• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York Cops Beat up Man as he tried to surrender

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, random question: you ever see a movie where a guy holds someone at gunpoint, tosses handcuffs to them, and tells them to cuff themselves? Why is that not a thing for police IRL?

I mean, if you're afraid of his savage strength and obvious knife-fighting skills (other aside: the article doesn't mention if he had a knife on him when he was arrested?), surely you'd feel safer keeping your distance (even if he could obviously charge you like a linebacker) and thus you wouldn't have to resort to the entirely reasonable escalation demonstrated in this video.

that's what people in movies do. when they 're alone.

in real life when you're just a bunch of thuggish fuckboy blue gangstas in the most notorious gang in 'Merica with a codified no snitching policy, you just beat people up and not worry about the fallout.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I was feeling sorry for the first cop, who seemed to be handling the situation fine.

Then the fucker joins in when Kingpin just loses it.

And what the hell is with people defending the cops here? This wasn't some split second movement of the hands where the officer needs to make a decision. Guy had his hands up for a long time, and made no threatening moves whatsoever. I'm all for letting the facts come out and not jumping to conclusions, but the facts are out, and that Cop needs to be arrested for assault.

Slayven

Ah I was waiting until the racism thing came out. Eventually it always evolves into the actual bigots pulling the racist card on anyone who doesn't agree with them.

I want to live in a society where I don't risk getting stabbed while doing my job if I tell someone they're a dollar short.

So it is Utopia or Cops get to fuck up random people at their lesiure?

I think we can find a middle ground

Ah I was waiting until the racism thing came out. Eventually it always evolves into the actual bigots pulling the racist card on anyone who doesn't agree with them.

I want to live in a society where I don't risk getting stabbed while doing my job if I tell someone they're a dollar short.

Lol if I had a nickel every time a racist piece of shit has said that I'd be Bill Gates

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

This guy deserved to be arrested for that. But he was surrendering. He made no provocative movements. There was zero reason for this thug officer to escalate things.

MVP

Banned
So it is Utopia or Cops get to fuck up random people at their lesiure?

I think we can find a middle ground

I agree, I just think it's amusing how different the tone would be in this thread if it was Justin Bieber that got a black eye after pulling a knife on someone. Universal praise for the cops, but here no one wants to touch it. Hell, you haven't even acknowledged the knife assault even happened.

Slayven

I agree, I just think it's amusing how different the tone would be in this thread if it was Justin Bieber that got a black eye after pulling a knife on someone. Universal praise for the cops, but here no one wants to touch it. Hell, you haven't even acknowledged the knife assault even happened.

cause it nothing to do with the dude getting beaten.

xnipx

Just so i'm clear, MVP knows that the person being beat up and the person who pulled the knife are two different people right?

Moofers

Man it's like there's a new story like this every couple of days now. Is anyone else a little worried we might see nationwide riots pretty soon unless some drastic measures are taken?

The very fact that you use terms like "Race Card" says enough.

He did not get beat half to death but that is besides the other point that this idiot robbed a store for $3 worth of pizza. Yes the cops were wrong, but I cant get past that. It is ridiculous. And in NY that is probably a year a slice.
You can't get past why someone without money would steal $3 worth of pizza, but you're apparently able to get past why cops would beat a surrendering man over $3 of pizza.

Ugh, people need to be allowed to pull knives on other innocent people and not need to catch an ass whooping. Disgusting behavior by the cops, forget that the group pulled a deadly weapon over a fucking dollar, I'm sure it was their very first time and they don't need to show restraint anyways, everyone else does when dealing with them.
The problem with thinking like this is that it treats cops like they're just random people who ended up in a bad situation and acted as random people do, and not like they're supposed to be trained professionals who are paid to handle situations like these.

I think we can all agree resisting arrest is a bullshit charge obviously created to allow cops to arrest and beat people with impunity. It isn't a real crime. It is like the sprinkle of cocaine used to set people up.

darscot

Why do so many people believe these completely thin police stories. He robbed someone at knife point for a dollar, come on. The pizza guy and him probable got in an argument, it happens no big deal. The pizza place is probable friendly with the police and the police wanted to make sure they kept getting their discount and gave the guy a beating.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

cause it nothing to do with the dude getting beaten.

The knife being used totally justifies the first officers very cautious dealing with the guy. Guy might be armed, first cop pretty much instantly defuses the situation by getting the guy to raise his hands. Everything was going well.

The second cop goes in and instantly escalates the situation needlessly. It's pretty much the same thing (with a less tragic result) that happened to Eric Gardner. The cops escalated a non-violent situation.

And the first cop ruins all the good feeling towards him by joining in and repeatedly jabbing the guy in the back as he's being handcuffed.

Thank god they included this in the article:
He has a pending lawsuit in Brooklyn Federal Court against cops from the 81st Precinct who allegedly fractured his eye socket while responding to a dispute between Jennings and his estranged girlfriend.

Jennings has several prior arrests relating to domestic violence and violating an order of protection with the mother of his 4-year-old son.

Under his left eye he has a tattoo of a crown in honor of his son, Levi King Jennings which is actually the boy's name.

He was no angel, guys.

Also, can you believe that's ACTUALLY his boy's name?

Slayven

The knife being used totally justifies the first officers very cautious dealing with the guy. Guy might be armed, first cop pretty much instantly defuses the situation by getting the guy to raise his hands. Everything was going well.

The second cop goes in and instantly escalates the situation needlessly. It's pretty much the same thing (with a less tragic result) that happened to Eric Gardner. The cops escalated a non-violent situation.

And the first cop ruins all the good feeling towards him by joining in and repeatedly jabbing the guy in the back as he's being handcuffed.

Too me that is the most fucked up part. Shit was going textbook, everyone knew the end result was going to be jail and didn't want anymore problems. But Supercop fucks it all up

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Too me that is the most fucked up part. Shit was going textbook, everyone knew the end result was going to be jail and didn't want anymore problems. But Supercop fucks it all up

Yeah. I mean, if the guy made a really quick movement to raise his hands, I MIGHT be able to see the Cop's point of view. How long he had his hands up though, there's just absolutely no defense for that.

Slayven

Thank god they included this in the article:

He was no angel, guys.

Also, can you believe that's ACTUALLY his boy's name?

Oh he had priors? Yeah cops should treat him like subhuman trash, and he better be glad they didn't want to waste a bullet on him

Jenenser

Why do so many people believe these completely thin police stories. He robbed someone at knife point for a dollar, come on. The pizza guy and him probable got in an argument, it happens no big deal. The pizza place is probable friendly with the police and the police wanted to make sure they kept getting their discount and gave the guy a beating.

well, thats a whole nother level of conspiracystiupidity. o_O

guys, you all should calm your tits a little.
facts right now:
-the dude was an accomplice in an armed robbery. he didn't just steal something. (and yes there is a big diffrence if i steal something because i have no money for food or rob someone with a blade)
-the cops handled the situation wrong with a senseless beating to a guy that surrendered and was no threat.

i don't even get why you guys are still discussing this. powertripping cop should be fired. but plz stop playing the victim down like he didn't do anything.

I AM THE ALPHA AND OMEGA
/jk

well, thats a whole nother level of conspiracystiupidity. o_O

guys, you all should calm your tits a little.
facts right now:
-the dude was an accomplice in an armed robbery. he didn't just steal something. (and yes there is a big diffrence if i steal something because i have no money for food or rob someone with a blade)
-the cops handled the situation wrong with a senseless beating to a guy that surrendered and was no threat.

i don't even get why you guys are still discussing this. powertripping cop should be fired. but plz stop playing the victim down like he didn't do anything.

I AM THE ALPHA AND OMEGA
/jk

I guess people are still discussing it because history has shown that "powertripping" cop being fired is nowhere near a sure thing, despite it being evidently clear he should be?

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Anyone saying he deserved a beating after having already surrendered for (allegedly) participating in an armed knife robbery is probably the type that would immediate execute prisoners of war if they were given any authority. Even if he was the other guy that pulled the knife, that doesn't excuse the cops being complete assholes when they should be professionals. Hope they lose their jobs and end up on the street.

Condom

Well even though the cop messed up, I don't feel sorry for this guy who got beat up then. I'd say he deserved it

Yeah and this is why nothing will ever change. Because of reasoning like this. No we should feel sorry because we already have punishments for what he may or may not have done. Extra beatings are bullshit and UNFAIR. No matter what he did in the past.

Ok? Dunno why you're bringing dogs in here. Do you have something against them?
You don't mind someone surrendering being beaten..you feel the person deserved it. That's problematic..strange that you don't see that. Last I remember, you had no problem with a police officer shooting at a dog, missing, and instead, shooting a little girl. You also didn't blame the office there, and seemed to dislike dogs..

We good?

You make some of the worst fucking posts.

I should have just said this..

Reset

You make some of the worst fucking posts.
I'm sorry person that I don't know. Next time I'll make sure to pm you, and see if you agree with me or not before I post!

:)))

You don't mind someone surrendering being beaten..you feel the person deserved it. That's problematic..strange that you don't see that. Last I remember, you had no problem with a police officer shooting at a dog, missing, and instead, shooting a little girl. You also didn't blame the office there, and seemed to dislike dogs..
I never said what the cop did was right though. The cop does deserve a punishment for punching him. In my previous post, I already said the cop messed up and shouldn't have punched him since the brown cop seemed to have it under control without hitting him, but when the bald cop came he escalated the situation. But just because the cops messed up, it doesn't mean I'm going to feel sorry for this guy after reading his previous history and why he the cops were called on him. Cry me river, if you think I'm wrong when I don't feel sympathy for people like him. Maybe if this guy was just minding his own business and did nothing wrong, I would have felt sorry.

Also for that other thread. No. I said that cop also messed up big time since he shot an innocent little girl. I just said the family should have kept their dog locked in a room if it had no problem charging at the strangers, and I could see why he tried to shoot the dog. Also feel free to pm me any other threads where I said something similar about the dogs because the only other ones I can remember is the thread where the dog almost ripped a child's leg off and the celebrity thread where I wasn't being serious since it was amusing that over such a small issue there was a big fuss.

Falcs

Banned
Sigh... I'm reading through the OP, slowly scrolling down as I go, and then I get to the picture...
Of course he's black..

Whenever I travel to the US I consciously think to myself "Don't do anything to attract police attention." But then a little voice in my head says "But you're not black. You don't really need to worry about it."

smh..

BajiBoxer

Banned
Does this even happen to white folks? I mean seriously like ever? I have never seen one of these video's where the victim is white.
A family member of mine was beaten to death by police in Florida in the 90's. Was white and his mom was a millionaire. Doesn't happen nearly as often, but it does occasionally.

krazen

I love because of the fact he's got priors suddenly it's totally cool to treat him like an animal according to some in this post

Imho, I agree with you all. I can't wait until a future where guys with very little training get to be judge, jury and executioner to anyone that they decide is a 'piece of shit'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom