• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda Wind Waker HD videos

BY2K

Membero Americo
Wow just saw the Gohdan boss battle, insane. Too bad the Wii U Zelda will not be in the Wind Waker art style.

Whatever it is, it will be something nobody expected.

Nintendo loves to experiment with artstyle for Zelda.

Neiteio

titshdnobgfakmi.png

TITS HD

titshd2ckqb.png

HD TITS ON A BEACH

edit: I clearly either don't know or don't care where up or down is.
lol, that will do!

Meesh

I'm not really a serious/major contributor on GAF, but if someone's got the skills to do mine I'd be one happy Hylian.

jts

...hate me...
I'd love to setup a CRT next to my TV and have it hooked to a Wii/GC and have someone play the original while I play the HD version. At least some parts.
I might just do that.

Loving the distinct visual feel of both. Makes each unique, and they're both gorgeous.

apana

I am expecting somewhere in between Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. I think Nintendo will want to retreat back to a safer style after something more experimental. I liked the original concept art for Skyward Sword where Link almost looks like he is molded out of clay.

edit: Just saw the Wind Waker videos for the pearls and darknut battle, more insanity.

mdtauk

They will try to pick the art style which suits the game's setting, story, and characters.

Personally I would like a cross between Wind Waker, and Skyward Sword speaking realistically. Speaking totally from the heart, a style which matches the artwork from A Link to the Past's manual. Stark outlined and cel-shaded characters, with backgrounds/environments which look painted and no outlines.

I edited this piece of ALttP artwork to use Wind Waker colours, and show of the idea.
iPUSqCGBsFK7F.png

Edit: And one more with bloom ^ _ ^
iAHO5y4oc2jfF.png

leroidys

Those pictures are incredible - good lord. I'm going on a blackout from now until this game comes out, which is a first for a re-release for me.

Dear God,

Give me a new Zelda game that takes place in sunken Hyrule.

Your friend,
oatmeal

I would sacrifice so many baby <insert adorable thing here> to Demise to make this happen. Gd dm

BY2K

Membero Americo
That lighting engine just blows my mind.

I cannot wait to see what they can squeeze out of the Wii U's power with the next Zelda.

That lighting engine just blows my mind.

I cannot wait to see what they can squeeze out of the Wii U's power with the next Zelda.

Best looking game on the Wii U so far? By a country mile.

Better looking than any 360 or PS3 game graphically? I'M CRAZY ENOUGH TO SAY YES.

COME AT ME LAST OF US FANS.

Mory Dunz

Thinking back on it, Wind Waker having this style was such a huge risk for Nintendo (Thank goodness they did it)

- With Zelda's transition to 3D, people had fallen in love with Adult Link in OoT and Melee (Myself included). Majora's Mask, unfairly, was seen as the "other" game at the time so in this next Zelda people were expecting to see TP pretty much. Or that -now ugly- cg trailer from 2000.

- Zelda has always been pretty dark in art style. Or at least definitely not bright and cartoony. This was beyond a departure from the standard, which caused a lot of backlash initally (myself included again. Man I was dumb...).

- Even for being a kid, WW Link didn't look "cool" anymore. With the transition to 3D, adult and child Link official art kind of gave off that feeling of an adventurer/warrior. With toon Link he just looked like a regular kid with big eyes.

-Imagine another huge franchise like this taking that artistic risk. Like Halo or something become cel-shaded and cartoony. Interesting to consider.

I'm glad the risk was taken.

Fake EDIT:
We've had 2 adult Links in a row. Will Zelda U be a kid or adult?
Or a old man?

Riki

Thinking back on it, Wind Waker having this style was such a huge risk for Nintendo (Thank goodness they did it)

- With Zelda's transition to 3D, people had fallen in love with Adult Link in OoT and Melee (Myself included). Majora's Mask, unfairly, was seen as the "other" game at the time so in this next Zelda people were expecting to see TP pretty much. Or that -now ugly- cg trailer from 2000.

- Zelda has always been pretty dark in art style. Or at least definitely not bright and cartoony. This was beyond a departure from the standard, which caused a lot of backlash initally (myself included again. Man I was dumb...).

- Even for being a kid, WW Link didn't look "cool" anymore. With the transition to 3D, adult and child Link official art kind of gave off that feeling of an adventurer/warrior. With toon Link he just looked like a regular kid with big eyes.

-Imagine another huge franchise like this taking that artistic risk. Like Halo or something become cel-shaded and cartoony. Interesting to consider.

I'm glad the risk was taken.

Fake EDIT:
We've had 2 adult Links in a row. Will Zelda U be a kid or adult?
Or a old man?

Well, considering the huge backlash against Wind Waker's reveal, it was a risk even up until the launch. Luckily, gamers came to their senses and saw the beautiful and deep game that it was.

Better bit kid Link again!

HarlockJC

Banned
Wow just saw the Gohdan boss battle, insane. Too bad the Wii U Zelda will not be in the Wind Waker art style.

I personally don't mind leaving the Wind Waker art on the DS systems. With the older Link on the Wii U. It's a good way to keep the stories going.

Top Bottom