• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
No they are not virtually on par if 13 TFLOPS for PS5 is true. PS5 leads in every way except for CPU speed. Both are powerful, but not on par. The question is will this lead make a difference in performance, or will it not matter because the new generation has passed graphical barriers and thresholds. The same way we dont care about bits and polygons per second anymore.
If it's only one TF of difference, as stated by Osiris and others, it wouldn't matter, it's a difference of like 8% in power and we don't have confirmations about all the other specs.

OH lawddddd the explosions that will happen!! So many happy fans there sill be but so many distraught, embarrassed and depressed Haters.

if 13 tflop for ps5 is true, the power narrative for Microsoft is lost, and i am not sure how they will make up for it. not only will Sony have lead in graphics performance, but lead in new way of playing games such as haptic feedback, biometrics, VR etc.

Gudji

Actual physical.

Hopefully it's not this picture (on the right):

ps5_devkit_crop.jpg

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I see your bias showing again. Stop projecting like every Sony fans believe in 13.8TF, there’s maybe 1 person. Whereas there’s probably over 20 xbox fans in this thread that believes the 9.2TF.
I think your guilty of the same. No where does he project nor insinuate that every Sony fan believes that. He is not responding to one person saying that it's 13 or higher. That number has been popping up a few times over the past 20 or so pages. Pot calling the kettle

DJ12

No they are not virtually on par if 13 TFLOPS for PS5 is true. PS5 leads in every way except for CPU speed. Both are powerful, but not on par. The question is will this lead make a difference in performance, or will it not matter because the new generation has passed graphical barriers and thresholds. The same way we dont care about bits and polygons per second anymore.
12 v 13 seems like a lot, as it's a bigger gap than ps5 to xbox one, but the higher the number the less a single tf will make a difference.

5700 to 5700xt is almost 2tflops difference and theres around 10fps between them.

Were are looking at maybe 5fps difference between xbox and ps5. If that.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
If new consoles are so close then multiplats will look the same (even if one or the other could produce slightly better graphics it still will be the same unlike previous gen) unless secret sauce will change that or ray tracing will be better on one or the other. Now, more interesting will be exclusives. Finally a competition on the market as it should always be.

So remember that as you increase power, you also increase what you can draw onscreen, however with each increase, let’s call it a “Step”, you will need exponentially more power to render “another step”.

This is why to some, 1tf is HUGE, because they see it as a raw number. But for there to be a massive perceivable difference, you are not looking at 1-2tf difference at this high a base range.

To the company who gets the highest number here, it doesn’t matter for anything other than bragging rights. As I said, if it’s 11 & 12 or 12 & 13, it doesn’t really matter that much, certainly not as much as many may be hoping.

Many people will think “Well, you could render TLOU on a 1.4 tf machine so the gap is huge!” But in reality, what you can do on these machines? It will make TLOU look like a Saturday morning cartoon.

It’s a good thing everybody is pushing the tech like this. The old consoles? Ugh, so damn under powered, even at the time.

Shit is about to get VERY exciting.

Dabaus

Banned
If it is 9.2TFlops I will apologize to them all.

But I am convinced the fact they always go back to gihub in light of 100% developers saying otherwise is why I believe their here to gain mindshare, and once they have their foot in the door of your mind, they will peddle another agenda thats aims to lure you to the MS ecosystem.
Again, I will apologize for being wrong and thinking they are astroturfers if they end up bring true, but the fact they keep forcing the discourse to Github shows theres some organizing behind the scenes between Era and here. Both sides have users pushing the same agenda about Github whenever theres any positive news around PS5.

I'm curious when I see the same tactics being used on multiple forums across the internet.

I wouldnt be surprised if MIcrosoft themselves were behind the scenes trying throw as much sand in the gears as possible. I have no doubt certian poets would have noproblem taking a bribe to spread misinformation and try to tamp down hype for a rival next gen system.

Dodkrake

Banned
So remember that as you increase power, you also increase what you can draw onscreen, however with each increase, let’s call it a “Step”, you will need exponentially more power to render “another step”.

This is why to some, 1tf is HUGE, because they see it as a raw number. But for there to be a massive perceivable difference, you are not looking at 1-2tf difference at this high a base range.

To the company who gets the highest number here, it doesn’t matter for anything other than bragging rights. As I said, if it’s 11 & 12 or 12 & 13, it doesn’t really matter that much, certainly not as much as many may be hoping.

Many people will think “Well, you could render TLOU on a 1.4 tf machine so the gap is huge!” But in reality, what you can do on these machines? It will make TLOU look like a Saturday morning cartoon.

It’s a good thing everybody is pushing the tech like this. The old consoles? Ugh, so damn under powered, even at the time.

Shit is about to get VERY exciting.

Can't wait for what MS and Sony game devs can do with their exclusives. I believe some people don't realise that having similarly powered consoles when compared to computers will provide us a bigger gain. Basically, one can infer that the jump from PS3 / XB 360 to PS4 / XB one will very likely be SMALLER than the new generational leap

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The latest reddit leak about RDNA 2.0 built exclusively for Microsoft is hilarious.

Apparently you get 35-50% more perfomarnce efficiency over RDNA 1.0 AND you over VRS which offers another 35% in performance improvements. Thats a total of 85% more per tflops compared to RDNA 1.

So not only is PS5 9.2 tflops. its 9.2 rdna 1.0 tflops and MS is 12 tflops * 85% = 22.2 rdna 1.0 tflops.

22.2 vs 9.2. Cerny to commit seppuku after dishonoring Ken Kutaragi's legacy. Phil will get a promotion and become the CFO of Microsoft. Sony will shutdown its console business and make handhelds for Nintendo.

the funniest thing is that this stuff is so outlandish that it should be debunked right away because no one has said the difference between two consoles is over 100%. they are virtually identical with small power differentials. And yet a 13 tflops ps5 rumor which amounts to a 9% difference is debunked immediately with such venom its like committing blasphemy.

DaGwaphics

I think a budget Ps5 or XSX option makes little sense as early adopters would want the high spec version anyway and it will be limited suppliy and holiday Xmas.

Only after 6 + months does the budget offering really affect sales IMO. and more so picking up casuals further down the road.

I'm one of the people that think reaching a bigger market with a value option isn't a bad idea. It's the same with desktop GPUs. You could eliminate all options but the high-end, that would remove the need for developers to make games that scale down, but it would also eliminate the largest portion of game buyers. The 1060s etc. may be a nuisance to devs, but they open the market to more buyers = more games sold and less risk.

If Xbox or PS want to release their own "1060" down the road, that just adds choice and may increase the total number of consoles sold, which is good for everyone as it might allow devs to take greater risks and green-light more projects.

A person who is making a game on this forum told you all a while ago XX.X no idea why people kept holding on to the number 9 so desperately. @BGs "True Leaks are always true at a certain time and circumstances." Single best quote in this thread in my humble opinion. Meltdowns and GLORIOUS facial hair incoming.

I have made a list of GitHub Delusionals to watch out. It's going to be great.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
Oh come oooon - why do you care? That virus messed everybodies schedules up for a lot of big companies. Have a heart man and quit trolling.

I am hearing this as well from a few contacts. They had some things planned, then had to scramble and regroup. Studios and platform makers are on code red right now. With that said, things will be coming, obviously.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Why are people bringing up Vega again. We already know it's Navi from the wired article.
vega is brought up to dismiss rumors from e3 2019 and Andrew Reiner and Colin Morirarty. The theory is that they were given vega tflops numbers from devs.

its the only way 13 tflops make sense to these guys. you see 12 tflops is the absolute limit of what you can put in a console because MS couldnt push it higher. if MS cant do it, surely Sony cant either.

The latest reddit leak about RDNA 2.0 built exclusively for Microsoft is hilarious.

Apparently you get 35-50% more perfomarnce efficiency over RDNA 1.0 AND you over VRS which offers another 35% in performance improvements. Thats a total of 85% more per tflops compared to RDNA 1.

So not only is PS5 9.2 tflops. its 9.2 rdna 1.0 tflops and MS is 12 tflops * 85% = 22.2 rdna 1.0 tflops.

22.2 vs 9.2. Cerny to commit seppuku after dishonoring Ken Kutaragi's legacy. Phil will get a promotion and become the CFO of Microsoft. Sony will shutdown its console business and make handhelds for Nintendo.

the funniest thing is that this stuff is so outlandish that it should be debunked right away because no one has said the difference between two consoles is over 100%. they are virtually identical with small power differentials. And yet a 13 tflops ps5 rumor which amounts to a 9% difference is debunked immediately with such venom its like committing blasphemy.

Well, both rumors have their grounds for ridiculousness. But yeah I'm not buying the RDNA2 rumor, either. To be fair, there were plenty of people believing the early rumors Navi was built for Sony, until the evidence of otherwise became too much to ignore.

I do wonder what rumors about PS5's RT solution are actually correct or close to being correct, then. Weren't most people claiming Sony's solution was proprietary? Why would they need AMD's RT in particular if that was the case? And what about the PowerVR RT speculation?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm going to help dig yourself out of this hole, remember when someone (I have no idea who) said they heard the machines were 11.6 and 12.4 sometime last year? That number was SPOT ON at that time with PSV having a slight lead but also having heat and sound issues. (Heat and sound are no longer issues) MS announces 12 TF hey look a .4 increase not bad at all they made it. BOTH are > 10 (said this last year) with PSV still having a slight advantage. (Said this last year also.) Both were aiming for a very high number (13) and from what I can gather one of them may have actually hit that number. (Its not MS) Either way BOTH consoles are stupidly powerful and still very close. 12 vs 12.4 or 13.2 (Within 1TF of the numbers with a . up in both cases not down) isn't bad at all.

This last part is completely my opinion
I think the main reason we arent hearing about Lockheart is because MS KNOW Sony is going all in for a premium console. Their is no PSV is the mid range system rhetoric to play at launching both simultaneously would cannibalize their XseX sales.
giphy.gif

Dodkrake

Banned
True... But what if those that think its 13.3 because they are going off old tech amd

But is 13.3tfs Vega the same as 9.2 Navi etc.... 13.3tfs was reported by Tom Warren back in June 2019.

Good point, but think about this, does it make more sense to use a custom RT solution based on RDNA2 or to use a chip that does not support RT and then have the hardware in a separate chip?

It's a matter of product design, it will both be cheaper to use the roadmapped solutions. Sony and MS both had access AMD's roadmap and worked with their engineers to implement HW based solutions. From a cost and development perspective using VEGA would be moronic.

Edit: From the doc above

CPU: x86-64-AMD Ryzen™ “Zen2", 8 cores/16 threads
GPU: AMD Radeon™ RDNA (Radeon DNA) -based graphics engine

Last edited:

LiquidRex

Good point, but think about this, does it make more sense to use a custom RT solution based on RDNA2 or to use a chip that does not support RT and then have the hardware in a separate chip?

It's a matter of product design, it will both be cheaper to use the roadmapped solutions. Sony and MS both had access AMD's roadmap and worked with their engineers to implement HW based solutions. From a cost and development perspective using VEGA would be moronic.
Fair enough.... Appreciate the reply 😊

DJ12

if 13 tflop for ps5 is true, the power narrative for Microsoft is lost, and i am not sure how they will make up for it. not only will Sony have lead in graphics performance, but lead in new way of playing games such as haptic feedback, biometrics, VR etc.
They never had the power narrative. Series X has been 'Our most powerful' since e3 . MS have known for a while its touch and go if they would be ahead hence they haven't really bragged about it.

Disco_

This last part is completely my opinion
I think the main reason we arent hearing about Lockheart is because MS KNOW Sony is going all in for a premium console. Their is no PSV is the mid range system rhetoric to play at launching both simultaneously would cannibalize their XseX sales.
That's the opposite of what I imagine MS is planning.
Isn't that the point of a volume sku? Just as a premium product is meant to fetch a premium. Lockhart would exist because MS want it to outsell ps5 while xsx fetches them a premium and gives them the power crown. That's why lockhart probably doesn't release if ps5 is cheaper than xsx as the value proposition of a $299-$349 ~4tf console isn't there if ps5 is $399.
If both ps5 and xsx are $499, lockhart makes sense.

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned
Fair enough.... Appreciate the reply 😊

Ah, no worries. I'm not a HW dev, but I work with software roadmaps, and trust me, while you see a lot of moronic stuff in any company, that would be beyond dumb. To give you an example, car update / release cycles are roughly 5 years, so a car released today has been in development for 5 years. AMD has had RDNA2 in house for at least 1 year, perhaps more, so Sony would have had access to their chips way in advance.

I may bite my tongue and have to admit I'm wrong, but if it comes to that, it's ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom