• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we take a moment and appreciate how thick that woman's legs are? :messenger_heart: Gotta love Dyson commercials.

What does this mean in a language I can actually understand?
This.

I dont fuckimg get it.

Why do people just post shit without providing any context to what were meant to he reacting to.

I can post a random picture of an HDMI cord without any description or explanation for doing so. It will add fuck all to the discussion so let's have the next 3 pages of comments asking what the heck I'm looking at or meant to be looking at.

It really irks me.

So again fellas. What the fuck is the image of Phil Spencers twitter

Edit: Aplogies if I'm coming across as aggressive but this happens far too often and it's really sucks when more people have to ask what exactly is being posted when people just dump random images without any explanation.

Last edited:

DJ12

It's interesting that image has been released. It's probably an indicator that MS know they have the silicon advantage over Sony...and good on MS for pushing the envelope.
Imagine if Sony use a 3d stack as one of the many patents suggest and it's actually smaller when added up.

Also Xbox one > PS4 APU size, how'd that work.

Good logic pal, keep it up.

ethomaz

Banned
Imagine if Sony use a 3d stack as one of the many patents suggest and it's actually smaller when added up.

I was thinking to post the XB1 and PS4 silicon advantage but I give up thinking people will say I'm just being salty :D
I want to see Sony surprising most of the us.

xool

'twas the night before CES and all through the house
nothing was stirring not even a mouse

Meanwhile at xbox HQ [shouting] : "post the scarlet die shots, get on fucking twitter and post em now, fuck sony before they get out of bed"

So again fellas. What the fuck is the image of Phil Spencers twitter

Dude it's a picture of a massive chip with the words "Scarlet" written on it, and you're on a next gen console thread... I'll order you another coffee, a strong one. [clue - it's the xbox one series x apu ]

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Hopefully they both end up near identical power wise, then it will at least limit console warz down to games themselves, which is the most important thing, or should be.
That is really hard to happen imo.
Unless one of the companies upclock to reach the same TFs after the specs were disclosed.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Hopefully they both end up near identical power wise, then it will at least limit console warz down to games themselves, which is the most important thing, or should be.

Unfortunately, since MS first party games have to also run on that Lockheart turd, Sony first party games will have an advantage.

Lort

Banned
Do you have a list? Because there is more sub-4k games on X than native 4k... most games didn't run at native 4k.

Almost every game that has dynamic scaling on xbox one x also has dynamic scaling on the ps4 as it can’t do 1080p..

Your brag is really a self own. The console was designed to run ps4 1080p games at 4k ... and it does.

Sorry if you hate the fact I play RDR 2, BF5, Modern warfare and more at 4k.

ethomaz

Banned
Almost every game that has dynamic scaling on xbox one x also has dynamic scaling on the ps4 as it can’t do 1080p..

Your brag is really a self own. The console was designed to run ps4 1080p games at 4k ... and it does.

Sorry if you hate the fact I play RDR 2, BF5, Modern warfare and more at 4k.
Where is all these 4k games on Xbox One X?
You made the claim.... show the list.

Again there is more games sub4k in X than native 4k.

BF5 uses dynamic resolution 1836p-1944p.
Modern Warfare uses dynamic resolution down to 1920x2160.

So you are not playing these games at 4k lol
That makes you a liar.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Unfortunately, since MS first party games have to also run on that Lockheart turd, Sony first party games will have an advantage.
1080p vs 4k. In theory there will be nothing held back, it will be the same games but 1080p on Lockhart, and 4k on Series X.
Having said that, i'm still not convinced Lockhart is what we think it is. I still feel it could end up being just a digital Series X, or a streaming version, which was the orig rumour going way back.

Lort

Banned
I'll give them credit where credit is due, how they squeezed that much performance from a Jaguar based SOC impressed me hugely.
Obviously a lot to do with the Polaris graphics included but regardless, getting an 8 core Jagaur mobile chip to do what it was doing was damn impressive.

I just think 8K is a bridge too far right now, plus the price point of 8K TV's being a limiting factor.

I think the focus will rightly be on getting 4K and RT working together at acceptable performance levels.

It did surprise everyone ... I will be dynamic 8k with variable rate shading .. so I’m technically it will be 8k but it will also not be 8k through the whole pipeline all the time.

Banned

Red Dead Redemption 2
Forza 7
Forza Horizon 3
Forza Horizon 4
Gears of War 4
Sea of Thieves

these are games that Don't even use any dynamic resolution scaling.

there are also tons of games that run at 4k most of the time but have a dynamic scaling if they need it, like for exampleO Overwatch

Vol5

Are you suggesting I'm some sort of XBOX fanboy or something? Fuck right off. Check my post history. I'm happy that MS is going for power in a console. I'd be even happier if Sony go 3D stacked x2 GPU 16TF whatever....but I'm a realist. Sony have historically gone for a mid-tier GPU from the previous year.

chigstoke

2080ti is not able to do this with current gen games with RT. RT usage will be very limited in 4K games next gen or games will have to run in lower res to use more impressive Ray Tracing implementations.
That’s why I said they’ll have to find an acceptable performance level, there will be clear trade offs ofc.
I tried the Quake 2 RTX on my 2080 when it came out. Even at 1440 it wasn’t smooth sailing. But it looked fantastic.

ethomaz

Banned
Red Dead Redemption 2
Forza 7
Forza Horizon 3
Forza Horizon 4
Gears of War 4
Sea of Thieves

these are games that Don't even use any dynamic resolution scaling.

there are also tons of games that run at 4k most of the time but have a dynamic scaling if they need it, like for exampleO Overwatch
You can count the games that runs at native 4k in yours hands fingers but what about all the rest?
Again his claim is pretty much false.

Most of games on Xbox One X runs below 4k that is what most predicted before the launch... some games will indeed run at native 4k.

Xbox One X is not a 4k machine... it is the same as PS4 Pro but stronger... a mid-gen upgrade.

The only machine you can say it is definitively a 1080p machine is PS4 because over 90% of its games runs at native 1080p.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

1080p vs 4k. In theory there will be nothing held back, it will be the same games but 1080p on Lockhart, and 4k on Series X.
Having said that, i'm still not convinced Lockhart is what we think it is. I still feel it could end up being just a digital Series X, or a streaming version, which was the orig rumour going way back.
It's more than just resolution, though. AI scripts, number of NPCs on the screen, visual effects … those will probably not be easy to replicate on the Lockheart. We'll see.

Shin

Banned
dO7wSpcd_400x400.jpg

Is that a sunset reflecting off it?

The sun setting on Sony's empire
Haha, that was actually funny :p

Stuart360

It's more than just resolution, though. AI scripts, number of NPCs on the screen, visual effects … those will probably not be easy to replicate on the Lockheart. We'll see.
Well not really, lts like my PC with my 980ti. I can run a modern game maxed out at 1080p-1440p, but a 2080ti could run the same game at the same settings but at 4k. If Lockhart is simply a 1080p version of Series X, it will be the same kind of deal. Same settings, same framerate, but at 1080p instead of 4k. You will buy the game and if you put it in Lockhart, it runs at 1080p, and you put it in Series X, it runs at 4k.

Banned
You can count the games that runs at native 4k in yours hands fingers but what about all the rest?
Again his claim is pretty much false.

Most of games on Xbox One X runs below 4k that is what most predicted before the launch... some games will indeed run at native 4k.

do you think I will google every fucking resolution for every game to make sure which resolution they use? these are just the ones I know for sure are 4k from the top of my head.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Rumors are those, that Lockhart is going to have same CPU, RAM, Storage, no? Then what you mentioned, is not an issue, if only GPU is weaker. Relatively speaking.

Lort

Banned

BF5 uses dynamic resolution 1836p-1944p.
Modern Warfare uses dynamic resolution down to 1920x2160.

So you are not playing these games at 4k lol
That makes you a liar.

Modern warfare on ps4 ... “PS4 uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest native resolution found being approximately 960×1080 and the highest native resolution found being 1920×1080.”

“PS4 Pro uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest native resolution found being approximately 1152×1800 and the highest native resolution found being 1920×2160. “

That’s obviously inferior ... Sony made the 4k claim for ps4 pro and the 10800 60fps claim for ps4.

Microsoft has done a much better job of achieving what they said rather than Sonys blatant lies. .. the liar here is Sony that is not in debate.

Sony has claimed 8k for ps5 ... good luck with that.

ethomaz

Banned
do you think I will google every fucking resolution for every game to make sure which resolution they use? these are just the ones I know for sure are 4k from the top of my head.
You don't need.

FACT there is way more sub-4k games on Xbox One X than native 4k.

I was just asking him do show to everybody how his claim was a lie.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Sounding very confident . Hope it doesn’t backfire like ur last time and zen cpu inside X 😜

Even if ps5 is 5-10% more powerful, people can't complain they went "underpowered"

Judging by the new SoC shot and XSX design, it's clear that MS will be breaking new boundaries in console power consumption. So if Sony goes even more ham, its just Sony going more ham, not xbox being underpowered.

2080ti is not able to do this with current gen games with RT. RT usage will be very limited in 4K games next gen or games will have to run in lower res to use more impressive Ray Tracing implementations.

All he's pointing out, and I fully expect it will be on the box when it's sold, too, is the fact that the console is capable of outputting games and other things at 8K, which it is, even if none are ever actually made.
Sounding very confident . Hope it doesn’t backfire like ur last time and zen cpu inside X 😜

That was wishful thinking and always a long shot based on my excitement for Xbox One X from talking to someone close to the project at fanfest/xbox briefing. This one not so much. And even if I'm wrong, which I'm not, it's a shoulder shrug and move on type situation lol. I will game on both regardless.

Have you seen Star Citizen running on the hardware it's meant to run on?
I have.

Doesn't mean Star Citizen developers are struggling to develop their game due to it running on weaker pcs. Their struggle comes from elsewhere (*cough* Roberts). This idea of downscaling happens already in PC gaming and a lot of console game development. That's my point. To assume a lower end system means the entire generation is held back when we have a clear reference point in the current gen and in the pc arena showing the opposite, to me that is clearly an assumption with negativity for no reason other than to point a finger and blame somebody. Witcher 3 runs on the Xbox One OG for gods sake. Somebody playing Witcher 3 on pc didn't have their experience ruined because it was able to be downgraded to the OG One.

With consoles moving closer to the structure of pcs, why would we assume that the technology wouldn't allow for the same level of game development between a range of systems? PC market is even more cluttered than the console market in terms of various graphics cards of varying degree of power and the manufacturers. Xbox would be developing for 3 consoles maybe, possibly only 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom