• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Career Step (Udacity course or CCNA certification)

Hey everyone,

I'm currently working in an Oil Company and been doing so for the past three years. The pay is decent specially given the current job market in my area (Saudi Arabia). It's a pretty good job but the salary increase is really slow regardless and it is not in something I'm passionate about. I'm currently working in the Network Management department dealing with Cisco routers and switches.

I graduated with a degree in Computer Science back in 2014 and I really love app/web development. I thought about transferring to another department that is more in-line with that but that is super hard to do and it is not something the company cares about.

My job is not hectic and very laid back so I want to take the opportunity and do something constructive with my time. I'm thinking of getting a certificate that could help with my current job (or future jobs if I decided to quite), or getting 'proper' education in something I'm interested in and start a side business.

OPTION 1:
My mentor, has suggested that I go for the CCNA certificate since I'm working in Networks now and saying it would be very beneficial and will surely impress our supervisors.

This would take probably three months of studying and then an exam which costs about 200 dollars.

OPTION 2:
I've been eyeing Udacity courses, specially the iOS App Development one. I'm good enough as a developer I feel, but I don't have much experience with iOS and I don't have a proper portfolio and the Udacity could help with that.

Their 'nano degree' program is six months long and costs about $150 a month. You supposedly get %50 back if you graduate within a year. Though I don't have any experience with Udacity other than what they choose to share on their website.
https://www.udacity.com/course/ios-developer-nanodegree--nd003

I feel more interested in the second option, but the first feels more guaranteed in terms of returns.

I'm wondering what you guys and gals think... I'm really not sure what to do and I don't want to waste any more time.

Top Bottom