• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

GermanZepp

a GTX 1070 is my guess... but that would be 1080p at low settings in many games I bet.
but that's speaking deeper into the generation, at first most games will run fine on a 1070 or a 1660

I was expecting a 1070/1080 performance, 16gb ram (plus some more for the os) and 8 to 10 tf gpu since 2017, you know, for avoid getting disapponited. Im so glad that these machines are goimg to be stronger.

B_Boss

My gang is waiting for the V.
lc91vR7.jpg

Whoa what the hell console is that ok the left with that *beautiful* and most legendary game inserted???

ManaByte

Gold Member
There have been all kinds of crazy rumors flying around about Microsoft buying a Japanese studio. People thought Platinum, Konami, Capcom, etc.

But what if it's Sega-Sammy?

MS and Sega have history. Remember there were talks of allowing the Xbox to play Dreamcast games when Sega was getting out of the hardware biz, as MS made the OS in the DC, but MS didn't want to allow internet connection for the DC titles.

What if that past relationship has grown into MS buying Sega-Sammy? How insane would it be for Sega, indirectly, to be back in the hardware biz?

V4skunk

Banned
no that's just a way more reasonable number when we think about this current generation.
if the new consoles actually are above 12TF we will have consoles that rival high end PCs... and last gen systems didn't even rival 2 year old mid range PCs... literally... the PS4's GPU was a slightly pimped up version of a then already almost 2 year old mid range AMD card. (the same year as that card released AMD already had a 4TF PC card out... and that wasn't even their highest end model)

so I actually think most people, in order to avoid being disappointed, just expect the new generation to be similar to the current one... low specs, at a relatively low pricepoint

I still don't really expect more than 9-10TF, if the 12+TF are real I will be happy and all is dandy, but if they will be between 9 and 10 I get what I expected, which is a bit disappointing but 🤷‍♂️
PS4 gpu was not pimped up.
It doesn't even match the 7850 it is based on in raw power.

DaGwaphics

If that pic was remotely true then MS should be scared right now because the price of a console with a 251mm2 APU vs 350mm2 APU is market changer.

It depends on what you are doing with it. You have to keep in mind that the 5700xt had enough faulty chips in production to spawn three consumer products. If the clocks of the little chip are maxed out, it might not be that much cheaper to produce (especially if the mark has been moved forward to a perfect chip or dare I say it the clocks were pushed even further). In the event that you have a slamdunk deal on your nand & dram, the bigger chip doesn't look bad at all. I hadn't seen a 251mm2 estimate for the Sony chip before, if that is indeed the size, is that an APU or just half of big navi that will be combined with a chiplet cpu? There might be some life to these discrete CPUs yet.

That estimate for XSES might not be out of the realm of possibility mathematically, but I would assume they'd play it safe and land a little short of 12.

But who's to say that Sony isn't shooting for 14TF. Unless Cerny starts tweeting about 10.2, take that number with a lump of salt the size of Texas.

Last edited:
Doesn't add up as Phil Spencer gas stated they have a final Series X ready. Jason also stated PS5 is ahead of schedule.

Weird to not have near final specs now.

Finally are you verified, if not are random posters here allowed to say they know shit without the need for verification. Cause when I used to use GAF before you have to be verified unless rules have changed around here recently.

Specs are finalized, but for consoles, not for dev kits, though. Final ones with final target specs should be around E3. Just like it was for PS4 in 2013.

From November 2012:
"Near-final dev kits are expected to go out in January, with final versions arriving in the summer."

Last edited:

M-V2

The flames do not mean that they agree with what was said.

Since when "flame" emoji means disagreement?? Lol as much as I want to believe that, but I won't do it for the sake of cheering for 12tf consoles 😂

In the end I want to keep my expectations in check otherwise I will end up being disappointed.

As I always say, the truth is always behind the scenes, so if both consoles are not 12tf this thread is just building up on a huge disappointment.

LED Guy?

Banned
Since when "flame" emoji means disagreement?? Lol as much as I want to believe that, but I won't do it for the sake of cheering for 12tf consoles 😂

In the end I want to keep my expectations in check otherwise I will end up being disappointed.

As I always say, the truth is always behind the scenes, so if both consoles are not 12tf this thread is just building up on a huge disappointment.
I did not say that the Flame emoji 🔥 means a disagreement, why did you put words in my mouth?

And hey, I'm not forcing you into believing if both consoles are 12 TFs or not, predict/speculate/believe what you want of course, but I still believe that both are 12 Navi TFs or above it by a bit, there's just too much real insiders and information thrown out.

And we are at a time where both Sony/Microsoft consoles are near final.

Last edited:

If they are not 12 tf a lot will be upset, some not so much ;)

M-V2

I did not say that the Flame emoji 🔥 means a disagreement, why did you put words in my mouth?

And hey, I'm not forcing you into believing if both consoles are 12 TFs or not, predict/speculate/believe what you want of course, but I still believe that both are 12 Navi TFs, there's just too much real insiders and information thrown out.

And we are at a time where both Sony/Microsoft consoles are near final.

I never said you or anybody else is forcing me to believe anything. 12tf is great & all but I never said I don't believe them I just said I will keep my expectations in check, I don't wanna be disappointed.

I hope both are 12tf that would be awesome but still I feel it ain't the right time to celebrate those leaks & rumors.

M-V2

For me I won't be disappointed as long as they're around 10tf less than that it's a disappointment for me. But I like how you always try to set people's expections as low as possible so they don't end up being disappointed.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
The folks calling out Ubisoft for The Division not meeting expectations need to remember the game was merely published by them and was developed by Massive.
Also with the 4K update that came out The Division looks beautiful on my One X.
I can't think of any game where the world is so "full" looking for a truly lived in experience.

IMHO anyone who plays the Division titles and can't appreciate them as they are are merely depriving themselves of an incredible gaming experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinity Gems

Neo Member
the lead graphics engine designer laughs at me for stopping every 30 seconds to just rotate the camera and look at the sights and listen to the sounds of their game world. "Everything in the game is PBR with multiple sources of volumetric lighting. All of the characters in this game are unique. You will never see the same character model more than once." As I am playing I realize how difficult this game is. I play several games competitively multiple genres (Smite,R6,SFV,CoD,BF,League) but I am getting my ass handed to me. I take the lead character out into a hallway and two enemies rush into the room shooting and moving in what appears to be a tactical pattern. "Is this fucking guy shooting at me while the other guy is trying to circle around to flank me?" he laughs again. "Yep, suppressive fire." As the enemy shoots at me I take note of the deformation of the geometry on display, chunks of cement give way revealing the metal pipes underneath that hold the structure together. Everything is based in reality including what happens when you shoot people or get shot. Its beautiful but it aint pretty.

I sit the controller down (I'm about to die again anyways) "The game is definitely running at 60fps" he shakes his head at me "No its running at 90fps locked. native 4k." dumb stare "On which machine?" he smiles "Both of them."

Two hours and several drinks later

When I asked about the performance of both consoles his response was "Both have the same target we will see if either of them hit that target. " I pushed further and asked what the target was and his response was simply."Above 12" That is not for the XseX or the PS5,from what I can gather internally both machines are targeting very high performance which lines up with hearing earlier that the machines would both be $499 with both companies Taking a loss.

Notes
The gdk they are working with is not the final kit for either machine and XseX is currently ahead in terms of sheer power. Sonys tool set is much more complete and refined.
The trailer is all actual game play. Not in engine but game play.
Every developer or engineer I have ever met day drinks.

Hi everyone! New user, had to wait a few days for the account to pass verification. I wanted to take a stab at the 000000 O. Osiris wrote the other day. Based on your hints and the scope of the game and the UE4 SDK that the company is using, your riddle and this game you're explaining to us, wouldnt happen to be Zero Six - Behind Enemy Lines. would it :messenger_grinning:. CB-Productions(IIRC) the german studio producing it

B_Boss

The folks calling out Ubisoft for The Division not meeting expectations need to remember the game was merely published by them and was developed by Massive.
Also with the 4K update that came out The Division looks beautiful on my One X.
I can't think of any game where the world is so "full" looking for a truly lived in experience.

IMHO anyone who plays the Division titles and can't appreciate them as they are are merely depriving themselves of an incredible gaming experience.

I could not agree more. Division is one of my most beloved games period.

ethomaz

Banned
It depends on what you are doing with it. You have to keep in mind that the 5700xt had enough faulty chips in production to spawn three consumer products. If the clocks of the little chip are maxed out, it might not be that much cheaper to produce (especially if the mark has been moved forward to a perfect chip or dare I say it the clocks were pushed even further). In the event that you have a slamdunk deal on your nand & dram, the bigger chip doesn't look bad at all. I hadn't seen a 251mm2 estimate for the Sony chip before, if that is indeed the size, is that an APU or just half of big navi that will be combined with a chiplet cpu? There might be some life to these discrete CPUs yet.

That estimate for XSES might not be out of the realm of possibility mathematically, but I would assume they'd play it safe and land a little short of 12.

But who's to say that Sony isn't shooting for 14TF. Unless Cerny starts tweeting about 10.2, take that number with a lump of salt the size of Texas.
Nah.
The changes to a 350mm2 chips have more faulty in a wafer is bigger than 251mm2.
They are based in the same technology after all.

Same you can say for Big Navi vs Navi 10.

Last edited:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue

Those that expect 12TF at $399 are delusional.

Those that expect 12TF at $499 may be disappointed.

Those that hope for 12TF and set their bar around 10 may get what’s expected and be pleasantly surprised if they get what they hope for.

Those that expect 12TF at $599 would have a right to be upset if expectations aren’t met.

For me I won't be disappointed as long as they're around 10tf less than that it's a disappointment for me. But I like how you always try to set people's expections as low as possible so they don't end up being disappointed.

My latest I have left camp 9.5 and joined double digits.

I am in the 10.5 area give or take 1 TF of pure power.

But performance wise I see the 2 X the power of the current X.

I think both camps are pretty set where the final product will end up and still say Xbox will have a slight lead of 1 to 1.5 tfs in the end.

Late night musings and all.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue

I think both camps are pretty set where the final product will end up and still say Xbox will have a slight lead of 1 to 1.5 tfs in the end.

I think you’ve mostly been in these camps on both systems. The 9.5 was something you did a bit of mental bouncing back and fourth on.

Either way, if this turns into the case, it merely reinforces the conceptual messaging that Xbox Series X is what Phil Spencer hinted at and Sony’s messaging at fastest console.

SmokSmog

251mm2 is only for Navi 10 GPU 40cus not whole apu
60cus + zen2 with only 8MB L3 would fit into 410mm2 7NM EUV easy. Refering to Phil XBX SX apu.

MARTYWOLF

Give or take? 9.5 - 10.5? 1 to 1.5 is nothing, Crazy to think how far we have come from 2013 though considering 1.5 is basically this gen first consoles

There have been all kinds of crazy rumors flying around about Microsoft buying a Japanese studio. People thought Platinum, Konami, Capcom, etc.

But what if it's Sega-Sammy?

MS and Sega have history. Remember there were talks of allowing the Xbox to play Dreamcast games when Sega was getting out of the hardware biz, as MS made the OS in the DC, but MS didn't want to allow internet connection for the DC titles.

What if that past relationship has grown into MS buying Sega-Sammy? How insane would it be for Sega, indirectly, to be back in the hardware biz?

'Ya know, the whole thing with translating PSO2 might be a hint at this. Personally I wouldn't mind it, especially if it meant we could get a AAA PD Saga remake or sequel ;)

However, I think it'd be best to let SEGA stuff that's already multiplatform stay multiplatform. Sonic fanbase is basically on Nintendo stuff now, so keep releasing the Sonic games there. Yakuza fanbase mainly on PS and PC, so keep releasing them there, too. But no issue in having Xbox versions of those games day-and-date or as timed exclusives I guess.

Otherwise if that can't be done I'd rather SEGA stay 3rd-party. But MS probably has more of a need for IP than Sony or Nintendo which is why I could picture them at least fostering a stronger business relationship with SEGA versus Sony, who already have enough variety and healthy IP and even a lot of great dormant IP (like Tomba. MAKE A NEW TOMBA ALREADY!!!).

Like, I could see a good chunk of SEGA IP being a good fit for Gamepass and as AA revivals/iterations . And maybe in this scenario some actual quality control can be put on the 3D Sonic games so that they're legit good again instead of being, well...Sonic Forces (which was just okay) or even worst, the Boom series 🤢 (not the animated series tho; that's legit pretty good).

IkarugaDE

Whoa what the hell console is that ok the left with that *beautiful* and most legendary game inserted???
Haha. It's the Super Retro Trio. It's a clone-console with real hardware, not a shitty Android console. It plays all region NES, SNES and Sega Gen/MD games. It has an integrated Region switch and you can comnect all original controllers if you have one. Best thing is, it runs native via HDMI and the picture especially for NES looks great.
4tKePQY.jpg

2Nbi4aL.jpg

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The only negative to this is it may even cause even less third party support for Nintendo. These machines are just way above, in another realm then what can be done on switch. Unless third parties do a diff version. This isn't even scaling down realm.

Unless the Switch Pro is real and is 3 TFs of power.

PocoJoe

Banned
I will expect 16-18.5 teraflops from PS5 BEAST.

They dont need that to crush their enemies, but savage man Cerny wont feel the pathetic feeling of pity, so he loads PS5 with the BEAST technology to crush "competitors" under the firm heel of Japanese samurai spirit.

Rumours say that Phil Peniser is already having a mental breakdown because he knows that when PS5 will be reavealed, MS stock will plummet into -5000 % and Sony will buy MS, just to trash them into oblivion.

Last edited:
I will expect 16-18.5 teraflops from PS5 BEAST.

They dont need that to crush their enemies, but savage man Cerny wont feel the pathetic feeling of pity, so he loads PS5 with the BEAST technology to crush "competitors" under the firm heel of Japanese samurai spirit.

Rumours say that Phil Peniser is already having a mental breakdown because he knows that when PS5 will be reavealed, MS stock will plummet into -5000 % and Sony will buy MS, just to trash them into oblivion.
Non of that is necessary. As long as ps5 is close to XSX many fanboys will be extremely upset and that’s joyful enough to witness the meltdown as it happens 👀😂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom