• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Incoming :messenger_grinning_sweat:

5df5e6a5c9273.jpeg

Can we take a moment and appreciate how thick that woman's legs are? :messenger_heart: Gotta love Dyson commercials.

What does this mean in a language I can actually understand?

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
The problem with a 6.5TF Lockhart would be that Xbox SX wouldn't be able to match it when playing the same games in 4K

Stop using logic ... now so many suspect xbox SX will be the most powerful everyone wants to hate on lockhart ... even though its totally capable of playing SX games at 1080p by the numbers and likely wont hold anything back.

ethomaz

Banned
Yea, there's a thread about it, but I wanted to add something else that I just noticed.
https://twitter.com/XboxP3 [Scarlett SoC / 8K written on it], over $9000 incoming?

Also (don't know if precaution or PS5 is stronger):

I still believe the PS5 chip has a bit more TFs than Xbox One Series X chip.
They will market with Xbox instead console.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Why wouldn't you?
Because there is enough evidences for that while the evidences for Scarlett being stronger is way more obscure and based in claim to create market buzz.

Actually we didn't even know how much power Scarlett will have but the hype machine already says 12TFs based in an ambiguous Phil claim.

Last edited:

xool

pVkEGpt.jpg

So I estimate around 13.6 by 9.3 11 transistor lengths (not TF lol)

If they're 3mmx1.5mm resitors thats 13.6x9.3x3 = 380mm2 (the next common size down is 2mmx1mm 2mmx1.3mm which would make only 252mm (same size as 5700)

That's ~150 smt's in area - common smt's can be 3x1.5mm, 2x1.3mm, or 15x.8mm (4.5, 2.6, or 1.2mm2)

So that gives 675, 390, or 180mm2

Keeping a level head, two of the three are too big/too small - I see two one possibilities :
  1. Chip is ~390mm2 - it's a beast
  2. Chip is bullshot based on a Navi 10 mockup or dev kit chip and is only 251mm2
Stay cool

[edit smt side ratio is ~2:1 not 1.5:1 -this means it should be #1]
[edit2 - made a ton of maths errrors - luckily estimate didn't change much - now at 390mm2 not 380mm2]

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
So I estimate around 13.6 by 9.3 transistor lengths (not TF lol)

If they're 3mmx1.5mm resitors thats 13.6x9.3x3 = 380mm2 (the next common size down is 2mmx1mm which would make only 252mm (same size as 5700)

Keeping a level head I see two possibilities :
  1. Chip is 380mm2 - it's a beast
  2. Chip is bullshot based on a Navi 10 mockup or dev kit chip and is only 251mm2
Stay cool
380mm2 is the size that most fit the leaks plus the mensure from the E3 video.

Last edited:

chigstoke

If they're 3mmx1.5mm resitors thats 13.6x9.3x3 = 380mm2 (the next common size down is 2mmx1mm which would make only 252mm (same size as 5700)

Stay cool
Some people guesstimated 380mm2 didn’t they for when the 56cu stuff was being mentioned?

But yeah if it is 380 then that’s a big chip for a console.

Armorian

Banned
Just noticed that.

Same as when they had 4K on the One X SOC. Some people are going to be sorely disappointed when they’re not playing any 8K games at all.

To be fair, X1X has some demanding 4K games and that's impressive. But 8k is out of the picture for any technically impressive game next gen.

I'm beggining to suspect that devs have problem with Lockhart because they don't want to target native 4k in their games, with 4K native resolution scaling back to 1080p should be easy (and Lockhart has some spare because it's not 4x less powerful but 3x) but if they want to target something like 1440p+ and use all available power to max out fidelity Lockhart won't be able to run that in 1080p.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
We can say for sure MS certainly did not cheap out this time on the apu silicon budget. That thing is big I thought MS was messing with people with the E3 video and it come in closer to 340. Good for gamers of both sides.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Even more people were shocked ( DF and forums) when it DID and does play almost all new games at 4k.
I remember when I was blasted for saying it'll have 4K games and people called me a lot of names for believing it. Those were the days.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Because there is enough evidences for that while the evidences for Scarlett being stronger is way more obscure and based in claim to create market buzz.

Actually we didn't even know how much power Scarlett will have but the hype machine already says 12TFs based in an ambiguous Phil claim.

There has been way more ppl in the industry saying ps5 is stronger and I'm not just talking about insiders like Osiris. Thts why I said why would uod you not still believe lol it was rhetorical.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
pVkEGpt.jpg

If they're 3mmx1.5mm resitors thats 13.6x9.3x3 = 380mm2 (the next common size down is 2mmx1mm 2mmx1.3mm which would make only 252mm (same size as 5700)

Stay cool

[edit smt side ratio is ~2:1 not 1.5:1 -this means it should be #1]

giphy.gif

chigstoke

Even more people were shocked ( DF and forums) when it DID and does play almost all new games at 4k.
I'll give them credit where credit is due, how they squeezed that much performance from a Jaguar based SOC impressed me hugely.
Obviously a lot to do with the Polaris graphics included but regardless, getting an 8 core Jagaur mobile chip to do what it was doing was damn impressive.

I just think 8K is a bridge too far right now, plus the price point of 8K TV's being a limiting factor.

I think the focus will rightly be on getting 4K and RT working together at acceptable performance levels.

DJ12

Didn't MS say after Game Awards that they will talk more about SeX during CES with AMD? We might get technical details.
Are you refering to the image of Phil with Su? That was a fake.

Not heard anything official, but I would guess if they are showing up it will be in AMDs presser, as AMD did not design PS5 RT so pointless them showing it off.

I imagine only an xbox game will currently use AMD's RT solution to demonstrate what it's capable of.

Vol5

dO7wSpcd_400x400.jpg

Is that a sunset reflecting off it?

The sun setting on Sony's empire

It's interesting that image has been released. It's probably an indicator that MS know they have the silicon advantage over Sony...and good on MS for pushing the envelope.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Armorian

Banned
I think the focus will rightly be on getting 4K and RT working together at acceptable performance levels.

2080ti is not able to do this with current gen games with RT. RT usage will be very limited in 4K games next gen or games will have to run in lower res to use more impressive Ray Tracing implementations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom