• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda Breath of the Wild trailer

Because, as I said, the games don't truly feel connected (at all.) The timeline is a flimsy, not even half-baked attempt to create a connecting narrative to games that don't need one, and doesn't add anything to them at all, beyond giving fanboys some fodder for online discussions and arguments.

They clearly disregard it at will and don't truly care about it when creating a new game beyond saying "oh yeah, it comes after [this game] I guess"

But it doesn't actually add anything of substance to the games themselves at all.

For some reason, I always took each of the installments as their own personal retellings and embellishments of a familiar tale. But I do feel that beginning with Wind Waker, they were trying to add more to the mythos, so to speak. I'm not personally invested in BotW adhering to a timeline and look forward to seeing what themes and assets they use from earlier games.

m051293

That's a strange ruin in this clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdFANohrP28&feature=youtu.be&t=23s
Is that a known building in the Zelda games?
Looks like it had some kind of importance in the past.
Does anyone have an idea?

Ruins of a stadium or the bottom floors of a large tower. While it looks massive, its remarkably tiny on the actual map.

Anyone else spot the stadium/Colosseum-like structure immediately northwest of the Great Plateau? If you follow the Great Plateau's northern border, you're faced with a large mountain/cliff on the right of the road. On the north side of this cliff, lies a large stadium in partial ruins. This stadium lies on a kind of mini peninsula surrounded by water on three sides.

It is briefly visible in the 1/13 Treehouse footage, when Nate jumps off of the Great Plateau Tower.

BBToLXP.png

I've marked Nate's flight path and circled this stadium in red.

UxyUubk.png

We get a better shot of this in one of Polygon's videos. They're a little bit further up north at a Bokoblin outpost (this is marked with a light blue dot on the above map) during the day time. We catch a glimpse of the bridge that splits the body of water and provides access to the stadium's front entrance from Hyrule Field.

OJVbJRS.png

4zDeDYh.png

Seems of substantial size, but its a fair bit off from the castle and castle town. If EngineeringHyrule's measurement estimates are correct, this is just under 2KM away from the castle. Be interesting to imagine what purpose this may have served in a pre-calamity Hyrule. I cannot think of any similar structure in a previous game off the top of my head.

EDIT: On second thought, it is similar to Arbiter's Grounds but is clearly nowhere near the desert.

How fucked am I if I haven't preordered a Switch yet?

Fucked in the head!

I am watching again all kind of trailers and videos for this game and, shit, aside from some technical graphical stuff that I wish would've been a bit better... the rest is just amazing. The gameplay, the animation, the sounds, the music, the colors... I really can't wait anymore!

Mothman91

Not that fucked by the looks of it. Allocations keep getting increase/stock released and in Europe it's not too hard to find somewhere with them available.

Hmmm, I usually work until midnight so I gotta find a store on the way home that I can stop by.

Does Walmart do pre orders? Prob my best bet to get one.

m051293

Food/cooking mechanic breakdown, courtesy of /u/bushidopirate from /r/truezelda.

This topic isn't a list of recipes for specific foods but rather a list of the rules and nuances of cooking that I have discovered through watching the cooking gameplay videos. All information is derived directly from gameplay footage and contains none of my own personal conjecture. Why not make a list of cooked dishes and how to make them? Frankly, such lists already exist, and an almost infinite number of food combinations exist to create food dishes with the same name but different effects and healing properties. Accordingly, the name of a food conveys very little information. I haven't seen others make some of these observations, so I hope this topic will prove useful to those who wish to learn new information about cooking. I'll list the most obvious information first, but be warned that cooking and potion making seems to be an extremely nuanced science in this game, so this post will be extremely long.

DISCLAIMER: This informational post is based on data gleaned from footage ranging from mid 2016 to January 2017. Accordingly, some of the information may be from an earlier build of the game which is no longer relevant.

---

I. There are multiple categories of items used in cooking

I've observed at least 5 different categories, but there are doubtlessly more. I'll list them all in further detail, including their rules of interaction.

A. Generic Raw Food

These food items restore health while providing no secondary effects. Steaks and apples are examples of generic food. A single generic food item can be placed on top of a campfire to roast it, increasing its healing effects by at least 50% (in the case of the humble Hylian Shroom, the base healing is actually increased by 200%). Generic food items (from one to five) can also be combined in a cooking pot in order to create a dish which heals for 2 times the sum of the raw healing values of the ingredients. The formula for determining the healing value of a food dish is as follows:

• (A + B + C + D + E) x 2 = Y

where A through E are the raw healing values of each of the five cooking ingredients and Y is the healing value of the resulting cooked food. For example, a dish made with a raw steak (1 heart value) and a Hylian Shroom (0.5 heart value) can be combined to create a dish with a total healing value of 3 hearts ([1 + 0.5] x 2 = 3). The name of the created dish is irrelevant; all dishes (with one logical exception, to be discussed in part II) follow this formula to determine the amount of health healed by the dish. A different formula is used to calculate secondary effects, but we'll address this later.

B. Monster Parts

Items in this category are not edible by themselves and have no effect unless combined with an item that possesses a secondary effect. The resulting item is always named "Elixir," but depending on the secondary item used, it will have various prefixes (for example, Sneaky Elixir, Hasty Elixir, etc). These items can (presumably) only be obtained by defeating certain enemies. The effect of using multiple monster parts (of the same name or of different names) in a single elixir is currently unknown. It is also currently unknown if monster parts with different names create elixirs with varying strengths.

C. Raw Food with Secondary Effects

This category consists of items which have the following properties: These items possess a special property aside from simple health restoration, and these items can be combined with generic food in order to produce a cooked dish with secondary effects. This category is where things start to get complicated, and these complications will be addressed a bit later in section IV. Some items in this category can be eaten raw and provide a healing effect (Spicy Pepper, Courser bee honey), whereas others provide no intrinsic healing effect but can still be used in cooking (Blue Nightshade).

D. Elixir Ingredients

Items in this category can be combined with monster parts to create elixirs, and they cannot be consumed by themselves (and thus they have no raw healing value). Furthermore, unlike food with secondary effects, Elixir ingredients cannot be used to cook anything besides elixirs and "Dubious Food". All insects are members of this category, but that does not imply that the only members of this category are insects. Combining a single item in this category with only items in the Generic Food category will create "Dubious Food" which possesses a healing value of the sum of the healing values of all of the ingredients. In some cases these items can be combined successfully with generic food to make elixirs with healing properties, and the rules determining these interactions will be discussed later in part III

E. Inedible ingredients

These items have no primary or secondary effects, and their item descriptions make no reference to cooking (examples include gems/minerals like Topaz and Amber). If combined with other food items, the result will be "Failed Experiment", which restores 0.25 hearts regardless of the healing values of the food used. It is unknown how these interact with monster parts.

---

II. The exception to the heart restoration cooking formula

As stated previously, any cooked dish will heal for 2 times the sum of the raw healing values of the ingredients. The sole exception is when a dish is cooked which includes an ingredient that possesses the secondary effect of increasing Link's maximum hearts (a Hearty Truffle, for example). The resulting cooked dish will ALWAYS fully heal Link regardless of the raw healing values of the component items. Furthermore, Link will gain a varying number of maximum hearts based on the number of food items used which possess the secondary effect of increasing Link's maximum hearts. For example, 1 steak + 4 Hearty Truffles will fully heal link and increase his max hearts by 4, whereas 1 steak + 1 hearty truffle will fully heal Link and increase his max hearts by 1.​

---

III. Examining cooking priority

If multiple ingredients from different item categories are mixed, how does one determine the resulting item? Luckily, the hierarchy in this case seems to be relatively simple (except for #3... why are there always exceptions?) The hierarchy is as follows:

• Elixir
  • Dubious food
  • Food with secondary effect
  • Generic cooked food
The first priority cooking item may in fact be Failed Experiment, but I don't have direct evidence to support this. We can see this hierarchy in action through an example. Normally, we know that combining a monster part with a generic food item will create dubious food. But, if we combine a monster part, an elixir ingredient, and THEN a generic food item(s), we will create en elixir instead of dubious food. Furthermore, this elixir will also heal Link based on the cooking formula that we reviewed above! As an example which is verified in Nintendo footage, imagine cooking with a Sizzlewing Butterfly, Bird Meat, Hylian Shroom, and Bokoblin Fang. Sizzlewing Butterfly is an Elixir Ingredient which possesses the secondary property of increasing cold resistance, and Bokoblin Fang is a monster part. Right away, we know that a cold-resistance Elixir will be created, since Monster Part + Elixir Ingredients make an Elixir, and Elixirs have top priority in the cooking hierarchy. Bird Meat and Hylian Shroom are both Generic Food, possessing raw healing values of 1 and 0.5, respectively. Using the cooking formula ([1 + 0.5] x 2 = 3), we determine that the elixir also restores 3 hearts.​

---

IV. Secondary effects have their own rules

Alright, so right when you think that you're understanding a few things about cooking, secondary effects and their strange rules come along and shit all over your bed. Let's review some of the rules unique to secondary effects.

A. A cooked item (including elixirs) can only possess one secondary effect

In all the footage I have reviewed, I have never seen a dish that, for example, both increases maximum hearts and restores stamina. This logically means that there is some sort of priority to determine which secondary effect a food or Elixir will have when it's cooked when using multiple food items with secondary effects. The only example I could find in existing footage was a Nintendo rep cooking a meal with Blue Nightshade and Stamella Shroom. Oddly enough, even though both of these ingredients possess secondary effects, the resulting dish was a generic meal that had none! It is possible that, since both ingredients had different secondary effects, they cancelled each other out. It's impossible to tell from a single example, so secondary effect priority will have to be examined further upon release.

B. Secondary effects can vary in magnitude

Some effects (like stealth) use descriptors such as low/medium/high, whereas others use symbols. For example, cold resistance Elixirs prepared with Sizzlewing Butterfly have a single snowflake symbol which indicates its cold-resisting properties, whereas dishes prepared with Spicy Pepper have two snowflake symbols. Existing footage with spicy peppers shows that using more peppers increases the duration, but not the magnitude, of the cold-resistance effect. The magnitude of a secondary property is likely determined by the ingredient itself rather than the quantity of the ingredient used.

C. Durations of secondary effects appear wildly inconsistent

There is obviously some formula to determine the duration of a secondary effect, but its particulars are elusive. For example, a spicy elixir made from a Bokoblin fang and a Sizzlewing Butterfly produces "Spicy Elixir" with a cold-resistance duration of 190 seconds. By contrast, an Elixir created with a Bokoblin fang, a Sizzlewing Butterfly, a Bird Meat, and a Hylian Shroom creates a "Spicy Elixir" with a cold-resistance duration of 590 seconds, despite the fact that Bird meat and Hylian Shrooms are only generic food items with no secondary effects whatsoever. Clearly, the quantity of ingredients used in the recipe affect the resulting duration of the effect even if the ingredients are not related to the secondary effect. If we look at this another way, we see that the Monster Part is the catalyst of the cooking reaction, the Elixir Ingredient is the active ingredient, and food items serve to somehow strengthen or the resulting effect. Is the duration of the effect proportional to the raw healing value of the items used? Investigating secondary effect duration raises more questions at this point than it answers, so I'll have to examine it further upon release.

D. Cooked items with the same prefix may possess varying effects

When cooking with ingredients that have secondary properties, the resulting Elixir or food will have a prefix denoting its properties. Strangely enough, items with the same prefix are not necessarily created equal. If we refer to the previous example in the above paragraph, Link created two Spicy Elixirs with varying durations of cold resistance. Furthermore, if Link creates an item with the Hearty prefix, the amount of temporary hearts granted to link will vary based on which ingredient Link uses that possesses the property of increasing his maximum heart gauge. As an example, both Hearty Truffles and Hearty Radishes are food items with the secondary property of increasing maximum hearts and both yield foods with the "Hearty" prefix when used in cooking, but the magnitude of the effect will be greater when using Hearty Radishes.​

---

You've reached the end, congratulations! I plan to continue this line of questioning after the game's release, but doubtlessly this information will be expanded upon further in the official strategy guide. For now, speculating is part of the fun.

how far are they taking the food thing. Like can you kill wild horses and grab some meat, or are horses off limits? when they include something like "bird meat" it sounds like you can just go around killing anything lol

m051293

how far are they taking the food thing. Like can you kill wild horses and grab some meat, or are horses off limits? when they include something like "bird meat" it sounds like you can just go around killing anything lol

GameInformer guys said the horses were off limits (they tried...).

ortauq

Neo Member
Ruins of a stadium or the bottom floors of a large tower. While it looks massive, its remarkably tiny on the actual map.

The only building that came to my mind is the palace of winds from 4SA:
latest

But the answer might be inside this palace/tower-thing.
Maybe it's from an old 2D-Zelda-Game and that's the reason why noone was able to remember this building yet.

spekkeh

Banned
Fuck me I love all these extra additions to the lore with ancient ruins scattering the map. Can't wait to go all Indiana Jones on them.

Three more weeks ugh.

....why the fuck do these trailers still have that annoying audio hit?

