it. Only thing is that they don't like asian food. Another thing: it has to be a sit-down place.

how can they want hole in the wall type places, and NOT want asian food???

http://www.yelp.com/biz/agora-turkish-restaurant-new-york

not sure if it's worth a trek to the UES, but if you were planning on going up there anyways, it's really good food, and BYOB. never crowded either.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/tartine-new-york

west village, french bistro-y food, also BYOB and pretty cheap, and good

otherwise it's probably going to be mexican food if you want to stay in manhattan

Haly

There's always Artichoke Pizza, I'm pretty sure they have seats but it's not really a sit down kind of thing.

The combination of "hole in the wall", "sit down" and "not Asian" is pretty narrow though!

massoluk

Banned
My 2 cents. Sripraphai in the op is not that well regarded among Thai in New York.

Wondee Siam and Zabb Elee in Manhattan, and Chao Thai at Elmhurst are more to my liking.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber

I mean Katz's, since you said the word deli.

Otherwise Burger Joint in Le Park Meridian. Don't say anything about it and let them be confused when you walk into a nice hotel and then enter a different world altogether.

So I am visiting a girl for the weekend in Brooklyn. We are looking for a nicer restaurant to dine in. Not too expensive but willing to pay a good amount.

Also any suggestions for adventurous places to eat? I was thinking Flushing. Any suggestion is appreciated. This will be my first time ever in NYC!!!!!!

Haly

Flushing is definitely an adventure especially if you're not squeamish about spicy stuff.

And we probably have a lot of Oktoberfest things around the city. just the other day there was a small cider festival at union square.

friday

So I am visiting a girl for the weekend in Brooklyn. We are looking for a nicer restaurant to dine in. Not too expensive but willing to pay a good amount.

Also any suggestions for adventurous places to eat? I was thinking Flushing. Any suggestion is appreciated. This will be my first time ever in NYC!!!!!!

What would you consider to be not too expensive? I went to a place called Freeman's not long ago with my girlfriend. We had one app, one drink each, and two entrees for right at $100. The trout and steak we had were great. Also a good date spot, low key and cozy.

What would you consider to be not too expensive? I went to a place called Freeman's not long ago with my girlfriend. We had one app, one drink each, and two entrees for right at $100. The trout and steak we had were great. Also a good date spot, low key and cozy.

$50 or less per person is ideal. A lot of the places we wanted to go only allowed 21+ (We are both 20 :/ ) I'll look into Freeman's though.

Haly

La Sirene is a good date spot. French, and not wallet sinking. Good atmosphere although you'll want to get a seat away from the kitchen because let me tell you, the French aren't shy about oil and fat.

Zyzyxxz

So I'm planning a trip in March assuming work stuff doesn't get in the way:

Here is my eating itinerary at least what I will try to get to:

Neta omakase
Ssam Bar
Ivan Ramen
Jean George (lunch prix fixe)
Grammercy Tavern (lunch)
Katz Deli
Kajitsu (tasting menu)
Le Bernandin (lunch prix fixe)
Marea (lunch)
Epicerie Boulud
Minetta Tavern (for the black label burger)
Tori Shin (omakase)

Any additional suggestions or alterations I should consider?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So,

I've been living in the city for a while now and have stumbled upon some favorite eateries:

Jacobs Pickles - UWS - love love love love love. Fun food, 2 blocks from my house

Mermaid Inn - 120 for a really nice date night with the wife, good food, fun atmosphere

Dutch - Probably our go to special occasion place. Lots of fun, really good food

Public/Saxon+Parole - Technically "nicer" than Dutch. Similar vibe, better food. Used both for Valentines Dates.

Antique Garage - Fun little place for drinks and appetizers in the LES

WD50 - Go for the bar and get some bites. It's too weird for weirds sake for a whole meal.

Obviously we've been to a good number more places (Jean George is quickly become my favorite of the upper tier resteraunts for both the space, food and price... our return trip to Per Se really wasn't as memorable as our trip 2 years earlier, Daniel is nice but for the quality and price I would rather be at Jean George).

Haly

Terakwa is actually really cheap compared to other ramen places around the city. When the average bowl like $12-$13, Terakwa's 9$-$10 is pretty impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom