• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York City (NYC) Restaurant Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Went to Hide-Chan today and had their Hakata Kuro Ramen.

Both the noodles and the broth were very good (although the latter was a bit too greasy). The pork wasn't anything to write home about but there was a lot of it, so that made my stomach happy. Not nearly as expensive as Ippudo while delivering comparable ramen. It is also a brisk walk from the many designer clothing stores + Bloomingdales that make up Midtown. Too bad it rained today or I would've spent more time walking around.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So, last question (ok, that might be a lie)..

Sunday dinner I would like to do something more relaxed, but still nice.

What do you think a 9PM walk in would look like at WD50? It says casual on the website, does this mean jeans and sneakers would be ok? I'd be totally fine sitting at the bar, and then maybe going to Death and Co after for a few drinks.

Maybe Grammercy Tavern walk in to the lounge instead? They have a nice 4 course "tasting" at the lounge that has a beer and cider pairing.

Can someone make a Restaurant Recommendation thread for The Rest of the World? I would love to hear about people's experiences with fine dining in other countries too.

StoOgE

WD-50 is definitely very casual but the food is just quite avant-garde, I think Jeans and sneakers are fine.

Yeah, I kind of want to eat at a totally batshit crazy place.

I've had little hints of molecular gastronomy at a few places (Uchi here in Austin dabbles in it for desert, L2O, Alinea cookbook stuff I've played with)... it would be pretty nice to just go nuts.. alinea is the dream, but I was just in Chicago and don't see myself returning for a few years at the very earliest.

fancimus

WD-50 is definitely very casual but the food is just quite avant-garde, I think Jeans and sneakers are fine.
Agreed, wd50 is one of those "smart-casual" places, as long as you put some sort of effort in, and don't have a fanny pack/white sneakers tourist look, you'll fit in fine there.

Zyzyxxz

Can someone make a Restaurant Recommendation thread for The Rest of the World? I would love to hear about people's experiences with fine dining in other countries too.

I've thought about it but I don't know if it will be successful.

If we can put some effort into a nice OP and have people work on sections that would be good.

I'm pretty good with Los Angeles and fairly familiar with Hong Kong.

StoOgE

Agreed, wd50 is one of those "smart-casual" places, as long as you put some sort of effort in, and don't have a fanny pack/white sneakers tourist look, you'll fit in fine there.

That's what I was hoping for.. basically dressing like I'm going to a nice casual bar should do the trick. i.e. the same clothes should get me into death and company.

GiJoccin

I've got christmas break coming up, and taking the girlie on a Brooklyn adventure - any absolute must-go-to's in Brooklyn? I was thinking about going to Traif, I've heard a lot of good things about it.

Davidion

Went to Hide-Chan today and had their Hakata Kuro Ramen.

Both the noodles and the broth were very good (although the latter was a bit too greasy). The pork wasn't anything to write home about but there was a lot of it, so that made my stomach happy. Not nearly as expensive as Ippudo while delivering comparable ramen. It is also a brisk walk from the many designer clothing stores + Bloomingdales that make up Midtown. Too bad it rained today or I would've spent more time walking around.

Get into Ramen Totto, if you can. It's certainly contender for one of the best in the city.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Get into Ramen Totto, if you can. It's certainly contender for one of the best in the city.
Agreed. it's a long wait, made worse during the winter, but the broth is godly. the sight of the large tub of stewing broth and chicken bones made me tear.

Davidion

Agreed. it's a long wait, made worse during the winter, but the broth is godly. the sight of the large tub of stewing broth and chicken bones made me tear.

You went Chicken? I did pork, though I have to go back and try the chicken, if I ever get back in.

There's a smoky heaviness/greasiness to their broth that's really nice; Hide-Chan pulls it off too but Totto does it better, imo.

scorcho

went chicken, which was one of the most complex, rich broths i've ever had. the freshly torched pork belly actually felt like a palette cleanser after several spoonfuls of it, heh.

i've been meaning to go back, but that wait is a killer. i tried heading to Takashi over the weekend, which was even worse. this is now the third time i've gone on a weekend and met a 2+ hour wait. it's absurd. too many women on line waiting to get their hands on Takashi's meat...

Zyzyxxz

went chicken, which was one of the most complex, rich broths i've ever had. the freshly torched pork belly actually felt like a palette cleanser after several spoonfuls of it, heh.

i've been meaning to go back, but that wait is a killer. i tried heading to Takashi over the weekend, which was even worse. this is now the third time i've gone on a weekend and met a 2+ hour wait. it's absurd. too many women on line waiting to get their hands on Takashi's meat...

After that recent episode of Anthony Bourdain's The Layover I bet the waits are killer.

Barrett2

I've tried going a few times, but the line has been really long. Need to check it out one of these days.

I've got christmas break coming up, and taking the girlie on a Brooklyn adventure - any absolute must-go-to's in Brooklyn? I was thinking about going to Traif, I've heard a lot of good things about it.

The one time I went to Traif I thought it was fantastic. Lots of diverse and very strong flavors on the menu.

Decent little French place in Kips Bay is La Parisien, went on Friday with friends. For that part of town, I considered it a nice find at a reasonable price.

Davidion

Hmm, never heard of this place, will have to check it out.

As for his meat, the guy is kinda hot, you have to admit.

I've tried going a few times, but the line has been really long. Need to check it out one of these days.

Go for lunch or on Sundays at about 4:30. This is about the only way to get in without staring down an hour and a half wait.

Barrett2

Go for lunch or on Sundays at about 4:30. This is about the only way to get in without staring down an hour and a half wait.

I think I might try that next weekend. I've been craving some Ippudo lately, but should probably check this out instead.

I find living here its so easy to slip into a routine of going to the same delicious handful of places over and over. Gotta keep forcing myself to try new stuff.

Davidion

I think I might try that next weekend. I've been craving some Ippudo lately, but should probably check this out instead.

I find living here its so easy to slip into a routine of going to the same delicious handful of places over and over. Gotta keep forcing myself to try new stuff.

Between Queens, Brooklyn, and Manhattan I've come to terms with the fact that there's just an ever-expanding list of restaurants and bars that I will never be able to visit to completion.

Speaking of which, I just hit this place over the weekend. Shit is serious, and is pretty much the best BBQ I've had in NY.
http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/the-ranger-texas-barbecue-at-legends/

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Belated promised pics from NY trip.

Momofuku Ssäm Bar

Fried Duck dumplings

u2jJDl.jpg

Pork Buns

fDNB5l.jpg

Fette Sau BBQ

Selection

lFB5hl.jpg

Brisket, Pulled Pork, Pork Belly, Duck, Pork Sausage, Pork Ribs, Sauerkraut, Broccoli, Burnt End Baked Beans

TRihJl.jpg

Meatball Shop

afRghl.jpg

GiJoccin

how much was your bill? worth it?

I went to Ssam bar recently - bill came out to 140 for two, we each had 2 drinks and ordered a very healthy amount of food. worth it I think, awesome spot. somewhere in between ko and noodle bar.

equap

Banned
I went to Ssam bar recently - bill came out to 140 for two, we each had 2 drinks and ordered a very healthy amount of food. worth it I think, awesome spot. somewhere in between ko and noodle bar.
maaan that's cheaper than the time i went to Capital Grille. UGH!

scorcho

Momofuku Ssäm Bar is okay. I prefer the lunch menu to their dinner, moreso once you factor in how crowded it gets past 6pm. Their dirty rice with duck is divine.

tilde

Neo Member
Bakery/Desserts:
ChikaLicious: They have a the Dessert Bar and the Dessert Club. Go in for the bar, it's great for freshly made dessert in your face, but warning there is a line usually. The Dessert Club... BEST.CUPCAKES.EVER.

Dessert Truck: Sometimes you need to hunt them down, but their warm vanilla chocolate pudding is so worth it.

La Maison du Macaron: croissants, and macarons of course! They have a big section of flavors to choose from. I like these more than Macaron Cafe (their macarons are too sweet imo)

Haly

I rarely go to the west side of city, but I'll check it out sometime over Christmas.
How dare you insult Max Brenner like that, OP, how dare you.
Overpriced, and 50% of what you pay goes into decor and atmosphere rather than the sweets.

fancimus

Seeing your pic from Meatball shop reminded me about Parm (the Torrisi spinoff) which just opened. It's basically the same lunch menu as Torrisi's (and opened right next door on mulberry), but they've added a few new things, and they have a meatball sandwich that is insanely good.

Seeing your pic from Meatball shop reminded me about Parm (the Torrisi spinoff) which just opened. It's basically the same lunch menu as Torrisi's (and opened right next door on mulberry), but they've added a few new things, and they have a meatball sandwich that is insanely good.

Parm is great. I haven't tried the meatball sub, but their chicken parm and house turkey sandwiches are fantastic. Definitely a buy.

co1Cq.jpg

Zyzyxxz

So I'm planning a NYC trip and I don't know what to do about lodging. I want to stay as cheap as possible, I don't need luxuries just a place to sleep with no bugs and is a safe place to keep my luggage.

I'm planning to avoid the Michelin stars (for money reasons) but I'll eat at places like Momofuku Ssam Bar, M. Wells, Takahashi's if I can get in without waiting.

I might couchsurf it to save a lot of money.

beat

So I'm planning a NYC trip and I don't know what to do about lodging. I want to stay as cheap as possible, I don't need luxuries just a place to sleep with no bugs and is a safe place to keep my luggage.

I'm planning to avoid the Michelin stars (for money reasons) but I'll eat at places like Momofuku Ssam Bar, M. Wells, Takahashi's if I can get in without waiting.

I would guess couchsurfing would be the cheapest option; I've never done it. Hostels would be the next cheapest option. But the one I've used several times has been shut down by the city (yikes!) so I dunno what to recommend.

GiJoccin

why don't you gaf-couch-surf?

i wouldn't mind letting you crash for a night or two on a blowup mattress, assuming it doesn't overlap with another friend (my mattress is frequently taken).

Barrett2

Between Queens, Brooklyn, and Manhattan I've come to terms with the fact that there's just an ever-expanding list of restaurants and bars that I will never be able to visit to completion.

Speaking of which, I just hit this place over the weekend. Shit is serious, and is pretty much the best BBQ I've had in NY.
http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/the-ranger-texas-barbecue-at-legends/

That looks delicious. I'd like to go to Dinosaur BBQ, went a few times in Syracuse and it was delicious, but have never made it there since moving here.

Meatball Shop

afRghl.jpg

Meatball Shop is so good.

Davidion

M. Wells is closed and has been closed for months.

You might want to try Salt & Fat if you're going to be in that area.

StoOgE

Just got back and a few brief thoughts:

Per Se - Amazing food, even more amazing setting. This is where we went post proposal, and they made it really special. Our names on the menu with a congrats, free champagne to celebrate when we arrived. Visit to the kitchen at the end of the meal to meet the chef, got to see Thomas Keller on the video monitor working at French Laundry. Just amazing.

Complaints are limited to the 18 million deserts they brought out. Champagne apples, pinnaple soda and coffee and donuts were the hilights. They could have cut about half of the deserts from the menu.. because I also had an insane chocolate ice cream thing.. a bunch of chocolates, petit fours, more chocolate, coffee and take homes.

Le Bernardin - service wasn't as nice. I should say, our captain wasn't very nice. The rest of the staff was really amazing. The sommillier was an idiot however. My fiance asked for a champagne recomendation that wasn't too dry, and she was directed to the desert wines. Awesome. The food however was really amazing. The deserts not so much, but luckily they kept them to a minimum. 10 dollars for a coffee after paying 500 dollars for a tasting menu was a bit chintzy however.. and the two couples sitting next to us both got into spats. The russian model was mad at her husband/boyfriend for getting too drunk and the rich old woman got mad at her young companion for looking at the russian model. I'm taking yelling in the dining room kind of fights.

PDT - decent drinks.. though, not as good as EMPs drinks or even the drinks we had at Le Bernardin's bar.. and certainly not as good as Violet Hour in Chicago. Getting in was fun for sure, but it loses a bit when it's clear everyone there knows what is going on and the door in the phone booth is open because people are begging to get in without reservations.

Eleven Madison Park - great location, great lobby. Great cocktails. Pedestrian food. I could name 5 places in Austin that I would rather eat at. Maybe I need to go back for a dinner service or a tasting, but at 250 bucks I shouldn't feel like I'm eating a meal I could easily have prepared myself. Not very impressed at all. View of Flatiron means I probably will come back, but probably just for drinks at the bar.

Rosa Mexicano - my fiance's aunt took us here, pretty decent food.. good guacamole.. great view. good raw tuna. Went easy on them since they were buying, so didn't have any drinks.

had some Japanese food near 52nd and Lexington that was pretty good. Just stopped in our first night for a bite, had a 4 course menu.. probably the best soba noodles I've ever had. Really great staff, owner came out and showed us photos of their buckweat farm.

Davidion

Any idea when it might reopen? I'm thinking about going in the spring after winter so no rush for me.

No idea. Word on the streets is that it'll be opening in PS1 and a couple of locations around the city.

Just check in before you leave.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Per Se - Amazing food, even more amazing setting. This is where we went post proposal, and they made it really special. Our names on the menu with a congrats, free champagne to celebrate when we arrived. Visit to the kitchen at the end of the meal to meet the chef, got to see Thomas Keller on the video monitor working at French Laundry. Just amazing.

Complaints are limited to the 18 million deserts they brought out. Champagne apples, pinnaple soda and coffee and donuts were the hilights. They could have cut about half of the deserts from the menu.. because I also had an insane chocolate ice cream thing.. a bunch of chocolates, petit fours, more chocolate, coffee and take homes.

Le Bernardin - service wasn't as nice. I should say, our captain wasn't very nice. The rest of the staff was really amazing. The sommillier was an idiot however. My fiance asked for a champagne recomendation that wasn't too dry, and she was directed to the desert wines. Awesome. The food however was really amazing. The deserts not so much, but luckily they kept them to a minimum. 10 dollars for a coffee after paying 500 dollars for a tasting menu was a bit chintzy however.. and the two couples sitting next to us both got into spats. The russian model was mad at her husband/boyfriend for getting too drunk and the rich old woman got mad at her young companion for looking at the russian model. I'm taking yelling in the dining room kind of fights.

PDT - decent drinks.. though, not as good as EMPs drinks or even the drinks we had at Le Bernardin's bar.. and certainly not as good as Violet Hour in Chicago. Getting in was fun for sure, but it loses a bit when it's clear everyone there knows what is going on and the door in the phone booth is open because people are begging to get in without reservations.

Eleven Madison Park - great location, great lobby. Great cocktails. Pedestrian food. I could name 5 places in Austin that I would rather eat at. Maybe I need to go back for a dinner service or a tasting, but at 250 bucks I shouldn't feel like I'm eating a meal I could easily have prepared myself. Not very impressed at all. View of Flatiron means I probably will come back, but probably just for drinks at the bar.

Rosa Mexicano - my fiance's aunt took us here, pretty decent food.. good guacamole.. great view. good raw tuna. Went easy on them since they were buying, so didn't have any drinks.

had some Japanese food near 52nd and Lexington that was pretty good. Just stopped in our first night for a bite, had a 4 course menu.. probably the best soba noodles I've ever had. Really great staff, owner came out and showed us photos of their buckweat farm.

I've never been to Per Se (and probably never will - my GF won't even step foot in there because she thinks it's a waste of money), but I've heard great things. I hate Bernardin, but that's because it's not really my type of food. Eleven Madison Park is pretty great - GF loves this place. I actually hate Rosa Mexicano, but then again, most Mexican places in this city kinda suck. There's a good mexican place in the LES (I forget the name) and one in the UWS/Harlem area (uh... I forget the name, but somewhere between 100 and 110). That place in UWS had food that was so good, I still think about it, but you wouldn't know it to look at it.

Nowadays, I spend most of my eating out dollars in Brooklyn and Queens. Queens in particular has so many great places. Unfortunately, I'm still looking for a good ramen shop!

Davidion

Nowadays, I spend most of my eating out dollars in Brooklyn and Queens. Queens in particular has so many great places. Unfortunately, I'm still looking for a good ramen shop!

There are no notable Ramen shops in Queens, if that's what you meant. Specifically, all the Japanese enclaves in NYC are based almost entirely in Manhattan. Setagaya and a couple of others have opened outposts in Flushing but not to very good reviews.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
There are no notable Ramen shops in Queens, if that's what you meant. Specifically, all the Japanese enclaves in NYC are based almost entirely in Manhattan. Setagaya and a couple of others have opened outposts in Flushing but not to very good reviews.

Looking mostly in Brooklyn for the ramen. I've found a couple, but the ones in Manhattan are better (as you pointed out). I was spoiled living in the village for a few years... had many great places so close.

fancimus

Sorry to hear you didn't like EMP. Did you eat at the bar/a la carte? I didn't even know they had an a la carte until i saw the bar-only menu. Randomly enough i went for drinks there last Friday after shake shack, and indeed they are great. I can't vouch for their bar food...i've never had it, and im pretty sure dinner is tasting menu only. I haven't tried per se or bernadin yet so can't compare to them, but so far EMP my favorite in this town.

StoOgE

Sorry to hear you didn't like EMP. Did you eat at the bar/a la carte? I didn't even know they had an a la carte until i saw the bar-only menu. Randomly enough i went for drinks there last Friday after shake shack, and indeed they are great. I can't vouch for their bar food...i've never had it, and im pretty sure dinner is tasting menu only. I haven't tried per se or bernadin yet so can't compare to them, but so far EMP my favorite in this town.

I had the 4 course. The tasting was available, but with Per Se reservations that night we decided to take it easy. I believe both the 4 course and the tasting are available for dinner as well.

I didn't dislike EMP. I just don't think it really compares to Per Se or Le Bernardin when it comes to food. The setting is amazing, and the service was very good.

I think the problem is twofold.. you aren't going to get the best menu at lunch, and the head chef and some of the more important people in the kitchen appear to be on a book tour currently. I think I may need to go back at some point.

But again, fantastic cocktails.. and the food was in no way bad. It was very well prepared, but I didn't feel anything was really inventive and the dishes themselves were too safe, no real risks were taken in flavor pairings. It reminds me of a typical "nice" restaraunt you would find in most cities, just with better dish presentation and an amazing setting. Not the haute cuisine I was hoping for. If it were in Austin, it would probably be my 2nd favorite place to eat and on a similar level to 3-4 others that it reminds me of greatly.. just at double the price.

Haly

I can attest to Setagaya Flushing's blehness.

And if you're thinking of eating at Ajisen Ramen you might as well crack upon a pack of Nong Shim and making it yourself.

Zyzyxxz

And if you're thinking of eating at Ajisen Ramen you might as well crack upon a pack of Nong Shim and making it yourself.

Anyone who likes Ajisen Ramen can go to hell. I won't hate on you if you like maruchan ramen but if I ever hear anyone refer to Ajisen as real ramen I have to educate them.

It's a shitty Chinese company which does what Chinese companies do best, try to imitate quality. Oh and if you still aren't convinced see this:

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/stickaforkinit/2011/08/ajisen_ramen_busted.php

In China they claim they make their broth by boiling pork bones for 20 hours. Yeah right, if that was true they must have used the shittiest bones they could find to make the shittiest tonkotsu brother I've ever tasted.

/end rant.

Sorry had to make it known where I stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom