• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
PS5
GPU-12.8TF RDNA2 + Secret sausage
RTX Hardware + audio
CPU-3.7gh Zen 2
Memory-24gb (20gb DDR6+4Gb DDR4)
SSD 1tB/5gb
Controller-haptic feedback, wireless charging, heart rate senzors
Webcam- something similar to Kinect

“You heard it here first!” 😈

Calm down, is just a speculation😁

That SKU you just described has a cost of around $550. Good luck. :D

Nope, what I said isn’t sidetracking at all, you just don’t want to take it because it doesn’t make your Xbox look weaker than PS5, 4 times the dev kits that’s a lot.
How in the world does that have anything to do with what I said? Save that heavy fanboying BS for your twitter kid

Fake

I just took a survey for Sony regarding their Remote Play and there were some interesting questions that possibly hint at upcoming features.

1. Using Remote Play with a PS4 not connected to the Internet.
  2. Playing Remote Play on a Switch, AppleTV, AndroidTV
  3. Hiding unused controls for the game to allow for more screen real estate
  4. A slim/portable DualShock controller for portable gaming
  5. Exclusive maps/accessories for Remote Play
  6. Customizable button layout
  7. Connecting other controllers (Xbox) and mouse/keyboard
  8. Offline Remote Play
  9. PS1 and PS2 games
  10. Parental controls to allow for multiple users to use Remote Play at the same time.

Last edited:
Suits usually don't have a clue, mate. That's just used car salesman talk and doesn't mean anything either way.
In the very least you can say Yoshida’s description doesn’t match up with targeting a $399 price point and 8-9 TF‘s.

EDIT - He’s saying the PS5 is not for everyone.

Last edited:

darkinstinct

So 36 CUs, exactly like Pro CUs, which points to BC.

Then 2ghz (possibly PS5 native or max clock stress test), 911mhz (Pro speed) and 800mhz (PS4 speed). All these to test BC and compatibility.

So pray tell, how does this prove PS5 is limited to 36 CUs? Everything about this points to BC tests.

The test said 36 CU, full chip. As in a full chip. As in no additional secret CUs to please fanboys.

R600

Banned
So 36 CUs, exactly like Pro CUs, which points to BC.

Then 2ghz (possibly PS5 native or max clock stress test), 911mhz (Pro speed) and 800mhz (PS4 speed). All these to test BC and compatibility.

So pray tell, how does this prove PS5 is limited to 36 CUs? Everything about this points to BC tests.
Because it says "full chip results" on native Excel table in column showing cache for 18WGP configuration.

1rf5klM.jpg

darkinstinct

Oh boy, I can smell the panic at Sony. They desperately want to get rid of the "PS5 at 12 TF" rumors but they have no chance against their own fans who just want to believe. They will crucify Sony for that 9.2 TF console when it was really only in their head. At this point I fully expect Sony to tweet "PS5 is not 12" just to calm everything down. Which will then be taken as confirmation that it's 13 and the whole fun starts again. :D

HawarMiran

Banned
Oh boy, I can smell the panic at Sony. They desperately want to get rid of the "PS5 at 12 TF" rumors but they have no chance against their own fans who just want to believe. They will crucify Sony for that 9.2 TF console when it was really only in their head. At this point I fully expect Sony to tweet "PS5 is not 12" just to calm everything down. Which will then be taken as confirmation that it's 13 and the whole fun starts again. :D
Stop acting like you know shit. We don't know anything and you don't know anything. End of story.

Audiophile

An 11.5tf PS5 machine with a faster HDD, possible better memory and RT would bridge them gap in performance and be on par with a 12tf machine.

So yes, they could. Tf are part of the picture, not the whole picture.

Not to mention that the slightly more narrow and fast one may have an advantage in relative fillrate / front-end saturation in lieu of a tiny bit of raw compute, further closing the gap.

If their is RT functionality built into the Texture Units (like AMD's patents) and it is the basis of RT in both, I wonder if they are more performant with clockspeed or parallelism.

gaming_noob

Need to dig a bigger grave. PS5 will be 14 TF at $399 while XSX is 12 TF at $599.

Bonus: Lockhart at 4TF will be $499

Last edited:

Banned
Stop acting like you know shit. We don't know anything and you don't know anything. End of story.

we know AMD has a chip in development with 36 active CUs that is being developed for Sony with revisions found up until mid last year

Last edited:

darkinstinct

In the very least you can say Yoshida’s description doesn’t match up with targeting a $399 price point and 8-9 TF‘s.

EDIT - He’s saying the PS5 is not for everyone.

I mean clearly a 9.2 TF PS5 would not be for HGamer, right? He could also just mean that for people looking for the ultimate gaming experience, that's not what PS5 will be. It really could mean anything.

darkinstinct

But I do know. It says so in the Github leak. Which was true enough for AMD to send lawyers with takedown notices to people who copied it to their Google Drive. But this thread is becoming too toxic for my liking, so I will do the smart thing and walk away. Some of you are just crazy.

Last edited:

B_Boss

Username: tflopsmatter

..yeah, something told me you'd disagree :LOL:

Yeah, after your very thoughtful and informative post concerning TF’s and understanding tech terms vs marketing, etc, anyone who’s still pushing TF’s ought to really think before they start waving that “TF Flag” around. They’re a part of the story, not the story.

Either way, I meant to post “yeah username checks out” 🤣.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
still think PS5 and SeX will be really close in power, but for every day that passes and Sony says nothing, it'll be this:

Lockhart in 2021 4-6tf $300
PS5 9.2tf $400
SeX 12tf $500

or

Lockhart in 2021 4-6tf $400
PS5 9.2tf $500
SeX 12tf $600

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Not to mention that the slightly more narrow and fast one may have an advantage in relative fillrate / front-end saturation in lieu of a tiny bit of raw compute, further closing the gap.

If their is RT functionality built into the Texture Units (like AMD's patents) and it is the basis of RT in both, I wonder if they are more performant with clockspeed or parallelism.

Absolutely possible, yes. The trouble is the narrow minded will just think that to be the best you need a high tf count, and that isn’t the whole picture, never was and never will be.

Sony could quite easily lead the front as the most balanced, high performing system even with slightly less tf count.

But instead this won’t be entertained, because certain people need it to be the best in EVERY way, even when it doesn’t actually matter or make sense.

In short, the funny thing is, people want it so badly to be high in flops even though that won’t make much sense, and are giving up the possibility of it being lower flops but over all BETTER.

Not 9tf, that’s all bullshit though. I’m still firmly in 10.5-11.5 and wouldn’t be surprised at all of it hits that 11.5 mark.

Last edited:

Banned
Besides that what do you know? You work at Sony? Give me dem insides ma boy

what do you mean besides that?
AMD is developing an APU with Zen2 cores and RDNA1 gpu cores... for Sony... that is in active development... that is also ready to emulate PS4/pro specs, and it does so just how cerny and sony patented it...

that is some seriously hard evidence.
of course one can come up with limitless ideas as to how this is not the PS5's APU but meant for some weird unknown other purpose that noone has heard about yet.

OR it could be for a product that could use a chip like that, a product we know of and the only product we know of that Sony could use this APU in.

well what is more likely here?

we know AMD has a chip in development with 36 active CUs that is being developed for Sony with revisions found up until mid last year

This pure Speculation on my end.

We know AMD was testing a chip for backwards compatibility for PS4 and PS4 Pro. We Know that Chip being Tested Was 36CU.

We don’t know if that was a production issue run chip for The PS5. I believe that Chip to be a test Chip ran in small batches to make sure Backwards Compatibility with RDNA Tech and GCN Tech was Reliable. So it was Just Testing Backward Compatibles and May be some low end RT tests for RT Cores.

I Highly doubt the PS5 will be a 36CU GPU.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
This guy Gavin Stevens Gavin Stevens has been preaching about 11.5tf from Sony which lines up with HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 numbers. But people don't listen & kept fighting. Smh 🤦

Mate, people need to make their own minds up based on what they believe, and EVERYBODY is entitled to their own beliefs.

I just hope that at some point we ALL, as a collective, start using our heads just a little bit more, rather than instantly jumping into fight mode as soon as they hear something they dont want to hear. It’s embarrassing man.

Last edited:

Banned
This pure Speculation on my end.

We know AMD was testing a chip for backwards compatibility for PS4 and PS4 Pro. We Know that Chip being Tested Was 36CU.

We don’t know if that was a production issue run chip for The PS5. I believe that Chip to be a test Chip ran in small batches to make sure Backwards Compatibility with RDNA Tech and GCN Tech was Reliable. So it was Just Testing Backward Compatibles and May be some low end RT tests for RT Cores.

I Highly doubt the PS5 will be a 36CU GPU.

and why did this test chip get multiple revisions? with very recent revisions found?

nah, this chip is developed to be used by sony in a piece of consumer hardware.
and that chip is complete as we saw it.

Last edited:
Well, in terms of guys like TimDog, they do seem to like trolling on Twitter, but they do have some good perspectives on conversations from what I've seen as well. But that's one person. I don't even know who Jez is, and I dont keep up with MisterXmedia that much because, again, it's Twitter crap. Twitter in general is a cesspool. Dealer might rib PS fans at times but I've seen them talk positively of Sony and PS games on their streams as well, same with people like Boomstick. They have their preferences, but their digs at PS fans are usually those who show up in chats being intentionally toxic from what I've seen. Not really any different from PS guys like FoxyUK and MGB who call out Xbox fanboys who are toxic in their chats and comment sections. Nothing wrong with addressing fanboys when they're actually being toxic imho.

When you've got communities as large as Sony's or MS's, you're bound to have some people who don't always engage in the best behavior who nonetheless are pretty well-known to people. The fact they're rather well-known means that, yes, you're going to have individuals from Sony and MS who intercct with them from time to time, but that doesn't mean they condone the less savory behavior. It's just the way console fandoms are.

Do I WISH people as a whole were more mature about this stuff? Of course! But realistically I can never expect literally everyone in a fanbase to act to what I'd call an ideal standard, and it wouldn't be fair of me to do so, either. Which means it's unrealistic for me to punish an entire fanbase simply because of a few people in it who may act a fool at times, regardless how well-known they are. Because in any fanbase, for every person relatively well-known who acts a fool, you can name another one who doesn't, so why focus on the former time and time again?

And keep in mind some of us aren't even exclusively fans of one brand, but multiple ones. So for example, I like Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo, all for many reasons. Some of those are similar, others are different, but I don't think I"m alone in saying that I'm overall a fan of all 3. In fact, the majority of gamers would say the same, perhaps having a slight preference for one or the other but not to the extent of outright disliking the other brand(s). So just because I'm here in this conversation between us standing up for the Xbox fanbase, don't mistake as me ONLY willing to stand up for them or as some attack against the Sony fanbase, because as already said I like a lot of Sony's stuff too.

I'm just against blatant generalizing and shaming of entire fanbases because of a few people in them, some of whom are probably misunderstood. Like here for example, I see a lot of people try dumping on @SenjutsuSage , even calling them an Xbox shill or such, but that's not what I really see when I read their posts. He just seems like a guy who has a preference for the brand, but I don't see them outright attacking Sony or being toxic towards the brand and its fanbase. Or take someone like @Bo_Hazem , who's openly admitted to having a strong preference for Sony and PS. We might disagree on some things here and there but we agree on others, and I don't see him ever being toxic or outright negative towards Xbox or its fans. Yeah, maybe a few friendly jokes here or there, but there's nothing wrong with that (same with the other way around, too). I didn't mention them to imply there are Xbox people who go after them or anything (I'd hope not and if some have, they should stop), just illustrating how someone who might have a strong preference for a brand can be misinterpreted as being toxic towards the other, when that isn't always the case.

Hell, even I have been guilty of misunderstanding prominent people who prefer a certain brand. Foxy UK for instance, I don't think they've ever really been toxic or such, even if they definitely have a preference that leans Sony and PS. On the flipside, you now have pro-PS guys like CrapGamer who are pretty much the very definition of being a toxic fanboy....still wouldn't be fair to claim that's representative of the entire PS community now would it?

Like i've said, some of these individuals are the most vocal ones on social network and some of their actions surely are remembered and recorded. You have Mooch, which has harassed new PS4 buyers at Gamestop at cash register during 2013, and even he had recorded it. It was so awful to watch. Really. Thankfully, he stopped doing that. Regarding Crapgamer and MGB, they surely aren't Pro PS. They literally were one of the loudest individuals in Xbox community. But after awful 1st party games provided by MS ( i'm surely remember MGB's video about Crackdown 3 - , he changed side since then ), they've changed side, surely temporarily. Crapgamer...He goes how the wind blows. I'm sure he will return to Xbox community sooner or later.

Last edited:

R600

Banned
This guy Gavin Stevens Gavin Stevens has been preaching about 11.5tf from Sony which lines up with HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 numbers. But people don't listen & kept fighting. Smh 🤦
But it doesnt line up with Osiris, Klee and Tommy's number.

So, on one side you have Github/DF, on another you have Heisenberg/Odium and on completely different side you have Klee/Osiris/Tommy.

So who is right? Because Sony fans trust everyone bar DF/Github, but even the other two do not match with eachother. Hence = trusting hard numbers that line up with other leaks (Flute) and are actually pulled from Internet on AMDs request (you know, guys who actually create those APUs for Sony and MS).

HawarMiran

Banned
what do you mean besides that?
AMD is developing an APU with Zen2 cores and RDNA1 gpu cores... for Sony... that is in active development... that is also ready to emulate PS4/pro specs, and it does so just how cerny and sony patented it...

that is some seriously hard evidence.
of course one can come up with limitless ideas as to how this is not the PS5's APU but meant for some weird unknown other purpose that noone has heard about yet.

OR it could be for a product that could use a chip like that, a product we know of and the only product we know of that Sony could use this APU in.

well what is more likely here?
3 out of 4 generations Sony didn't dissapoint with their product. So I'll just wait and see what they have to say about THEIR 5th generation, instead of listening to some randos on and internet forum because "MUHHHHHH GITHUB LEAK"

Edit: for me even 4 out of 4 generations because PS3 had great games. for people who care more about 3rd Party it probably was dissapointing

Last edited:
any true gamer wants both consoles to do well. Both in terms of sales and power. Healthy competition is good for the industry. With Nintendo effectively releasing handhelds that are as powerful as 2005 consoles they are as irrelevant as a console maker can be to hardcore gamers. We need both Sony and ms to push each other.

A 9 tflops console that has to handle ray tracing, destruction and other physics heavy effects jaguar cpus didn't allow this gen is going to crumble under the stress of running these games at 4k60.

Every Xbox fan knows this. Their agenda is so obvious and yet they think they are being cute.

Not every game is going to be 4K60 next gen, even some launch titles will not hit that. 4K60 will always come down to game design and developer priorities, plus the genre. I.e a fighting game needs to be 60FPS no matter what so there is only but so much they can push in effects vs. a cinematic story-driven game that might aim for peak 30FPS.

Physics calculations are mainly handled through the CPU and both systems will have the exact same CPUs with same architectures, cache hierarchies and amounts, and features. One might be a few megahertz faster than the other but that's about it.

Healthy competition is not dependent on competitor systems being equal in power in all aspects. If that were so, the 6th gen would be a very unhealthy generation because there were things Gamecube and Xbox did that ran circles around PS2 (figuratively speaking), yet they weren't SO advanced so as to be considered generational leaps. Not only that but many people consider 6th gen a golden gen for gaming, mainly because of PS2 which lead clear and away ahead its competitors.

That goes to show you that you don't need systems to be exactly similar to each other in all areas to have true competition, because competition is about more than just raw power. Hell, you don't even need the systems to be the same in terms of sales to have genuine competition, again look at the PS2 vs. everyone else that gen, or PS1 vs. N64 and Saturn. At some point you just have to accept that sometimes a system gets a concoction of perfect storms mixed together that it pulls ahead clearly in sales, and it may or may not be the most powerful system that generation (in all or even most technical areas).

Competitors being exactly equal in power and sales is not a requirement for true competition, otherwise you are denying the free market of its part in the equation. But is it okay to hope competitors are as close as possible in those areas? Of course it is.

That said, those are feelings. Feelings and facts aren't the same thing.

Also strongly disagreed about Nintendo; they still make some of the best games in the industry, bar none. And for people not constantly obsessed with photorealism, they have some of the best-looking games in the industry too, with strong, focused art styles that have clearly benefited from graphical advancements.

Yeah, after your very thoughtful and informative post concerning TF’s and understanding tech terms vs marketing, etc, anyone who’s still pushing TF’s ought to really think before they start waving that “TF Flag” around. They’re a part of the story, not the story.

Either way, I meant to post “yeah username checks out” 🤣.

Teraflops really have become the "bit-wars" of modern times. I guess the teraflop-wars are a bit less dumb.

Slightly.

Last edited:

Banned
3 out of 4 generations Sony didn't dissapoint with their product. So I'll just wait and see what they have to say about THEIR 5th generation, instead of listening to some randos on and internet forum because "MUHHHHHH GITHUB LEAK"

???? what the fuck is that even supposed to mean?

dissapoint with their product? no sane person would be disappointed by a 9.2TF RDNA console with Zen2 cpu cores and raytracing hardware.

just because there is a even more high end console coming that will also be more expensive people would be disappointed? why?

I really don't get why people would be upset by this.
especially considering that last gen both consoles were mediocre systems with 2 year old low budget GPUs and god damn mobile cpu cores.

in fact I fully expected both consoles to reach a maximum of 10TF and thought that this was pretty damn good if true.
AS DID MANY on this thread just a few weeks ago.
only after Microsoft confirmed 12TF did the conversation suddenly shift to "anything below 12 would be shit"

Last edited:
and why did this test chip get multiple revisions? with very recent revisions found?

nah, this chip is developed to be used by sony in a piece of consumer hardware.
and that chip is complete as we saw it.

Could be to work on the RT Cores. To Fix Issues with RDNA compatibility with old GCN code.

Could have been There was Issues with Timing or instruction delays in the GPU Pipeline.

Could have been testing to some custom tweaks Sony wanted in the PS5.

All these reason can be why there was revisions.

Also for there to be so many Revisions also tells you that wasn’t a Full Production Chip Set. It tells you there was a lot of Development and testing still going on.

I assume maybe Sony was working on more custom design for PS5 with AMD. Would explain a lot.

While Microsoft has custom chip..maybe not as custom or exotic design as Sony’s goal.

Sony’s has a History Of Doing custom changes to GPU and CPU. At the time of the PS4 Realease the extra Ace Units add to the GPU was New and Exotic.

Last edited:

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
This thread reeks of fanboys beating off to their chosen brand. Instead of playing the dick measuring game, why don't you just wait and see when both systems has been revealed. I never understood people being dedicated to a brand. Just pick the better machine or the machine that has more games that you like.

M-V2

So, on one side you have Github/DF, on another you have Heisenberg/Odium and on completely different side you have Klee/Osiris/Tommy.

So who is right? Because Sony fans trust everyone bar DF/Github, but even the other two do not match with eachother. Hence = trusting hard numbers that line up with other leaks (Flute) and are actually pulled from Internet on AMDs request (you know, guys who actually create those APUs for Sony and MS).
You can't prove yourself right based on the GitHub leak, which is "out of context" according to what digital foundry said, nor team 12-13tf can prove themselves. All we can do is speculate instead of fighting.

My speculation is that the ps5 is going to be 11-12tf, if I'm wrong so be it, but for people like you it's gonna be so bad when they get proved otherwise.

All Digital Foundry has said about the PS5 was that the Guthub info was legit but didn’t tell the whole story.

lynux3

I think Benji said close to 13TF dev kits (which were, I think Vega based).

In any case, NovaMombasa also posted PS5 specs and said it was delayed "maybe because of BC".

In any case, Richard said in last DF video that IO Interactive is testing their game on 9.2TF GPU profile. Hmm... (I didnt listen to it, it was posted on Ree)

Benji said that particular piece of information did not come from a reliable source and even joked that it would be funny if it were true. You suggesting that it's Vega is even more unreliable so I think it's safe to not to make assumptions about that tweet or even consider it anything at all.

Regarding what Richard said it sounds more like an misinterpretation of what is being said. I don't see anywhere that Io Interactive has been testing a 9.2TF GPU profile... Only profile they pulled was for Xbox One X for their testing... Unless I'm missing something? Only thing I've heard from Io Interactive recently is about PS5's ray tracing capabilities.

Last edited:

HawarMiran

Banned
???? what the fuck is that even supposed to mean?

dissapoint with their product? no sane person would be disappointed by a 9.2TF RDNA console with Zen2 cpu cores and raytracing hardware.

just because there is a even more high end console coming that will also be more expensive people would be disappointed? why?

I really don't get why people would be upset by this.
especially considering that last gen both consoles were mediocre systems with 2 year old low budget GPUs and god damn mobile cpu cores.

in fact I fully expected both consoles to reach a maximum of 10TF and thought that this was pretty damn good if true.
AS DID MANY on this thread just a few weeks ago.
only after Microsoft confirmed 12TF did the conversation suddenly shift to "anything below 12 would be shit"
Where did I say anything below 12 would be shit? I think you don't know who you are talking to anymore. Everything below 10 is unacceptable for me. That is my stance right now. That can change with the games they deliver. I don't give a fuck about Xbox I don't even compare Playstation to their console. I just want a console above 10 TF. And you guys are wishing so hard for a 9TF PS5, as if a better PS5 would take anything away from your 12 TF

-Jay-Rod-

Banned
399$ for 9TF machine is very good deal. PS5 not must be more/this same powerfull like XSX to sell very well. Why Sony fans dont understand this??.
I don’t think a 9TF machine is capable of fully supporting 8K I think we forgetting GameStop pretty much confirm the ps5 is on part with the Xbox series X

Banned
Where did I say anything below 12 would be shit? I think you don't know who you are talking to anymore. Everything below 10 is unacceptable for me. That is my stance right now. That can change with the games they deliver. I don't give a fuck about Xbox I don't even compare Playstation to their console. I just want a console above 10 TF. And you guys are wishing so hard for a 9TF PS5, as if a better PS5 would take anything away from your 12 TF

noone is wishing for it, its is just backed up by factual evidence.

and just a few weeks back noone believed the SX could ever be 12TF RDNA2, because that would be ridiculous for a console.

everyone was saying 2x One X means around 9.x TF RDNA1

and guess where we found a chip that could deliver 12TF... an RDNA2 chip to be exact? where? on the same damn batch of GitHub leaks.

and that chip had way less evidence that it's the SX's chip because we didn't have all the back compat stuff that 9.2TF chip also was tested with.

so it was actually very speculative to say that the SX is 12TF RDNA2 based solely on that leak. but it came to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom