• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on Sony were over a 1000.
UnhappyCoordinatedBoaconstrictor-size_restricted.gif

bitbydeath

Gold Member
no that's just a way more reasonable number when we think about this current generation.
if the new consoles actually are above 12TF we will have consoles that rival high end PCs... and last gen systems didn't even rival 2 year old mid range PCs... literally... the PS4's GPU was a slightly pimped up version of a then already almost 2 year old mid range AMD card.

so I actually think most people, in order to avoid being disappointed, just expect the new generation to be similar to the current one... low specs, at a relatively low pricepoint

I still don't really expect more than 9-10TF, if the 12+TF are real I will be happy and all is dandy, but if they will be between 9 and 10 I get what I expected, which is a bit disappointing but 🤷‍♂️

That’s because tech has gotten better and you can now get more power in smaller boxes. Just look at how far mobiles have come since the generation started and they are tiny.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Doesn't the Panny GH5 do 4K 120 though?

Not full frame, pretty cropped. Very bad for lenses with strong bokeh. Micro-thrid sensor, pretty small. Should go with SH1 for that matter, but the lack of lenses is the biggest problem. Sony is on top of this mirrorless game with the biggest lens selection. Thought about Blackmagic 6K but that one has shit auto-focus.

As you see, it's confusing and the safer bit was to wait for a 4K@60fps+ from Sony to me, full frame with no compromises.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
no that's just a way more reasonable number when we think about this current generation.
if the new consoles actually are above 12TF we will have consoles that rival high end PCs... and last gen systems didn't even rival 2 year old mid range PCs... literally... the PS4's GPU was a slightly pimped up version of a then already almost 2 year old mid range AMD card.

so I actually think most people, in order to avoid being disappointed, just expect the new generation to be similar to the current one... low specs, at a relatively low pricepoint

I still don't really expect more than 9-10TF, if the 12+TF are real I will be happy and all is dandy, but if they will be between 9 and 10 I get what I expected, which is a bit disappointing but 🤷‍♂️

You got solid points, but I trust the insiders as all the details has piled up towards 12+.

Banned
That’s because tech has gotten better and you can now get more power in smaller boxes. Just look at how far mobiles have come since the generation started and they are tiny.

it's not about what we can get into what. if we look at last gen, they didn't even try to be competitive in terms of performance.
extremely low end CPU, and a 2 year old GPU that was already mid range when it released.

the PS4's GPU was based on a mid range GPU by AMD that was released about 20 months ahead of the PS4 at a price of around $220. at that same time, 20 months ahead of the PS4's launch, AMD released a 4TF Graphics Card which was their SECOND most powerful one released that year.
if we go with above 12TF, that is higher than any current RDNA graphics card on the market today which is a 9TF card at $350 and above depending on vendor... do you see the difference here?

that's why I still kinda can't believe the above 12TF claim... again, it would be amazing but I just can't believe it honestly... it's too good to be true and I am a natural skeptic :messenger_grinning_sweat: which often makes me doubt stuff but keeps me from being overly disappointed most of the time.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
it's not about what we can get into what. if we look at last gen, they didn't even try to be competitive in terms of performance.
extremely low end CPU, and a 2 year old GPU that was already mid range when it released.

the PS4's GPU was based on a mid range GPU by AMD that was released about 20 months ahead of the PS4 at a price of around $220. at that same time, 20 months ahead of the PS4's launch, AMD released a 4TF Graphics Card WHICH WAS THEIR SECOND most powerful one released that year.
if we go with above 12TF, that is higher than any current RDNA graphics card on the market today which is a 9TF card at $350 and above depending on vendor... do you see the difference here?

that's why I still kinda can't believe the above 12TF claim... again, it would be amazing but I just can't believe it honestly... it's too good to be true and I am a natural skeptic :messenger_grinning_sweat: which often makes me doubt stuff but keeps me from being overly disappointed most of the time.

The OG PS4 was the most powerful and the fans got loud depending on the game which shows the ceiling of what it could handle at the time.

iPhone 5s was the latest mobile tech in 2013 and there is a massive difference between that and the iPhone 11.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

the PS4's GPU was based on a mid range GPU by AMD that was released about 20 months ahead of the PS4 at a price of around $220. at that same time, 20 months ahead of the PS4's launch, AMD released a 4TF Graphics Card which was their SECOND most powerful one released that year.

Didn't forget you, but I ran out of tickets but can afford you this if you like

wyEs8La.png

Banned
The OG PS4 was the most powerful and the fans got loud depending on the game which shows the ceiling of what it could handle at the time.

iPhone 5s was the latest mobile tech in 2013 and there is a massive difference between that and the iPhone 11.

the PS4 got loud because the case was just too small.
if we had both systems be the size of the base XBox One or Series X they could have had a 4TF GPU in there no problem.
the XBox One famously is almost half empty, all that space was to make extra sure it doesn't overheat... and that thing was even less powerful.

the noise level of the base PS4 was also due to really shitty and tiny fans used... when my PC's fans really go bonkers (which they rarely do but I tested some stuff and I once connected a wire wrong so all the power went to the fans instead of my GPU lol... that was scary) they don't even get as loud as a base PS4.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This thread is moving way to quickly, I can't keep up!

If next gen is 12tf then what would be the minimum hardware to play next gen games at 1080p on a PC?

I woud say 3-4TF as 4K is 1080px4, the number suggests Lockhart as well. 4TF of RDNA or Nvidia's (Turing?).

Last edited:
the lead graphics engine designer laughs at me for stopping every 30 seconds to just rotate the camera and look at the sights and listen to the sounds of their game world. "Everything in the game is PBR with multiple sources of volumetric lighting. All of the characters in this game are unique. You will never see the same character model more than once." As I am playing I realize how difficult this game is. I play several games competitively multiple genres (Smite,R6,SFV,CoD,BF,League) but I am getting my ass handed to me. I take the lead character out into a hallway and two enemies rush into the room shooting and moving in what appears to be a tactical pattern. "Is this fucking guy shooting at me while the other guy is trying to circle around to flank me?" he laughs again. "Yep, suppressive fire." As the enemy shoots at me I take note of the deformation of the geometry on display, chunks of cement give way revealing the metal pipes underneath that hold the structure together. Everything is based in reality including what happens when you shoot people or get shot. Its beautiful but it aint pretty.

I sit the controller down (I'm about to die again anyways) "The game is definitely running at 60fps" he shakes his head at me "No its running at 90fps locked. native 4k." dumb stare "On which machine?" he smiles "Both of them."

Two hours and several drinks later

When I asked about the performance of both consoles his response was "Both have the same target we will see if either of them hit that target. " I pushed further and asked what the target was and his response was simply."Above 12" That is not for the XseX or the PS5,from what I can gather internally both machines are targeting very high performance which lines up with hearing earlier that the machines would both be $499 with both companies Taking a loss.

Notes
The gdk they are working with is not the final kit for either machine and XseX is currently ahead in terms of sheer power. Sonys tool set is much more complete and refined.
The trailer is all actual game play. Not in engine but game play.
Every developer or engineer I have ever met day drinks.
Thanks for the info. We’ve been desperate for this kinda stuff. Tell me, can you clarify what you meant by “Above 12. That is not for the XSX or PS5” ?

TLZ

Banned
Hi, I'm from the future. I've seen page 2000, and PS5 and XSX both kick ass.
They're still aren't revealed aren't they?

It also said 500GB SSD for the PS5... I can't go with that tbh. 500GB for these consoles in 2020/2021... that makes no sense and is unacceptable imo.
Maybe because Sony's SSD is more expensive they had to stick to 500gb? Maybe.

Expansionable, 499 with 500gig, 599 with 1TB?
That's exactly what they did with PS3 and I definitely wouldn't recommend they repeat it. Just release one and let people expand storage at their own time.

devilNprada

That's exactly what they did with PS3 and I definitely wouldn't recommend they repeat it. Just release one and let people expand storage at their own time.

If it's some Sony proprietary super SSD how can we go replace it on our own? No way they only give us only 500GB... That wasn't enough for last gen. At least give us the option to pay for more.

Let's recap a few things we actually do know or heard about:

- Spencer said that when you do the math the XSX is twice the power of the XBX. 6x2 = 12TF.
- Some journalists said both companies were absolutely going for higher numbers than Google Stadia (10.7TF).
- Rumors and more rumors about 12, 13 and even 14TF devkits.
- "Big Navi" still hasn't been revealed but it's estimated to be more powerful than RTX 2080Ti. So it's safe to say the consoles will be somewhere between RX 5700XT and Big Navi, since both will have HW RT, something the RX lacks.
- Ryzen mobile has awesome performance for a low TDP. Desktop parts have better performance but at the cost of a higher TDP. Guess which they'll go with. (my guess is that it makes sense to go for a better GPU and a less powerful CPU, hence a mobile part).
- Alleged >2GHz for the PS5 GPU doesn't make sense as the sweet spot for the 5700XT is around 1.8Ghz. Going up the clock gets a small performance improvement at the cost of a *huge* TDP increase.
- 7nm+ EUV for now seems improbable, as it's a very novel process which takes time to become cheaper and get better yields. Also, the demand would be way too high for TSMC to be able to provide enough units.

Having all that in mind I do believe we're gonna have some very powerful consoles. But I don't think they'll come cheap. 499-599 would be my guess. And that would still probably take some loss.

TLZ

Banned
If it's some Sony proprietary super SSD how can we go replace it on our own? No way they only give us only 500GB... That wasn't enough for last gen. At least give us the option to pay for more.
HDD price isn't the same as SSD price. On top of that if Sony is using some proprietary tech it'd cost more I think. Even if it's just normal SSD, if it's one of the fastest in the market it'll be costly.

For me it makes sense.

Edit: As for expansion, if it's a normal SSD it shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned

Add to tht the new samsunh s20 tht literally is the most powerful phone in the world and a super beast and these engineers know how to make shit work.

Imtjnotu

Not full frame, pretty cropped. Very bad for lenses with strong bokeh. Micro-thrid sensor, pretty small. Should go with SH1 for that matter, but the lack of lenses is the biggest problem. Sony is on top of this mirrorless game with the biggest lens selection. Thought about Blackmagic 6K but that one has shit auto-focus.

As you see, it's confusing and the safer bit was to wait for a 4K@60fps+ from Sony to me, full frame with no compromises.
Hopefully they let us choose between its internal 6k and its output 4k. There isn't really anytbing wrong with my A7iii but I'm usually one to go newer and better. I just want even better low light and more AI for helping in shadows like the way Google does it on the pixel. If it gave me dual exposure I'd die happy

Rudius

Yes waiting on the page but I do have something that I can share.

Also I would like to publicly state That HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 @BGs @Captain Hero and Insane Metal Insane Metal have all made my PM's a very interesting place to be. Much respect and BG's and Heisenberg (even without the tag) are both legit as fuck. BG's got me so excited for next gen VR its not funny,
I love my PSVR and play it more then TV games this days. Knowing you got excited for next gen VR after seeing AAA games on PS5/Series X truly made my day.

PS: Lurked for years, this is my first post on Neogaf.

KAL2006

Banned
the lead graphics engine designer laughs at me for stopping every 30 seconds to just rotate the camera and look at the sights and listen to the sounds of their game world. "Everything in the game is PBR with multiple sources of volumetric lighting. All of the characters in this game are unique. You will never see the same character model more than once." As I am playing I realize how difficult this game is. I play several games competitively multiple genres (Smite,R6,SFV,CoD,BF,League) but I am getting my ass handed to me. I take the lead character out into a hallway and two enemies rush into the room shooting and moving in what appears to be a tactical pattern. "Is this fucking guy shooting at me while the other guy is trying to circle around to flank me?" he laughs again. "Yep, suppressive fire." As the enemy shoots at me I take note of the deformation of the geometry on display, chunks of cement give way revealing the metal pipes underneath that hold the structure together. Everything is based in reality including what happens when you shoot people or get shot. Its beautiful but it aint pretty.

I sit the controller down (I'm about to die again anyways) "The game is definitely running at 60fps" he shakes his head at me "No its running at 90fps locked. native 4k." dumb stare "On which machine?" he smiles "Both of them."

Two hours and several drinks later

When I asked about the performance of both consoles his response was "Both have the same target we will see if either of them hit that target. " I pushed further and asked what the target was and his response was simply."Above 12" That is not for the XseX or the PS5,from what I can gather internally both machines are targeting very high performance which lines up with hearing earlier that the machines would both be $499 with both companies Taking a loss.

Notes
The gdk they are working with is not the final kit for either machine and XseX is currently ahead in terms of sheer power. Sonys tool set is much more complete and refined.
The trailer is all actual game play. Not in engine but game play.
Every developer or engineer I have ever met day drinks.

Doesn't add up as Phil Spencer gas stated they have a final Series X ready. Jason also stated PS5 is ahead of schedule.

Weird to not have near final specs now.

Finally are you verified, if not are random posters here allowed to say they know shit without the need for verification. Cause when I used to use GAF before you have to be verified unless rules have changed around here recently.

Ellery

Let's recap a few things we actually do know or heard about:

- Spencer said that when you do the math the XSX is twice the power of the XBX. 6x2 = 12TF.
- Some journalists said both companies were absolutely going for higher numbers than Google Stadia (10.7TF).
- Rumors and more rumors about 12, 13 and even 14TF devkits.
- "Big Navi" still hasn't been revealed but it's estimated to be more powerful than RTX 2080Ti. So it's safe to say the consoles will be somewhere between RX 5700XT and Big Navi, since both will have HW RT, something the RX lacks.
- Ryzen mobile has awesome performance for a low TDP. Desktop parts have better performance but at the cost of a higher TDP. Guess which they'll go with. (my guess is that it makes sense to go for a better GPU and a less powerful CPU, hence a mobile part).
- Alleged >2GHz for the PS5 GPU doesn't make sense as the sweet spot for the 5700XT is around 1.8Ghz. Going up the clock gets a small performance improvement at the cost of a *huge* TDP increase.
- 7nm+ EUV for now seems improbable, as it's a very novel process which takes time to become cheaper and get better yields. Also, the demand would be way too high for TSMC to be able to provide enough units.

Having all that in mind I do believe we're gonna have some very powerful consoles. But I don't think they'll come cheap. 499-599 would be my guess. And that would still probably take some loss.

- You don't need 12TF to be more powerful than the Xbox one X. Architectural improvements in the next generation only need roughly 9 - 10 TF to match the 12 TF of the Xbox One X.
- No idea if the consoles are more than 10.7TF, but both consoles will definitely be faster than Stadia. Reason see above.
- Devkits are devkits and don't necessarily reflect final hardware. Maybe early devkits had a different set of hardware to "emulate" the architecture of the final product. For example a 13TF GNC devkit was a placeholder for a 10TF Navi GPU
- I am curious about how AMD is going to handle RayTracing and what this year products are going to look like. The consoles won't have big Navi, because the chip is going to be bigger than the Xbox Series X chip we have already seen. Somewhere between might be realistic yes, but too early to tell.
- I agree, but no idea what CPU they are actually going to use. All Ryzen CPUs have an awesome "TDP" if they are clocked low. I probably could have my 3700X running at 20W at lower clocks and it would perform magically well.
- I very much agree here. A super high clocked Navi makes zero sense because that is way past the sweetspot. Higher CUs + lower clocks make much more sense than fewer CUs + higher clocks.
- Yes they were planned long in advance. They already have final products and know exactly what is going in. They have no room for experimentation.

Needless to say I am extremely excited to see the final product and what they managed to pull off. No matter what the rumors are my feelings are still more on the conservative side of things regarding how strong the gpu is inside the chip and I have yet to see something that would realistically explain the possibility of a 12 TF RDNA Navi chip inside the consoles on top of the RayTracing implementation we have seen nothing of.
I hope AMD can pull it off. I hope I am wrong, but I also hoped I was wrong in 2012/2013 when people were saying consoles are going to be 3 TF, but they ended up being 1.3 and 1.8 TF.

Edit : For clarification I think 12TF is actually possible for a high CU count chip in an expensive and power hungry console. Above 12 TF much less so.

Last edited:

Am I the only one who caught this & confused? Above 12 is NOT for XSX or PS5?

Lone Wolf

Doesn't add up as Phil Spencer gas stated they have a final Series X ready. Jason also stated PS5 is ahead of schedule.

Weird to not have near final specs now.

Finally are you verified, if not are random posters here allowed to say they know shit without the need for verification. Cause when I used to use GAF before you have to be verified unless rules have changed around here recently.
Dev kits get numurous updates, both hardware and software. Even after the consoles release.

I was confused too it didnt make sense but I left it alone. You go on talking about how the dev says its aiming for it but then say "it's not for Xbox or psv" tht threw me off.

It doesn't make sense since through out his post he's already referring to both...so there was no need explicitly name consoles. You can't even say it was a typo since it was so misplaced.

I'm not gonna throw out accusations, but if the explanation from him is simply another "Yes". then I think people can figure this out....

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

I got a Canon 70D (mostly for picture taking), but I want to get into more video. Can my Canon lenses fit on one of the newer Sony mirrorless cameras?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom