• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda: Breath of the Wild screenshots and closer look at full Hyrule map

Aldric

Let's call it an uneducated guess.

I think that the switch will not have any title as expensive and complex as Zelda BoTW.

Let's remember this post in 2022 :p

Miyamoto said they need to sell two million copies of the game to get their money back. You can criticize Nintendo for a lot of things but they know how to budget their games.

Rodin

I think that the switch will not have any title as expensive and complex as Zelda BoTW.

Mario and Xenoblade 2 say hi. And this is only the first year, so i'd say we can remember this post in 2018.

I'm gonna go check out that island in the bottom right corner of the map. Then maybe I'll try to go clockwise from there?

Man I hope finding/marking completed Shrines isn't complicated given that there's bloody 120 of them.
If you find the tower they'll show up in your map, i think.
Other than lighting, texture quality, resolution, and draw distance, they look nearly identical.
Fixed that for you.

Zelda does focus on physics and a living breathing world, but Xenoblade does seem like it's going to be pretty big.
XCX was huge in its ambition and execution.

oti

Banned
When BOTW releases on the Switch, there'll be only one game I'm interested in, which is this one. I don't buy systems for games that haven't released yet, so it really would be €350 for one game.

Save your money. Play the game on Wii U. You can always replay it on Switch if you get the console down the line with some other games.

Or you could do the same thing I did and sell your Wii U with your games and fund your Switch purchase.

brad-t

Nice touch.

The failed attempt to tame the blue horse is interesting in that it brings up the consideration of there possibly being particularly rare or unique horses/animals in the world with maybe higher stats or just unique visuals that are in turn harder to tame.

I guess an increased stamina meter would've made it easier to tame that horse, too.

Rodin

I want to compare the size to Xenoblade chronicles X. Because no game should ever be that big.

It's much smaller, and you're objectively wrong. X's size is perfect for many of the core concepts of the game (colonization of a new planet, sense of discovery and massive sense of scale even when you're flying on a giant mech). But Zelda's gameplay balance is much different so it makes sense to have a smaller world.

Anyway, there are many worlds in gaming that are much bigger than Mira. I think Mira might be the biggest one that is entirely made by hand and not with procedural generation though.

That thread is old, we have new calculations and apparently the world is 62-82km2. Mira is 400 (including the ocean).

EDIT: also lol at that FFXV calculation hahahaha

Game looks absolutely amazing, especially considering the hardware.

Gotta go with WiiU version though. The Switch version looks slightly better, but not $400 CAD better

13ruce

Banned
So the gameworld is larger then skyrim? Thats pretty insane especialy since horse seems the only travel method and fast travel ofcourse when you unluck those.

Maybe we will get a flying mount later on? Would be cool and the game is open air so....

So the gameworld is larger then skyrim? Thats pretty insane especialy since horse seems the only travel method and fast travel ofcourse when you unluck those.

Maybe we will get a flying mount later on? Would be cool and the game is open air so....

Well it's likely we can ride those sand walruses too, so yeah I'd expect quite a few other mounts. Flying mount wouldn't be all that surprising actually, considering the bird airship.

I am honestly hoping for some sort of Sheikah cycle to go along with the technology theme. IRC Aonuma said he would like to see link ride a motorcycle in games other than Mario Kart.

KLoWn

After playing Xenoblade Chronicles X I'm not surprised seeing some pop-in considering the size of the world. Thankfully it's doesn't seem to be as bad as it was in XCX.

It's much smaller, and you're objectively wrong. X's size is perfect for many of the core concepts of the game (colonization of a new planet, sense of discovery and massive sense of scale even when you're flying on a giant mech). But Zelda's gameplay balance is much different so it makes sense to have a smaller world.

Anyway, there are many worlds in gaming that are much bigger than Mira. I think Mira might be the biggest one that is entirely made by hand and not with procedural generation though.

That thread is old, we have new calculations and apparently the world is 62-82km2. Mira is 400 (including the ocean).

EDIT: also lol at that FFXV calculation hahahaha

opinions and all, but you must be the guy who enjoyed pressing forward on the joystick for 15 minutes to arrive at the new island.

If it wasn't for the fast travel system I would have hated myself.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I think current estimates,. 62-82 sq km, for Zelda's map size is appropriate for the game. It's sufficiently large enough to make the game really feel like a multi-regional world and not simply some playground Frankenstein of one, but not so immensely large that Nintendo will have struggled to include meaningful content at a reasonable density throughout it.

The only question now is; have they actually created compelling content and taken the time to learn the lessons of other open world games and the does and don'ts of such games from other series.

We all know the Zelda team is quite talented and creative, lets hope they were given the freedom to exercise those abilities within the game world.

As beautiful as it looks, I still would have vastly preferred a more realistic look like the initial Wii U tech demo.

2557233-7293465522-23306.gif

When they revealed the final look I was disappointed that they went with the "cartoony" look again. Now I love it so much and wouldn't change it for anything.

After playing Xenoblade Chronicles X I'm not surprised seeing some pop-in considering the size of the world. Thankfully it's doesn't seem to be as bad as it was in XCX.
I died several times because a level 90 monster just suddenly appeared in front of my face while I was running.

Caelus

I wonder if this means lighting weapons work better in the rain, possibly suicidal to use?

They confirmed metallic armor and weapons are more likely to be struck by lightning in the rain, so maybe with electric weapons, it's one of two things:

a) insta-death
b) the better option - the power is amplified if your weapon is struck by lightning. Literally the electric rod in the game is called a "lightning rod", so along with generating its own energy, it might become stronger when struck by lightning, at the cost of let's say durability

Cartho

God I'm excited. It just looks like it's going to be a special, special game. Lots of little touches and details - metal armour making you get struck by lightning is going to be an interesting one - should be a nice risk / reward thing to offset the probably much better protection.

MCN

Banned
It's cool for you if you have that kind of money to spend on one game (that hasn't been reviewed yet by the way). Hope is good

At least we know it will 100% be coming out for the console they're buying for it. Unlike, say, The Last Guardian.

You better hope you find a raft or collect enough things and find plans to construct one, or maybe cook up a TON of stmina boosting shrroms and other food, because you wont be able to swim there without lots of help.

Also once you've acquired the spirit orb from a shrine (which doesnt mean youve cleared out everything in it) and exit the shrine changes from orange/yellow to blue and becomes a fast travel warp point. all automatic

That's excellent news about the shrines!

And if I'm not strong enough to get to the island by the time I reach the shore, then I'll be setting up camp in the bottom corner of the map until I am!

G.ZZZ

I don't mind the LOD from afar but on the ground just mere meters from Link it's distracting. (Tiny rocks appearing)

Pretty much. I can live with stronger blur effects from long distances or whatever, but close pop-ups are ugly as sin to see.

Nice touch.

The failed attempt to tame the blue horse is interesting in that it brings up the consideration of there possibly being particularly rare or unique horses/animals in the world with maybe higher stats or just unique visuals that are in turn harder to tame.

Horses do have stats.

Maybe so about the really rare ones,
there is a quest involving finding some mythical pure white horse.

RPGCrazied

Will double dip for sure. But Wii U first, since I have that. Switch will have to wait cause other than Zelda the launch lineup doesn't excite me that much.

Xenoblade 2 is probably when I will jump in.

Top Bottom