• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York Cops Beat up Man as he tried to surrender

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this happened. There's a video at the link.

An aspiring hip hop artist was beaten by NYPD cops throwing punches to his head and blows from a baton as he appeared to be meekly surrendering inside a Brooklyn grocery store, a shocking video shows.

Thomas Jennings, who suffered cuts above his eye, raised both hands in what appears to be a gesture of giving up just seconds before the onslaught began, the video shows.

“I didn’t ever know it was coming,” Jennings told the Daily News of the punches that required five stitches to close the wound.

Brooklyn District Attorney Ken Thompson’s office is investigating the cops’ use of force against him on July 7 in Bedford-Stuyvesant. The NYPD Internal Affairs Bureau is also reviewing the tape, a police spokeswoman said Tuesday.

Jennings’ lawyer said there was no justification for the pummeling.

“It’s horrendous what they did to him,” said lawyer Amy Rameau. “He had his hands up. He didn’t pose a threat to anyone in that store. It was an absolute use of excessive force.”

The chain of events that led to the brutal confrontation on the video began shortly before inside New York Fried Chicken on Saratoga Ave., according to court papers.

Jennings, 24, and another unidentified man became embroiled in a dispute with an employee over the price of two slices of pizza.

Jennings told The News that the price was $3 and he was a dollar short, so he stepped outside and borrowed money from someone to cover the tab.

The criminal complaint alleges the unidentified man pulled out a switchblade knife, told the employee that he wasn’t paying and both men fled with the pizza and salt-and-pepper shakers. The employee called 911 and reported the food joint had been robbed.

Cops tracked Jennings several blocks away to the Roslin grocery store on Bainbridge St. where the video camera behind the counter picks up the action.

Police Officer Lenny Lutchman is the first cop inside, brandishing a baton in his right hand and pushing Jennings in the chest with his outstretched left hand. There is no sound in the video.

Jennings raises both hands up, apparently surrendering. That’s when Officer Pearce Martinez runs up to Jennings, immediately launching three haymaker punches to the man’s head.

While Martinez is handcuffing Jennings without any difficulty, Lutchman is striking him with his baton and then drives Jennings head down into the counter with his elbow.

The criminal complaint said that Jennings was flailing his arms and resisted arrest in the store.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...s-beating-suspect-surrender-article-1.2299659

Cops will get a commendation and he'll get paid a few hundred thousand for his injuries and the cycle of scumbag cops will continue.

Do we have..all the facts?

giphy.gif

Africanus

Let me just fast forward through this story.

Paid administrative leave.
Internal investigation.
Media coverage in defense of the police.
Quickly forgotten about.
Months pass.
No indictment.

Somewhere in there are the possible options of retiring with pension/ transferring.

Paskil

Well, I suppose we should probably wait and see what happens. Seems pretty straightforward to me. Term the two officers and charge 'em.

He was obviously no angel.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I mean, the guy is suspected of a knifepoint robbery. I can see why they would be so wary of him and wanting to get him restrained quickly. But why keep hitting him with his hands behind his back?

openrob

I mean, the guy is suspected of a knifepoint robbery. I can see why they would be so wary of him and wanting to get him restrained quickly. But why keep hitting him with his hands behind his back?

I think you are forgetting that they wanted to beat the crap out of him. That much is obvious.

In no other civilised society would running up and punching a suspect be acceptable.

LQX

Why the hell would you rob a pizza shop for $3 worth of Pizza? As petty as may be that is still jail time.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I think you are forgetting that they wanted to beat the crap out of him. That much is obvious.

In no other civilised society would running up and punching a suspect be acceptable.

The first cop looked scared and like he wanted to just get the guy under control, the second cop rushed in and just started throwing haymakers out of nowhere. Then the first cop started taking pot shots when he was restrained.

Pretty bizarre incident all around.

Raiden

Banned
Does this even happen to white folks? I mean seriously like ever? I have never seen one of these video's where the victim is white.

LQX

Why beat someone half to death over it?

He did not get beat half to death but that is besides the other point that this idiot robbed a store for $3 worth of pizza. Yes the cops were wrong, but I cant get past that. It is ridiculous. And in NY that is probably a year a slice.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
The first cop looked scared and like he wanted to just get the guy under control, the second cop rushed in and just started throwing haymakers out of nowhere. Then the first cop started taking pot shots when he was restrained.

Pretty bizarre incident all around.
Jesus Christ.

Because, people will look for reasons and call situations like this "odd" instead of outright condemnation. The police have the benefit of the doubt and punishment is lax at best. So why wouldn't you?

When you can get away with bodily harm because of assumptions and feelings, you'll start there.

Just seems kind of sadistic.

In some cases, I'm sure it is. In others, that may be their anger talking. Some genuinely believe they have to go full tilt to protect themselves.

Officers are just people. They are susceptible to the same biases and issues as any other person. This is one reason that giving them the full benefit of the doubt is erroneous.

Regardless, the lack of actual deterrent for mistakes (which lead to loss of life, health, and liberty on the part of citizens) is a problem. Which is odd, because that's what law enforcement is about, isn't it?

Two Words

Wary doesn't mean you should sucker punch him when both hands are raised in the air....

All of this over $1.

Think about that.

It's crazy because the cost of these legal proceedings, the cost of a potential payout from a civil suit, or the cost of incarceration if he's convicted....

$1.

All of this over $1.

Think about that.

It's crazy because the cost of these legal proceedings, the cost of a potential payout from a civil suit, or the cost of incarceration if he's convicted....

$1.

Cops don't care. They don't pay it. The city does. Sometimes they don't even live in the city that pays for it so a double dose of who gives a shit. The contracts police make and the strength of the union mean the police budget isn't cut.

They need to dismantle qualified immunity. Make cops carry brutality insurance like a doctor carries malpractice insurance.

$3 for 2 slices of pizza? That seems super cheap.

You can get 2 slices and soda a lot of places in NY for $2.75.

Anyway it's so amazing how many of these instances are caught on camera these days. I'm hoping for every incident that gets caught on camera, it stops two potential incidents from happening in the future. Hoping.

It's frightening to think that some people actually believe that jail time should be a consequence of petty theft.

I'd take 30 days in jail over a hefty fine any day, especially if I'm desperate enough to be committing petty theft in the first place. Just my two cents.

I get that these businesses can't let people take advantage of them, but seriously, it's one fucking dollar.

You can rifle through your sofa and find a dollar in change.

Could have just given them the pizza, kicked them out, and told them not to come back again until they paid up.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
In some cases, I'm sure it is. In others, that may be their anger talking. Some genuinely believe they have to go full tilt to protect themselves.

Officers are just people. They are susceptible to the same biases and issues as any other person. This is one reason that giving them the full benefit of the doubt is erroneous.

Regardless, the lack of actual deterrent for mistakes (which lead to loss of life, health, and liberty on the part of citizens) is a problem. Which is odd, because that's what law enforcement is about, isn't it?

Good post and I agree with all of it. Internal affairs need to be cleaned up, especially in NY.

It's frightening to think that some people actually believe that jail time should be a consequence of petty theft.

The part where somebody pulled a knife is where this went from innocuous misdemeanor to somebody is probably going to jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom