• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York City (NYC) Restaurant Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the 4 course. The tasting was available, but with Per Se reservations that night we decided to take it easy. I believe both the 4 course and the tasting are available for dinner as well.

I didn't dislike EMP. I just don't think it really compares to Per Se or Le Bernardin when it comes to food. The setting is amazing, and the service was very good.
You are the second or third person I have heard say this, and I used to say the same until I had the dinner service tasting. It was really, really exceptional... I would say give this a try sometime. I had the regular 4 course a couple of years ago and must agree it wasn't indicative of a 3 star place but back then it was 1 star so I thought it was worth it.

Xcellere

I'm from New York originally (live in CA now), and this thread has provided me many great tips. Many thanks to the OP.

My absolutely favorite restaurant in NYC is The Palm. I've been going there since I'm a kid and if I had to define comfort food for myself, this is it. I've gotten the same things for about twenty years now: house salad (unbelievable in its own right), New York strip steak, 5 pound male lobster, cream spinach, half & half (code for fried onion rings and chips), and a nice red wine. There are Palms all over the US, but the one on Second Ave. is the original and has a character all its own.

For those of you that don't know the restaurant, their interior walls are painted with customers they've had since the early 1900s. My father recently got put on the wall:

palm.png

Meatball Shop looks amazing. Out of all my years of living in NYC I never went because I am always eating clean. This place looks like my next cheat meal.

nitewulf

Looking mostly in Brooklyn for the ramen. I've found a couple, but the ones in Manhattan are better (as you pointed out). I was spoiled living in the village for a few years... had many great places so close.

could it be, that you MOVED to brooklyn? oh my!

anyway, snarkiness aside, Zu Zu Ramen in Park Slope is good.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/zuzu-ramen-brooklyn

i've been, and i liked it. very hearty broth, very fatty pork. i've personally toned down on the fatty stuff so i really don't do ramen or deep friend stuff anymore, but this is a decent ramen shop last time i was there.

which brings me to this place:
Je'Bon on St, Marks
http://www.yelp.com/biz/jebon-sushi-and-noodle-house-new-york#query:je'bon

i dont know what their regular food is like, probably very generic stuff, but they have a Scallion/Ginger Grilled Chicken Breast soup for lunch....and it is very, very good.

GiJoccin

Went to Traif in Bk - delicious! Really liked the small plates, and drinks were awesome. Pretty cool that they can do so much in such a small space (5 burners and a prep station)

Anyone here been to Takashi? It looks really good, but one of my friends has been there and said it was OK, not worth the cost

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Went to Takashi a few nights ago, and came away somewhat impressed. The food is pricey considering what you're getting, but there's no denying the quality of the beef they're serving. Their take on a steak tartare was excellent - instead of finely dicing the meat they cut it into noodle strands, marinated in sesame oil, soy a quail egg and other seasonings. the texture was fantastic, and something you usually wouldn't expect out of a tartare dish.

we tried a couple of the 'exotic' dishes and cuts of meat, but came away unimpressed - the stomach was rubbery and the testicargot had little flavor outside its heavy butter and garlic dressing. the Tongue Experience, which contains portions of the different parts of the tongue, was great, and the marinated slabs of beef cheek and short rib melt in your mouth.

outside the beef cheek, the best part of dinner was the dessert. they make their own vanilla soft serve ice cream and toppings, which we paired with salted caramel. the best damn thing i've had in my mount all year.

i think it's worth going to, but be prepared for an expensive check if you're at all interested in trying out multiple items to grill.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
My friends and I have a pretty awesome weekly tradition of trying out a new restaurant for dinner, and one of the standouts is Yaffa Cafe in the East Village. We stumbled across this place completely by accident, as the place we had originally chosen was full and couldn't accommodate us. This place looks like a hole in the wall, but it has some of the best food I've had in New York so far. I think I got the Sea Bass (this was almost a month ago, so I forget exactly what I ordered), but I remember that everything we ordered was absolutely delicious. The best part of it all is that they offer quinoa as a side instead of rice, which is phenomenal considering I love quinoa, it was cooked exceedingly well, and it is super healthy. We also ordered a cake for dessert, which was heavenly.

Sorry I don't have more details about what exactly we ordered, but I only just discovered this thread and thought I would contribute. I will try to have more detailed posts going forward.

Zyzyxxz

I think I and another GAFer will be working on an international fine dining thread that will probably cater to big US cities and popular dining cities around the world.

If anybody wants to contribute they are free to since nobody is an expert of restaurants around the world (except the 1% GAF Gold members who can afford it)

My in-laws love American Italian food, and I hate it. I want to open their eyes to more traditional Italian fare (less saucy; more distinct flavors). What do you recommend that is moderately priced?

I've been to Sfoglia and like it a lot, but it's a bit expensive (actually, their prix fixe is not bad).

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
take them for a tour of Eataly. they could shop at the market, partake in the rooftop beer garden, sample the winebar or sit at one of many restaurants inside.

you can't go wrong within Batalia's love shack.

I think I and another GAFer will be working on an international fine dining thread that will probably cater to big US cities and popular dining cities around the world.

If anybody wants to contribute they are free to since nobody is an expert of restaurants around the world (except the 1% GAF Gold members who can afford it)

I'd love to chip in. I have some decent knowledge of Chicago and Vegas, and can offer some advice on London, and a few parts of Italy(Rome, Florence, Piedmont). I know Barcelona quite well after being lucky enough to have two eatcations there.

Second, can't wait till he opens Eataly LA!

On my way there now to shop for Christmas dinner :)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It was probably a bad idea to visit Totto Ramen on a Friday evening without preparation.

God damn lines, I'm so hungry right now.

Barrett2

take them for a tour of Eataly. they could shop at the market, partake in the rooftop beer garden, sample the winebar or sit at one of many restaurants inside.

you can't go wrong within Batalia's love shack.

My mom loved that place. Ultimate mom destination when visiting NYC.

Gonna be heading to Jean Georges this weekend... haven't had time to peruse the thread, but what do you recommend?

They usually have two tasting menus, one composed of signature dishes, and another that's more seasonally based. The fun part is that the diners at the table all don't have to get the same tasting. So get both and share!

I went to Torrisi last week and had their new tasting menu based on the "history" of New York food. 20 courses, many of them small bites, some very clever, and mostly very delicious. One course was a "Chicken Oyster" dish of fried chicken oysters, in oyster sauce, and cashews. It was cheap Chinese food done to perfection. One of my favorite dishes of the last few years. They also had an excellent wine paring. I'd highly recommend it in the casual, high end tasting category. The food doesn't reach the heights of Brooklyn Fare or Ko, but it is very fun.

Some of the stronger dishes I've tried on the current dinner menu (at least according to JG's website):

Yellowfin tuna ribbons, avocado, spicy radish, ginger marinade
Santa Barbara sea urchin, black bread, jalapeño and yuzu
Gulf shrimp, shaved water chestnuts, silky kabocha, saffron and chipotle
Turbot with Château Chalon sauce
Black sea bass crusted with nuts and seeds, sweet and sour jus
Parmesan crusted organic chicken, artichokes, basil and lemon butter
Duck breast topped with cracked Jordan almonds, amaretto jus

I would guess that the two foie gras dishes and the gnocchi with black truffle would at least be pretty good. Doing dueling tasting menus as captscience suggested can be a good approach, especially if you haven't tried JG's signature dishes.

They usually have two tasting menus, one composed of signature dishes, and another that's more seasonally based. The fun part is that the diners at the table all don't have to get the same tasting. So get both and share!

I went to Torrisi last week and had their new tasting menu based on the "history" of New York food. 20 courses, many of them small bites, some very clever, and mostly very delicious. One course was a "Chicken Oyster" dish of fried chicken oysters, in oyster sauce, and cashews. It was cheap Chinese food done to perfection. One of my favorite dishes of the last few years. They also had an excellent wine paring. I'd highly recommend it in the casual, high end tasting category. The food doesn't reach the heights of Brooklyn Fare or Ko, but it is very fun.
Yeah, Torrisi 2.0 sounds much more interesting than its previous incarnation.

Mahonay

Banned
If you're in Williamsburg hit up Peter's Since 1969. Just the best comfort food ever, home cooked style. One of my favorite places in the city to eat. It's nothing fancy but well worth it.

I had a nice business lunch yesterday at Onya in midtown. Large curry Udon with beef and the soft boiled tempura egg came in nicely at about $11 for a huge portion. The noodles are thick and almost al dente, and the curry was quite light. Reviews seem to have it pegged at around 3.5 stars but I would highly recommend for a cheap mid town lunch.

I had a nice business lunch yesterday at Onya in midtown. Large curry Udon with beef and the soft boiled tempura egg came in nicely at about $11 for a huge portion. The noodles are thick and almost al dente, and the curry was quite light. Reviews seem to have it pegged at around 3.5 stars but I would highly recommend for a cheap mid town lunch.

My wife and I have decided that we're going next time we're in town.

Thanks for the heads up!

Davidion

What dumb fucker rated Onya a 3.5?

This reminds me that I need to go back there...best Udon shop in the city.

Dash27

Hi GAF.

I'm looking to surprise the wife for her birthday this year. I'm going to do about 15-20 people or so and I want to take her someplace nice. We recently did a private room for my cousin at Daniel (listed in the OP and excellent!). Any thoughts on which other restaurant would be a good choice for a private room event?

I'm not gonna say money is no object but I'm ok with $100-150 a head or so.

I was looking through Zagats and here and these two jump out, but wanted to ask if anyone had any other ideas:

Le Bernardin: www.le-bernardin.com
Eleven Madison Park: www.elevenmadisonpark.com
and
Bouley: http://www.davidbouley.com/

Oh PS from the OP:

Magnolia Bakery – Stop being a cupcake whore, especially when they suck

True. Cupcake sucked.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So, the fiancee and I are talking about moving to NYC in about 8-12 months.

This may not be the exact thread for this, but I want to ask here because y'all are generally helpful.

we are thinking about Hell's Kitchen around 9th/10th avenue and 54th street.

Two question, one which is relevant to the thread, one which is not.

1) Is this a reasonably quiet part of town? I know it's near Columbus circle which is a little crazy, but I think it's far enough away, and it's pretty far away from Times Square. We want to be near the park and Columbus circle so that we can go there regularly, but not so close that it feels like we are in the middle of it.

2) Food recomendations. I know that it's near some amazing food (Per Se, Masa, etc) but wanted to know if there are any good bars and "every day" food recomendations in that part of town. We would want a couple of good bars (a nice pub for beer, some pre-prohibition style cocktail bar would be great too), and just kind of decent food you could expect to eat on a normal weeknight. 10-20 dollars a person, etc.

The fiancee is a pescatarian, so places with veggie or fish options would be great, lighter fare as well (i.e. not "chinese" food consisting of Candied meat). Sushi would be awesome, but I know it's rare to find an "affordable" sushi place.

Thanks guys!

bob page

So, the fiancee and I are talking about moving to NYC in about 8-12 months.

This may not be the exact thread for this, but I want to ask here because y'all are generally helpful.

we are thinking about Hell's Kitchen around 9th/10th avenue and 54th street.

Two question, one which is relevant to the thread, one which is not.

1) Is this a reasonably quiet part of town? I know it's near Columbus circle which is a little crazy, but I think it's far enough away, and it's pretty far away from Times Square. We want to be near the park and Columbus circle so that we can go there regularly, but not so close that it feels like we are in the middle of it.

