• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's not gameplay people. It's probably even prer-rendered/cgi. Use a bit of common sense.
eh. its in engine just like the halo e3 trailer.
we all know games look better in cutscenes. that wont change next gen. gameplay wont look as good as the hellblade 2 trailer but they arent going to downgrade the water simulation and swap out the assets for gameplay. they will change the LODs on the character models and turn down some detail in the environments during gameplay.

current gen games already look this good in cutscenes.

kfE9qJ6.gif

common sense actually dictates that hellblade 2 graphics are possible in next gen cutscenes.

onQ123

It’s true. It’s just that it doesn’t represent the complete story. I.e, no game is fp16 only, therefore no game on ps4pro is performing at 8.4tf vs a fp32 6tf Xbox X.

The nuance is key in such conversations, leaving it out can come across to some as a disingenuous stance.

I don't think he ever tried to paint it as being the same as 8.4TF fp32

That is equally bad. I don't believe anything. I just look at what Sony put out in the generations before and I am confident they won't underdeliver. And if they do so be it. Would be the first time.

edit: I mean underdeliver compared to the competition

In my honest opinion, with the exception of the Xbox One and PS4's initial release, Xbox has technically always made the better system. Xbox One X was Xbox more or less getting back on track. So if Xbox Series X happens to beat PS5 by as much as the AMD github leaks suggest it does, then this wouldn't be an aberration, but a continuation of a trend where Xbox was better 4 out 5 times. And the AMD leaks on the potential specs for both systems is, love it or hate it, the best and most detailed information we've gotten on either console from just about anybody.

In my honest opinion, with the exception of the Xbox One and PS4's initial release, Xbox has technically always made the better system. Xbox One X was Xbox more or less getting back on track. So if Xbox Series X happens to beat PS5 by as much as the AMD github leaks suggest it does, then this wouldn't be an aberration, but a continuation of a trend where Xbox was better 4 out 5 times. And the AMD leaks on the potential specs for both systems is, love it or hate it, the best and most detailed information we've gotten on either console from just about anybody.

Wasn't the Xbox later in every scenario except the 360/PS3? I'm not saying you're wrong, but the only time we've had a true like for like comparison was XB1 and PS4. Obviously MS made a mistake there and I don't think that will happen again. But I don't see much value in comparing any of the other generations, or even the mid gen refresh this time around. It's like Sony deciding to release in 2021 at a similar/higher price and claiming that they did a better job. It doesn't make sense.

“This has the potential to radically increase performance."

And then it radically didn’t.

*Radically increase the performance of certain FP computation that can lower precision without any perceptible depreciation is visual quality.

This is what Cerny was intending. Not everything a GPU does involves FP math to begin with. So anyone expecting a 2x increase in overall GPU performance from RPM only exposes how little they understand about how a GPU works.

Fundamentally, the utilisation of RPM on the Pro would always be expected to be low. It’s an optimisation that has to be targeted manually by developers, I.e. cannot be used transparently in the driver or OS. It requires careful consideration for use, i.e. often comprehensive numerical analysis.

Pragmatically, given how few Pros would be expected to be sold, many devs wouldn’t be interested in or even have the time to spare to implement such an optimisation in 3rd party games when those devs have four other platforms to concern themselves with, I.e. XB1S, PS4, XB1X and PC.

RPM was always something that would have benefited the platform better, had it existed in all hardware since the beginning of the gen..

Since, afaik, it’s present in Navi, the new-gen consoles should benefit much more than the Pro from its inclusion.

Wasn't the Xbox later in every scenario except the 360/PS3? I'm not saying you're wrong, but the only time we've had a true like for like comparison was XB1 and PS4. Obviously MS made a mistake there and I don't think that will happen again. But I don't see much value in comparing any of the other generations, or even the mid gen refresh this time around. It's like Sony deciding to release in 2021 at a similar/higher price and claiming that they did a better job. It doesn't make sense.

Yea, you're right about that. My main point was to showcase that Microsoft has always seemingly prided themselves on having a console stronger than whatever the competition had, even if it did arrive at a later date. This is why I don't feel it would be so out of the ordinary if Series X somehow held that same position even after what took place with xbox one and ps4.

Yea, you're right about that. My main point was to showcase that Microsoft has always seemingly prided themselves on having a console stronger than whatever the competition had, even if it did arrive at a later date. This is why I don't feel it would be so out of the ordinary if Series X somehow held that same position even after what took place with xbox one and ps4.

Hmm. Maybe.

I think they've both demonstrated that having cutting edge hardware is important, so it's a coin flip for me. The only reason I think XSX make actually have the edge is due to the Lockhart rumours. It makes little sense to have have both consoles weaker than the competition, so I imagine MS will want to be ahead on hardware.

to be frank, I find it a little nonsensical to say that the Xbox series X has 12 Tflops of compute performance simply by extrapolating that as a fact from what Phil Spencer said about it having double the compute performance of the oX. There’s a plethora of factors to take into account about the Rdna vs Gcn including but not limited to the 1,25x performance per flop advantage that rdna has over gcn , the redesigned memory and cache subsystems among others, 9.75 Tflops of rdna compute gives you about 12 Gcn tflops. We can’t just conclude that the Xbox Series X has 12 Rdna Tflops from Spencer’s rather vague statement, it just doesn’t sound logical to me to look at it from that angle. So, I’ll remain cautiously optimistic until both get unveiled, so I can get a clear picture of their performance, not just raise my expectations unrealistically high, only to be disappointed later. Temper your expectations people.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Most of this "leak" seems very plausible. Fact is, all of Sony's studios bar ND and SP are probably all developing games for PS5 already. Basically, there is nothing that unrealistic with most of it. If any of it doesn't happen at the reveal, it's likely it'll come within 12-18 months of launch anyway. It reads like a compilation of popular rumours today surrounding Sony's first party studios.
ND has 2 teams, they are probably already making a ps5 game.
SP probably has a small team doing pre-development of a ps5 game, since GoT must be in final stages (where story planner/concept creators aren't needed).

THE:MILKMAN

Ram / SSD and clock speeds can change, but that’s it.

I'd probably wager even RAM amount is fixed now assuming both use GDDR6 that is. AFAIK there aren't any 4GB chips coming so it will be either 8 2GB chips or 16 1GB chips or a mix like we've seen in Scarlett E3 video.

If they go with the more complex 16 chip solution they could then just switch out these for 2GB chips like what was done with PS4 but that would be very costly and probably wasteful.

PS4 RAM change was likely done in Q3-4 of 2012 as the January 2013 near final dev kit had the 8GB unified RAM. There are now rumours popping up of a new PS5 dev kit so will be interesting, if true, what changes there are.

Want some leaks? Here's one.

A group of members from Xbox Era got a hold of the github leak earlier than others and pieced together a 9.2 tf PS5 theory. They started to push it really hard. You have Proelite Proelite here doing it, even making some bets at Beyond3D that it's going to happen, while his account at Era (DukeBlueBalls) have also been doing it. Great job at always saying that you have a source everywhere else but in Era because you know you'll get found out if you're forced to get verified.

Everything that even hints, or talks about the PS5 in a positive manner gets shut down. Schreier and an Era mod are hacks. Klee has been been public enemy #1, and the stuff that they said on Era pales with what they had at their discord. Colbert joined later and like Proelite Proelite took advantage with Era's 'No off-site drama' policy to be as passive aggressive on Twitter. All the while, Speshal Ed tries to build himself up as an insider. I've lost count over how many 'insiders', or People In The Know, like Timdog, Zedox, hmqgg, Klobrille, Proelite, Speshal Ed that discord has.

So when you see someone post that they have 'sources' saying that PS5 is 9.2 TF, it comes from there. Secretly they want that to be it because they know 2Ghz is impossible so it would be 8TF. The insiders there also came up with another 'leak', that the PS5 wont have many games at launch, which I always found weird because their 9.2 tf theory has it due to the PS5 being made for 2019 but postponed to 2020.

I was glad to get out of the discord some time ago. It just didn't seem healthy. All I wanted was a place to talk about the Xbox without any dumb drama, but that's what I got. I'll be back with more info if it turns out that they were wrong and post more on other dumb stuff that has happened when I was there.

P.S: It makes me sad that even Digital Foundry uses Proelite as a source for some of their articles.
Yikes that’s disgusting Proelite Proelite .if true u need more interesting things to fill your life with as it seems very empty to go through this shit for a plastic box and pretend you are neutral on RE .anyways you just made Sony job to impress people easy. But people will come back to you and your other account dukeblueballs when all is said and done . On discord the shepshal keeps calling Klee a bitch . Like wtf he is an old dude have some respect .

SgtCaffran

Yikes that’s disgusting Proelite Proelite .if true u need more interesting things to fill your life with as it seems very empty to go through this shit for a plastic box and pretend you are neutral on RE .anyways you just made Sony job to impress people easy. But people will come back to you and your other account dukeblueballs when all is said and done . On discord the shepshal keeps calling Klee a bitch . Like wtf he is an old dude have some respect .
Can we please let this rest, it only thrashes this thread and nobody is interested in this whining I think.

Proelite Proelite just be a bigger man and stop reacting. It really derails this thread with off-topic replies. Same goes for Shpeshal Nick Shpeshal Nick and the others.

Proelite

😍

Nickolaidas

Here's a reason why people shouldn't discredit a leak for getting ONE thing wrong: leaks sometimes don't get everything right.

I remember a MK11 leak which talked about the roster and its dlc, story elements and various stuff. Almost everyone called it fake as fuck and discredited it. I held on to it, however, in order to remember what they said.

Here are some leaks (spoilers abound; take care if you have to play MK11):
------------------------------------------------------------
Jax would go to Kronika's side (ended up true)

Reptile would be seen in the Krypt (ended up true)

Time Travel shenanigans (ended up true)

Shang Tsung would be in the story mode (ended up false; he's only in the introduction of the krypt)

Shao Kahn would have a fatality breaking the opponent's shoulders (ended up false)

Scorpion would be killed by D'Vorah (ended up true)

Joker, Terminator, Nightwolf, Sindel, Spawn as DLC (ended up true)

Reiko, Sareena, Fujin, Sheeva, Ash as DLC (has yet to be proven true or false, but I'm willing to bet that aside from Reiko who became an assist, the others will prove legit; furthermore, Havik being removed as an assist makes me believe he swapped places with Reiko in Kombat Pack 2)

Frost would appear as a Cyborg (ended up true)

Noob Saibot's shadow will fight as a separate character (ended up false; he's part of Noob movelist but not a separate entity)

---------------------------------------------------

So what do we gather from all that?

First of all, the leaker is proven right on many things which no one would be able to actually guess WITHOUT knowing something from the devs or from the leaker's source (it's one thing to guess Spawn in the roster as DLC, but nailing every.single.one of the guest characters? That's way too successful to just be a lucky guess). As well as Jax going to Kronika's side. No way you say this without actually knowing your shit.

But the leak also gets some things wrong. Was it misinformation? Change of plans on the devs' side? A second source which didn't know his/her stuff? Anything is possible.

The thing is, we cannot discredit a leak just because it got ONE thing wrong. Many things change, especially if we're talking about things who are months before becoming final. Maybe Sony intended to be at E3 and the talks with ESA went sour at the last minute. Maybe they'll decide that it's not a good time to unveil a Sci-Fi Naughty Dog game and they'll unveil it later on. Maybe they have all those games ready for an unveiling but they're not sure which of them to unveil (say, they wish to unveil 3 out of those 6 games and they're debating which ones to unveil). Anything's possible.

So just because the leak says more info at E3 and Sony cancels their E3 plans … doesn't mean the leak should be thrown to the garbage bin just yet.

Keep an open mind and read those leaks with a grain of salt, and don't be quick to shit on them just because they got one thing wrong, especially when they say twenty different things.

My two cents.

Last edited:

NeroDaGod

A group of members from Xbox Era got a hold of the github leak earlier than others and pieced together a 9.2 tf PS5 theory. They started to push it really hard. You have Proelite Proelite here doing it, even making some bets at Beyond3D that it's going to happen, while his account at Era (DukeBlueBalls) have also been doing it. Great job at always saying that you have a source everywhere else but in Era because you know you'll get found out if you're forced to get verified.

Everything that even hints, or talks about the PS5 in a positive manner gets shut down. Schreier and an Era mod are hacks. Klee has been been public enemy #1, and the stuff that they said on Era pales with what they had at their discord. Colbert joined later and like Proelite Proelite took advantage with Era's 'No off-site drama' policy to be as passive aggressive on Twitter. All the while, Speshal Ed tries to build himself up as an insider. I've lost count over how many 'insiders', or People In The Know, like Timdog, Zedox, hmqgg, Klobrille, Proelite, Speshal Ed that discord has.

So when you see someone post that they have 'sources' saying that PS5 is 9.2 TF, it comes from there. Secretly they want that to be it because they know 2Ghz is impossible so it would be 8TF. The insiders there also came up with another 'leak', that the PS5 wont have many games at launch, which I always found weird because their 9.2 tf theory has it due to the PS5 being made for 2019 but postponed to 2020.

I was glad to get out of the discord some time ago. It just didn't seem healthy. All I wanted was a place to talk about the Xbox without any dumb drama, but that's what I got. I'll be back with more info if it turns out that they were wrong and post more on other dumb stuff that has happened when I was there.

P.S: It makes me sad that even Digital Foundry uses Proelite as a source for some of their articles.

Their agenda has been really obvious to me for a while

Moses85

Oh there they are the little fuc***ers!
Using NAVI 10 GPUs in your new 'next gen' system lol, typical lazy/arrogant Sony move.

Very good reading sir, ty for this!
BTW: iu talking to a Sony ninja infiltrated in Gaf to lower our expectations for the meltdowns.... it's useless to continue the discussion he won't brake

Dude you don't want to start a arms gate warz. You can win the size race, but i will destroy you in hairyflops brute performance.

R600 did it! We back to ps5 8tf bang for the buck machine!

Weaker than Stadia? Never!

Last edited:

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

You know, this is what second time I’m hearing this and I have no idea where it came from. I even searched my whole discord in case I completely forgot I said it and came up with nothing.

But then I remembered something....

Gonna go ahead and assume some salty fanboys have been using this a lot and spreading it around.

Last edited:
Well i have some concerns 😑 :

"""Dean Takahashi, VentureBeat: Is real-time ray-tracing in graphics going to be as big as NVIDIA says it is?

LS: I’ve said in the past that ray tracing is important, and I still believe that, but if you look at where we are today it is still very early. We are investing heavily in ray tracing and investing heavily in the ecosystem around it – both of our console partners have also said that they are using ray tracing. You should expect that our discrete graphics as we go through 2020 will also have ray tracing. I do believe though it is still very early, and the ecosystem needs to develop. We need more games and more software and more applications to take advantage of it. At AMD, we feel very good about our position on ray tracing."""

R600

Banned
to be frank, I find it a little nonsensical to say that the Xbox series X has 12 Tflops of compute performance simply by extrapolating that as a fact from what Phil Spencer said about it having double the compute performance of the oX. There’s a plethora of factors to take into account about the Rdna vs Gcn including but not limited to the 1,25x performance per flop advantage that rdna has over gcn , the redesigned memory and cache subsystems among others, 9.75 Tflops of rdna compute gives you about 12 Gcn tflops. We can’t just conclude that the Xbox Series X has 12 Rdna Tflops from Spencer’s rather vague statement, it just doesn’t sound logical to me to look at it from that angle. So, I’ll remain cautiously optimistic until both get unveiled, so I can get a clear picture of their performance, not just raise my expectations unrealistically high, only to be disappointed later. Temper your expectations people.
9.75TF of Navi gives you far more then 12TF GCN.

7.9TF 5700 easily beats Vega 64 (12.6TF card). ~9.5TF 5700XT matches Radeon 7 (13.7TF) across all resolutions bar 4K where it requires BW (448GB/s vs 1TB/s of R7).

R600

Banned
I didn't say they found it first, but they found it earlier than rogame (who deleted everything after). It was as easy as searching it on Github which was how more people got it after being clued in.

Still what do I know. I only read their chats on discord.

I'll be back once we got more info on the PS5. All I wanted was some place to chat or play games with. What I got was another misterxmedia level conspiracy, and we really dont need that in our Xbox community.
I was the one who actually told Proelite where to find it and it was after _Rogame leak so you are knowingly lying here about it.

It's worth watching this again.
If either or both consoles come in around 10 tflops. It shows that even at 9.2tflops a navi GPU with a Ryzen CPU will easily do today's games at 4k60. So allowing for RT and coding to the boxes there should be some really nice games that come out.

TLZ

Banned

If this is true, this is some cunt shit of the highest order.

Its not just Phil saying twice the power of one X.
Going back 12 months ago there was the first real leaks on Reddit of Ananconda and Lockhart. It had both specs down pat, with Anaconda at 12.x tflops and Lockhart at 4tflops.
Then there was the Windows Central leak which again had the XSX at 12 tflops and Lockhart at 4 tflops.
Then the Github leaks had the XSX GPU with 56 Cu's, which even at a lazy clock speed will do 12tflops.
Then DF said they confirmed through their sources that it was 12 tflops RDNA.

I think it's pretty safe to say the XSX will be around 12.x tflops.

Ar¢tos

The amount disappointment tears shed when the ray tracing capabilities of nextgen are shown will drown the internet.
And the performance cost of that meager amount of RT will lead many into depression.
It's too early for RT on consoles, the tech is not evolved enough (or cost effective enough).

Lort

Banned
*Radically increase the performance of certain FP computation that can lower precision without any perceptible depreciation is visual quality.

This is what Cerny was intending. Not everything a GPU does involves FP math to begin with. So anyone expecting a 2x increase in overall GPU performance from RPM only exposes how little they understand about how a GPU works.

Fundamentally, the utilisation of RPM on the Pro would always be expected to be low. It’s an optimisation that has to be targeted manually by developers, I.e. cannot be used transparently in the driver or OS. It requires careful consideration for use, i.e. often comprehensive numerical analysis.

Pragmatically, given how few Pros would be expected to be sold, many devs wouldn’t be interested in or even have the time to spare to implement such an optimisation in 3rd party games when those devs have four other platforms to concern themselves with, I.e. XB1S, PS4, XB1X and PC.

RPM was always something that would have benefited the platform better, had it existed in all hardware since the beginning of the gen..

Since, afaik, it’s present in Navi, the new-gen consoles should benefit much more than the Pro from its inclusion.

You just redefined radical to mean unnoticeable ... also you prob don’t understand that fp16 math also goes faster than fp32 even without the totally overhyped small added feature from a slightly newer AMD gpu that Cerny borrowed.

The xbox one x has plenty of custom features which actually made such a difference it beats the ps4 pro by MORE than the memory bandwidth.

So whatever overhyped “radical” Cerny tech was included was unequivocally blow away by uber radical xbox optimizations.

Please stop riding on the train of unfulfilled dreams as that ship has sailed. Games like Wolf used it and were blown away by Xbox one x version.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You just redefined radical to mean unnoticeable ... also you prob don’t understand that fp16 math also goes faster than fp32 even without the totally overhyped small added feature from a slightly newer AMD gpu that Cerny borrowed.

The xbox one x has plenty of custom features which actually made such a difference it beats the ps4 pro by MORE than the memory bandwidth.

So whatever overhyped “radical” Cerny tech was included was unequivocally blow away by uber radical xbox optimizations.

Please stop riding on the train of unfulfilled dreams as that ship has sailed. Games like Wolf used it and were blown away by Xbox one x version.

So, One X arriving a year later at a 25% higher RRP than Pro had absolutely nothing to do with it? The way people ignore these two extremely relevant facts kinda cracks me up.

I guess the problem is its a reminder that Sony have been a step ahead all generation, and there's precisely zero evidence to indicate that they've slowed down. Especially as the bottom line is that I'm yet to hear of a single developer report complaining that PS5 is underpowered or that next gen Xbox is better. On the contrary the word is universally positive and that PS5 dev is far more mature and robust at this point in time.

You know, this is what second time I’m hearing this and I have no idea where it came from. I even searched my whole discord in case I completely forgot I said it and came up with nothing.

But then I remembered something....

Gonna go ahead and assume some salty fanboys have been using this a lot and spreading it around.
It’s a bad feeling that you know you fucked up and you have to lie like you are doing now. I was there when u said it a day and half ago on PlayStation discord and everyone told u wtf. U followed it up by saying I won’t ever apologize to him .

Anyways u guys are extremely toxic by the look of your actions. Truth shall send everyone free.

Let’s get back to the topic.bye👋

Last edited:

R600

Banned
Why is it that PS fans here rejected to download data themselves and check it out and instead made up stories like the one regarding Proelite sitting on data for months and being "xbot" with agenda against Playstation?

Why do I have to post our PMs here for people to see that what the new guy saying here is bold face lie and guys clinging on it are even bigger fools?

sinnergy

Where is smoke is fire 🔥... we have seen this before don’t discard that Github beforehand...
Keep an open mind .. it also means anything could happen so don’t take it as gospel either ... but I do think 10 TF RDNA is the max for PS5 if they wanna hit 399 price tag.

Last edited:
Where is smoke is fire 🔥... we have seen this before don’t discard that Github beforehand...
Keep an open mind .. it also means anything could happen so don’t take it as gospel either ... but I do think 10 TF RDNA is the max for PS5 if they wanna hit 399 price tag.
Agreed For sure . At 399 10 TF is max . If it’s more then it has more horsepower

Moses85

399 🤦🏻‍♂️ Sony these idiots

PS3 was released 12 months after 360 and had a weaker GPU, poorer RAM set up, harder to develop for, and a ton more expensive. Then compare the One X to the Pro. Like the PS3, the One X was released 12 months later than the Pro, yet had more and faster RAM, more powerful GPU, faster CPU and a UHD blu-ray player.
We can compare actually.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom