• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Fatal Frame for the Wii!!

Eteric Rice

IzumiK said:
Yep. Time to leave the thread. Obviously the truth isn't getting to people.

If you think survival horror does better with controls, then that's your opinion. It's a fact that survival horror depends on visuals and sounds to deliver the game. Kikushi knew that from the beginning but Tecmo has other things in mind.

No, it's not a fact, that's an opinion. For many, RE4 was waaay more enjoyable on the Wii than the other systems.

Stop trying to pass your bullshit as fact, thanks.

Amir0x

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
No, it's not a fact, that's an opinion. For many, RE4 was waaay more enjoyable on the Wii than the other systems.

Stop trying to pass your bullshit as fact, thanks.

are you agreeing with him that thinking wii controls are better is an opinion, like he said? Or are you disagreeing that it's a fact that survival horror games have always been about creating suspense, atmosphere and immersion through the use of intense visual and audio cues?

Eteric Rice

Amir0x said:
are you agreeing with him that thinking wii controls are better is an opinion, like he said? Or are you disagreeing that it's a fact that survival horror games have always been about creating suspense, atmosphere and immersion through the use of intense visual and audio cues?

I'm trying to say that they're both opinions. Some people prefer controls, some prefer visuals.

It's a fact that survival horror depends on visuals and sounds to deliver the game. Kikushi knew that from the beginning but Tecmo has other things in mind.

OmG Fatal Frame 4 will not have visuals? Confirmed. :(

Amir0x

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
I'm trying to say that they're both opinions. Some people prefer controls, some prefer visuals.

heh, you say that as if they're separate. on the systems with "power and visuals", you still get great controls. i don't think i've ever had to choose, have you?

Eteric Rice

Amir0x said:
heh, you say that as if they're separate. on the systems with "power and visuals", you still get great controls. i don't think i've ever had to choose, have you?

Welcome to this generation, where you have to choose.

I prefer the Wii-mote thus far (I've always hated dual-analog, though. It's the reason I never got into Halo), so I'm happy about this. If you're a graphics person, oh well, RE5 and such are still coming up.

Maztorre

IzumiK said:
If you think survival horror does better with controls, then that's your opinion. It's a fact that survival horror depends on visuals and sounds to deliver the game. Kikushi knew that from the beginning but Tecmo has other things in mind.

So when he says something it's an opinion but when you say something it is fact. Thanks for clearing that up!

Also finishing off by putting words in the mouth of both the creator and the publisher of the game is a classy move.

Frankly, I think your whining is fucking insane, given that they've signed Grasshopper Manufacture, a studio that rises in profile seemingly by the day now, and one of the most able Wii developers around. It's certainly more preferable than the mess going on with the Silent Hill series, where no-name developers are being entrusted with next-gen development. Let's see how each respective game turns out a year from now.

Saitou

Banned
IzumiK said:
Yep. Time to leave the thread. Obviously the truth isn't getting to people.

Text can't scare you CONFIRMED

Protip:
Die in a fire

Amir0x

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
Welcome to this generation, where you have to choose.

I prefer the Wii-mote thus far (I've always hated dual-analog, though. It's the reason I never got into Halo).

Oh, i'm sorry you have to choose, I don't have to though. There's already a system that offers rad control and good graphics.

Anyway i have no viewpoint on Fatal Frame coming to Wii; 360/PS3 have Alone in the Dark, Silent Hill, Resi 5. How could those gamers possibly complain?

Eteric Rice

Amir0x said:
Oh, i'm sorry you have to choose, I don't have to though. There's already a system that offers rad control and good graphics.

Anyway i have no viewpoint on Fatal Frame coming to Wii; 360/PS3 have Alone in the Dark, Silent Hill, Resi 5. How could those gamers possibly complain?

Yup, I like the PC too. :lol

That certainly seems like an intriguing combination...Somehow exciting too... Color me interested.

By the way, some of you people seriously need to shut the fuck up and get over it. Last I know, this kind of bitching about some console exclusivity is bannable here since a while now, so you're better off crying about that and spreading your desperate FUD somewhere else.

Grecco

Amir0x said:

Whats this mythical console. I would like to purchase it. Its not the Xbox 360 btw. I already have that.

Amir0x

Banned
Grecco said:
Whats this mythical console. I would like to purchase it. Its not the Xbox 360 btw. I already have that.

You answered your own question and then wanted to play some hypothetical game of pretend where it wasn't Xbox 360 - a system not only with one of the greatest controllers ever made, but with phenomenal power AND a fantastic calibre of game lineup - so I'm not sure how you expect me to respond except...

... :lol

Saitou said:
One of these is not like the other.

The NEW Alone in the Dark is extremely compelling. I was not interested at all until they revealed what they're doing with it.

Grecco

Eteric Rice said:
It's the PC, man! You can even build it yourself! :D

Sure but the whole pay 500 bucks for the bitchin graphics card every 3 to 4 years kinda sucks.

You answered your own question and then wanted to play some hypothetical game of pretend where it wasn't Xbox 360 - a system not only with one of the greatest controllers ever made, but with phenomenal power AND a fantastic calibre of game lineup - so I'm not sure how you expect me to respond except...

The fantastic game lineup is unquestionable. But thats irrelevant were talking about controls. And no person in their right mind would suggest the Xbox has great controls with the shittyest of shit digital pads in existance. So shitty that people have to amount to shaving off pieces of plastic just to be able to use it.

Oh and ill take Waggle for FPS any day of the week over the analog sticks. Hell I played Metroid Prime for a day and went back to the COD Beta and it felt sooo bad.

Eteric Rice

Amir0x said:

The NEW Alone in the Dark is extremely compelling. I was not interested at all until they revealed what they're doing with it.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. :p

Saitou said:
D-PAD

Argument nullified.

Boom, headshot!

d[-_-]b

Banned
Amir0x said:

:lol :lol :lol

Amir0x said:

Competent controls and great graphics. (360)

Great controls and competent graphics. (Wii)

I choose both. :D

Very simplified way of looking at it though... and I rant too much as it is.

DreD

People bitch because they think Wii lacks hardcore games, but when these are announced, they whine and want them to be on PS360 instead? This shit is getting annoying...

Zeed

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:

I went PSWii, what does that make me?

dkeane

DreD said:
People bitch because they think Wii lacks hardcore games, but when these are announced, they whine and want them to be on PS360 instead? This shit is getting annoying...
Especially when the genres/game being brought to the Wii could potentially be improved by different controls.

Amir0x

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:

But 360 doesn't have "competent" controls, it has "phenomenal" controls.

I hate to break it to some of you zombies, but traditional controllers didn't stop being fantastic once wiimote came out with its absurd gesturing. 360 controller is practically the ultimate refinement of traditional controls - a tried of true method of controlling that is enjoyable and comfortable and fucking fantastic - and therefore, by any logical definition it is one of the greatest controllers of all time.

You can blame it on being a "lapsed" gamer or always sucking at certain genre thanks to the boogie man of dual analog, but the truth is you just sucked and the controllers still ruled despite that.

DreD said:
That's because they just want to whine.

Amir0x said:

D-pad.

Amir0x said:

I hate to break it to some of you zombies, but traditional controllers didn't stop being fantastic once wiimote came out with its absurd gesturing. 360 controller is practically the ultimate refinement of traditional controls - a tried of true method of controlling that is enjoyable and comfortable and fucking fantastic - and therefore, by any logical definition it is one of the greatest controllers of all time.

You can blame it on being a "lapsed" gamer or always sucking at certain genre thanks to the boogie man of dual analog, but the truth is you just sucked and the controllers still ruled despite that.

I knew you'd step into the opinion you were just chastising Eteric Rice for.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Another derailed Wii game announcement thread.

Shocking

Maztorre

Amir0x said:

I hate to break it to you zombies, but traditional controllers didn't stop being fantastic once wiimote came out with its absurd gesturing. 360 controller is practically the ultimate refinement of traditional controls - a tried of true method of controlling that is enjoyable and comfortable and fucking fantastic - and therefore, by any logical definition it is one of the greatest controllers of all time.

except for the d-pad, which wouldn't even be an issue only they have so many goddamn good XBLA games that basically require it (Hi Pac-Man C.E).

In any case can we give it a fucking break with an argument that was laid to rest a year ago? The news here is that the game is being made and the team that is making it, not the nature of one system that isn't getting it versus another.

Amir0x said:
I would agree with this in most cases but RE4 for Wii really illustrated how waggle can make for a thrilling experience. I suspect FF will have similar controls- pointing the flashlight in realtime. That kind of thing would be difficult to "feel" on traditional controllers.

schuelma said:

Shocking

0616_348.jpg

schuelma said:

Shocking
What do you expect.

The Wii has no good games.

Therefore any game announced for the Wii is automatically a bad casual waggle-fest that'll suck.

Fact.

Science proves it.

Maztorre

BlackTyrano said:
Can't help it when most people in the thread haven't played the series they're whining about.

This seems to be the case every time any particular game series moves to another platform. Frankly I'm surprised there wasn't an OMG BETRAYALTON thread whenever sega put streets of rage 2 on XBLA as well as Virtual Console.

Amir0x said:

And I don't agree in the slightest.

There is a huge gap between the use of a mouse and that of an analog stick. Developers have learned to work around them out of necessity, and yes they work pretty damn well. I won't ever take that away from any developers like Bungie that have excelled with that limitation.

But it's never been realistic to me. I'd never say I was the best Halo player out there. I was ok, not great. Average, I guess is the word I'm looking for. I've always excelled at PC style FPS, and the Pointer in the Wiimote is an extremely similar concept (both being relative pointing).

It could always be better, and the Wiimote is a step in a more mouselike direction. I have no real qualms with dual analog control. It could be better, and I stick by that.

mepaco

Amir0x said:

I thought this was supposed to be an argument about the level of immersion the controller can provide, not which is the ultimate traditional controller.

In any case, the argument seems to be that if a game can benefit (even a little) from improved visuals, it should only be released for the most graphically powerful system. Ignoring the fact that this leads to every game being released for PC and zero releases for everything else, I still think the assumption that gamers will have every console ridiculous. Is the Wii not allowed to have exclusives? Wii owners want the games and companies want the money, how is that not to everyones' benefit?

I'm really not going to reply to anyone in particular here, but I will throw in my 2 cents. I'm a big fan of survival horror games in the vein of Silent Hill and Fatal Frame, and I have played through both series with the exception of Fatal Frame 3. With that being said, audio/visuals do play a definite part in the heightening of tension, but why is it then that the original Silent Hill is still the most frightening, and not one of its sequels?

Both Resident Evil 5 and Silent Hill 5 are coming to the high definition consoles, and I have no doubt that they will embrace the available technology; however, the original Silent Hill and Fatal Frame, done on consoles that span two generations back, are still atmospheric enough to provide the goods. Given that the Wii is an upgrade (no matter how slight) of the previous generation, one should not assume that a scary game cannot be done with "inferior" hardware. If Grasshopper can at least provide the same sense of tension that the original provided, with fluid controls, and a slightly upgraded graphical look, then I have absolutely no reason to complain.

Edit: I see that the argument actually went into controls as opposed to graphical prowess, so my post is only slightly relevant then.

Amir0x

Banned
so basically, you guys think that the d-pad issue is enough to change 360 controller from one of the greatest controllers, to just a good controller?

man wiimote must really knock you guys out; lack of second analog stick to perform even the most baser of functions 3D games have had since the late PSX era, 1 and 2 buttons are in a poor uncomfortable position when holding wiimote as a remote, when held sideways the controller is barely ergonomic and due to the batteries feels disjointed due to the weight being more on one side.

and PS3 controller sucks because the original lacked rumble, had shitty tilt, still hasn't fixed those loosey goosey analogs, needs to switch d-pad position for analog. Etc etc etc

no controller out right now is PERFECT. 360 is just the best there currently is.

mepaco said:
I thought this was supposed to be an argument about the level of immersion the controller can provide, not which is the ultimate traditional controller.

In any case, the argument seems to be that if a game can benefit (even a little) from improved visuals, it should only be released for the most graphically powerful system. Ignoring the fact that this leads to every game being released for PC and zero releases for everything else, I still think the assumption that gamers will have every console ridiculous. Is the Wii not allowed to have exclusives? Wii owners want the games and companies want the money, how is that not to everyones' benefit?

no no, it can have every exclusive ever for all it wants. I'm not complaining about Fatal Frame at all. I was merely taking issue with the idea that it's controls OR graphics, since there is a system that offers both and it's called 360.

Top Bottom