2) Food recomendations. I know that it's near some amazing food (Per Se, Masa, etc) but wanted to know if there are any good bars and "every day" food recomendations in that part of town. We would want a couple of good bars (a nice pub for beer, some pre-prohibition style cocktail bar would be great too), and just kind of decent food you could expect to eat on a normal weeknight. 10-20 dollars a person, etc.

The fiancee is a pescatarian, so places with veggie or fish options would be great, lighter fare as well (i.e. not "chinese" food consisting of Candied meat). Sushi would be awesome, but I know it's rare to find an "affordable" sushi place.

Thanks guys!
That's prolly better for the NYC OT:

http://secondapps.com/mockup/showthread.php?t=458717

GiJoccin

I'm taking the lady friend to eleven madison in a few weeks - anybody have thoughts on the 4 course vs full tasting menu for dinner?

I'm taking the lady friend to eleven madison in a few weeks - anybody have thoughts on the 4 course vs full tasting menu for dinner?

I haven't been since their menu concept changed so I can't say which way is better, but either way, you should consider asking for the roast duck for two. It's amazing and by far my favorite dish that I've had there.

In related news, I checked out their new place the Nomad a few weeks ago. Crowded, swanky space. Fantastic and deep cocktail list. We had the tasting menu that was largely served family style. It was good fun, with some clever presentation flourishes that I won't spoil. Food was unfussy but perfectly executed. The milk and honey dessert is ridiculous.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
The table next to me had it when I went there in December.

My fiancee (at the time girlfriend, since it was about 4 hours before I popped the question) is a pescatarian.. so no duck for two for me.

Maybe next time I should convince them I have the appetite of two. Or try and hand them a few dollars extra to get it anyway.

GiJoccin

It's not on the menu on the website, but I saw at least one yelp review where it was offered despite not being on the menu... crossing my fingers

It's not on the menu on the website, but I saw at least one yelp review where it was offered despite not being on the menu... crossing my fingers

I think it's a always off the menu but often available kind of thing. I've read that some people have called ahead to pre-order the duck. Enjoy!

guess

I went in November. The online menu is just a sample. The same menu was there in November. Anyway, I had the four course. I don't like seafood so I would have been wasting food had I done the tasting menu. The table beside me opted for the tasting menu. Everything looked great... too bad I hate seafood.

It mostly out of focus, but here is the menu I had (lunch):
6990452258_406ffa8295_z.jpg

And the duck:
7136537629_c25fec3083_z.jpg

7136537635_f86111a932_z.jpg

7136537587_811856af63_z.jpg

My wife is taking the kids (5&6 years old) to NYC tomorrow and is looking for a place for breakfast on Saturday for her, the kids and her sister. She's staying in Midtown and would like to stay roughly in that area.

Thanks in advance.

What price range?

Sarabeth's is popular.

Thanks! I just texted her the info. Any place that's relatively kid friendly will have roughly the same price range no? I mean, you're not going to bring kids to the places listed in the OP. Anyway, 40-60 bucks for the three of them? I don't want to say price is no problem but they definitely don't want McDonalds.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll let you know how/if they liked it.

Haly

That's the place I'm looking at right now, yeah.

Do you know approximately how big it is?

Haly

The guinea pig. This is going to be a dinner for two and I was wondering if it's enough or if I'll be looking to order something else as well.

Davidion

The guinea pig. This is going to be a dinner for two and I was wondering if it's enough or if I'll be looking to order something else as well.

There's a picture of it in the menu. Based on the size comparison it looks to be the size of a fist and two comes on a plate with beans and trimmings.

Don't know how much you eat, but I'd say one order is a suitable meal for one person.

Haly

That's a single guinea pig I think, they're usually quartered into 4 parts + the head.

I guess I'll order something to fill up, thanks for the suggestion David :3

Davidion

That's a single guinea pig I think, they're usually quartered into 4 parts + the head.

I guess I'll order something to fill up, thanks for the suggestion David :3

Anytime pookie. :*

My suggestion is that you have the cuy there and try one of a million other places around there. If you're not there often, make a trip of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom