• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

chigstoke

Could it be cheaper to order it from the US? Or taxes gonna go insane with that way? I order half of my PC's build from amazon US (international?) with around $120-150 shipping and taxes? can't remember.
Potential of getting import charges slapped on maybe? I've been hit with horrendous import charges in the past.

Having a quick scan, I see the Rocket Q 1TB is $119.99 on Amazon US, I think is near enough £92ish pounds, so probably not worth the tiny saving and wait on shipping. Tried looking at other sites but couldn't find any for cheaper.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
RT if you agree (lol)

If even he doesn't have specs, I doubt anybody has.
Phison or Sandisk in Series x? Phison was devkit? or Vice versa?

Edit: Sparkman and Arden perhaps have different SSD?

DyppmAK.jpg
Phison is just making controllers. So it looks like Microsoft is sourcing their controller from Phison and their NAND from Sandisk, while Sony is sourcing their NAND from Samsung (Samsung already talked about a delivering NAND for next gen consoles and showed a PS4 picture in the background). That would explain why they don't suffer from the same price hike (Samsung had an incident some weeks ago).

So if Sony is sourcing both DRAM and NAND from Samsung, that would explain a lot.

darkinstinct

I doubt it, EA already said that their shooter for 2020 will be Apex Legends, with the next Battlefield being their big FPS for 2021.

I think the game it's gonna be Black Ops V, running on Modern Warfare's engine.

It's a game running on UE4. It will not be a Call of Duty or a Battlefield. Zero Six would make a lot of sense actually. Not only regarding the engine and design, but especially with performance. A team based shooter with current gen origin has a much better chance to reach 4k/90 on next gen devices.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Potential of getting import charges slapped on maybe? I've been hit with horrendous import charges in the past.

Having a quick scan, I see the Rocket Q 1TB is $119.99 on Amazon US, I think is near enough £92ish pounds, so probably not worth the tiny saving and wait on shipping. Tried looking at other sites but couldn't find any for cheaper.

I've literally ordered a steel 15x10 -44 offset wheel for my spare from eBay coming from US, costing around $90. Funny thing is I paid 90 Omani rials because of the insane weight, that means $234 :messenger_tears_of_joy: But it was necessary.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
There have been all kinds of crazy rumors flying around about Microsoft buying a Japanese studio. People thought Platinum, Konami, Capcom, etc.

But what if it's Sega-Sammy?

MS and Sega have history. Remember there were talks of allowing the Xbox to play Dreamcast games when Sega was getting out of the hardware biz, as MS made the OS in the DC, but MS didn't want to allow internet connection for the DC titles.

What if that past relationship has grown into MS buying Sega-Sammy? How insane would it be for Sega, indirectly, to be back in the hardware biz?

I would buy a new SEGA console day one, for the sake of nostalgia!

Neo Blaster

For God sake let's just stop the nonsense of "they don't have confidence" it's not about confidence, it's about "business" Sony wants to undercut MS if that possible. Anyone talks about confidence he/she doesn't know shit about business.
Yep, people must remember Sony have a golden goose right now on the market named PS4, and it still has an official $249 price tag so far in the generation and a bunch of heavy hitters incoming. They must be very careful when to release info and how much, or they risk hurting their hardware/software sales even more.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
- You don't need 12TF to be more powerful than the Xbox one X. Architectural improvements in the next generation only need roughly 9 - 10 TF to match the 12 TF of the Xbox One X.
- No idea if the consoles are more than 10.7TF, but both consoles will definitely be faster than Stadia. Reason see above.
- Devkits are devkits and don't necessarily reflect final hardware. Maybe early devkits had a different set of hardware to "emulate" the architecture of the final product. For example a 13TF GNC devkit was a placeholder for a 10TF Navi GPU
- I am curious about how AMD is going to handle RayTracing and what this year products are going to look like. The consoles won't have big Navi, because the chip is going to be bigger than the Xbox Series X chip we have already seen. Somewhere between might be realistic yes, but too early to tell.
- I agree, but no idea what CPU they are actually going to use. All Ryzen CPUs have an awesome "TDP" if they are clocked low. I probably could have my 3700X running at 20W at lower clocks and it would perform magically well.
- I very much agree here. A super high clocked Navi makes zero sense because that is way past the sweetspot. Higher CUs + lower clocks make much more sense than fewer CUs + higher clocks.
- Yes they were planned long in advance. They already have final products and know exactly what is going in. They have no room for experimentation.

Needless to say I am extremely excited to see the final product and what they managed to pull off. No matter what the rumors are my feelings are still more on the conservative side of things regarding how strong the gpu is inside the chip and I have yet to see something that would realistically explain the possibility of a 12 TF RDNA Navi chip inside the consoles on top of the RayTracing implementation we have seen nothing of.
I hope AMD can pull it off. I hope I am wrong, but I also hoped I was wrong in 2012/2013 when people were saying consoles are going to be 3 TF, but they ended up being 1.3 and 1.8 TF.

Edit : For clarification I think 12TF is actually possible for a high CU count chip in an expensive and power hungry console. Above 12 TF much less so.

- Everyone knows about the better performance of RDNA versus GCN and this was discussed many times. All rumors lead us to believe it's 12TF, regardless of GCN or RDNA.
- I believe they'll be around the 12TF mark for that reason.
- Could be, and very possibly were. But as I said, newer RDNA cards will be much better and I bet newer devkit come with those or close to final/retail APUs.
- Yeah I want to see what AMD does for RT! Curious about it.

:) thanks for your responses and those are my responses to your responses, that's what I believe.

DrDamn

It's a game running on UE4. It will not be a Call of Duty or a Battlefield. Zero Six would make a lot of sense actually. Not only regarding the engine and design, but especially with performance. A team based shooter with current gen origin has a much better chance to reach 4k/90 on next gen devices.

Zero Six? As in six zeroes ... 000000? Bingo! 😄

Insane Metal

Gold Member
BTW did you guys see Gamers Nexus' new video? Dude talks about the PS5 BOM and that they (GN) know why it's expensive but they can't talk about it :pie_thinking:

My guess? Custom RT/Custom SSD/Custom Audio solutions, especially the SSD.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I will expect 16-18.5 teraflops from PS5 BEAST.

They dont need that to crush their enemies, but savage man Cerny wont feel the pathetic feeling of pity, so he loads PS5 with the BEAST technology to crush "competitors" under the firm heel of Japanese samurai spirit.

Rumours say that Phil Peniser is already having a mental breakdown because he knows that when PS5 will be reavealed, MS stock will plummet into -5000 % and Sony will buy MS, just to trash them into oblivion.

tenor.gif

chigstoke

I've literally ordered a steel 15x10 -44 offset wheel for my spare from eBay coming from US, costing around $90. Funny thing is I paid 90 Omani rials because of the insane weight, that means $234 :messenger_tears_of_joy: But it was necessary.
I always try to avoid other countries where possible. Usually my first port of call is ebay to see if anyone is selling a second hand bargain of what I want. Every now and then I've used Japan for stuff that was exclusive (my SA2 10th birthday box) as an example.

I've recently noticed a raft of Ryzen CPU's on Aliexpress. Hoping that when the 4000 comes out I can snag a 3700x or similar on there for a good price. Failing that I'll just say fuck it and get a X670 board and CPU :messenger_beaming:

darkinstinct

I love having the insiders around but this has me wondering. Doesn't this supposed footage and potential publication of, mean that his source would then be outed?

I'm not entirely sure what the implications of this situation are.
Stories like this don't happen. You get to see crazy footage behind closed doors, but they don't let you film it. And when it happens, for every major publisher there is always a PR person there. The day drinking part doesn't happen. A lot of devs smoke, but they keep their drinking away from the workplace. To say that "every dev I ever met day drinks" is so far from reality that it's very likely just made up. Straight out of the playing book, mix a believable story (PBR, volumetric clouds, ... all current gen technologies that are widely adopted) with some crazy ideas and give it a personal touch by bonding with a dev. All while still pretending that you want to protect your source. The source, that supposedly is the graphics lead of said game. That's very specific. And OsirisBlack's background becomes more and more strange. He claims to be an ex big guy at Gamestop that was responsible for loads of stores and has sources from back then. He isn't there anymore (and I suppose it would be easy enough to track down a person with that background) but he still has full access to Gamestop's database and knows pricing of loads of games and parts (including Hellblade 2 for PS5). He is also flying around to three developers on a biweekly basis to ask them about specs and watch their work, while not actually working as a journalist but trying to get a story published by other outlets. The whole story is a huge mess and so flawed that I would really be surprised if anything he tells us turns out to be true. Personally, I think it's all made up. Every little bit.

Oh and a next gen game running at 4K/90 with a finished trailer eight months before launch? That doesn't happen. Ever.

Last edited:

darkinstinct

BTW did you guys see Gamers Nexus' new video? Dude talks about the PS5 BOM and that they (GN) know why it's expensive but they can't talk about it :pie_thinking:

He says they know why the cooling is expensive, nothing else. He has probably seen the inside of a devkit already. Note how he says that he can't talk about it until they did their own teardown of PS5.

TLZ

Banned
Stories like this don't happen. You get to see crazy footage behind closed doors, but they don't let you film it. And when it happens, for every major publisher there is always a PR person there. The day drinking part doesn't happen. A lot of devs smoke, but they keep their drinking away from the workplace. To say that "every dev I ever met day drinks" is so far from reality that it's very likely just made up. Straight out of the playing book, mix a believable story (PBR, volumetric clouds, ... all current gen technologies that are widely adopted) with some crazy ideas and give it a personal touch by bonding with a dev. All while still pretending that you want to protect your source. The source, that supposedly is the graphics lead of said game. That's very specific. And OsirisBlack's background becomes more and more strange. He claims to be an ex big guy at Gamestop that was responsible for loads of stores and has sources from back then. He isn't there anymore (and I suppose it would be easy enough to track down a person with that background) but he still has full access to Gamestop's database and knows pricing of loads of games and parts (including Hellblade 2 for PS5). He is also flying around to three developers on a biweekly basis to ask them about specs and watch their work, while not actually working as a journalist but trying to get a story published by other outlets. The whole story is a huge mess and so flawed that I would really be surprised if anything he tells us turns out to be true. Personally, I think it's all made up. Every little bit.

Oh and a next gen game running at 4K/90 with a finished trailer eight months before launch? That doesn't happen. Ever.
You done witch-hunting dude?

Insane Metal

Gold Member
He says they know why the cooling is expensive, nothing else. He has probably seen the inside of a devkit already. Note how he says that he can't talk about it until they did their own teardown of PS5.
That doesn't sound like it's because of the cooling. He said Bloomberg's article cites the cooling and then he goes on to say he knows why the BOM is expensive and not the cooling solution. I mean, they said it's $3 instead of <$1, that's not a big deal in the BOM.

Last edited:

darkinstinct

Yep, people must remember Sony have a golden goose right now on the market named PS4, and it still has an official $249 price tag so far in the generation and a bunch of heavy hitters incoming. They must be very careful when to release info and how much, or they risk hurting their hardware/software sales even more.

Have you seen the numbers? The current gen market is crashing hard, they don't need to delay anything because of that. Only Switch is doing well.

darkinstinct

This user has been temporarily removed from thread. This is not your personal insider crusade thread. If you have nothing to contribute on hardware speculation, then scroll on by.
You done witch-hunting dude?
LOL. Did I hurt your little puppy? Some of you eat up every BS, some of us don't. Get over it.

TLZ

Banned
I will expect 16-18.5 teraflops from PS5 BEAST.

They dont need that to crush their enemies, but savage man Cerny wont feel the pathetic feeling of pity, so he loads PS5 with the BEAST technology to crush "competitors" under the firm heel of Japanese samurai spirit.

Rumours say that Phil Peniser is already having a mental breakdown because he knows that when PS5 will be reavealed, MS stock will plummet into -5000 % and Sony will buy MS, just to trash them into oblivion.

giphy.gif

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member

If it all pays off in the end there isn't really an issue, but some of these won't give them a proper edge towards XSX so they might be spending money without getting something in return.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Isn't it still $299?

DaGwaphics

I hope it does have Ray Tracing....

So they can disable it and give us 120FPS instead.

😙👌

I too would hope a move to 60 or 120 would be made. I just bought a new 4k set in Jan, 90 frames would tear like crazy. I'd hope they don't try to force vrr. If the screen ain't hanging on your face, 90fps isn't the best fit IMO. But these game companies and devs live to make me spend my money on equipment, it is what it is. Also, anybody else think 90/120 is kind of putting the cart before the horse, wouldn't you rather have more effects and visuals at 60? Let's hope the devs haven't lost the plot this gen.

Last edited:
Well, we know from Osiris that developers don't have access to final kits for either system(save for maybe first party devs have a near-final under severe NDA).

That being said, if they are both targeting 12 TFs, I've no reason to not believe they'll hit those marks come final kits around May or June, as there is still a good bit of time to tweak those clocks or adjust accordingly(though no change-outs, unless they add RAM for whatever reason)

I'm going to slightly disagree with Heisenberg on the 1.5 differential and say the final difference will probably be 1 TF or probably less by the time it's all finalized, which is a very negligible difference.

One thing we haven't discussed here that I've seen is Sony and Microsoft's mutual partnership they entered into for MS' cloud assistance about a year ago. I'm guessing Sony plans to revamp PS Now to be more efficient and similar to GamePass?

DaGwaphics

I'm going to slightly disagree with Heisenberg on the 1.5 differential and say the final difference will probably be 1 TF or probably less by the time it's all finalized, which is a very negligible difference.

Sony @ 12.8 like in most of the reddit leaks? After the new leaks [ from ob ], I look back at those with more interest.

Last edited:

Yea he completely lost me with that one. The whole story makes no sense at all. The free access he seems to have to the game and studio. Suddenly turning into a freelance journalist that will be ousting the source of his leaks as soon as he publishes.... Sounds like total bullshit.

I'm surprised you're the only one to call this out.. People have become too desparate for information.

LED Guy?

Banned
I wish Klee would still be active.... Out of all "Insiders" he was the one I had the best gut feeling about. He wasn't some anonymous guy out there. He revealed his identity.
Yeah I agree with you, that is why I believe Kleegamefan, I mean, he was the 1st one who said that both consoles are double digits before anyone else on the internet, and look now, Xbox Series X is 12 Navi TFs, PS5 will be as well but we still haven't seen any leaks or information about it that can confirm what he said, it will be soon though.

He even hinted at XSX reveal at VGAs before anyone else on the internet as well.

Link please ?

I think i know which one is this the one where mentions it for 20 second ?

Last edited:

Sussoloc

One thing we haven't discussed here that I've seen is Sony and Microsoft's mutual partnership they entered into for MS' cloud assistance about a year ago. I'm guessing Sony plans to revamp PS Now to be more efficient and similar to GamePass?
I agree. But how could Sony improve PS Now? Exclusives day 1? PS Now exclusive pc ports of their exclusives instead of streaming (maybe a year after console release)?

Smoke6

Nah bruh, same shit happened with the end of PS3 into the PS4 when TLOU was released and GOW! Then the remasters came!

so yeah that argument is not proof or valid at all. Everyone thought TLOU would have been nex gen at that time as the game was delayed just like it has now almost exactly!

isn't PS4 official price 299$ right now?did i miss the price drop to 249?

Last edited:

Kobi

Yea he completely lost me with that one. The whole story makes no sense at all. The free access he seems to have to the game and studio. Suddenly turning into a freelance journalist that will be ousting the source of his leaks as soon as he publishes.... Sounds like total bullshit.

I'm surprised you're the only one to call this out.. People have become too desparate for information.

Like with everything, a pinch of salt is needed till we get official info. But if someone who is vetted( HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 is a different kettle of fish) tells us some rough specs and tells us about a game, I'm gonna believe him more than some randoms shouting BS.

It's almost like for this first time in a while, this thread has balanced itself out and mostly everyone is in a good mood, excited for these next consoles - no matter what console.

Being sceptical is fine, but it's not like we're years from finding out if it's bs or not. We're probably within 3 months from finding out if what he said is true or not. People also said it was bs that these new consoles would be 7nm.

If you think that OsirisBlack OsirisBlack is lying, contact with Mod of War Mod of War and provide evidence about your claim.

If not, please stop descrediting another users out of the blue, put him on ignore and move on.

Last edited:

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Nobody this late in the game buying a PS4 had at any point considered waiting it out for PS5, so your argument doesn’t make any sense at all. Games will still work on PS5 as well so no need to wait to get them.

Nobody this late in the game buying a PS4 had at any point considered waiting it out for PS5, so your argument doesn’t make any sense at all. Games will still work on PS5 as well so no need to wait to get them.

It does make sense. They're not abandoning their current console like their rivals do the year of next gen launch, so there's no need to spill all the details on PS5 just because fans are getting jittery or because MS has this bizarre habit of revealing a new product way in advance despite having several products on the market.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
It does make sense. They're not abandoning their current console like their rivals do the year of next gen launch, so there's no need to spill all the details on PS5 just because fans are getting jittery or because MS has this bizarre habit of revealing a new product way in advance despite having several products on the market.
Since when does revealing a new console mean abandoning your previous one? Games are selling/will still sell after you announce a new console. It’s not like it’s a secret to anyone! No one stops themselves from buying games on a console to wait for the next one that might or might not bring improvements to previous gen games, and people buying PS4s for 200$ on Black Friday is t the market for a brand new 500$ PS5 so it doesn’t affect PS4 sales one bit. The hardcore forum dweller isn’t the 6 year late cheap ass console buyer who’s looking for the best deal and 10$ games in the bargain bins! No matter how big of a reveal Sony could do with PS5 right now, it wouldn’t affect TLOU2’s sales one bit!

Am9dcoh.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom