• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

-kb-

No way it is more expensive. You pay for die size. 48 cus takes up more die than 40 Cu's.

You pay for die size and then you bin any chip that doesn't reach your clocks. 2.0Ghz is likely to lose a lot of chips, if the yield was any good it would be the clock for a retail AMD GPU.

Binning 50% of your chips because they can't reach your clocks isn't cheap.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
About tree fiddy?

trouble is, buying Konami, for anybody,has its issues. Is metal gear included? If so, making a game without kojima sounds like suicide.

Silent hill? Well people know they are utterly shite these days, and silent hills aka PT got canned, so unless you revive that, you’re doomed.

PES? Gods would steamroll it...

Castlevania amd Contra are your two big ones where you could go in balls feel and give it your all.

IMP of course...

but to be honest I wouldn’t trust Konami to open a ton of beans that was already open...

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Agreed, what a waste of IPs. F U Konami.

Maybe Sony can just buy the rights to the ip for making games like how they have the rights to spiderman movies.
Licensing sucks.
Look at what happened to Driveclub.
Who knows for how long Sony will be able to sell the Spider-Man game?

Ellery

Oh some juicy new leaks!

And it so happens that it basically has all information about the next 2 years coming from a single person. He must work at a very high level for both Microsoft and Sony at the same time.

And on top of it all it includes The Very First Gran Turismo from the very first Playstation with 120fps and Raytracing.
That person must have forgotten about the free jetpack, perpetuum mobile and an actual living Dinosaur that comes bundled with the PS5.

TBiddy

MS has shown over the past 2-3 years they cannot afford anything other than cheap, small devs, usually on verge of bankruptcy. That's not a dig, it's reality. That rules out Konami.

I keep saying it but no-ones listnin'. Playstation is better funded than Xbox. More specifically: Sony invests MORE than MS in games (Insomniac aquisition is part of this, and shows the difference between the two companies).

If anyone disagrees, try and prove me wrong. No come on, I'm ready for a heated debate this morning, I wrote 'SONY' on my forehead in permanent marker (I'm off work today).

The last time you posted that non-sense, you fled when you were asked to back up your claims with any form of actual proof. Are you ready to do it this time?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
What sort of drive by drivel is that? MS can’t afford anything other than cheap studios? 🤣🤣🤣

Both companies can afford to buy big ass studios and fund stuff like that. But it’s not as simple as you having £50 pocket money and you want to buy a game, bucko. There’s a bit more that goes into it than that...

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
MS has shown over the past 2-3 years they cannot afford anything other than cheap, small devs, usually on verge of bankruptcy. That's not a dig, it's reality. That rules out Konami.
The idea is that you buy a studio with talented people that didn't have the proper funding to do more. Hence you buy a small studio with some talent, that you can expand with the money Microsoft has to build proper AAA titles.

Sure, you can directly buy big studios that cost a lot more, but why not buy a smaller company with talented people that just didn't have the proper funding to grow and build big budget games?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ar¢tos

...what licensing has to do with Driveclub?

Insomniac's Spider-Man reached 15M in like 6 months (or was it less even), so my guess is "for quite some time, as long as the games are good".
Driveclub is no longer sold because of (some) the car licenses, that Sony thought it was not worth (too expensive) to renew.
According to Paul Rustchynsky, who previously headed up Evolution, the decision to pull the game from sale is due to “licensing reasons”. This stems from the “standard practice” to only license models and brands for vehicles for a five-year period rather than indefinitely, Rustchynsky said.

I know Spider-Man sold well, but in the event of a falling out between SIE and Marvel, the license probably won't be renewed.

Niked

Driveclub is no longer sold because of (some) the car licenses, that Sony thought it was not worth (too expensive) to renew.

I know Spider-Man sold well, but in the event of a falling out between SIE and Marvel, the license probably won't be renewed.
Is there a special licens to make a spiderman game? Because Sony/Sony pictures owns the spiderman property

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
It still puzzles me that the game is exclusive at all, seems a little odd, like iron man vr is obvious why it’s exclusive, but spider man would have sold gang busters on both systems. Weird move.

draliko

Rights management gives nightmares, it's a minefield and company got arrogant (specially Disney), the superheroes movies will be the next movie bubble, and right now it ain't cheap to make a game on marvel universe. As it wasn't for LOTR when it was his prime time on cinemas (now the license cost way less)

draliko

It still puzzles me that the game is exclusive at all, seems a little odd, like iron man vr is obvious why it’s exclusive, but spider man would have sold gang busters on both systems. Weird move.
I think the ms simply let this generation ship sinking to concentrate on the future, could also be that Sony leveraged his position (movie division) with marvel (Disney)

DJ12

All good OB. Was actually joking on that post. I care which is more powerful, because if xbox isnt more powerful, the bullshit will start up again. Resolutiongate and 4Kpr will make a ugly return lol.
Come on now, we all know full well if Xbox is more powerful this is exactly what you'd do.

Live by the sword die by the sword.

Anyway, what happened to the YamickG personal crisis you had. Dramatic effect not needed anymore so you've droped the facade.

Ar¢tos

Marvel new approach to games is to get different publishers to do their games instead of licensing to just one. Sony obviously would only make a game for their platforms, but Square is making a multiplatform one. If MS gets to make one, it's not hard to predict it will be Xbox/pc only.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't it Sony's IP? They didn't have the strategy of releasing games on PC back then.

Ar¢tos

I think the ms simply let this generation ship sinking to concentrate on the future, could also be that Sony leveraged his position (movie division) with marvel (Disney)
I doubt it. Sony divisions are very independent and basically ignore each others.
I think it is extremely stupid. Sony Pictures could share IPs often with SIE and SIE games could use Sony music without the stupid 5 years license.
But the reality is that they can't even make an Uncharted movie after trying for ages and SIE ends up composing/commissioning most of the music for their games.
Imagine a new ps5 Wipeout or Destruction Derby game with decent known bands with an unlimited/30 years license. :/

draliko

I doubt it. Sony divisions are very independent and basically ignore each others.
I think it is extremely stupid. Sony Pictures could share IPs often with SIE and SIE games could use Sony music without the stupid 5 years license.
But the reality is that they can't even make an Uncharted movie after trying for ages and SIE ends up composing/commissioning most of the music for their games.
Imagine a new ps5 Wipeout or Destruction Derby game with decent known bands with an unlimited/30 years license. :/
I know in fact I said they could have leveraged the connection they have with marvel via their movie studios, not that they shared the ip license, but having good friend opens a lot of doors in the upper floors (apologize my bad English)

Ar¢tos

Isn't it Sony's IP? They didn't have the strategy of releasing games on PC back then.
No. Marvel approached Sony to make a game based on one of theirs super heroes, Sony contracted Insomniac and it was Insomniac that chose Spider-Man (obviously both Marvel and Sony approved).

SNPlayen

So one “leak” has new Sony SAN Diego studio making new uncharted and another has them making SOCOM. Which do u think it is? Or something else?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
More chance of SOCOM if anything. Uncharted is tired, it’s last game wasnt as good as people wanted, and if they do any other it likely won’t be Nathan Drake anyway. So my money would be on SOCOM out of the two.

plus you have TLOU for that photo real ND itch.

The idea is that you buy a studio with talented people that didn't have the proper funding to do more. Hence you buy a small studio with some talent, that you can expand with the money Microsoft has to build proper AAA titles.

Sure, you can directly buy big studios that cost a lot more, but why not buy a smaller company with talented people that just didn't have the proper funding to grow and build big budget games?
Ninja Theory a case in point. Graphically they have as much talent as anyone, add to that MS money and access to all their development software and bingo.

DJ12

More chance of SOCOM if anything. Uncharted is tired, it’s last game wasnt as good as people wanted, and if they do any other it likely won’t be Nathan Drake anyway. So my money would be on SOCOM out of the two.

plus you have TLOU for that photo real ND itch.
I do wonder what NDs uncharted team are up to. I'd love it to be a jak and daxter reboot but that's not happening.

Yeah, they knew they had lost this gen and were never going to make it back from where they started. They have gone 100 for this new gen.

Come on now, we all know full well if Xbox is more powerful this is exactly what you'd do.

Live by the sword die by the sword.

Anyway, what happened to the YamickG personal crisis you had. Dramatic effect not needed anymore so you've droped the facade.
You took that whole "take the l" way too seriously.

nowhat

Sony Pictures own only the movie rights to the characters of the Sony Marvel Universe, NOT the characters, only the movie rights.
SIE owns absolutely nothing regarding Marvel's characters and has no benefit of Sony Pictures rights.
Nuh-uh. Sony absolutely owns the rights to Spider-Man in video games. They were previously owned by Activision - when that deal expired, an audible "yoink" could be heard around the world as Sony grabbed them.

Oddspeak

I thought that SOCOM rumor was associated with Guerrilla, especially since a couple key Rainbow Six Siege devs joined them?

Either way, a new SOCOM would be cool. That series fizzled out in an unfortunately anti-climactic manner. Zipper Interactive was apparently making a new FPS IP, too.

SNPlayen

I thought that SOCOM rumor was associated with Guerrilla, especially since a couple key Rainbow Six Siege devs joined them?

Either way, a new SOCOM would be cool. That series fizzled out in an unfortunately anti-climactic manner. Zipper Interactive was apparently making a new FPS IP, too.

One of those Reddit or 4chan “leaks” some pages back had the new San Diego Studio doing it with ex members of Zipper perhaps using Decima. Probably just someone’s fan fiction

DrDamn

I enjoyed UC4 for what it was, Nathan Drake swansong. UC Lost Legacy was fantastic though, much better game. Shows where they could go with the series. It doesn't need Nate, it does need something of a gameplay refresh though.

I think some sort of SOCOM/MAG mash-up gameplay wise tied to KZ IP - or new IP but made by Guerrilla - would be great.

Last edited:

molly14

I enjoyed UC4 for what it was, Nathan Drake swansong. UC Lost Legacy was fantastic though, much better game. Shows where they could go with the series. It doesn't need Nate, it does need something of a gameplay refresh though.

I think some sort of SOCOM/MAG mash-up gameplay wise tied to KZ IP - or new IP but made by Guerrilla - would be great.
Backwards compatible all the way to ps1 with enhanced resolution and framerate?
Sony won't be able to keep up demand in producing enough consoles, such will be the demand for ps5

Love to see original Wipeout and Motor toon grand prix at 4k and 60fps and the original tomb raider.

Last edited:

RaySoft

I keep seeing BC all the way to PS1 popping up everywhere online and I really want to "Dream of the shore bordering another world." Unfortunately I cannot. I hear PS4 BC from everyone that I have talked to (that's actually making games) and either they don't know about the other gen BC or that's a line they won't cross. I do hope its true though.
Chrono Cross

xool

Konami
vs
Capcom
Who's games do you like more?
So if we are playing guess I would say :
  • Sony acquired/collaborating on Konami IP to make a game in house or jointly, probably Silent Hill
  • Capcom making exclusive game for MS, probably DD2, (maybe 1 year exclusive)
[just IP, not company acquisitions]

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Sure, but I don't think you need a generation defining game at launch. it's great when you do, but if it's not ready then don't rush it....as the old Miyamoto quote goes.

I think the hardcore are going to go absolutely NUTS for the Demons Soul remake though. The From Software games have used a dated, garbage engine forever....their games still look last gen. I suspect BluePoint is going to create a game that has visuals in the same category as the Hellblade 2 trailer, arguably better if you like Dark Fantasy with dragons...that's going to excite a LOT of people.

And if the KZ:MP rumor is true, if it is KZ2 quality...with insane visuals and destruction, then watch out. There will be a LOT of excitement.

I know I’d be thrilled. Demon’s Souls was my first or second PlayStation game, and the first rpg i sunk 100 hours+ into. I loved it at the time, but i tried going back to it in 2019...woof, does it feel bad.

So one of the PS5 leaks will turn out to be correct, and with things getting closer, which one is starting to stand out?
The Reddit leak is in the lead for me. The one that had the "time to play" slogan right.
It also had the event location correct for the reveal right. The leak said the 5th of Feb was the date, so it seems they have the month right.
If it does turn out correct it has the PS5 at 10tflops (most likely 40cus @ 2.0 ghz).
The 10tflop number seems to be picking up speed as well.

joe_zazen

I keep saying it but no-ones listnin'. Playstation is better funded than Xbox. More specifically: Sony invests MORE than MS in games (Insomniac aquisition is part of this, and shows the difference between the two companies).

If anyone disagrees, try and prove me wrong. No come on, I'm ready for a heated debate this morning, I wrote 'SONY' on my forehead in permanent marker (I'm off work today).

lets see:
  • MS has a back compat program that doesnt require special hardware (requires heavy investment in software engineering)
  • do not expect AAA teams to make AAA games with only 120 employees like Bend
  • they dont expect their racing studios to survive with only 60 employees (like Evolution)
  • they fund games in more genres
  • consoles are built better
  • more accessories (elite controller + controller for gimps)
  • didn't have to wait until 2019 for name changes
  • did not eliminate e3 conference + fan expos
  • has an arcade racer
  • owns more studios
  • bought 2.5 billion minecraft
  • has a retail presence via microsoft stores
  • gives 1st party games away with low priced sub day one
I think they fund = to or > sony.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom