• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda U/NX artwork + E3 plans

AdanVC

Beautiful art. Love the oil painting look they are using. Hope the whole artwork for this game is like this. I loved Skyward Sword art because of that and the watercolor-ish style.

Also, screw all of that Miitomo content. So salty the app hasn't released in my country yet :(

AdanVC

Btw everybody read this part.

June 15

Nintendo Treehouse: Live – Day 2: Starting at 10 a.m. PT, the Nintendo Treehouse: Live programming will showcase upcoming Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games, including Monster Hunter Generations from Capcom, Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE. The day will start with a special Pokémon GO developer Q&A. Watch all of Nintendo’s action from the E3 show floor via Nintendo’s channels on YouTube and Twitch, as well as on...

There will be more than those Monster Hunter, DQVII and TMS on day 2. I expect to see Color Splash!

But I'm wondering why they didn't mention Color Splash then... Totally expecting the game either to be delayed till next year or it's still on early stages of development. The least thing Wii U needed right now...

Edit: Oh my sorry for double posting :(

KingBroly

Banned
But I'm wondering why they didn't mention Color Splash then... Totally expecting the game either to be delayed till next year or it's still on early stages of development. The least thing Wii U needed right now...

They didn't mention Fed Farce, either.

Anyways, the artwork is CLEARLY Link. People spouting otherwise is nonsense.
It's just Zelda using magic to take the form of Link, the hero. Opinion, of course

maxcriden

Edit: Oh my sorry for double posting :(

As Broly said, Fed Force wasn't mentioned either, and--it seems like Nintendo at the last minute decided to show more than just Zelda. So probably new demos/trailers of these two games may just not have been ready on such notice. Nintendo previously said only Zelda would be shown, so I think this is a reasonable conclusion.

I don't expect Color Splash to be delayed. It is likely the sole H2 2016 first party retail release for Wii U.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
As Broly said, Fed Force wasn't mentioned either, and--it seems like Nintendo at the last minute decided to show more than just Zelda. So probably new demos/trailers of these two games may just not have been ready on such notice. Nintendo previously said only Zelda would be shown, so I think this is a reasonable conclusion.

I don't think that was ever the case. They probably always intended to dedicate some portion of their press opportunity to their robust 3DS line up including Pokemon, Federation Force, Style Savvy 3, Rhythm Tengoku, and maybe their unannounced holiday game N-Stars.

Their headline was always that Zelda would be their focus at the E3 convention and their only playable game at the show floor. Then there was this Treehouse Zelda world premiere showcase as an addendum.. It's just a muddy mess of communication really.

This gotta be our first look at the female option right? That's one girly-looking Link. More than your regular androgynous male Link. And if be fine with that.

Can't wait for next week so we get a solid answer on whether there's a female option or not so we can stop this constant "no it isn't" "yes it is" arguments.

Reversed

Here guys I changed some things and created a - what I think - good, modern look for the male Link version, what do you think

T9Ag7zh.png

Link Simmons sure is looking good.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Did Ya Know Gamin'

Link's face is based on series creator Shiguru Miyamoto's. He also wears a green triangular hat to reflect Miyamoto's favourite choccy in a box of Quality Street.

Zelda's face was originally based on series composer Koji Kondo. But after he insulted Aonuma's moustache he was relegated to just composing the 'item collect' jingle which is why he makes sure it plays every time you pick up rupee!

Tingle's face and personally are based on late Nintendo president Hiroshi Yamauchi.

Epona's face is based on a horse.

Yonafunu

The continued lack of the standard tunic is interesting. That'll probably be significant somehow.

Well, looking at everything we've seen of the game so far, leaving out the green tunic could actually have some design reasons too. Can you imagine having a character in green running around in those green fields? He'd be damn near invisible.

Of course, this hasn't been a problem in any previous game, but this one seems to take the overworld even further. I think. Maybe.

AdanVC

They didn't mention Fed Farce, either.

Anyways, the artwork is CLEARLY Link. People spouting otherwise is nonsense.
It's just Zelda using magic to take the form of Link, the hero. Opinion, of course

I don't expect Color Splash to be delayed. It is likely the sole H2 2016 first party retail release for Wii U.

That's true. Maybe that's the reason they didn't make a funny announcement video with Mega64 this year. Nintendo was still planning what to show at E3 literally the last week, hah. Hope Color Splash is not delayed since it's the only single game I have interest in getting... wich is absolutely depressing but oh well. Currently playing through my backlog and this past weekend I bought Yoshi's Wolly World wich is already becoming one of my fave 2d platformers in a while.

I'm not hyped. I'm tired of seeing Epona and Link on the grass field for the 30 time.

Hopefully we will get a nice trailer of dungeons, story and villages at E3

maxcriden

I don't think that was ever the case. They probably always intended to dedicate some portion of their press opportunity to their robust 3DS line up including Pokemon, Federation Force, Style Savvy 3, Rhythm Tengoku, and maybe their unannounced holiday game N-Stars.

Their headline was always that Zelda would be their focus at the E3 convention and their only playable game at the show floor. Then there was this Treehouse Zelda world premiere showcase as an addendum.. It's just a muddy mess of communication really.

At least, we can agree their messaging about this has been awful.

April 27:

The Legend of Zelda: The latest instalment in this classic series is scheduled to launch simultaneously for both Wii U and NX, and both versions of the game have been in development in tandem. Because the developers need more time to polish the game, it will launch in 2017, but it will be the focus of Nintendo’s presence at E3.

E3: Nintendo changes its approach to the show every year. This June, Nintendo will focus its attentions on the upcoming game in The Legend of Zelda series. The Wii U version of the game will be playable for the first time on the E3 show floor, and it will be the only playable game Nintendo presents at the show, in order to provide attendees a complete immersion. Additional information about Nintendo’s E3 plans will be announced in the future.

May 5:

Nintendo’s kickoff to the E3 show happens at 9 a.m. PT Tuesday, June 14, when Nintendo of America President and COO Reggie Fils-Aime introduces Nintendo Treehouse: Live, which will be dedicated to a day of live-streamed gameplay of The Legend of Zelda. This will be the world’s first in-depth look at the game, which will also include commentaries by Nintendo developers. The Legend of Zelda gameplay will be streamed from the E3 show floor via Nintendo’s channels on YouTube and Twitch, as well as on http://e3.nintendo.com. The stream will include game coverage, behind-the-scenes info and plenty of fun.

Last week and today: a whole bunch of other stuff will also be shown. But not specifically FP games other than Pokémon. :/

I was sure I read some press release or comment from Nintendo that they would only show Zelda and no other games, some kind of PR clarifying comment I want to say. But I can't find it now so I can only critique their murky messaging rather than provide any proof of clear internal contradiction.

In re: intending to dedicate some portion of their press opportunity to showing off Pokémon, Fed Force, Style Savvy, RH, and N-Stars: we know now that they are showing off Pokémon. But if they always intended to show off any of these or other games, why are they now announcing they're showing off several third party/localized games but none of the other games above, nor Color Splash? That's part of what leads me to think they planned on only Zelda and if they'd had plans to show more from the get go, that they would be mentioning first party games then, or at least be mentioning those now instead of only third party games. When do you foresee them showing off these 3DS games at this point? I'm setting my expectations low at this point and as such am sort of expecting press assets for them only and a Direct focusing on them after E3, perhaps.

I realize I'm just speculating here and we only have evidence that they are now telling us the plan is to show other games also, but given the unusually haphazard messaging, it leads me to speculate as to behind-the-scenes murkiness more than I usually would. Hope that makes sense. I don't disagree with you per se, I just wish we had better or clearer messaging surrounding all of this, and a clearer picture of whether the plans have changed or not. I know I can't prove they have changed, but the murky messaging through multiple waves of slightly differing messages (last week's PR made it sound like Pokémon would be shown before Zelda, this week's sounds the opposite) doesn't help Nintendo come off as having had a consistent plan throughout.

Beautiful art. Love the oil painting look they are using. Hope the whole artwork for this game is like this. I loved Skyward Sword art because of that and the watercolor-ish style
To me, this is what Skyward Sword should have looked like but couldn't because of the system power.
Then again, we have barely seen any actual game footage of the new one so hopefully it looks close to
this style.

Might be the best art style in the series for me but that remains to be seen.

Well you will be hyped when you see the game next week so whats the big deal? lol

The deal is that I fear Zelda U will be all about grass fields in a sandbox, rather than interesting places to explore. I meant they showed nothing else but grass fields so far. I really hope E3 proves me wrong and tells us more about the story, the dungeons and interesting places. I don't want it to be Zelda 1 in modern age.

ReyVGM

They've been making it clear they want to set this game apart by turning typical Zelda conventions upside down, and from this image they're clearly trying to recapture the feeling of the original Zelda (manual art anyway):

Zelda-comparison.jpg

I doubt they'll do a full reboot, tossing out all the lore and timeline shenanigans, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if this game is treated more like a starting point for the future of the series, akin to Zelda 1.

Have you seen the other Zelda 1 artwork? How awesome it would be if they also recreate the other ones ingame?

Specially this LttP one:

BKfZoTT.png

ReyVGM

God I want to see the map so bad! I hope they show the whole map of the game next week. Also, I want to see how you'll be able to travel through water? Will there be a boat or canoe? Maybe Link will walk on top of the water?

As much as I would want to see the entire game RIGHT NOW, I think it would be best if they don't show the map, so that it's a surprise what the final map will look like.

But my guess is that they will show it to 'prove' how big the game is.

ReyVGM

Sorry, it was probably a bit harsh, I figured he was trying to be negative just to sound negative which gets annoying. I also don't like that "Miyamoto ruins everything" rhetoric being passed around since it spreads easily and some people probably just aren't aware of the facts behind it through no fault of their own. But you're right, it's best to ignore people when they're attempting to be inflammatory.

Problem some of those people have is that they probably don't follow news that much, don't read dev interviews, among other things. They pop their head on GAF or twitter a couple of times a week and hear people complaining and or giving false opinions about how Miyamoto ruined Paper Mario and Star Fox Zero and they just regurgitate the same statements every time the topic comes up.

Epona's face is based on a horse.

You leave Sarah Jessica Parker out of this!

Have you seen the other Zelda 1 artwork? How awesome it would be if they also recreate the other ones ingame?

Specially this LttP one:

BKfZoTT.png

Yeah I'd love that! This one too:

zelda_2_manual.jpg

I love the exaggerated fantasy terrain/cliffs/buildings in these pieces of art, and it's really not something we've seen in any games all that often.

ReyVGM

Everyone's saying that the blue outfit with a hood is the new "look", but I'd bet my house on the fact that this game will have different clothing to buy. You'll probably even be able to buy the original green tunic/cap combo. Blue outfit is likely the default starting look.

My hope is that they will take the best things of past Zelda games, and implement it here. So the different outfits from Tri Force Heroes can hopefully make a comeback here. Same with the Timeshift Stones and crafting from Skyward Sword.

Anonuma soft of confirmed that the worldmap boss enemy you saw on the first trailer was inspired by Hyrule Warriors.

As much as I would want to see the entire game RIGHT NOW, I think it would be best if they don't show the map, so that it's a surprise what the final map will look like.

But my guess is that they will show it to 'prove' how big the game is.
I mean that's what gamers nowadays care about. They want a big open world and I think Nintendo will definitely want to show how big it is. Lol

maxcriden

Thanks. I hope we (in the EU) get all the same discounts and bonuses.

Sure thing. And I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news if this is a disappointing sale list, but these are the EU discounts:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1229439

No mention of E3/MyNintendo discounts/bonuses. Hopefully they will do a separate, larger E3 sale for you next week. (And certainly, it's entirely possible that the NA sale will be disappointing--we just don't know what the sale items are yet or what the MyN bonus is, i.e. whether it's extra coins, a digital good, a discount, or something else entirely.)

Guys, the blue shirt looks is obviously just the outfit you wear during the the opening segment where you start off in a small town doing menial tasks before some shit goes down that forces you to go out into the world and save whoever's kidnapped. You'll probably get the traditional green tunic after the first peudo-dungeon portion of the game, at latest and be stuck with it for the rest of the game barring maybe one or two "special" tunics/armors that give you heavily situational advantages but otherwise do nothing.

Nintendo could win their fans over by putting a Zelda U demo on the eshop after the treehouse presentation. Even someone like me who has only beaten 2 zelda games in my life I would love to explore in the new Zelda

Anth0ny

Guys, the blue shirt looks is obviously just the outfit you wear during the the opening segment where you start off in a small town doing menial tasks before some shit goes down that forces you to go out into the world and save whoever's kidnapped. You'll probably get the traditional green tunic after the first peudo-dungeon portion of the game, at latest and be stuck with it for the rest of the game barring maybe one or two "special" tunics/armors that give you heavily situational advantages but otherwise do nothing.

for the love of fuck can we have a zelda that doesn't start like this AGAIN

please

ReyVGM

People who think Nintendo were always planning to show more games and that initial PR statement was just misinterpreted are delusional.

It's obvious they decided to add another Treehouse day to show other games after the backlash from fans complaining about it. If you went to Nintendo's E3 site previous to the second PR announcement, you would see the calendar only had 1 day to mark, now it has 2.

That art is gorgeous. Still surprised that they're going in hard with the blue clothing that Link's wearing, and we still haven't seen a green tunic.

As one could infer from my avatar, The Legend of Zelda is my favorite series of all time. This game has been my most anticipated game for far too long, and I was supremely disappointed when it wasn't shown in any capacity last year at E3.

Even though Zelda U won't release until 2017, I am more than happy that we finally get to see the next Zelda in all its glory next week. My expectations are slightly high, but I've never truly been let down by the Zelda franchise. The only game I was somewhat frustrated with was Skyward Sword. Specifically - The end game of retrieving your equipment, the musical notes, and the more linear world design. Everything else was awesome including the motion controls. Game was still a 9 - 9.5 for me.

Top Bottom