• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda: Breath of the Wild screenshots and closer look at full Hyrule map

Debirudog

As beautiful as it looks, I still would have vastly preferred a more realistic look like the initial Wii U tech demo.

2557233-7293465522-23306.gif

Glad we went to the Ghibli route instead.

Link in that Wii U tech demo looks WAY over-designed to me, likely design for the sake of being there since it was supposed to be "realistic". What's up with his hat? Clasps on the sides? The tip of it looks segmented? WTF?

MoonFrog

Link in that Wii U tech demo looks WAY over-designed to me, likely design for the sake of being there since it was supposed to be "realistic". What's up with his hat? Clasps on the sides? The tip of it looks segmented? WTF?

I don't like his hair tbh, never did.

But yes. I prefer the cartoon look. Heck, I'd like an anime styled Metroid a la Nausica too. Could make enemies and locales look really cool.

Anyone else spot the stadium/Colosseum-like structure immediately northwest of the Great Plateau? If you follow the Great Plateau's northern border, you're faced with a large mountain/cliff on the right of the road. On the north side of this cliff, lies a large stadium in partial ruins. This stadium lies on a kind of mini peninsula surrounded by water on three sides.

4zDeDYh.png

Seems of substantial size, but its a fair bit off from the castle and castle town. If EngineeringHyrule's measurement estimates are correct, this is just under 2KM away from the castle. Be interesting to imagine what purpose this may have served in a pre-calamity Hyrule. I cannot think of any similar structure in a previous game off the top of my head.

EDIT: On second thought, it is similar to Arbiter's Grounds but is clearly nowhere near the desert.

a little bit of me continuing to project my hopes and dreams on to this game, but what if this used to be a prison and you get in there and it's super moody and creepy and subtle piano hints come in to accentuate and there's subterranean chambers with sweet loot that was confiscated and locked away, and a cool boss guards it and.... mmm yea a prison would probably be surrounded by some water. Like maybe that mystery island all the way to the southeast is a prison. I mean anything called a dungeon could be interpreted to be a prison, but thats confusing zelda lore. What we refer too as dungeons and pine for in this franchise are better called temples. Something tells me this game world is designed in a way that at least one area in the former hyrule kingdom wouldve been the equivalent of a prison

FUCK I NEED THIS GAME IN MY VEINS

NOW!

Aldric

l'd like to see a Twilight Princess style Zelda again in the future but with the limits of the Wii U hardware l think they made the right decision with BotW's artstyle. A more "realistic" style would probably have looked genuinely awful for a game of that scale. I mean uglier NPCs than Xenoblade X level of awfulness.

lf they do make a Majora-like sequel to BotW (smaller scale game using the same assets with a unique twist) l think a change of artstyle could be interesting.

balgajo

As beautiful as it looks, I still would have vastly preferred a more realistic look like the initial Wii U tech demo.

I'm with you in this but I also love Breath of the Wild style. And as beautiful as tech demo looks I'm sure they couldn't realize an open world Zelda with this style on Wii U.

Nintendo could one day repeat that 2004 trailer with today's graphics level.

Bitanator

Rösti;228812896 said:
Here's the same image, from Nintendo of America's press site. 1920 x 1080, PNG format:

nintendoswitch_tlozbr1wsxl.png

Damn thanks for that, I had a crappy version of this place as my wallpaper for like 7 months now, switching it up

virtualS

Can't wait for the WiiU version. I'm sure 12 months of polish since it was last shown has helped the framerate.

I'd also imagine that's it's using many of the machine's fixed function features which may be why lighting and effects looked nicer and why the Switch version is only 900p docked... might be hard emulating it all on nvidia's tech.

Will eventually double dip when the Switch Pro SCD dock is released containing a 1080 and additional 4GB of memory.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

Also he "accidentally" kills Navi when drawing the sword.

Can't wait for the WiiU version. I'm sure 12 months of polish since it was last shown has helped the framerate.

I'd also imagine that's it's using many of the machine's fixed function features which may be why lighting and effects looked nicer and why the Switch version is only 900p docked... might be hard emulating it all on nvidia's tech.

Will eventually double dip when the Switch Pro SCD dock is released containing a 1080 and additional 4GB of memory.

Every single effect from the Wii U E3 build is in the Switch version. The main point of contention is the opening shrine of the game, but the entire color scheme has been changed, which is very likely true for the Wii U version as well now.

HeelPower

This game is already pushing the switch to its utmost capabilities.

Its great that its happening ,but a little disappointing to know that the Switch likely won't be able to go farther.

At any rate,this will look absolutely insane on handheld mode.

Its great that its happening ,but a little disappointing to know that the Switch likely won't be able to go farther.

That's like saying twilight princess was the most the Wii could ever bring to the table.

oti

Banned

And you know that how exactly?

watershed

Banned

What do you base this giant assumption on? Seems pretty premature.

Xdrive05

You couldn't possibly know that, and all the likely credible information we have suggests you're wrong. Even the most conservative estimates derived from that information put it in range of being more capable than what this Wii-U port at launch is exhibiting.

If this game was built fro mthe ground up on Switch it would look better than it does right now. At the end of the day, its just a port, and there is only so much you can do with that. ESPECIALLY if you are trying to keep parity between the 2 as best as possible.

It was built with Wii U in mind though.

Cerium

If any game in the first year is going to push the Switch to its limits, it's going to be Mario Odyssey.

EAD Tokyo are wizards. Their games are rarely graphically surpassed on Nintendo systems.

Regginator

Fuck you, OP. I already made the decision to get the Wii U version (not spending €350 on one game), but the Switch versions seems to have a significantly better draw distance/LOD.

:(

oti

Banned
Fuck you, OP. I already made the decision to get the Wii U version (not spending €350 on one game), but the Switch versions seems to have a significantly better draw distance/LOD.

You shouldn't notice it too much while playing the game. It will be totally fine on Wii U too.

I remember in the early Wii U days people were talking up its technical chops, and used that Zelda demo as a testament to that saying "final Zelda games always look better than the tech demo's". I hope they don't fall into the same trap for future hardware, because the Wii U never came close to matching that level of detail and fidelity.

That said, I prefer the art direction of BOTW.

Edit: also, have we established if these WiiU shots are from the final build or not?

Branduil

I can't think of any cross-gen game ever which pushed the more powerful system to its limits. Even early exclusives don't do that.

Caelus

The framerate was pretty awful in that video.

At this point, I buy that it was an issue with their video encoding - which is pretty fucking stupid for them to do at such a big showing, but ya know. Nintendo.

We've had hours and hours of E3 footage on large plains and lush forests where the framerate hovers between 25-30 fps at 720p - but not unplayable.

Wii U version looks fucking botched rofl. I wouldn't be surprised though.

You gotta' remember, we've seen very, very little Wii U footage since E3. It's entirely possible the game has been changed / improved in a lot of ways since then.

My guess is outside of resolution and minor framerate differences, the final builds of both are going to look the same.

arlucool

The framerate was pretty awful in that video.

At this point, I buy that it was an issue with their video encoding - which is pretty fucking stupid for them to do at such a big showing, but ya know. Nintendo.

We've had hours and hours of E3 footage on large plains and lush forests where the framerate hovers between 25-30 fps at 720p - but not unplayable.

Also, according to IGN:

When I said earlier that the gameplay and game experience is the same, I meant the framerate is the same as well. —Aonuma

So, if the framerate of the Switch and Wii U version are the same, then it should run like it did on the Switch presentation when playing on the Wii U.

MADGAME

I get sad every time I see or think about what could've been with this footage. I do like BotW's style though, but hope Nintendo creates a full game around this some day.

Plum

Also, according to IGN:

So, if the framerate of the Switch and Wii U version are the same, then it should run like it did on the Switch presentation when playing on the Wii U.

The "framerate being the same" doesn't literally mean the same drops will happen in the same areas, it just means "BotW on both Wii U and Switch will target 30fps instead of the latter targeting 60."

CrazyHorse

Buy it on Wii U then save up for Switch when you want to and buy it again 2nd hand.

Brofield

Man, you know what'd be cool? I hope an even higher resolution map comes out, because I'd love to laser cut a nautical wood map, similar to the one below. I think it could look really beautiful with accurate contours, especially if it's large enough to make out the details. Just scale it from the 9 x 6.8 km size.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Anyone else spot the stadium/Colosseum-like structure immediately northwest of the Great Plateau? If you follow the Great Plateau's northern border, you're faced with a large mountain/cliff on the right of the road. On the north side of this cliff, lies a large stadium in partial ruins. This stadium lies on a kind of mini peninsula surrounded by water on three sides.

It is briefly visible in the 1/13 Treehouse footage, when Nate jumps off of the Great Plateau Tower.

BBToLXP.png

I've marked Nate's flight path and circled this stadium in red.

UxyUubk.png

We get a better shot of this in one of Polygon's videos. They're a little bit further up north at a Bokoblin outpost (this is marked with a light blue dot on the above map) during the day time. We catch a glimpse of the bridge that splits the body of water and provides access to the stadium's front entrance from Hyrule Field.

OJVbJRS.png

4zDeDYh.png

Seems of substantial size, but its a fair bit off from the castle and castle town. If EngineeringHyrule's measurement estimates are correct, this is just under 2KM away from the castle. Be interesting to imagine what purpose this may have served in a pre-calamity Hyrule. I cannot think of any similar structure in a previous game off the top of my head.

EDIT: On second thought, it is similar to Arbiter's Grounds but is clearly nowhere near the desert.

This is it.

This is the first thing I do after jumping off the plateau.

I'm gonna go there!

arlucool

The "framerate being the same" doesn't literally mean the same drops will happen in the same areas, it just means "BotW on both Wii U and Switch will target 30fps instead of the latter targeting 60."

No. It means both versions aim for 30fps.

Ah..! I see, then. You have to read between lines to know what he really meant to say, hehe.

I wonder where that area Bill and the other guy played is though.

On GameXplain, they theorize that it takes place on the south-east area, past the twin-peak mountains.

Which direction will you guys head to when going off the plateau? I think I will head south, going to the lake first. Maybe I can encounter Zora clan there.

Top Bottom