• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

IkarugaDE

By the way, I'm really curious what Nintendoes (haha). The Switch is at the middle of its life cycle. Logically we can expect a successor in maybe 2-3 years. Even if Nintendo actually is not a real competitor for Sony and MS, but they need to find a new solution again to consist and avoid a second WiiU.

In worst case for Nintendo they follow up Sega... Imagine we'll get a Mario Kart on our PS5 and XSX battleships!

Perrott

I think this game Osiris is talking about is a sequel to Black. Destructible environment, tactical position of enemies... sounds like Black.
I doubt it, EA already said that their shooter for 2020 will be Apex Legends, with the next Battlefield being their big FPS for 2021.

I think the game it's gonna be Black Ops V, running on Modern Warfare's engine.

pasterpl

As big of a chance as the Andromeda galaxy hitting us in the next 2 hours.

giphy.gif

B_Boss

Haha. It's the Super Retro Trio. It's a clone-console with real hardware, not a shitty Android console. It plays all region NES, SNES and Sega Gen/MD games. It has an integrated Region switch and you can comnect all original controllers if you have one. Best thing is, it runs native via HDMI and the picture especially for NES looks great.
4tKePQY.jpg

2Nbi4aL.jpg

My ohhhh my!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I got a Canon 70D (mostly for picture taking), but I want to get into more video. Can my Canon lenses fit on one of the newer Sony mirrorless cameras?

You can literally use all your canon lenses on Sony using Sony's metabone and it should work even faster and better than native canon! You can find that on youtube. But if those were crop lense then probably a6500 and the likes, not sure how good it'll be on a full frame Sony. You should probably look into it more.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I doubt it, EA already said that their shooter for 2020 will be Apex Legends, with the next Battlefield being their big FPS for 2021.

Well they ain't gonna mention it when it's unannounced...

Moses85

By the way, I'm really curious what Nintendoes (haha). The Switch is at the middle of its life cycle. Logically we can expect a successor in maybe 2-3 years. Even if Nintendo actually is not a real competitor for Sony and MS, but they need to find a new solution again to consist and avoid a second WiiU.

In worst case for Nintendo they follow up Sega... Imagine we'll get a Mario Kart on our PS5 and XSX battleships!

I read this since the „failure“ of the GCN.. and what happened since this?
A Wii which swiped the floor with Xbox 360 and PS3, a NDS which swiped the floor with the PSP, a 3DS which swiped the floor with the PSVita, a WiiU which failed extremely hard...
Nintendo earned so much money in the past years, they can have 3 more WiiU failures without getting nervous.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
That's a good question. The more I read what he said, the more excited I get haha
When I read his comments and then look at my calendar I always hate how much longer we actually going to have to wait. It's at least another 8 months before we can get our hands on these systems. :messenger_weary:

MrJekyll16

Neo Member
They're still aren't revealed aren't they?

They are but the way Sony officially revealed it will surprise you.

Sony was a secret guest at the MS press co at E3 to announce a new game. The game will be a crossover game and will be called: Playstation vs Xbox All Stars Battle Royal. Furthermore, they talked a bit about their partnership on Azure and how that will help with their crossover game and how that will help in the future when it comes to cross play.

And here comes the real bomb....
What Sony didn't tell them, they were secretly planning to reveal the PS5 on stage just after MS revealed everything about XSX. No one knew anything.

The rest is history, both will kick ass though. ;)

DrDamn

Given OsirisBlack OsirisBlack has footage captured of him playing, and is talking about publishing impressions with that exclusive footage post reveal, I don't think it's EA or Activision. Their marketing and PR would be too tightly controlled to allow that wouldn't it?

Last edited:

Perrott

Given OsirisBlack OsirisBlack has footage captured of him playing, and is talking about publishing impressions with that exclusive footage post reveal, I don't think it's EA or Activision. Their marketing and PR would be too tightly controlled to allow that wouldn't it?
Well, in that case the same could be said about Ubisoft (Rainbow Six Quarantine) or Bethesda (Deathloop) and even 2K (31st Union's new IP and Bioshock 4).

So what's the game and who is making it? Could it be Ready at Dawn's new TPS IP? No it cannot be, why would a third person game need to run at 90fps?

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

When I read his comments and then look at my calendar I always hate how much longer we actually going to have to wait. It's at least another 8 months before we can get our hands on these systems. :messenger_weary:
Every time someone talks like that, I like to point the amount of incredible games we're still getting this year for the current consoles. Chill out, man!!

farmerboy

I love having the insiders around but this has me wondering. Doesn't this supposed footage and potential publication of, mean that his source would then be outed?

I'm not entirely sure what the implications of this situation are.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Every time someone talks like that, I like to point the amount of incredible games we're still getting this year for the current consoles. Chill out, man!!
That's true, but I'm tired of my current console. Got it on day 1, and didn't buy a mid-gen upgrade so I really want a new toy. But I should just focus on playing more games now. In 5 days we get Two Point Hospital on Game Pass, something to look forward to.

Last edited by a moderator:

IkarugaDE

I read this since the „failure“ of the GCN.. and what happened since this?
A Wii which swiped the floor with Xbox 360 and PS3, a NDS which swiped the floor with the PSP, a 3DS which swiped the floor with the PSVita, a WiiU which failed extremely hard...
Nintendo earned so much money in the past years, they can have 3 more WiiU failures without getting nervous.
You're right, but on the other hand I never prophecy the downfall of nintendo nor underestimate them (MK on XSX and PS5 was a deliberate Exaggeration :messenger_tears_of_joy:). But IMO it's getting harder and harder for BigN in the next years. The Wii and Switch where a intelligen move, but I don't know if it is enaught for next Nintendo-Generation to publish a better Switch. what I was going to say: I'm curious what Nintendoes next. :messenger_beaming:

Regarding to the NDS/3DS: The handheld market is dead and IMO it will not rise again. At the WiiU-times Nintendo had the 3DS as a small anchor, these days there's only the switch. Just because they have a lot of Money it doesn't mean they'll spend it until death in the hope their hardware is successful.

Last edited:
Let's recap a few things we actually do know or heard about:

- Spencer said that when you do the math the XSX is twice the power of the XBX. 6x2 = 12TF.
- Some journalists said both companies were absolutely going for higher numbers than Google Stadia (10.7TF).
- Rumors and more rumors about 12, 13 and even 14TF devkits.
- "Big Navi" still hasn't been revealed but it's estimated to be more powerful than RTX 2080Ti. So it's safe to say the consoles will be somewhere between RX 5700XT and Big Navi, since both will have HW RT, something the RX lacks.
- Ryzen mobile has awesome performance for a low TDP. Desktop parts have better performance but at the cost of a higher TDP. Guess which they'll go with. (my guess is that it makes sense to go for a better GPU and a less powerful CPU, hence a mobile part).
- Alleged >2GHz for the PS5 GPU doesn't make sense as the sweet spot for the 5700XT is around 1.8Ghz. Going up the clock gets a small performance improvement at the cost of a *huge* TDP increase.
- 7nm+ EUV for now seems improbable, as it's a very novel process which takes time to become cheaper and get better yields. Also, the demand would be way too high for TSMC to be able to provide enough units.

Having all that in mind I do believe we're gonna have some very powerful consoles. But I don't think they'll come cheap. 499-599 would be my guess. And that would still probably take some loss.
I was going to respond then i saw this post below.
- You don't need 12TF to be more powerful than the Xbox one X. Architectural improvements in the next generation only need roughly 9 - 10 TF to match the 12 TF of the Xbox One X.
- No idea if the consoles are more than 10.7TF, but both consoles will definitely be faster than Stadia. Reason see above.
- Devkits are devkits and don't necessarily reflect final hardware. Maybe early devkits had a different set of hardware to "emulate" the architecture of the final product. For example a 13TF GNC devkit was a placeholder for a 10TF Navi GPU
- I am curious about how AMD is going to handle RayTracing and what this year products are going to look like. The consoles won't have big Navi, because the chip is going to be bigger than the Xbox Series X chip we have already seen. Somewhere between might be realistic yes, but too early to tell.
- I agree, but no idea what CPU they are actually going to use. All Ryzen CPUs have an awesome "TDP" if they are clocked low. I probably could have my 3700X running at 20W at lower clocks and it would perform magically well.
- I very much agree here. A super high clocked Navi makes zero sense because that is way past the sweetspot. Higher CUs + lower clocks make much more sense than fewer CUs + higher clocks.
- Yes they were planned long in advance. They already have final products and know exactly what is going in. They have no room for experimentation.

Needless to say I am extremely excited to see the final product and what they managed to pull off. No matter what the rumors are my feelings are still more on the conservative side of things regarding how strong the gpu is inside the chip and I have yet to see something that would realistically explain the possibility of a 12 TF RDNA Navi chip inside the consoles on top of the RayTracing implementation we have seen nothing of.
I hope AMD can pull it off. I hope I am wrong, but I also hoped I was wrong in 2012/2013 when people were saying consoles are going to be 3 TF, but they ended up being 1.3 and 1.8 TF.

Edit : For clarification I think 12TF is actually possible for a high CU count chip in an expensive and power hungry console. Above 12 TF much less so.
(y)
:messenger_fire:

ZywyPL

Banned
This thread is moving way to quickly, I can't keep up!

If next gen is 12tf then what would be the minimum hardware to play next gen games at 1080p on a PC?

Considering games on PC are fully customizable, with all the options/features begin able to be turned down all the way to Very Low or even completely disabled, I'd say 3-4TF will do.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
HDD price isn't the same as SSD price. On top of that of Sony is using some proprietary tech it'd cost more I think. Even if it's just normal SSD, if it's one of the fastest in the market it'll be costly.

For me it makes sense.

Edit: As for expansion, if it's a normal SSD it shouldn't be an issue.

My guess it's the normal 2.5" SSD threw USB 3.1 Gen 2, if you keep your game there then they're should be like a temporary spot on the PS5's ultra fast SSD that would borrow the aspects from it before you start the game and use it as Bluray's.

1TB for around $95 and 2TB for around $220 on amazon. Even this very fast NVMe m.2 2TB with 3.2GB/s read 2.9GB/s write is sold at $220, with a 4TB variant as well!

71N5ivy7uWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

photogaz

Let's face it, pre next gen is really getting frustrating. What on earth where the board thinking appointing Jim Ryan, there's no faces of Playstation any more. They've all been pushed or left.

Sony is waiting for MS and MS is waiting for Sony. It shows none of them are confident in their products this time around.

I don't think we'll see Sony move until after E3 now. Are Sony trying to piss of their 3rd parties too?

Let's face it, we can moan all we like but Sony has a plan. It may pay off, but right now it's frustrating to be a gaming fan who's dying for the next thing.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Phison or Sandisk in Series x? Phison was devkit? or Vice versa?

Edit: Sparkman and Arden perhaps have different SSD?

DyppmAK.jpg
That thing people thought was the Series S (or whatever it is called) was using a Western Digital 500GB SSD, I believe. My memory is dog shit though so I could be wrong about the size.

M-V2

Let's face it, pre next gen is really getting frustrating. What on earth where the board thinking appointing Jim Ryan, there's no faces of Playstation any more. They've all been pushed or left.

Sony is waiting for MS and MS is waiting for Sony. It shows none of them are confident in their products this time around.

I don't think we'll see Sony move until after E3 now. Are Sony trying to piss of their 3rd parties too?

Let's face it, we can moan all we like but Sony has a plan. It may pay off, but right now it's frustrating to be a gaming fan who's dying for the next thing.
For God sake let's just stop the nonsense of "they don't have confidence" it's not about confidence, it's about "business" Sony wants to undercut MS if that possible. Anyone talks about confidence he/she doesn't know shit about business.

chigstoke

My guess it's the normal 2.5" SSD threw USB 3.1 Gen 2, if you keep your game there then they're should be like a temporary spot on the PS5's ultra fast SSD that would borrow the aspects from it before you start the game and use it as Bluray's.

1TB for around $95 and 2TB for around $220 on amazon. Even this very fast NVMe m.2 2TB with 3.2GB/s read 2.9GB/s write is sold at $220, with a 4TB variant as well!

71N5ivy7uWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The 1TB variant of this on Amazon UK is only £99.99. So tempted to get one because AFAIK the reviews are brilliant and it's great read/write speeds for the price I'd be paying. Bang for buck has to be one of the best around surely?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The 1TB variant of this on Amazon UK is only £99.99. So tempted to get one because AFAIK the reviews are brilliant and it's great read/write speeds for the price I'd be paying. Bang for buck has to be one of the best around surely?

Could it be cheaper to order it from the US? Or taxes gonna go insane with that way? I order half of my PC's build from amazon US (international?) with around $120-150 shipping and taxes? can't remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom