• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York City (NYC) Restaurant Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Coming back to the city in 2.5 weeks..

Got some Masa reservations for the Omakase menu! Really excited.

Ippudos ramen was amazing. Angelos in little italy was great as well. peking duck house in china town was yummy too. Nyc really has it.all.

Himself

This is pretty much my dream meal. Just gotta save up a bit...like, a whole lot a bit.

Wish my GF liked fish.

Anyone ever try Chefs Table in Brooklyn?

Zyzyxxz

So jealous... can't even afford Urawsawa in Beverly Hills (formerly 2nd in command to Masa).

Ippudos ramen was amazing. Angelos in little italy was great as well. peking duck house in china town was yummy too. Nyc really has it.all.

Can't say I've tried Ippudo but being in Los Angeles and we are going through a ramen renaissance I've heard that it really is overrated. I'd like to see how it compares to Tsujita who is the new champ on the block.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
In NYC the new ramen hotness are Totto and Hide-Chan. Been to Hide-chan but not Totto and I definitely feel it is better than Ippudo (and not as pricey, and no lines, except for hipster/yelp-monster fridays).

In NYC the new ramen hotness are Totto and Hide-Chan. Been to Hide-chan but not Totto and I definitely feel it is better than Ippudo (and not as pricey, and no lines, except for hipster/yelp-monster fridays).
The line to totto was 20ppl long last night at 9pm in ridiculous nyc weather.. :(

Haly

Yeah Totto is significantly more popular I think.

God only knows why.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
the line outside Totto will be there regardless of weather.

all is forgiven once you sit at the bar and breathe in that thick chicken stock they make all day. Ippudo is okay, but Totto's noodles have a better snap to them, and the broth is much more complex.

Zyzyxxz

If I was going to NYC to eat now would be a bad time for ramen though. It's all about tsukemen or cold ramen during the summer, I hate sweating while eating.

Haly

Usually the upper scale ramen places are well air conditioned.

They'd have to be, considering how many people queue up for their ramen.

Just keep in mind that Masa is wildly different from Per Se, Le Bernardin etc., as it's hushed, minimalist, and decidedly not coddling. However, their ingredient quality is unrivaled in NYC (as it should be for nearly twice Per Se's entry cost).

GiJoccin

Went to Totto today for lunch - arrived at opening and was the odd couple out waiting for a seat :( only 20 minute wait

I've eaten so much amazing food lately - eleven madison park being the standout, with trips to mission chinese food, talde, locanda verde, maison premiere, diner in the last month or two

Just keep in mind that Masa is wildly different from Per Se, Le Bernardin etc., as it's hushed, minimalist, and decidedly not coddling. However, their ingredient quality is unrivaled in NYC (as it should be for nearly twice Per Se's entry cost).

Also be aware that the experience goes by fast. I think I was in and out in an hour and a half. I know it's traditional for the sushi to proceed quickly, but I probably should have asked to slow down in order to enjoy each piece more.

Did you get your reservation at the bar?

Amazing. Worth the hype. I was lucky enough to go a few times early on before the price hikes and it was BYO (Is it still?). I went once when my friends booked the entire place and brought copious amounts of wine. We spent a long evening drinking and chatting with the chef. One of my favorite dining experiences.

StoOgE

Time for honest answers.

For 1300 dollars I thought it was a rip off. Not that it wasn't amazing (it was), but because I didn't find it to be much better than sushi literally 1/3rd it's price. It was the best sushi I've ever had, but only incrementally better than sushi that was about 400 dollars for 2 people. And it only had one dish that really stuck out to me (the torro with caviar on toast). Where uchi and uchiko in Austin each have had 4 to 5 dishes I can still recall and an omakase price of 180 for 2.

In future trips to the city I'll be sticking with 2-3 much more enjoyable meals for the same price at the cities other top tier restaurants.

nitewulf

I am working very close to it, out on the field. I go to the Market for lunch everyday, the kitchen is very hard to get a reservation for, but I am trying.

We went to BLT Prime last Thursday. Amazing steak. What I loved most was the warm atmosphere, I finished the last final of my MBA and just called up my wife to meetup with me, and walked in on a whim. I was wearing an Arsenal jersey and shorts/sandals, my wife was wearing very casual clothes as well. They didn't even blink, took us upstairs, wonderful atmosphere, high ceiling. Place was filled with Goldman Sachs boys (life is good!). Not the best steak I ever had, but close, huge, porterhouse for two.

And for good sushi, Blue Ribbon in Brooklyn is very good. For about $150 - $200 you can have some top notch seafood.

Zyzyxxz

Time for honest answers.

For 1300 dollars I thought it was a rip off. Not that it wasn't amazing (it was), but because I didn't find it to be much better than sushi literally 1/3rd it's price. It was the best sushi I've ever had, but only incrementally better than sushi that was about 400 dollars for 2 people. And it only had one dish that really stuck out to me (the torro with caviar on toast). Where uchi and uchiko in Austin each have had 4 to 5 dishes I can still recall and an omakase price of 180 for 2.

In future trips to the city I'll be sticking with 2-3 much more enjoyable meals for the same price at the cities other top tier restaurants.

The thing with top tier sushi is that if you are going by quality I would say it's probably going to suffer from a point of diminishing returns.

StoOgE

The thing with top tier sushi is that if you are going by quality I would say it's probably going to suffer from a point of diminishing returns.

That's kind of the gist I got.

I mean, that really awesome mackeral flown in that morning was really good. But is it *that* much better than a really nice fatty tuna sashimi that I could get for a fraction of the price?

Not really.

I'm not mad i went to Massa, I kind of had to go at some point. Just kind of disapointed by the whole experience especially considering the price. It certainly isn't as transformative as say Per Se or even L20 in Chicago was.

Haly

Tried Totto Ramen today, finally, had their Spicy Ramen.

Definitely lives up to the hype. Their chicken broth is very flavorful but still much lighter than a typical pork ramen broth. However I still wouldn't wait an hour for a bowl. Today I lucked out and the line was only 10 minutes.

bob page

What did you think of Quality Meats? I was gonna take my mom there for her last visit, but we ended up at Wolfgang's...which was spectacular.

Quality Meats was incredible and I'd assume much better than Wolfgang's (which is a bit more generic). The filet I got was perfect and the bread was incredibly addictive.

The decor/atmosphere was also really well done & classy.

Zyzyxxz

That's kind of the gist I got.

I mean, that really awesome mackeral flown in that morning was really good. But is it *that* much better than a really nice fatty tuna sashimi that I could get for a fraction of the price?

Not really.

I'm not mad i went to Massa, I kind of had to go at some point. Just kind of disapointed by the whole experience especially considering the price. It certainly isn't as transformative as say Per Se or even L20 in Chicago was.

Late replay I know but some alumni of Masa have opened up a joint called Neta and it's suppose to be pretty damn good but at a fair price. You can do omakase for 95/135 which I may do when I finally get back to NY.

beat

I finally caught the No Reservations ep about Brooklyn. Good stuff; Pok Pok looked great and Brooklyn Fare and Blanca looked seriously amazing.

Zyzyxxz

Anybody been to Blanca? It got a nod from Bon Appetit for 10 best new restaurants in America this year. I'm interested but it's not cheap. If I go to New York I may try to get in on this tasting or just go to Neta for the omakase.

I finally caught the No Reservations ep about Brooklyn. Good stuff; Pok Pok looked great and Brooklyn Fare and Blanca looked seriously amazing.

Ha, my very good friend edited that episode. He got to go to the wrap party with Bourdain and Idris Elba was there, jealous.

Himself

Ate at momfuku Ko for dinner the other night and got the drink pairing with it. My god. it really was amazing. I wish more places did such varied beverage pairing (this included beer, sake, wine, and a cocktail). I'm still dreaming of some of the dishes that were served. Very fun, inventive and delicious. Any other high end NYC restaurants that are this fun? Per Se and ELP look amazing if a bit stuffy, but I'm thinking of going for one of those next.

Ate at momfuku Ko for dinner the other night and got the drink pairing with it. My god. it really was amazing. I wish more places did such varied beverage pairing (this included beer, sake, wine, and a cocktail). I'm still dreaming of some of the dishes that were served. Very fun, inventive and delicious. Any other high end NYC restaurants that are this fun? Per Se and ELP look amazing if a bit stuffy, but I'm thinking of going for one of those next.

That's amazing, I actually came to this thread to ask about momofuku ko since I'll be in NYC next week. Heard about it from the Anthony Bourdain shows. My gf is a vegetarian, it's pretty much all meat apparently? It probably won't be worth going if that's the case :(

Davidion

Quality Meats was incredible and I'd assume much better than Wolfgang's (which is a bit more generic). The filet I got was perfect and the bread was incredibly addictive.

The decor/atmosphere was also really well done & classy.

A little late but:

Not the case. Wolfgang actually has the atmosphere of the classic steakhouse, which makes some sense since near everything food-wise was lifted off of Peter Luger and the rest kinda followed. Wolfgang steaks are actually very respectable and amongst the best I've had in the city.

Quality Meats by contrast is much more modern. Their steak, and food in general, are top-notch, but it is not extraordinary compared to the other top steakhouses in NY.

If you liked the counter dining format, the Chef's Table at Brooklyn Fare, Blanca, and Atera come to mind. Be forewarned, nabbing a reservation at Brooklyn Fare is a giant pain in the ass.

That's amazing, I actually came to this thread to ask about momofuku ko since I'll be in NYC next week. Heard about it from the Anthony Bourdain shows. My gf is a vegetarian, it's pretty much all meat apparently? It probably won't be worth going if that's the case :(
The Momofuku restaurants quite proudly state that they don't accommodate vegetarians. Definitely not a good choice for your GF, but many other high-end restaurants offer plentiful vegetarian options.

A little late but:

Not the case. Wolfgang actually has the atmosphere of the classic steakhouse, which makes some sense since near everything food-wise was lifted off of Peter Luger and the rest kinda followed. Wolfgang steaks are actually very respectable and amongst the best I've had in the city.

Quality Meats by contrast is much more modern. Their steak, and food in general, are top-notch, but it is not extraordinary compared to the other top steakhouses in NY.
Wolfgang's is a very solid option, but I'd have to say that Minetta Tavern is the best in NYC. Even on a good night, I think Peter Luger's porterhouse loses pretty handily to Minetta's côte de bœuf, which sits in a pool of roasted veal jus, accompanied by a compulsory side of roasted bone marrow. Also doesn't hurt that Minetta's non-steak dishes, sides, and desserts completely destroy Luger's and Wolfgang's options.

However, I haven't come across Minetta's infamous $260 dry-aged Wagyu tomahawk special yet. Someday, someday...

Himself

Unfortunately, not a good idea. But NYC has tons of great options for vegetarians. I'm sure she'll be accommodated at most places.

If you liked the counter dining format, the Chef's Table at Brooklyn Fare, Blanca, and Atera come to mind. Be forewarned, nabbing a reservation at Brooklyn Fare is a giant pain in the ass.

I would love to try Chefs Table (I work in the neighborhood and get lunch at BF a couple days a week), but my girlfriend is still developing her taste for seafood and I hear that's the focus there. So maybe some day. I'll look into Blanca and Atera though. Thanks for the recommendations.

Zyzyxxz

If you want a vegetarian meal maybe the both of you will enjoy try Kajitsu, http://www.kevineats.com/2011/10/kajitsu-new-york-ny.html very high end shojin ryori cuisine which is Buddhist vegetarian inspired Japanese food, usually vegan if not very vegetarian friendly.

Also Per Se should be very accommodating for vegetarians.

Davidion

Wolfgang's is a very solid option, but I'd have to say that Minetta Tavern is the best in NYC. Even on a good night, I think Peter Luger's porterhouse loses pretty handily to Minetta's côte de bœuf, which sits in a pool of roasted veal jus, accompanied by a compulsory side of roasted bone marrow. Also doesn't hurt that Minetta's non-steak dishes, sides, and desserts completely destroy Luger's and Wolfgang's options.

However, I haven't come across Minetta's infamous $260 dry-aged Wagyu tomahawk special yet. Someday, someday...

I'd love to try Minetta one of these days.

Also re: the Tomahawk...fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Haly

Alright, not exactly a restaurant request but I'm looking for beef tenderloin that's at a more reasonable price than the $25-$30/lbs you get at places like Whole Foods. Surely, there are places that don't sell 100% grass fed beef or wherever the premium comes from. I'd get it at Costco but I don't need 4 lbs, which is the only size they had last I checked. 2-3 lbs is enough for my purposes.

I was in NYC this weekend, and while I didn't get to any of the restaurants in this thread, it was an appetite-stimulating read. However, it was equally as depressing, as Scorcho was such a prominent poster in it.

Saturday night it was too cold & windy for my wife and daughter, so we just grabbed some slices from the little place next to the hotel. NY pizza really is the best!

Zyzyxxz

Alright, not exactly a restaurant request but I'm looking for beef tenderloin that's at a more reasonable price than the $25-$30/lbs you get at places like Whole Foods. Surely, there are places that don't sell 100% grass fed beef or wherever the premium comes from. I'd get it at Costco but I don't need 4 lbs, which is the only size they had last I checked. 2-3 lbs is enough for my purposes.

Chinese/Korean/ethnic markets but you will have to trim it yourself. Middle Eastern markets if that applies to you as well.

Haly

Haha, talk about late reply.

Eventually I wound up buying a 4lbs from Costco and then just making two wellingtons out of it. Which was convenient since my parents wanted me to make a wellington for two dinner parties they were having.

Zyzyxxz

Haha, talk about late reply.

Eventually I wound up buying a 4lbs from Costco and then just making two wellingtons out of it. Which was convenient since my parents wanted me to make a wellington for two dinner parties they were having.

Oh crap didn't even notice the date! Well for future reference you know where to go now for cheap filet.

Haly

I finally got a chance to swing by Yuji Ramen today and it totally lives up to the hype.

x2NjwMB.jpg

Cold soba tea (top left)
Tsukemono (bottom left) - Pickled radish, cucumber and cauliflower
Salmon and Cheese Mazeman (center) - Cured salmon, cheese, lemon and some veggie toppings over mazeman (which is basically ramen noodles mixed with sauce)
SeriousEats said:
Most interesting is the Salmon Cheese mazemen, made with raw salmon that's been house-cured with lemon zest and Sichuan peppercorn. And wait, what? Cheese on ramen? Yep. That's a mix of Camembert and heavy cream drizzled on top. It's one of those dishes where when you see it on the menu it leaves you scratching your head, but when you taste it you go, ah... that makes sense. It's light, subtle, and remarkably fresh tasting, literally and figuratively.

I really want to try Yuji's omakase menu but tickets are sold out through June ;~;

I hope he gets his own place soon, restaurant betas hurt my soul.

Since they're packing up after August, I suggest making a trip there at least once this summer.

Haly

What are some places to get good Mexican? Obviously they're not going to be plentiful as they are in Cali, but there must be at least one or two *ahem* authentic ones.

I recently stumbled onto www.cafeollin.com in Spanish Harlem. I really enjoyed it.

I don't know where you live but on Staten Island there has been a rash of Mexican delis that make "authentic" tacos with rarer fillings like lengua and barbacoa. They also sell things like deep fried pork skins and Horchata. Totally unassuming places staffed with and catering to the Hispanic population on SI.

Might be true for other boroughs but I can't really say. A new place opened up just a minute from me and that's where I go for all my taco cravings.

bob page

What are some places to get good Mexican? Obviously they're not going to be plentiful as they are in Cali, but there must be at least one or two *ahem* authentic ones.

I recently stumbled onto www.cafeollin.com in Spanish Harlem. I really enjoyed it.

DoVf4r1.jpg

Country Boys makes some pretty awesome, cheap Mexican food. You can usually find them at Smorgasburg every weekend.

Also, here's some tacos:
http://gothamist.com/2013/07/10/the_best_tacos_in_nyc.php

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I really want to try Yuji's omakase menu but tickets are sold out through June ;~;

I hope he gets his own place soon, restaurant betas hurt my soul.

Since they're packing up after August, I suggest making a trip there at least once this summer.
Second the recommendation. Really great stuff.

I took some pics the second time I tried the omakase: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gluetree/sets/72157634208224234/

Their brick and mortar should be opening in the fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom