• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossco EZ

giphy.gif
maybe those of us that miss the train could get sony to lend us a few Vision S’s :messenger_winking:

Audiophile

If AC: Kingdoms is real, I hope it's in the vein of ACII, Brotherhood & Revelations; the former two at least had such a rich atmosphere thanks to the underpinnings of the game and the great Jesper Kyd soundtrack.

Origins and Odyssey are just open world rpg brawlers with stealth elements, zero personality and artificially inflated grinds due to mtx.

ACII is my favourite game til today, traversing the rooftops in night time Venice or Florence while "Earth", "Ezio's Family", "The Madam", "Home In Florence" & "Dreams Of Venice" play...has yet to be beat in a video game for rich, encompassing atmosphere....

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
bad analogy, because by answering yes to the question PS5 or Xbox one can assume that it is on both.
meanwhile answering yes to the question do you weigh 80kg or 90kg does make no sense because it is impossible to be both.

While your concept may be right, your analysis is wrong. By answering yes to a multiple choice question, it means at least one answer is right, possibly both. In the case of the weight question, yes would make sense if the person weighed either 80 or 90kg.

DJ12

Had to check with my other source because its kind of easy to pinpoint who he is. The specs guy is a system and game engine designer that works for a company. He used to regularly post here and was run off.
The spec's guy, are you refering to the guy in the 4chan comments saying 13.#tfs for the current devkit?

If so, slap my ass and call me Sally

benzy

Had to check with my other source because its kind of easy to pinpoint who he is. The specs guy is a system and game engine designer that works for a company. He used to regularly post here and was run off.

Are you referring to this "specs guy" from that thread?

Anonymous 01/19/20(Sun)16:30:35 No.493206713
Specs:​
CPU: 8core Zen2 16threads 3.2ghz​
GPU: 56 rdna cus @1870mhz (13.4tf)​
RAM: 18gddr6 (3gb for os)​
SSD nvme 1tb​
This thing is ridiculous lol​
Retail might be slighty weaker (12,5 TFs~)​
I expect $599​

Last edited:
2x faster SSD may be more important than a 20% difference in TFlops. The latter is something you can adjust through resolution scaling, but you can't magically make up for a shortcoming in asset streaming/load times.

They're not comparable metrics, which is why it would make the "next gen power victor" crown completely muddy if that were to occur.

Based on credible rumors, the PS5 is more powerful (see: Reiner, Greg, Benji, Klee, Pachter, etc). They are all confirming the same thing. From what we can gather, they are talking strictly about TFlops, but we also have rumors that suggest a strong SSD advantage for Sony.

While the system architecture is the same (Navi, Zen, etc), there are components that could easily differ, and given the same price targets for both consoles one platform holder may prioritize different elements. I don't think we are going to see a universal advantage in every single elements from whoever is the victor unless the price targets are different.

No, that's literally not how technology works, man. Firstly you have to ask yourself what are the realistic speeds for an SSD drive at a price economical enough to include in a games console. These systems will be using QLC NAND drives, which is generally slower than TLC, MLC, or SLC. However, they will also likely be using 3D NAND in those drives, which is generally faster than 2D planar NAND.

After that though you have to figure drive size (very likely will be 1TB) and form-factor (possibly M.2 drives). Some of the SSDs packing 6-8 GB/s are pretty hefty-sized; granted some of that includes cooling and also the controller and DRAM cache (all three of which could be removed depending on just how custom the drives are, but in that case they would be completely custom and likely not using existing Samsung/Gigabyte etc. drives; those guys would probably not be interested in stripping down a current product line just for a custom part in a games console as they'd have to make due with tailoring manufacturing and assembly costs/pipelines for that too), but it's still something to consider.

Whatever differences there are with the SSDs, are not going to lead to massively varying levels of performance. We aren't talking CDs vs. cartridges here like in the PS1/N64 days. Fundamentally these SSDs will be the same medium and same technology; speed differential will come down to allotted PCIe 4.0 lane interconnects provided to the drives. Which we aren't even sure the final number will be, for either system. However I doubt we will see any drives approaching 6 GB/s or 8 GB/s in either system (I had a thorough discussion with another member in this thread (or the Phison SSD memory controller thread, can't recall which) and we basically broke down the practicality (in terms of costs, board real estate, size, TDP etc.) of 6-8 GB/s drives in either system. OTOH, the 40x number quoted for XSX's drive, no one has confirmation on what state system dev was in when the statement was made, or if it was even referring to an internal custom drive or simply the speed connection for a user-optional secondary "cold storage" drive.

For the TFLOPs thing, look I don't want to come off like I don't put any faith into the insiders on this account, but as far as substantiated leaks are concerned the only one that was completely deleted was the Github document with Oberon testing of clocks suggesting PS4 and PS4 Pro back-compat. That document was dated as June of 2019...which isn't THAT long ago, and Komachi has found other documents showing further Oberon and Ariel testing, all of them basically going with the same 36/40CU spec. TF range has ranged from as low as 8 to as high as 10.5 or so on those, all of which are possible depending on how low or high the clocks are set to on the GPU.

Given how quickly that particular Github leak was deleted, plus other database testing showing the same Oberon and Ariel chips, that to me seems like the most credible leak regarding PS5 at the moment. I'm also combining this with certain events and rumors that transpired regarding Sony and PS in 2019 before any leaks were happening, such as sudden SIE and corporate departures, PS headquarters relocation, rumors of a 2019 launch being delayed (supposedly due to PS4 sales; tbf PS4 sales were very very strong in 2019), and more along that ilk.

I'll put it this way: where are the testing database figures for this other possible PS5 that is 12-13TF? Why haven't these leaked yet? Why hasn't there been a single database test for such a chip? At least one such leak would have occurred by now. And keep in mind that the Github leak that was deleted also had Arden (XSX) results in there, which seem to be more or less accurate and relevant to the final design. Planning a system, even completely revising major parts of its design, takes LOTS of time and PLENTY of money. There are people outright thinking the Ariel and Oberon chip tests have no relation to PS5 despite the fact there is evidence of testing modes for clock speeds related exactly to PS4 and PS4 Pro. Unless MS plans to add native emulation for Sony consoles now, which I figure would be illegal.

While I always consider what those who claim to be insiders have to say on the matter, I need hard facts and data to work with here and in regards to PS5 the only consistent data that's popped up for it this late in the game are related to those Ariel and Oberon chips, and we know the performance levels for those through their phases. I take a lot of time to study things in terms of the tech world, and look into real-world factors that can affect the viability of certain things. It's why I was on #Team ReRAM before doing some more research and hopping right off that team when I saw where that tech is *actually* at in terms of potentially being mass-market ready. That's one such example but you see the point.

There's been other things in terms of rumors from other insiders too that just don't add up to me, and I guess I blame this on knowing a bit about how some of this tech stuff works. But, ultimately that isn't particularly important to mention here nor is it anything that sees these guys as any less potentially credible. However I also know that you can't control the authenticity or relevance of your sources, and I do think there's some rumors about with both systems that are either wrong (due to being impractical if you research into them) or may've been correct at some point but don't have a lot of context for them or have since changed and they aren't in the loop with said changes. Happens all the time.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned

SSD nvme 1tb​
I expect $599​

499 with Sony eating a loss. Sony won't go 599 after ps3 situation.

Gediminas

Banned
bad analogy, because by answering yes to the question PS5 or Xbox one can assume that it is on both.
meanwhile answering yes to the question do you weigh 80kg or 90kg does make no sense because it is impossible to be both.
the point is not the question, but the answer. with this answer you get nothing. that is a point. playful and funny answer to that question, because anyways it sound as : don't ask, i don't tell. he is not confirming nor denying. for that matter, it could be switch game.

Last edited:

Banned
2x faster SSD may be more important than a 20% difference in TFlops. The latter is something you can adjust through resolution scaling, but you can't magically make up for a shortcoming in asset streaming/load times.

well that is entirely dependent on how fast these are.
if the PS5 SSD loads 2x as fast and the average load time of a game is 1 second on PS5... that would mean it would load in 2 seconds on Series X... I bet no one would give half a shit bout a 1 second load time increase.
and even it it was 2.5sec vs 5sec no one would give a shit.

Gediminas

Banned
Not really. It can be on both consoles, so 1 and 1 = true. With the weight scenario it can only be one, 0 and 1 = false.
not really, his question it is on PS5 OR xbox? yes. it's mean, it is just on PS5 or xbox. if you ask him it is on PS5 AND xbox and if he says yes, then it is on both. if you take for the face value.

but that not what he meant.

Last edited:

DJ12

well that is entirely dependent on how fast these are.
if the PS5 SSD loads 2x as fast and the average load time of a game is 1 second on PS5... that would mean it would load in 2 seconds on Series X... I bet no one would give half a shit bout a 1 second load time increase.
and even it it was 2.5sec vs 5sec no one would give a shit.
What if the average load time on PS5 is 1 second because the game has been layed out as such to load instantly, and this won't happen on xbox as it's not as quite they haven't bothered with it.

I have all my games stored on a samsung NVME drive with over 3gbs reads, my games do not load in 2 seconds.

Instant loading is not something that's just going to happen.

Last edited:

Banned
What if the average load time on PS5 is 1 second because the game has been layed out as such to load instantly, and this won't happen on xbox as it's not as quite they haven't bothered with it.

I have all my games stored on a samsung NVME drive with over 3gbs reads, my games do not load in 2 seconds.

Instant loading is not something that's just going to happen.

first of all you can't compare PC SSD load times with potential console SSD load times where the consoles and games are designed to only use SSDs.

and secondly, I was just using an extreme example to showcase that even a 2x increase in SSD load times could be a very forgettable difference depending on how fast the slower one is.

Shin

Banned

SSD nvme 1tb​
I expect $599​

Memory speed on the GPU isn't crazy, neither is the 3GB for the OS.
Linux/FreeBSD's footprint is a lot smaller than the layered GameCore/Windows10 OS Xbox is using.
CPU clock speed is nothing special either, if anything it's the base model without any OC done to it.

It's good to revisit 7nm gains (not to mention it's unknown, at least to me whether either company will make use of EUV or not):
TSMC (which is relevant):

Compared to its 10nm FinFET process, TSMC's 7nm FinFET features 1.6X logic density, ~20% speed improvement, and ~40% power reduction. TSMC set another industry record by launching two separate 7nm FinFET tracks: one optimized for mobile applications, the other for high performance computing applications.

Last edited:

Disco_

Memory speed on the GPU isn't crazy, neither is the 3GB for the OS.
Linux/FreeBSD's footprint is a lot smaller than the layered GameCore/Windows10 OS Xbox is using.
CPU clock speed is nothing special either, if anything it's the base model without any OC done to it.

Unless I'm not seeing it, there's no mention of gpu memory or memory speed anywhere. They list gpu core clock and amount of memory. No mention of bandwidth or bus width to say which mem chips they're using.

Last edited:

Fake

If Microsoft does what go higher? Microsoft went higher and weaker this gen and Sony still kept their pricing. Good pricing is an advantage of course and Sony won't go above 499 imo thyll be looking to undercut
What you're saying is after the PS3 fiasco, Sony can't charge PS5 for $599, but maybe Microsoft could charge take into consideration many insiders saying will be an expensive product.
Sorry, but don't much make sense for. Different times. In a world of Apple vs Samsung, those price targets don't make much difference for me.

Last edited:

Fake

Imagine if you will, Series X slightly less powerful and $100 more, Series S, much less powerful and $100 less.

Surely both xbox's are DOA.

MS will match PS5 price with the series X or they may as well not bother.
seX will be expensive for sure just by the existence of Lockhart almost give that hint. Dunno about PS5, but both looks like a premium console for me.

IMO this is the main reason of Lockhart to exist.

Last edited:

Disco_

seX will be expensive for sure just by the existence of Lockhart almost give that hint. Dunno about PS5, but both looks like a premium console for me.

Lockhart exists but it doesn't mean it'll release. If ps5 is $100 less than xsx, I can see MS not releasing lockhart. What chance does a ~~4tf, $300 console have against a $400 ps5?

Fake

Lockhart exists but it doesn't mean it'll release. If ps5 is $100 less than xsx, I can see MS not releasing lockhart. What chance does a ~~4tf, $300 console have against a $400 ps5?
Many insiders from different locations have been saying about the mininal hardware differencial bettween seX and PS5 configuration... if we take that into consideration I can't see a $100 less/more between those two.
And how do you know Lockhart is a 4TF machine?

Last edited:

luca_29_bg

OsirisBlack said:
Don't expect to see PC levels of RT in games, I was told that the RT performance is like the emulated (Slapped ON) solution on the 1080ti and destroys performance.

But you said that one raytracing solution of the two is better that the other, so it's better than the "emulated" version ?

Last edited:

Defect

MS is killing it .... literally. This is the most excited I have been for a MS console ever and I have owned them all but if half of this shit is shown, MS E3 is going to be hard to beat.

everyone is worried about specs and I am telling you this will be the best games arms race since Nintendo vs Sega. I cannot fucking wait. And with that I'm off to work.

Please tell me that’s a hint at Killer Instinct getting a sequel.

Gamernyc78

Banned
What you're saying is after the PS3 fiasco, Sony can't charge PS5 for $599, but maybe Microsoft could charge take into consideration many insiders saying will be an expensive product.
Sorry, but don't much make sense for. Different times. In a world of Apple vs Samsung, those price targets don't make much difference for me.

Times are changing hence ps5 being 499 and not sticking to 399 price point. With tht logic games wouldn't be 60 dollars all these years. Companies know certain prices disuade customers, phones are mostly subsidized phones so the phone analogies don't work well.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Anyone smart enough knows that consoles will not have RT comparable to PCs. I mean, Ampere is coming and that will surely blow the PS5 and the XSX out of the water on RT.

I expect RT to be mostly and used smartly/better especially in first party titles on both machines.

Mass Shift

Spencer has already said the Series X won't be out of position on price. So I take that to mean they will price it competitively. Likely to be no higher than $499.

Lockhart is their entry level. Probably $299.

Fake

Times are changing hence ps5 being 499 and not sticking to 399 price point. With tht logic games wouldn't be 60 dollars all these years. Companies know certain prices disuade customers, phones are mostly subsidized phones so the phone analogies don't work well.
You're forgetting the reason of PS5 getting BC with PS4. PS4 will not disapear by the day `PS5 release. The transition between those two will be more smoth than PS3 to PS4 because of the similarities with hardware architecture.

Again, I not saying will be higher than $599, just saying to folks for not put that possibility off the table. $499 or higher is the bet.

Spencer has already said the Series X won't be out of position on price. So I take that to mean they will price it competitively. Likely to be no higher than $499.

Lockhart is their entry level. Probably $299.
Spencer said to you the price of seX? What is the current price of Xbox One X?

Even better, what was the price of PS4 and Xbox One at launch?

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Was this posted?

According to former IGN journalist and current PlayStation expert Colin Moriarty, the PS5 dev kit is "very powerful," or so he's heard from developers. And if the PS5 dev kit is very powerful, well that means the consumer version is also very powerful.

Chromata

499 with Sony eating a loss. Sony won't go 599 after ps3 situation.

PS3 came out during a recession, PS5 is not. That was a big factor, alongside their arrogant attitude. Not to mention the quality PS3 exclusives took a while to really get going.

If PS5 has 12tf, ray tracing, 1tb SSD, a controller with expanded haptic feedback & potential voice assistant & back buttons, more RAM, and a dramatically improved CPU, then I don't see how $499 is possible (even at a loss). PS4 Pro had way less at $450.

I think they can pull off $599 if they present it right and have a compelling lineup of exclusives at least in the launch window.

It'll be easier for Microsoft with their Xbox monthly payment program.

Last edited:
Was this posted?

“Further, there's been little to no scuttlebutt suggesting the Xbox Series X will be more powerful than the PS5. In other words, the fact that all the chatter from the developer community points to the PS5 being the superior of the two consoles in terms of power is seemingly pretty telling. In fact, it may suggest the difference is pretty clear cut, though that's hard to imagine given that both consoles will likely have very similar innards.”

It's a matter of time that PS5 is confirmed to be more powerful than Xbox SX. Everything points to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom