• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda: Breath of the Wild screenshots and closer look at full Hyrule map

Rodin

I was wondering the same... my best guess is that it's actually 844p at the version being demoed and they were either poorly rounding to 900 or they have it up to 900 in the final version but not the one at the presentation.

No the actual resolution is 900p and the screens on amazon aren't reflecting it because they're compressed and cropped.

32240452086_3a926d93df_h.jpg
This is a direct feed screen (still jpg, but better than those).

game looks really rough.

comes with the territory i suppose, however the artstyle is compelling.

The art style is glorious but the technical part is terrible, looks like an early PS3 game.

I can never tell if these posts are serious. Also loving the comparison to linear games (one of which even has a fixed camera) and the immediate dismiss of the physics engine and all the modern technical features implemented in Zelda that still put it above. The early PS3 part is just poor shitposting.

Mario Odyssey looks almost bafflingly good. I think that one will take the crown.
I think BotW would have looked much better if it was built from the ground up for a Switch, but at the end of the day it's a port. Mario in the next 9 months will look stellar comparatively, but even then it's not open world like Zelda.

killatopak

Lighting and textures seem to be better on the switch.

If everything's the same except for res on undocked mode then I'm hyped.

Coffinhal

Tried to zoom it to make these screenhots about 6", that's impressive !

Now I'm going on media blackout on this game until the release, I've already seen too much by going to the spoilerish main thread.

lol@people shitposting called the game "early-PS3", these simpletons must not know anything about game technology (lighting improvements, modelds, physics engine, seamless open world etc etc etc)

Sakura

Wii U version doesn't look so bad. Maybe I'll just get that instead of waiting to buy a Switch.
Xenoblade X looked great and I'm sure this will look as good/better.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
How large is the open world really? I remember people saying it was going to be bigger than any game before it.

Just wondering, have there been expansions to any open World Series of games where the map got smaller than the previously bigger than ever released game in the series (not counting console to previous to switch console portable hardware as it is a unique hybrid and is still marketed as a home console first)?

E3 build vs Switch retail (or "near" retail), just like the screenshots in this thread. Those Wii U pics have been on the internet for seven months. It's entirely possible the lighting has been changed for both versions of the game.

Are you sure these are the same pictures that have been around for 7 months? These are straight from the Amazon page for both titles as far as I can tell.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
No the actual resolution is 900p and the screens on amazon aren't reflecting it because they're compressed and cropped.

This is a direct feed screen (still jpg, but better than those).
Here's the same image, from Nintendo of America's press site. 1920 x 1080, PNG format:

nintendoswitch_tlozbr1wsxl.png

jariw

Direct comparison between Nintendo Switch and Wii U version (Hilariously they're almost all at a different time of the day.)

Aonuma mentioned that on the recent Treehouse stream. It's virtually impossible to recreate the same screenshot twice, because of the TOD and weather changes.

orioto

Good Art™
So the first feed screens are from the docked version hmm.. We'll never have direct feed screens of the portable version for switch games right ?

Luigiv

So the first feed screens are from the docked version hmm.. We'll never have direct feed screens of the portable version for switch games right ?

Unless the devs use their devkits to simulate portable mode for some reason, probably not.

Rösti;228812896 said:
Here's the same image, from Nintendo of America's press site. 1920 x 1080, PNG format:

nintendoswitch_tlozbr1wsxl.png

Pretty safe to say that both are bullshots then. Looks like downsampled form a resolution higher than 1080p rather than upsampled from 900p.

As for Switch vs. Wii U, I guess we have to wait for Digital Foundry. This doesn't seem comparable/reliable enough.

Rodin

Pretty safe to say that both are bullshots then. Looks like downsampled form a resolution higher than 1080p rather than upsampled from 900p.

As for Switch vs. Wii U, I guess we have to wait for Digital Foundry. This doesn't seem comparable/reliable enough.
I doubt it, the 900p version was with other direct feed pics and they clearly showed some jaggies.

I wonder why there are "foggy" locations on the map. Do we think there might be story/spoiler related structures that would be visible on the map without the fog/clouds covering certain areas? Mostly on the east side of the map

ckaneo

I wonder why there are "foggy" locations on the map. Do we think there might be story/spoiler related structures that would be visible on the map without the fog/clouds covering certain areas? Mostly on the east side of the map
Map is washed out and old. Not an indication of the game map.

Some of it's like they don't even want to hint at the ocean being there, even though it was in the last trailer.

arlucool

Do we know if Link can dive underwater?

Weirdly, nobody has asked about this (and it hasn't been shown), but underwater diving was present in TP and SS, and basically every 3D Zelda except for WW. Since you can equip gear and armour, or craft potions, I would assume there's a way.

Top Bottom