Was that the only file that Nintendo had and they're too lazy to re-record/fix it? This is seriously pissing me OFF.

Seriously. This really, really bothers me. It totally squanders all the momentum the music, and more importantly the trailer as a whole has built up to that moment. I say this as a longtime musician, someone who is going to school for audio engineering and music production and who produces music 24/7. It's just wrong. I don't want to hear about artistic intent either. Not working for me. If you tried to pull off a weird gap like that in a class I had last semester you'd have been failed instantly. Furthermore, if you're going to have a gap like that then you should time it correctly for the time signature of the piece, maybe put a slick drum fill or reverse sound effect to tie it together and make it seem like it was actually intentional and not like you just accidentally cut the clip into two pieces and forgot to move it back.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Seriously. This really, really bothers me. It totally squanders all the momentum the music, and more importantly the trailer as a whole has built up to that moment. I say this as a longtime musician, someone who is going to school for audio engineering and music production and who produces music 24/7. It's just wrong. I don't want to hear about artistic intent either. Not working for me. If you tried to pull off a weird gap like that in a class I had last semester you'd have been failed instantly. Furthermore, if you're going to have a gap like that then you should time it correctly for the time signature of the piece, maybe put a slick drum fill or reverse sound effect to tie it together and make it seem like it was actually intentional and not like you just accidentally cut the clip into two pieces and forgot to move it back.
The point of the trailer isn't to have pretty music play while pretty images flash on the screen, it's to show off the game. The cut is jarring and strange, making the viewer believe that there is something wrong with the world of Hyrule. It's only a "wrong" cut if the composer's goal was just to create some non-experimental music that flows smoothly.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
It's intended and not something that they will fix. I think it sounds good, I guess not everyone thinks that.

It's an intentional hit for scene cut off.

No, it's not. Stop defending this. Seriously, I've seen thousands of trailers of all kinds, and am a video editor myself, and I am not exaggerating when I say that I have literally never, ever seen a so-called "intentional", and "creative" cut like this one.

I mean, yes in the very first trailer that had this music at E3 last year, it appears like it was initially intended to work as a transition, but something happened and it got borked into what it is today.

And at the very least, you can make the excuse that the original trailer also had a brief bit of black to signify the transition, but the subsequent trailers don't even have that anymore, which makes them even more bizarre!

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
No, it's not. Stop defending this. Seriously, I've seen thousands of trailers of all kinds, and am a video editor myself, and I am not exaggerating when I say that I have literally never, ever seen a so-called "intentional", and "creative" cut like this one.

I mean, yes in the very first trailer that had this music at E3 last year, it appears like it was initially intended to work as a transition, but something happened and it got borked into what it is today.

And at the very least, you can make the excuse that the original trailer also had a brief bit of black to signify the transition, but the subsequent trailers don't even have that anymore, which makes them even more bizarre!
So you think Nintendo is so incompetent that they accidentally left in an incomplete cut and pretended that it was intentional instead of just releasing the proper version of the trailer later?

The E3 cut is 100% intentional, and they've just reused the E3 audio for the gameplay snippets that they've released since. There is no grand conspiracy to hide poor editing skills.

Charamiwa

Banned

What subsequent trailers? There were two others and they used different music. Unless you're talking about the footage used in the official website, but it's pretty clear that that piece of music was never intended for it and only used together because that's what they had available.

So yeah, if we're only arguing about the music that plays on the website... who cares? You'd have a point if they had reused the weird cut for the Life in the Ruins trailer for instance.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So you think Nintendo is so incompetent that they accidentally left in an incomplete cut and pretended that it was intentional instead of just releasing the proper version of the trailer later?

The E3 cut is 100% intentional, and they've just reused the E3 audio for the gameplay snippets that they've released since. There is no grand conspiracy to hide poor editing skills.

Who's saying that Nintendo's trying to hide it? That's the problem! They don't seem to care at all!

What subsequent trailers? There were two others and they used different music. Unless you're talking about the footage used in the official website, but it's pretty clear that that piece of music was never intended for it and only used together because that's what they had available.

So yeah, if we're only arguing about the music that plays on the website... who cares? You'd have a point if they had reused the weird cut for the Life in the Ruins trailer for instance.

There have been at least two subsequent trailers where they used the same audio file. One is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1fhrHf-LU4

And the other I can't seem to find at the moment, but I know it exists cause I made the same complaint and was surprised to see it again.

Top Bottom