• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tommy Fisher said he'd do a self ban if there was no PS5 announcement in February, a guarantee he made. I doubt he'll ban himself tommorow. If he doesn't follow through with that promise, not to mention many bits of info he's got wrong, ill have a hard time understanding why anymore puts much faith in his "insider" info.

He isn't the only insider who said that PS5 reveal will be in Feb. I'm pretty sure corona outbreak forced Sony to change some plans. Well, GDC delay decision surely puts some weight on that

I think Jason Schreier was one of them who said Sony ditched a 2019 release for a better PS5.

I thought he said the 2019 plans were dropped because of PS4 sales momentum? PS4 sales were stronger than expected in 2018 (in fact 2018 was PS4's best year for sales up to that point and might still be, especially considering GOW4 and Spider-Man came out that year), I believe even Sony had something of an official statement mentioning this (I don't have a source on that however).

If anything I'd assume the delay was just to not eat into PS4 sales since the tail end drop for sales wasn't going to be as bad in 2019 as their internal projections initially figured. Therefore I don't think the chief reason to delay PS5 was to make a "better system". Probably make a few alterations here and there, but possibly not anything radically different from what they had already spent years planning out beforehand.

Further refinements to PS5 specifications and features would naturally come with a delay, but I don't think it's honestly anything radically different to what we've been persistently seeing come forth so far in terms of benchmarks and leaks that are reaffirmed (however much) by those benchmarks. I also highly doubt any of MS's plans would've seriously influenced or panicked Sony into doing complete redesigns, or being completely reactionary. They've had a performance target and have mostly stuck with it, same as MS, because they have a vision.

alex_m

Neo Member
Looking at the date (jan 15, 2019), its curious how this fella got right.

Studios:

IO: Rumor by Klorbille, never happened

Asobo: Strong indications due to their historic partnership with Microsoft (Almost all their acquisitions were on that), at E3 2019 FS 2020 was revealed and they are the developer.

Farm 51: Last year it was reported that XGS visited Poland and that this studio was considered a candidate

Platinum Games: According to some sources, there was a proposal, but they rejected because they wanted to be independent, this was right after it was announced that Tencent had invested on them as they wanted to keep independence.

Hardware:

Confirmed on Xbox X name and being 12TF, plus DXR and MS AI. Not to mention as it was already reinforced yesterday, it will have full compability with Xbox One and OG and 360 title list will continue to grow. All generations in one console as it was marketed.

Services:

Gamepass Ultimate, Gamepass PC and Xcloud at E3 2019, Gamepass Ultimate became popular and Xcloud appears to be taking on lead of Google Stadia (LOL).

Titles:

Halo Infinite being a crossgen launch title, Bleeding Edge and Forza 8 crossgen as stated by Microsoft plan to keep the exclusives for the first two years on both consoles. Notice, Halo Infinite wasn't confirmed as a launch title until E3 2019, and Bleeding Edge wasn't revealed until that event, althrough it will be first released on Xbox One and PC.

What if it's someone from Microsoft trying to spread rumors about PS5 look real, trough leaking concrete info about XBox.

Microsoft are known for their dirty FUD tactics. see: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty,_and_doubt

9.2 TF, RDNA 1 and subpar hardware RT compared to RDNA 2 PC cards & Xbox Series X (or none at all) seems like the worst-case scenario for PS5.

Unless it's the same as the above, but 8.4 TF.

ethomaz

Banned
How are you guys preparing for next gen?
I stocked up on loads of free $5 amazon gift cards to splurge out once slim models release. ALready have a $200 amazon balance.
No one should be paying their hard-earned money for gaming.
Well I have a credit card and so it will buy PS5 day one to me... after that I just pay the bill like every month.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
Some random Youtuber said 'Bryttany Messina', allegedly a former Taldren/Activision employee wrote in a chat (i'm guessing a Youtube chat?). It's being repeated often by Reddit. That's pretty much the extent of it:

original:

The best part of that youtube vid was the top comment:

Thanks.

List is mehhh considering theres clowns like Tidux, Fischer, and Foxy on there.

The Brittany comment is interesting tho. Don't see this turning out tho. I'd imagine if they had 14 tf they'd be banging on their chest screaming it everywhere.

They would completely shutdown ms by announcing that right after.

HawarMiran

Banned
Some random Youtuber said 'Bryttany Messina', allegedly a former Taldren/Activision employee wrote in a chat (i'm guessing a Youtube chat?). It's being repeated often by Reddit. That's pretty much the extent of it:

original:

The best part of that youtube vid was the top comment:

that Marlon guy said he knows Klee in that video :pie_thinking:

TLZ

Banned

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

HarryKS

The most interesting Pastebin leak about the PS5 is the one with no mention of the Teraflops or numbers in general. I don't understand what that person is trying to say about the SSD and how it works, I don't have the know-how to know if it's correct or not, but the last part, about building a console that focuses on the things a streaming device can't accomplish; instant feedback and fluidity, makes so, so, so, so much sense.

husomc

This is what I don’t understand. SONY can simply give details to Game Informer, Wired, Digital Foundry, etc. Don’t see how the Corona virus impacts that? Or use Twitter?

When Sony announces the details of the PS5 ppl will go insane and run around everywhere throwing caution to the wind, thus increasing COVID-19 spread by about 100%. Sony could single handedly spread this virus to the whole world. :messenger_beaming: and I'm saying this with a straight face. So basically Sony is doing a public service by delaying the reveal.

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
When Sony announces the details of the PS5 ppl will go insane and run around everywhere throwing caution to the wind, thus increasing COVID-19 spread by about 100%. Sony could single handedly spread this virus to the whole world. :messenger_beaming: and I'm saying this with a straight face. So basically Sony is doing a public service by delaying the reveal.
Be careful putting this idea out there. I can see the headlines now "GAMING CAUSES PANDEMIC?!?!" Especially in an election year in the US

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Well, in terms of guys like TimDog, they do seem to like trolling on Twitter, but they do have some good perspectives on conversations from what I've seen as well. But that's one person. I don't even know who Jez is, and I dont keep up with MisterXmedia that much because, again, it's Twitter crap. Twitter in general is a cesspool. Dealer might rib PS fans at times but I've seen them talk positively of Sony and PS games on their streams as well, same with people like Boomstick. They have their preferences, but their digs at PS fans are usually those who show up in chats being intentionally toxic from what I've seen. Not really any different from PS guys like FoxyUK and MGB who call out Xbox fanboys who are toxic in their chats and comment sections. Nothing wrong with addressing fanboys when they're actually being toxic imho.

When you've got communities as large as Sony's or MS's, you're bound to have some people who don't always engage in the best behavior who nonetheless are pretty well-known to people. The fact they're rather well-known means that, yes, you're going to have individuals from Sony and MS who intercct with them from time to time, but that doesn't mean they condone the less savory behavior. It's just the way console fandoms are.

Do I WISH people as a whole were more mature about this stuff? Of course! But realistically I can never expect literally everyone in a fanbase to act to what I'd call an ideal standard, and it wouldn't be fair of me to do so, either. Which means it's unrealistic for me to punish an entire fanbase simply because of a few people in it who may act a fool at times, regardless how well-known they are. Because in any fanbase, for every person relatively well-known who acts a fool, you can name another one who doesn't, so why focus on the former time and time again?

And keep in mind some of us aren't even exclusively fans of one brand, but multiple ones. So for example, I like Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo, all for many reasons. Some of those are similar, others are different, but I don't think I"m alone in saying that I'm overall a fan of all 3. In fact, the majority of gamers would say the same, perhaps having a slight preference for one or the other but not to the extent of outright disliking the other brand(s). So just because I'm here in this conversation between us standing up for the Xbox fanbase, don't mistake as me ONLY willing to stand up for them or as some attack against the Sony fanbase, because as already said I like a lot of Sony's stuff too.

I'm just against blatant generalizing and shaming of entire fanbases because of a few people in them, some of whom are probably misunderstood. Like here for example, I see a lot of people try dumping on @SenjutsuSage , even calling them an Xbox shill or such, but that's not what I really see when I read their posts. He just seems like a guy who has a preference for the brand, but I don't see them outright attacking Sony or being toxic towards the brand and its fanbase. Or take someone like Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem , who's openly admitted to having a strong preference for Sony and PS. We might disagree on some things here and there but we agree on others, and I don't see him ever being toxic or outright negative towards Xbox or its fans. Yeah, maybe a few friendly jokes here or there, but there's nothing wrong with that (same with the other way around, too). I didn't mention them to imply there are Xbox people who go after them or anything (I'd hope not and if some have, they should stop), just illustrating how someone who might have a strong preference for a brand can be misinterpreted as being toxic towards the other, when that isn't always the case.

Hell, even I have been guilty of misunderstanding prominent people who prefer a certain brand. Foxy UK for instance, I don't think they've ever really been toxic or such, even if they definitely have a preference that leans Sony and PS. On the flipside, you now have pro-PS guys like CrapGamer who are pretty much the very definition of being a toxic fanboy....still wouldn't be fair to claim that's representative of the entire PS community now would it?

Actually it'll be pretty boring without xbox fans. As you said, it's only a problem when you're toxic. I take xbox fans jokes and laugh, and I hope mines are welcome as well as I intend only to break tensions sometimes when I feel it heating up. As you said, I'm a Sony-only fan might as well welcome Nintendo because I hated Microsoft years before xbox being a thing, but were very happy to have it around.

Could anyone here believe that if PS5 end up being 11-13TF that would be the case if Sony was enjoying a monopoly? No, most likely 9TF would be the max and probably released this year as well. I as a Sony fan need MS to keep it in check, but wouldn't mind xbox brand dying if SEGA or Nintendo step up with a competitive console that I will absolutely buy. I'm sincere about my preference so no one calls me out as a liar, I won't touch Xbox even if the magain is 3TF and would rather spend 2-4x its price to get a stronger card on my PC that I've already paid $257 for that shit system Windows 10 Pro. If I ever see Chrome OS or Harmony OS come to the game with full support from at least DaVinci Resolve I would jump the ship immediately.

3r0wvf.jpg

hemo memo

Gold Member

Quite the opposite. If Sony announce the reveal, people would stay at home to watch and that would lower the risk of going outside and getting infected.

Koopatrol

I could see a March 3rd Wired article or something that ends with a State of Play announcement for the end of the week. I feel like Sony did a 3 article PR deal with Wired.

EDIT: To desperately grasp at more straws, Wired's headquarters is located in San Francisco, where Giant Bomb is based out of. So maybe it's possible that's how some of them heard of some rumblings. Or Rorie just misspeaking as usual (more likely).

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I could see a March 3rd Wired article or something that ends with a State of Play announcement for the end of the week. I feel like Sony did a 3 article PR deal with Wired.

EDIT: To desperately grasp at more straws, Wired's headquarters is located in San Francisco, where Giant Bomb is based out of. So maybe it's possible that's how some of them heard of some rumblings. Or Rorie just misspeaking as usual (more likely).
I find it weird Sony does PS5 articles with Wired. You’d think it would be widespread news across game sites or if they had to pick one, choose a dedicated game site.

it would be like Coke coming out with a new flavour and instead of getting Walmart or a huge grocery chain to plug it, they instead choose a gas station.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I find it weird Sony does PS5 articles with Wired. You’d think it would be widespread news across game sites or if they had to pick one, choose a dedicated game site.

it would be like Coke coming out with a new flavour and instead of getting Walmart or a huge grocery chain to plug it, they instead choose a gas station.

Wired is pretty big, they’ve been in publication since 1993 and have spinoffs in the UK and Europe.

The other sites will just pick up the stories anyhow. So they have both print and digital covered.

squarealex

Rumors about Sony releasing two consoles going around

Check out my line or argumentation about this rumor. I think the whole 9.2 TF/36CU Github leaks thing could make sense

Why create a new Pro model if PS5 is BC (with, I hope Boost mode for PS4 Pro games)
That don't make sense.

Last edited:

Koopatrol

Lmao. Yeah, I think Sony just wanted to do something new and decided to set up a deal with Wired. They probably picked Wired based off of close proximity to SIE's headquarters, since the guy seems to have been hands on with the PS5. There are probably a lot of tech magazines based in San Francisco, but I'm not sure of gaming specific ones. I don't really follow gaming journalism enough anyway.

He didn't say that. He said: "the games will be more impressive than the numbers".
To be fair by the time these consoles are out 12 TF won't look that hot.

LOL! You’re trolling at this point?! Peoples jaws dropped when they saw games like last of us 2, FF VII remake, and plenty more games on a 1.84TF machine and you’re here saying 12TFs in about 9 months will somehow be redundant??

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom