• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenka Musou

Banned
Konami
vs
Capcom
Who's games do you like more?
200.gif

OsirisBlack

Banned
I keep seeing BC all the way to PS1 popping up everywhere online and I really want to "Dream of the shore bordering another world." Unfortunately I cannot. I hear PS4 BC from everyone that I have talked to (that's actually making games) and either they don't know about the other gen BC or that's a line they won't cross. I do hope its true though.

Pantz

From a couple days back...
In a reply about Xbox timed?-exclusives. It was suggested by Osiris to remove a number.

If that's supposed to be Biohazard 8 then Microsoft has some kind of exclusive deal or timed-exclusive deal with all of Capcom?

So then Sony gets Konami?

Its funny this "leak" of Reedit bc this

Can be related by this

And this
Wait until AI fully infiltrates the internet, and pieces these articles and leaks together, that shit will be scary. I have already seen it do it on Joe Rogan's podcast.

I keep seeing BC all the way to PS1 popping up everywhere online and I really want to "Dream of the shore bordering another world." Unfortunately I cannot. I hear PS4 BC from everyone that I have talked to (that's actually making games) and either they don't know about the other gen BC or that's a line they won't cross. I do hope its true though.

It's happening isn't it. We're getting that remake.

Now about my Capcom question...

“Further, there's been little to no scuttlebutt suggesting the Xbox Series X will be more powerful than the PS5. In other words, the fact that all the chatter from the developer community points to the PS5 being the superior of the two consoles in terms of power is seemingly pretty telling. In fact, it may suggest the difference is pretty clear cut, though that's hard to imagine given that both consoles will likely have very similar innards.”

It's a matter of time that PS5 is confirmed to be more powerful than Xbox SX. Everything points to it.
Other than what came out of e3 there hasnt been developers saying anything at all. And Jason after saying that is now saying they are identical.
It also came out that the developers at that stage didnt even have proper dev kits.
I wouldn't hold much hope with that line.
I think Sony could come anywhere from 9tflops to 12.x tflops. It's pretty obvious XSX is 12.x tflops.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Probably works in a completely different way to the PS4 BC.
Which is probably there on a hardware level.
ie The devkits probably don't have it included.
And why would they?

CJY

Banned
WTF is this?

Cross?

Crono Cross?
Dream of the Shore Near Another World
PS1 Game.

PS1 BC Confirmed?

Soadi

From a couple days back...
In a reply about Xbox timed?-exclusives. It was suggested by Osiris to remove a number.

If that's supposed to be Biohazard 8 then Microsoft has some kind of exclusive deal or timed-exclusive deal with all of Capcom?

So then Sony gets Konami?

Or maybe we were supposed to take the 8 out unveiling "2 weeks later" confirming the exact date of Sony's meeting. Boom.

Pirlosuj

Neo Member
Can I get PS classic digital games?

Fake

Sure, PS5 could easily do it, so could PS4...
PS4 run PS2 games via emulation... this answer start with M of money.

Besides, lets not forget Sony resell PS1 in format of mini console using ARM cpu.
Maybe was just a test for seeing if people are really that kinda interess in PS1 library.
What else besides terrible PS1 replication.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
PS4 run PS2 games via emulation... this answer start with M of money.

Besides, lets not forget Sony resell PS1 in format of mini console using ARM.
Maybe just a test for seeing if people are really that kinda interess in PS1 library.
If they're using PS Classic as a gauge for interest in PS1 games, I fear for PS1 BC on PS5.

I think what's clear is that people don't want crap emulation of PS1 games. 4K Uprezzed, cleaned-up PS1 games though? That's something I'd be interested in.

Fake

If they're using PS Classic as a gauge for interest in PS1 games, I fear for PS1 BC on PS5.

I think what's clear is that people don't want crap emulation of PS1 games. 4K Uprezzed, cleaned-up PS1 games though? That's something I'd be interested in.
Well, Classic was crap trying to replicate the authentic PS1 hardware (see Digital Foundry for reference), so if bad software emulation, PS1 library even if digital sells.
I mean, from today stardarts almost every company want to make money by cheap solutions. Look at the PS1 games the Playstation Store still have. Easy money for noustagic costumers.

I guess Classic was bad because was not a good ideia using ARM CPU for doing software emulation.

PS2 games on PS4 runs just fine by me. Shame they don't add loads of games. Was my only dissapoint for Sony.

Last edited:
Konami
vs
Capcom
Who's games do you like more?

Whichever Sony gets is my answer. :messenger_beaming:

Seriously, though, right now it's Capcom. They are actually still making good games. Now, if Sony were to get Konami, or at least their IPs, I could see Konami rising to a place of glory, again. Give Silent Hill to Kojima. Let Bluepoint make remakes of the first 4 MGS games. I think Sucker Punch could do a good 3D Castlevania after Infamous:FoB. Release their great arcade titles in 4K on the PS Store. Bring Police 911 1&2 to PSVR2.

Don't expect to see PC levels of RT in games, I was told that the RT performance is like the emulated (Slapped ON) solution on the 1080ti and destroys performance.

November

He wont get fired, a lot of shit is being dropped purposely.

Had to check with my other source because its kind of easy to pinpoint who he is. The specs guy is a system and game engine designer that works for a company. He used to regularly post here and was run off.
Why can't you say which console has the slapped on ray tracing?

Last edited:

onQ123

If they are not part of the driver /OS team it's really no reason for them to know about retro BC

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Did I miss that somewhere? Sounds suspect, honestly. You would assume they are using the same implementation.
everything about osiris is suspect lol. last year he said that the ps5 navi gpu was 2.1 ghz, but the IM he sent to the mod said 1.2 ghz. now hes been hinting about some big buyout for weeks but wont tell us exactly what.

but this one could be explained. if his source are indeed developers then its possible that ms devkits were using some kind of pre-RT card and using software RT to get ray tracing to work as they waited for the final devkits with the big navi with hardware ray tracing. remember, ms didnt have final devkits out to developers until x019. while cerny said they were sending out devkits after the first wired article in april.

So real question here. Which would be difference with regards to performance (not tflops but other stuff like pixel fill rate etc) of these two systems
System 1 56cu @1,680ghz = 12tflops
System 2 52cu @1,810ghz = 12tflops.

Would either system actually perform better in any way?

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
5) now end with horizon teaser? nope. that needs to be the launch title. kz, ratchet and demo souls arent going to do anything against halo. you need that one big game that defines that generation. i'd rather they focus on getting horizon 2 out on day 1 then some mp only games with remasters that simply wont set the bar you need to set at launch.

I disagree with this.

If you have Demon's Souls, GT7, and a KZ MP game, you don't need Horizon at launch. I would release Horizon 2 when it's ready. It needs to be a big leap over the first. I enjoyed Horizon 1, but at the end of the day it was a beautiful, but by the numbers game. I'd like to see much more expanded gameplay/traversal/narrative/RPG elements.

If that's ready on Day 1, great. If it releases a year from launch, I'm fine with that too. They need to spread these games out.

quest

Not Banned from OT
He said ps5 has the better RT, so that leaves xsx with the slapped on.

I would be shocked I think it was something missed in transition from programming speak to layman speak. The series x is 99.9% chance using the navi 2.0 RT hybrid method. I say I'm 95% certain Sony uses the same just beefed up. Probably the intersection engine with some other hardware acceleration.

Audiophile

So real question here. Which would be difference with regards to performance (not tflops but other stuff like pixel fill rate etc) of these two systems
System 1 56cu @1,680ghz = 12tflops
System 2 52cu @1,810ghz = 12tflops.

Would either system actually perform better in any way?

I would guess the latter, based on fillrate as you say. As you start veering to the 13-14tf mark though, it's kind of an unknown until we start to see RDNA cards in that ball park, I'm still wondering what to expect in terms of the ROPS / Front-End of RDNA/'RDNA+'/RDNA2...

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I disagree with this.

If you have Demon's Souls, GT7, and a KZ MP game, you don't need Horizon at launch. I would release Horizon 2 when it's ready. It needs to be a big leap over the first. I enjoyed Horizon 1, but at the end of the day it was a beautiful, but by the numbers game. I'd like to see much more expanded gameplay/traversal/narrative/RPG elements.

If that's ready on Day 1, great. If it releases a year from launch, I'm fine with that too. They need to spread these games out.
i dont disagree. i think horizon needs to be a genre defining game whenever it comes out.

i just dont think a racing game, a remake or a multiplayer game is going to have that impact games like Halo Combat Evolved, Super Mario 64 and to a lesser extent zelda botw had. you want that one killer exclusive that shows what next gen can do. you want something that people will talk about for decades to come. i dont see a multiplayer game doing that. demon souls will just be another souls game and the appeal of that series is limited to hardcore gamers.

horizon is pretty much the only game that can be that title for the ps5. something that shows off the cpu, the ssd, and the gpu in ways cross gen xbox titles simply cant. something everyone will strive to match for the remainder of the gen.

quest

Not Banned from OT
i dont disagree. i think horizon needs to be a genre defining game whenever it comes out.

i just dont think a racing game, a remake or a multiplayer game is going to have that impact games like Halo Combat Evolved, Super Mario 64 and to a lesser extent zelda botw had. you want that one killer exclusive that shows what next gen can do. you want something that people will talk about for decades to come. i dont see a multiplayer game doing that. demon souls will just be another souls game and the appeal of that series is limited to hardcore gamers.

horizon is pretty much the only game that can be that title for the ps5. something that shows off the cpu, the ssd, and the gpu in ways cross gen xbox titles simply cant. something everyone will strive to match for the remainder of the gen.
That would be way above anything Sony has put out at any home console launch I can remember. A GT7 I won't get my Hope's up. The good stuff usually takes a year or 2 from Sony then comes in steady doses.

Moneal

ps4 launch was worse. The only notable exclusive was Killzone Shadowfall. If Horizon 2 came early 2021 it would be just like Infamou Second Son, with them calling it launch window.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

Sure, but I don't think you need a generation defining game at launch. it's great when you do, but if it's not ready then don't rush it....as the old Miyamoto quote goes.

I think the hardcore are going to go absolutely NUTS for the Demons Soul remake though. The From Software games have used a dated, garbage engine forever....their games still look last gen. I suspect BluePoint is going to create a game that has visuals in the same category as the Hellblade 2 trailer, arguably better if you like Dark Fantasy with dragons...that's going to excite a LOT of people.

And if the KZ:MP rumor is true, if it is KZ2 quality...with insane visuals and destruction, then watch out. There will be a LOT of excitement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom