• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossco EZ

i really want a good leak about the PS5 now but at the same time i feel like sony has something cooking that’s worth the wait, even though most of us crave info on gpu TF recently i’ve been more interested in what the new cpu and ssd will do in these consoles.

i’ve been trying to find more info on the apparent space game that naughty dog has been working on, does anyone have any links or info on that?

Last edited:

Fake

Looks only slightly different than the PS4 interface. If it looks like this I'll be fine with it.
Just a devkit UI. And even with the new design I don't expect huge change take into consideration how popular the PS4 UI is popular.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
i really want a good leak about the PS5 now but at the same time i feel like sony has something cooking that’s worth the wait, even though most of us crave info on gpu TF recently i’ve been more interested in what the new cpu and ssd will do in these consoles.

The silicon’s been made, aside from small changes here and there the system is finished at this point. If not, that’s a huge risk to take sending it to mass production with such little time for QA if they want it ready for November.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
A new Killzone MP focused game at launch would be pretty amazing. I still remember having a blast with GAF back when Killzone 2 released. Sadly, the other titles didn't have that same impact.

But imagine the first MP FPS shooter developed from the ground up for Next-Gen systems in the vein of Killzone 2. I'd be pretty excited about that.

Especially if it’s just as “weighty” and that trademark “ding” returns with kills. Add 60fps with a low tick rate, I’m in!

Last edited:

Rossco EZ

The silicon’s been made, aside from small changes here and there the system is finished at this point. If not, that’s a huge risk to take sending it to mass production with such little time for QA if they want it ready for November.
did you mean to quote someone else?

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
giphy.gif
Well ratchet and clank is my favorite series ever and they have a couple exciting MP things too plus they didn't have a real GT on PS4 since for some reason they decided to bring 6 out on PS3

So yeah that would be a big lineup IMO as GT is a huge franchise and I don't think they've ever had one at launch

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member

i’ve been trying to find more info on the apparent space game that naughty dog has been working on, does anyone have any links or info on that?
I like how they've handled this. They know they have a beast system sales wise in PS4 so they're the big player and they're keeping people in anticipation. Now they have to deliver but making people want it is better than making them go "now we gotta wait a long time"

It's going to be interesting how this all plays out. We continue to hear about how much better the SSD is in the PS5.

If it's a matter of PS5 being 15-20% weaker on the GPU (say 10TF vs 12TF), but has an SSD that's over 100% faster...which is the more powerful console?

The SSD will surely play into things like load times, but also streaming of texture assets too. XSX could be higher resolution, but have more pop-in, weaker texture diversity, etc...

The Digital Foundry wars won't be so cut and dry.

I can tell you right now that a 2x faster SSD does not make up for a 2TF performance differential. For starters, the two are not even comparable metrics, so that's where the comparison should end.

Whatever advantages each system has, you will see games that utilize them. If not at launch, then eventually. Just keep in mind that these systems aren't going to be wildly different from each other like we saw in the past with SNES/MegaDrive, PS1/Saturn/N64, PS2/Xbox/GC or PS3/360 even. Hell, they likely won't even be as different as the XBO and PS4 were at launch.

Those days are dead, so if one system has a noticeable lead, it's probably going to be a uniform lead in most of the usual areas. Right now just based on what it seems like are pretty credible rumors, XSX has a TF, CPU speed and bandwidth advantage. PS5 has a SSD and possibly RT advantage. Feel pretty comfortable going with that up until Sony actually reveals what they have.

And unfortunately, I've had enough time to weight other options like ReRAM, HBM2, dual GPU, 3D-Xpoint/PCM etc. to see why those things very likely aren't in the cards for either system.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Launch: Demons Souls, Killzone MP, GT7, TLOU2: Factions

Early 2021: Ratchet and Clank

Late 2021: Horizon 2

TBD: Uncharted

That's a really damn strong launch as long as those titles deliver IMHO. You got a strong SP game (Demons Souls), a strong MP game (Killzone), and a Racing Series off the heels of GTS

Would be way better than PS4's launch.

Rossco EZ

I like how they've handled this. They know they have a beast system sales wise in PS4 so they're the big player and they're keeping people in anticipation. Now they have to deliver but making people want it is better than making them go "now we gotta wait a long time"
yup, i’m really looking forward to the event and seeing some
gameplay trailers it’s gonna be a great gen with these machines :messenger_fire:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Launch: Demons Souls, Killzone MP, GT7, TLOU2: Factions

Early 2021: Ratchet and Clank

Late 2021: Horizon 2

TBD: Uncharted

That's a really damn strong launch as long as those titles deliver IMHO. You got a strong SP game (Demons Souls), a strong MP game (Killzone), and a Racing Series off the heels of GTS

Would be way better than PS4's launch.

Bro Demon Souls alone would be over a hundred hours of playtime for me. No cap. Killzone mp and I'm in heaven and GT for tht graphical goodness. Tlou factions was dope BTW and was one of my sleeper hit mp games of the gen.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I can tell you right now that a 2x faster SSD does not make up for a 2TF performance differential. For starters, the two are not even comparable metrics, so that's where the comparison should end.

Whatever advantages each system has, you will see games that utilize them. If not at launch, then eventually. Just keep in mind that these systems aren't going to be wildly different from each other like we saw in the past with SNES/MegaDrive, PS1/Saturn/N64, PS2/Xbox/GC or PS3/360 even. Hell, they likely won't even be as different as the XBO and PS4 were at launch.

Those days are dead, so if one system has a noticeable lead, it's probably going to be a uniform lead in most of the usual areas. Right now just based on what it seems like are pretty credible rumors, XSX has a TF, CPU speed and bandwidth advantage. PS5 has a SSD and possibly RT advantage. Feel pretty comfortable going with that up until Sony actually reveals what they have.

And unfortunately, I've had enough time to weight other options like ReRAM, HBM2, dual GPU, 3D-Xpoint/PCM etc. to see why those things very likely aren't in the cards for either system.

2x faster SSD may be more important than a 20% difference in TFlops. The latter is something you can adjust through resolution scaling, but you can't magically make up for a shortcoming in asset streaming/load times.

They're not comparable metrics, which is why it would make the "next gen power victor" crown completely muddy if that were to occur.

Based on credible rumors, the PS5 is more powerful (see: Reiner, Greg, Benji, Klee, Pachter, etc). They are all confirming the same thing. From what we can gather, they are talking strictly about TFlops, but we also have rumors that suggest a strong SSD advantage for Sony.

While the system architecture is the same (Navi, Zen, etc), there are components that could easily differ, and given the same price targets for both consoles one platform holder may prioritize different elements. I don't think we are going to see a universal advantage in every single elements from whoever is the victor unless the price targets are different.

Last edited:

Audiophile

I think a more interesting question is what would you want?

1. Kate Beckinsale one night stand and 8TF PS5

2. Jerking yourself off and 12TF PS5

Make it more than a one night stand and I'd take a 1TF PS5.

Forget her when we have this 😂

I'd take flu-ridden Kate Beckinsale in a spaghetti stained white t shirt and no makeup over that vacuous bullshit.

Last edited:

Fenris Wolf

Deleted Reddit post from this morning. Reposting for the ones who haven’t see it.

“The event:

-The event will be held at the Sony hall theatre on the 12th of February. Expect a short teaser to come out in the next two weeks.

-The press already knows about it and they will be able to test games and write articles. There will be a lot of news and iterviews with key figures like Mark Cerny and Hermen Hulst.

-The event will be presented by Geoff Keighley and it will be a very big show. After all you have to consider that Sony has been quiet for quite sometime now.

-Sony's strategy has been that not to reveal everything in one shot. Things like price, launch date and shape of the console will still be unknown after the PS meeting.

Specs:

-CPU: 8 core/16 threads at 3.6 ghz based on a Zen 2 architecture

-GPU: "Big Navi"/RDNA1 based with some features from RDNA2 like RT and VRS, 12.2 TF at 1.8 ghz

-Memory: 18GB DDR6 at 576gb/s and 4gb of DDR4 for the OS (Sorry HBM believers)

-1 TB SSD. The SSD is a proprietary solution similar to a cartridge and you will be able to purchase them separately in a way similar to an old memory card from the PS2 era(1tb, 2tb and 3 tb variants). It is very fast: 5gb/s

-It has a separate RT core just for the audio, this is something that Cerny and the audio people at Sony (Audiokinetic) insisted on. A new headphones will be made from Sony, specifically designed for the ray traced audio in PS5 games.

-Overall, the PS5 is a much more balanced machine than the PS4 pro. This is much more important than just brute force as devs will be able squeeze much much more from the hardware.

Games:

-First game announced for the PS5 will be from Bluepoint, Demon's Souls.

The trailer will start with a dragon flying through the ruins of an ancient city before landing on a bridge destroying part of it, the camera will then move to a character in a knight armor. The dragon will spit fire at the knight that will be parrying it with his shield.

The trailer ends with a voice saying "The old one is calling for thee" revealing the Demon's souls logo, available at launch.

Very impressive tech on showcase:, RT reflection all over the knight's armor

-Ubisoft will announce their new AC title, Assasin's Creed: Kingdom. As you already know it is set in northern europe with historical and mythological elements. The trailer is not really a trailer but a long gameplay (10+ mins).

The game focuses on being a better RPG than its predecessors with multiple endings and more meaningful choices for better roleplay. Immersion is also a big focus, Ubisoft has created a believable world based on the kingdom of Ragnar Sigurdsson (better known as Lothbrok) as king of Denmark.

NPCs have realistic routines and behaviours based on multiple situations they can be found in (finding shelter from the rain, fleeing their village after a raid from enemy soldiers are some examples).

All animations have been enhanced. Now the main character (male or female like in Odyssey) moves differently based on the enviroments they are in. Animations are really similar to something you can find in a ND game with the character touching the wall at their side if they get to close it or struggling to walk through snow or mud.

As many other games, AC:Kingdom will use the haptic triggers to simulate the action of pulling the rope of a bow or swinging an heavy weapon.

There are levels, but they are handled like in Skyrim or Kingdom come where you don't require a certain level to enter an area or fight a boss. Here you can access the whole world from the start and fight all the enemies, of course it will be very hard because your character will be very unexperienced and at first they will handle certain weapons with struggle, it will get better the more they use them.

I got mentioned something about ray tracing being used to eliminate clipping of the various clothes on the character's bodies, but I don't know anything other than it may be a thing on the next gen versions of the game.

Available at launch, but after the current gen versions.

-Gran Turismo 7 will be announced featuring full VR and RT support, native 4k and 60 fps. It will be a technical showcase for the console. Available at launch.

It features a single player carreer like the old GT games and a multiplayer mode similar to the sport mode in GT sport. The partnership with the FIA continues and the one with Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes becomes even stronger (Lewis and the Mercedes brand are on the cover of the game and a big part of the single player carreer).

-New R&C game announced from Insomniac. Full RT support and sequel to the remake, but part of a new trilogy. Semi-open world with pilotable ships. It looks even more like a Pixar movie, this time on a way bigger scale. Available in 2021

-Capcom will show a demo of their updated RE engine and announce Dragon's Dogma 2 exclusively on the PS5. Deep Down was not all to waste and Capcom wisely decided to build upon it and create this new DD. It's a really impressive game technically. Full open world with fights and monsters similar to a Monster Hunter game. It will run at 60 fps on PS5.

It's unclear if the exclusivity deal has a limit or not. I'm willing to bet it will come out on Xbox Series X/S after a while

-Shuhei Yoshida will showcase lots of indies coming to PS4 and PS5 as part of the new "PS❤Indies" intiative at SIE. Games such as: Sky:children of the light, Inaka project, a new game from Jonathan Blow, Lost Soul aside and the new game from Ken Levine studio (not really an indie, but it will still be present in this short segment).

-TLOU: Factions will be revealed, coming to PS4, PS5 and PC these holidays. It is a multiplayer only title made to replace the "Factions" mode of the original TLOU. It features an open world similar to games like DayZ, but with the love and care that you can expect expect from a team like ND.

It will feature: different seasons like Forza Horizon 4 (each will come with its pros and cons), clan support, a battle pass, a fully destructible map, lots of depth for roleplay (players will be able to cover various roles in their games: doctors, bounty hunters, traders, mercenaries for the various groups of players, soldiers ecc.), the players will be able to build camps and even "addomesticate" clickers and runners. 4k/60 with RT audio on PS5 and 1080 30 on PS4/pro. Cross play is being experimented (the difference in framerate may be an issue).

-Sony reveals a new team based in San Diego and their new game, Uncharted. A sequel to U4, but with different characters and a few cameos from the old games. Just a teaser will be shown featuring exotic locations from all around the world and glimpses at veichles both aerial and terrestrial. No release date given.

-Activision announces Crash Bandicoot:worlds on PS4 and PS5 for then end of the year (think Mario galaxy, but with Crash Bandiccot) and confirms that COD will be back at the end of the year on PS5 and in partnership with PS once again.

-Square Enix shows an impressive tech demo of a new version of the luminous engine featuring RT shadows, reflections and lighting along with 4k textures and realistic facial animations. Very reminiscent of the aestethic you can find in a FF game, but no real announcement is made (for now).

-Guerilla announces Killzone: Breach. A mp only title for PS5 and PC. The influence from games like R6 can be seen a lot during the trailer. Full destructible enviroment and a "War" mode that features up to 80 players in a fully destructible arena (Remember that first Crackdown 3 demo?). Available at launch.

-Mark Cerny announces full backwards compatibility with PS4/3/2/1/VR and that PS Vita and PSP are in the works. The PS4/2/1 whole lineup will be fully compatible from launch. As for PS3 games, they will be made compatible regularly by Sony in a way similar to how Xbox already does it on Xbox One with 360 games. All the games will receive technical enhancments like 4k resolution, better AA and 60 fps. Demos for TLOU 2, RDR1, Jak 2 and the original GT are shown briefly.

-Last announcement will be a small teaser with in-game graphics of Horizon 2. The teaser shows an older Aloy meditating on the top of a Mountain before being attacked by a huge machine and hijacking a thunderbird in order to ride it and fly around the huge machine to fight it. 2021

-Please note that all games that I've listed are exclusive to the PS5 unless I've said otherwise.

-Don't expect any PSVR2 news. VR will be mentioned as you can see, but it is still a bit early for PSVR2.”

IMO This is one of those leaks with a 50-50 chance of being total bullshit or being 100% correct
A lot of stuff in there sounds kinda right, Specially if you take a look at sony's recent strategies, News etc. And on the same note, these stuff sound like utter bullshit and feels as if it's a happy wishlist.
Who knows, We're not that far from feb 12th. We'll get to see if this was right or not.

Gediminas

Banned
Did it ever occur to you, for example, that this game described by Osiris will not be released at the launch of new consoles?
Did it ever occur to you that Sony might have more than one event a year dedicated to Ps5?
Sometimes people amaze me)
osiris even said, that was vertical slice of the game. it sounds like pretty "young" game. so it would take a while.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Can you get some clarification on the RT like in 1080Ti?
Don't expect to see PC levels of RT in games, I was told that the RT performance is like the emulated (Slapped ON) solution on the 1080ti and destroys performance.

When you heard this last spec? This month? December?

November

Someones getting fired if this is legit, you can make out the logged in user under the firmware version.

Mv nan345

(there might be an i between the v and n also)

He wont get fired, a lot of shit is being dropped purposely.

Had to check with my other source because its kind of easy to pinpoint who he is. The specs guy is a system and game engine designer that works for a company. He used to regularly post here and was run off.

Banned
it is on PS5 or xbox?
yes.

sounds like:
how much do you weight, 80kg or 90kg?
yes.

what is your name, i don't remember, Gary or Harry?
yes.

bad analogy, because by answering yes to the question PS5 or Xbox one can assume that it is on both.
meanwhile answering yes to the question do you weigh 80kg or 90kg does make no sense because it is impossible to be both.

Disco_

ND and SMS(Barlog) are both working on space games at the same time?

CJY

Banned
You're joking right? He's basically saying that it will work like the save state in the 16-bit emulators. You load your game the next day and resume on the exact split-second you pressed 'save state'. Basically crazy save scumming times.

And yeah, I get that there are many games that basically save on the spot the second you save or quit the game, but there are also many that don't.
Not joking, but I'm also not seeing the significance either. Resume effectively does the same thing as a save state. That is, dumping the RAM state into storage and restoring it on-demand. Sorry, not seeing how it's different than what we have already, except for the fact that you could turn off your console and still resume, or save the state of multiple games. Xbox has already announced this feature, and it seems like a tiny stretch to expose the same functionality on PS5. It's just an expansion of what is there already.

I don't know if the "leak" is really talking about PS5 offering save states like we see in emulators. I don't see how something like that is feasible in today's world with the amount of online games and persistent online worlds. Save states [as found in emulators] are very open to abuse and I don't see that happening in consoles any time soon, if ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom