• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda U/NX artwork + E3 plans

Nice art indeed. I really, really hope most of the regular characters will look nice too and not have circus freak faces and proportions like usual.

BY2K

Membero Americo
lol right handed link

could you fucking imagine the salt if they actually kept motion controls

If there was motion control we would have seen them already in the VGA footage.

They just decided to make him right-handed for some reason.

Anth0ny

If there was motion control we would have seen them already in the VGA footage.

They just decided to make him right-handed for some reason.

VGA footage was a long time ago fam.

LOTS of things could have changed since then.

yo Link looks mighty feminine there

Good!

Link's still looking androygnous.

Good!

Does Link look female?

Good!

Link looks like a lady.

Good!

That art looks great.

He's always looked androgynous.

Damn straight. Link IS androgynous.
I hope male Link keeps that aesthetic in this game.

*EDIT* To clarify, I think that's your usual male Link in that artwork. I have no qualms with a female Link, however.

PMS341

Well, we're almost assured to be getting gyro controls, which I couldn't be happier about.

Yeah Zelda is a game where gyro really does help. Shined in the 3DS remakes and WWHD (haven't played TPHD, but I assume it's similar).

Art looks great, wish it was larger. Absolutely down with the new tunic.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Perhaps a bit off topic, but I don't think there's a thread yet for it, I assume booth construction/crates photos ought to start appearing any day now. I saw Wario64 tweeted one a while ago (not of Nintendo's booth though).

The amount of demo kiosks for The Legend of Zelda should be quite substantial.

DrArchon

Yep. That's art.

I wonder why they're so adamant on holding back on Link's real outfit. We all know he's gonna get the green tunic, so why are they spending so much time showing him off in this outfit?

Luigiv

For everyone saying Link looks female in the artwork: don't look at his eyes, look at his chest,* he's clearly a dude (just a very androgynous one).

*There's a "my eyes are up here" joke in there somewhere.

This art is really, very beautiful. I am especially impressed with the lighting. But I must say, I'm not sure If i like the "underpainting" look to it. Underpainting meaning a lower layer of a painting, before the significant details get added... Maybe they are just giving us these as teases, but I would really like to see something more finished, with an environment, and a more concrete style, like the Wind Waker or Skyward Sword art possessed.
I am only being critical because I honestly think this is the best art style they have ever done for Zelda, and I guess I feel very connected to it!

Complete

Banned
For everyone saying Link looks female in the artwork: don't look at his eyes, look at his chest,* he's clearly a dude (just a very androgynous one).

*There's a "my eyes are up here" joke in there somewhere.
Please, no.

Women without breasts exist, you know. That's a thing in the real world. Would be nice if we could acknowledge that (and even nicer if Nintendo actually made male and female link completely visually identical aside from one or two distinguishing features that aren't breasts).

Oh, and bindings are a thing too. And sports bras tend to have a binding effect as well (though I suppose those wouldn't necessarily exist in a Zelda world).

Übermatik;206065261 said:
Damn straight. Link IS androgynous.
I hope male Link keeps that aesthetic in this game.

*EDIT* To clarify, I think that's your usual male Link in that artwork. I have no qualms with a female Link, however.

And that's what people should think about when it comes to Zelda. It doesn't matter if she's male or female, link has always been androgynous (As is right in line with Japan's long history of androgynous beauty in art), and it wouldn't have to affect the story if the gender changed. We should be willing to play Link regardless of the form, and I'm more than happy to have Link be female. I think it would be a fun change.

Please, no.

Women without breasts exist, you know. That's a thing in the real world. Would be nice if we could acknowledge that (and even nicer if Nintendo actually made male and female link completely visually identical aside from one or two distinguishing features that aren't breasts).

Oh, and bindings are a thing too. And sports bras tend to have a binding effect as well (though I suppose those wouldn't necessarily exist in a Zelda world).

Exactly this. I would love it if they allowed you to choose your gender and it resulted in zero visual change. It would be a good reminder that many, if not most, of our gender constructs are societal, not biological.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I need a detective gaf on this post, stat. Does this man know something, I must know what
Might simply be referencing the sine integral of "X" or "X DAYS", due to his username.

For what purpose I don't know.

I need a detective gaf on this post, stat. Does this man know something, I must know what

zelda e3 stuff is in ~6 days lol. no need detective gaf or stuff like that to understand that post.... or i'm got tricked @_@
edit: oh bolded letters, didn't realize that so ignore me /runs

Peltz

Guys, this art style may be the best Nintendo has ever made. If the game really looks like direct feed teaser footage we've seen so far, I'm going to lose my shit (in a good way).

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Its weird, its like everyone just forgot that link has always been androgynous atleast since ocarina of time

spekkeh

Banned
Its weird, its like everyone just forgot that link has always been androgynous atleast since ocarina of time

latest

??

Doesn't look particularly androgynous to me. I think since Twilight Princess he's meant to look like Miyamoto, and his thin eyebrows together with big anime eyes kind of turns effeminate. Only since maybe Skyward Sword did it take a turn for the androgynous, but not outright girly like in the Zelda 2017 art.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
So for the first day of Nintendo at E3, we'll only get Zelda and Pokémon?

They will release their E3 press kits on that day, so all sorts of announcements, release dates, and game confirmations will happen regardless of what cycles on the Treehouse Stream.

Aikidoka

Link has nòt always been Androgynous. There's really no way to anyone would think that Link from OoT, MM, or TP was a girl.

latest

??

Doesn't look particularly androgynous to me. I think since Twilight Princess he's meant to look like Miyamoto, and his thin eyebrows together with big anime eyes kind of turns effeminate. Only since maybe Skyward Sword did it take a turn for the androgynous, but not outright girly like in the Zelda 2017 art.

The actual renders of the characters tell a different story. Link has been androgynous for a long time, even if that artist representation in what you posted makes it look more masculine.

OoT
62055_25_LinkSitting_EN.jpg

The-Legend-of-Zelda-Ocarina-of-Time-3D-Includes-Master-Quest-Version-2.jpg

Twilight Princess
52.jpg

Wind Waker
Zelda-Wii-U-Wind-Waker-HD-Link-and-Villagers.jpg

Hyrule Warriors
Hyrule-Warriors-Link-646x363.jpg

Its androgyny pretty much everywhere.

latest

??

I show my momma this she said its girl lol

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
latest

??

Yes, his face since OoT is androgynous, its not the face you would usually give a man, also over the years androgynous characters have been drawn to look more and more effeminate over the years, to the point that we can look back and they seem manly in comparison.

remember when people thought marth was a girl in melee?
SSBM_Portrait_Marth.png

Well here's libra from FE;A

Also I dont think link has ever looked even close to like miyamoto despite link being miyamoto.

Yonafunu

Link has always looked androgynous in-game. But I'd say this is the first time the art has also looked more androgynous.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Everyone's saying that the blue outfit with a hood is the new "look", but I'd bet my house on the fact that this game will have different clothing to buy. You'll probably even be able to buy the original green tunic/cap combo. Blue outfit is likely the default starting look.

but you'll have to unlock them in miitomo first

after linking your account to your console

Top Bottom