• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newest FFXII related Penny-Arcade comic (do not let the SMB vibe fool you)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
20060908.jpg

Penny-Arcade said:
FFXII's Gambit System is, and I am not exaggerating for effect, the mechanism by which you relinquish control of the game.

They do point to the 1up's FFXII preview:

The gambit system will probably be the source of much debate as it can significantly change how you play the game. For those who haven't gotten acquainted with it yet, this system amounts to a series of logic gates you can setup to automate how every character in your party behaves. It essentially amounts to you custom programming the A.I. for them.

And it's by no means basic. With a save loaded only a few hours short of the conclusion, characters sported gambit lists stretching towards twelve steps. This allows extremely sophisticated progressions. For instance, one character could be watching the party for damage, status effects, and unconsciousness to give the corresponding healing, while also making sure to keep mana points up, the party buffed, the enemies de-buffed, and if all else fails taking a swing at the nearest opponent.

At this high level, these detailed arrangements allow the game to almost in essence play itself. With everyone acting in unison, as you've planned, the pace of action is unlike prior Final Fantasies, except XI, and that's where the MMORPG comparisons come in. Whether fans will embrace the change remains to be seen. For those turned off by it all there is a more traditional "wait" mode that can be activated, but clearly the intent of the game was to make this a more active experience. Now that we have the English version, we'll dive back in and put together one last look between now and its release October 31st. to help you get a sense for how you'll respond.

They are not saying FFXII is exactly like this, but projecting that kind of system into the future and how it could evolve (of course trying to be funny they do bring the idea to its extreme).

kenta

Has no PEINS
Yes Penny Arcade you just set the controller in front of you and it plays itself, that's exactly what happens

jett

D-Member
teiresias said:
So they admit having no idea how to play the game?

They admit to being stupid retards. You can turn gambits off and control the characters yourself.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
jett said:
They admit to being stupid retards. You can turn gambits off and control the characters yourself.
try doing that the whole game, you'll grow tire of that 5 minutes in. battle system is simply to choatic to manage every single action in the game.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
Even if you don't turn the gambits OFF, the FFXII's characters only start with 2 gambit slots, and many useful gambits must be bought or found through the game. And even so, the player must constantly change the gambits in each area, after studying the enemies and their attacks, and open the command's menu a lot of times mainly in the hard battles. So gambits never really control the game for the player until very, very late in the game. Thus Penny-Arcade fails.

bluemax

Banned
I hated the fact that I was still buying/finding gambits 50+ hours into the game.

Honestly I can't help but feel gambits were as botched as the license board. They're interesting ideas on paper, but the final implementation is just short of the mark. It's one thing to have to buy all my spells (which is also limiting and stupid) it's another to have to buy my freaking AI controls when I'm 80% through the game.

jett

D-Member
Error2k4 said:
try doing that the whole game, you'll grow tire of that 5 minutes in. battle system is simply to choatic to manage every single action in the game.

Just controlling one character makes P-A look like douches. :p

kenta

Has no PEINS
jett said:
Just controlling one character makes P-A look like douches. :p
This is exactly my plan, I'll configure Gambits on my party members and leave Gambits turned off of my main character. Best of both worlds!

Mashing

Grivenger said:
Even if you don't turn the gambits OFF, the FFXII's characters only start with 2 gambit slots, and many useful gambits must be bought or found through the game. And even so, the player must constantly change the gambits in each area, after studying the enemies and their attacks, and open the command's menu a lot of times mainly in the hard battles. So gambits never really control the game for the player until very, very late in the game. Thus Penny-Arcade fails.

The way you described that makes it sound as annoying as ****. I don't want to be having to opening the menu anymore than I have to.

jiji said:
Exaggerating an initial gut-reaction and using it to trivialize a well-constructed central gameplay mechanism = teh funney? ok

FF fans are already sensitive about being told they're 'watching' rather than 'playing' the game so it's a logical extentition to make fun of the new Gambit system in this way.

True, the Gambit system might be the bee's knees and teh most aweSOME thing evAR, but saying it that way is rarely amusing.

Amir0x

Banned
Error2k4 said:

Asserting what you'll get tired of or what some other people will get tired into what he or I will get tired of is the problem. The game is designed entirely with both play styles in mind - whether you give the game all, none or entire control is up to you. That's the benefit of true, unadultered freedom. Freedom haters may have trouble dealing with it; even if you had trouble enjoying the intricacies of programming each of your characters down the smallest detail the alternatives are just as viable. And that's the joy of FFXII. Superior. Pure. Future.

bluemax

Banned
Grivenger said:

I set my gambits maybe twice the whole game. I win most bosts fights by being able to outlast the boss (With some earlier boss fights being won through Mist Knacks). To say you HAVE to change you gambits all the time isn't completely true. You can win every boss fight by doing little more than attacking, healing, curing status effects and using dispel on the boss.

Of course this probably isn't the best strategy, but it works...

Joe Molotov

jiji said:
Exaggerating an initial gut-reaction and using it to trivialize a well-constructed central gameplay mechanism = teh funney? ok

Watching all the FF fanboys leap to the rescue is. :lol

Nerve = Struck

snatches

OMG

the anger in this thread is totally hilarious. they are taking a shot at something SE took a lot of time to develop, whether you can turn it off or not.

It's a joke people

Wollan

I personaly can't wait to 'program' the ai. Sort of like playing a game where you are a summoner with three advanced 'pets' in your command.

Amir0x

Banned
snatches said:
OMG

the anger in this thread is totally hilarious. they are taking a shot at something SE took a lot of time to develop, whether you can turn it off or not.

It's a joke people

Oh certainly. Not a particularly funny joke either way, though. My response was purely aimed at Error2k4... GAFs resident freedom hater, and lover of all things archaic :(

kenta

Has no PEINS
snatches said:
OMG

It's a joke people
your FACE is a joke but unfortunately I CAN'T TURN IT OFF so FFXII wins yet again

Error

Amir0x said:
Asserting what you'll get tired of or what some other people will get tired into what he or I will get tired of is the problem. The game is designed entirely with both play styles in mind - whether you give the game all, none or entire control is up to you. That's the benefit of true, unadultered freedom. Freedom haters may have trouble dealing with it; even if you had trouble enjoying the intricacies of programming each of your characters down the smallest detail the alternatives are just as viable. And that's the joy of FFXII. Superior. Pure. Future.
no Amir0x it isnt.

try managing every single action in the game in every single battle (some places in the game are like 2 hours long full of baddies) and then come back to me and say the game was designed with both playstyles in mind. the game simply discourages the player for not using gambits by being annoying and tedious if you dont use them that's not freedom imo.

edit: Im not freedom hater.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Error2k4 said:
no Amir0x it isnt.

try managing every single action in the game in every single battle (some places in the game are like 2 hours long full of baddies) and then come back to me and say the game was designed with both playstyles in mind. the game simply discourages the player for not using gambits by being annoying and tedious if you dont use them that's not freedom imo.
His point is that it's not cut-and-dry, on-or-off. You can set the gambits to be as autonomous as you want so there is plenty of middle ground to speak of

I dunno, that really sounds pretty cool to me. I like the thought of having super customizable AI party members with the Gambit system and the License Board.

Why is this a meme already? I'm serious, why do people think it's that hands off, why do they want to spout that constantly, and why do they think they're racking up e-points by doing said spouting?

Amir0x

Banned
Error2k4 said:
no Amir0x it isnt.

While I recognize you've spent 68 hours watching various videos Red Scarlet whipped up, the impression you've imagined up is simply incorrect (in reference to relative enjoyment). You're again telling me what I or some others will get tired of, and I'm telling you that it's impossible for me to get tired of complete freedom. If one way happens to be more 'streamlined' and 'faster', that's cool - it's just one option open to you. A method being slower is not equivalent of being worse. Nor does it mean you'll necessarily get bored. You might get bored, but then again you like random battles!

I have tried both methods of play, and I found that a mix is certainly where my style will fall in... however, I found it perfectly feasible to play with entire hands-on or entire hands-off. And I barely even got to play entire hands-off - since I could not understand the gambits in Japanese, i can't wait for the possibilities of hyper programming my characters. The sort of layers add to a complex and multilayered game suited to your personal style of play. Well, unless you hate freedom.

ProbationSmack said:
Earthbound

Even Earthbound manages to realize how archaic it can be - it allows you to simply automatically win battles of enemies below you AND the enemies appear on the field. It's half way there, at least.

SatelliteOfLove said:
Why is this a meme already? I'm serious, why do people think it's that hands off, why do they want to spout that constantly, and why do they think they're racking up e-points by doing said spouting?

It's like getting exp! Three more posts to level up in FFXII defense!! :lol
JKJKJKJKJKJKJKJKJKJKJKJKJKJK

Error

I havent watched 68 hours of scarlet ff12 vids.

saying you can play the game without gambits is like saying you can play FF7 without Materias while both are doable is simply too annoying to bother with it and that's NOT freedom imo.

I dont understand your definition of freedom.

and like how you bring up that I have watched a lot of scarlet's vids like that's relevant to the discussion.

mollipen

I haven't played the actual game yet, outside of maybe 10 minutes spent with it at E3, but I am 100% totally completely in favor of having all of your party members, except for "your" character, be fully AI controlled. If the AI wasn't such an under-developed mess, I could possibly proclaim Star Ocean 3's battle engine as my favorite in the history of J-RPGs. Sure, there are times when I want to get my hands dirty and have specific characters do specific things, but I find it much more enjoyable to have them act like "living" characters and perform actions on their own. Not only is it nice to concentrate on winning the battle, and have an AI controller character worry about keeping me healed, but it also helps the story (IMHO) and whatnot by making those characters seem a bit more alive.

I'd like to see the idea pushed even farther, in fact. Have relationships build between the characters, which would then affect how they act. For example, if I'm playing a male character, and I always go out of my way to protect a certain female character from harm, she develops a crush on my character, which would then make me her preference when, say, she has the choice of healing either my character or one of the other party members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom