• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZywyPL

Banned
Just a question shouldn't we have a |OT2| by now?

over 1000 pages?

with updated op?

The thing is, over the last 700-800 pages or so there's really nothing to be updated, all those pages are either fanboys/nerds wet dreams or the so-called insiders leaks, that seem to change every single week. Or the usual console wars. Or PC Mustard Race that tries to overcome their insecurities. But at the end of the day, there have been a total of what, 5-6 actually new/confirmed information so far? That Wired PS5 reveal, WGA XBX case reveal, and literally just a few interviews with Cerny, Spencer or the developers here and there. That's really all. After E3 2019 sice Project Scarlet was announced, nothing has moves on from the end-consumer point of view, we are still yet to be fed with all the information regarding the upcoming next-gen consoles.

Soadi

If this was a PS5 launch line up 🥵🥵🥵
o23AyDG.jpg
Don't you even dare.

LED Guy?

Banned
Guys, chill. There's nothing to be talked about. It's not like Osiris or Heisenberg can go out telling people everything they know via pms. We've had some friendly chats, that's all. :)
Hey Insane Metal, I remember you had this profile picture of a distorted Donkey Kong face, I really hope you use it again, it was so funny.
3nKjc64.jpg

IkarugaDE

OG PS3 is still the best looking console of all time IMO. It gives off this futuristic powerhouse vibe that I hope the PS5 will replicate too. The leaked V design could definitely do for me.
PS1 DevKit was a tower PC, PS3 and PS4 DK a smaller rack Workstation. Only the PS2 DevKit looked completely different and was near to the original console. "Funny" the PS5 dk also looks so different.😁

Bo_Hazem

Banned
All current tech is "dying" and will most likely be replaced with a form of microLED in a few years. If you're buying now it's best to do the same thing as always, which is to do your research and buy the best you can within your budget that fits your needs. One of those factors in your decision is how much light is entering the room your tv is in. Both rooms I have an OLED in are light controlled, so brightness was never an issue. I've actually lowered the brightness for SDR content to reduce eye strain. If you're putting a TV outside or if you have large windows and sunlight hits your TV then you may need to go for a 2k nit LED (although I'd advise investing in some black out curtains or something). BTW OLED is actually hitting closer to 800 nits now (Even my aging C7 hits over 700 peak in certain scenes). While it's a far cry away from the 2,4 and 10k nits that more and more content will continue to be mastered in, it's the nearly 180 deg viewing angle, perfect blacks, and lack of light bleed/bloom that swayed me to purchasing mine a few years ago. I hate watching the rest of the TV's in my house now because of it.

In terms of picture quality, OLED makes things look 3D. It's that good. Problem is they tend to degrade overtime. If you are the kind that works on PC [Yes, I use my PC on my TV] for more than 8-10 hours then you should avoid OLED's.

MicroLED is scheduled for PS5 Pro in my plans :) It's LCD. OLED's will get ditched, even Sony has dropped their OLED reference monitor to an LCD with double layer that rivals OLED's, but lacks wide angle. You simply can't take everything, only possible with microLED in 2023-2024.

Even in a controlled or even dark room, HDR performance is a problem. You may look into it, otherwise LG C9/CX are the dream TV's. People thought LCD's will get dethroned by OLED's, but OLED's seem dying immaturely. Samsung's QLED's are so overpriced, was about to get an 8K 65" Q900R a week ago but went to read more about it and seems not supporting Dolby Vision which is already supported in XOX.

It's hazy market, one needs to read a lot before paying insane amount of money. Best bet would be next Black Friday.

Disco_

the lead graphics engine designer laughs at me for stopping every 30 seconds to just rotate the camera and look at the sights and listen to the sounds of their game world. "Everything in the game is PBR with multiple sources of volumetric lighting. All of the characters in this game are unique. You will never see the same character model more than once." As I am playing I realize how difficult this game is. I play several games competitively multiple genres (Smite,R6,SFV,CoD,BF,League) but I am getting my ass handed to me. I take the lead character out into a hallway and two enemies rush into the room shooting and moving in what appears to be a tactical pattern. "Is this fucking guy shooting at me while the other guy is trying to circle around to flank me?" he laughs again. "Yep, suppressive fire." As the enemy shoots at me I take note of the deformation of the geometry on display, chunks of cement give way revealing the metal pipes underneath that hold the structure together. Everything is based in reality including what happens when you shoot people or get shot. Its beautiful but it aint pretty.

I sit the controller down (I'm about to die again anyways) "The game is definitely running at 60fps" he shakes his head at me "No its running at 90fps locked. native 4k." dumb stare "On which machine?" he smiles "Both of them."

Two hours and several drinks later

When I asked about the performance of both consoles his response was "Both have the same target we will see if either of them hit that target. " I pushed further and asked what the target was and his response was simply."Above 12" That is not for the XseX or the PS5,from what I can gather internally both machines are targeting very high performance which lines up with hearing earlier that the machines would both be $499 with both companies Taking a loss.

Notes
The gdk they are working with is not the final kit for either machine and XseX is currently ahead in terms of sheer power. Sonys tool set is much more complete and refined.
The trailer is all actual game play. Not in engine but game play.
Every developer or engineer I have ever met day drinks.

Was this a vertical slice or is the game really that far into development?(as 90fps running smoothly would suggest) Unless of course goal is even higher fps?

LED Guy?

Banned
Oh man, It's turning ugly for the 9.2 TF GitHub leak team, both consoles will be over 12 Navi TFs, this is so exciting, you guys are not realizing how powerful these consoles are, It is unbelievable to see consoles having these specs.

I guess Xbox fanboys like Colteastwood and Colbert hopes of Xbox Series X being way stronger than PlayStation 5 are DEAD!!

I remember this huge bullshit that Colteastwood made about the PS5's GPU VS XSX GPU 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edit: A better picture that you can see the numbers clearer.

nTLQsoW.png

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
GIthubs are very likely real. We just can't be sure as to how they should be applied as far as how old and certain platform specifics being tested in those samples.

But I don't think they were made up.

Bro we already know this. You talking to ppl just like yourself tht frecuent this site daily. It was never about whether they were real or not but ppl being trolls, fanboys and trying to act like affirmitively thts the specs the psv would end up being even after insiders like Matt said tht github was not representative of psv now. Even after ppl pointed out RT wasn't even included in tht leak. I'm also including funny as digital foundry who claim to be authority figures in shit then take gossip and rumor as fact and latch onto it.

Don't play ignorant you know what github warriors I'm talking about. Theyll eat 🌭🌭🌭for being trolls, know it all, tht don't know shit and try hard Schills.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Oh man, It's turning ugly for the 9.2 TF GitHub leak team, both consoles will be over 12 Navi TFs, this is so exciting, you guys are not realizing how powerful these consoles are, It is unbelievable to see consoles having these specs.

I guess Xbox fanboys like Colteastwood and Colbert hopes of Xbox Series X being way stronger than PlayStation 5 are DEAD!!

I remember this huge bullshit that Colteastwood made about the PS5's GPU VS XSX GPU 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
GC5prO5.png

We are not even looking at the bigger picture, some of the 9-10 numbers for both consoles are coming from PC Inferior Race :messenger_winking_tongue:

28gb34.jpg

GC5prO5.png

I'm not #TeamGithub but I'm also not 100% #TeamTFTwins at the moment, either. Still waiting on more corroborating evidence in relation to Oberon to solidify the latter.

Until then I'm mostly sitting somewhere in the middle on PS5 (10.35 - 11.04), and even the upper range of that need more corroborating proof to surface for me to solidify my position on it definitively.

I just hope everyone is ready to accept wherever PS5 and XSX land spec-wise at the end of the day, will give more attention to the really important part for both: games.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'm not #TeamGithub but I'm also not 100% #TeamTFTwins at the moment, either. Still waiting on more corroborating evidence in relation to Oberon to solidify the latter.

Until then I'm mostly sitting somewhere in the middle on PS5 (10.35 - 11.04), and even the upper range of that need more corroborating proof to surface for me to solidify my position on it definitively.

I just hope everyone is ready to accept wherever PS5 and XSX land spec-wise at the end of the day, will give more attention to the really important part for both: games.

Sorry, mate, 4K@90fps here

go-away-i-dont-wanna-wake-up

GC5prO5.png
imagine how much the xbox youtubers and xbox discord members have to walk back all that 9.2 tf campaign lol

ethomaz

Banned

GC5prO5.png
If that pic was remotely true then MS should be scared right now because the price of a console with a 251mm2 APU vs 350mm2 APU is market changer.

M-V2

GC5prO5.png

Let's be honest OsirisBlack OsirisBlack said that he was told that both companies target ABOVE 12Tf, then a guy said he thinks that both will be around 10-11tf then both OsirisBlack OsirisBlack & HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 reacted with "Lit" emoji or whatever.

Now the question is what the fuck is going on?? Is it 12 or 10tf?? This shit is more confusing than Drake's songs. Bruh

Mass Shift

I've already accepted that no one is going to be fully satisfied with the eventual reveals. Lol

The arguments will continue.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Let's be honest OsirisBlack OsirisBlack said that he was told that both companies target ABOVE 12Tf, then a guy said he thinks that both will be around 10-11tf then both OsirisBlack OsirisBlack & HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 reacted with "Lit" emoji or whatever.

Now the question is what the fuck is going on?? Is it 12 or 10tf?? This shit is more confusing than Drake's songs. Bruh

The guy who said 10-11 is most likely a PC gamer in denial.

Banned
The guy who said 10-11 is most likely a PC gamer in denial.

no that's just a way more reasonable number when we think about this current generation.
if the new consoles actually are above 12TF we will have consoles that rival high end PCs... and last gen systems didn't even rival 2 year old mid range PCs... literally... the PS4's GPU was a slightly pimped up version of a then already almost 2 year old mid range AMD card. (the same year as that card released AMD already had a 4TF PC card out... and that wasn't even their highest end model)

so I actually think most people, in order to avoid being disappointed, just expect the new generation to be similar to the current one... low specs, at a relatively low pricepoint

I still don't really expect more than 9-10TF, if the 12+TF are real I will be happy and all is dandy, but if they will be between 9 and 10 I get what I expected, which is a bit disappointing but 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom