• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to help dig yourself out of this hole, remember when someone (I have no idea who) said they heard the machines were 11.6 and 12.4 sometime last year? That number was SPOT ON at that time with PSV having a slight lead but also having heat and sound issues. (Heat and sound are no longer issues) MS announces 12 TF hey look a .4 increase not bad at all they made it. BOTH are > 10 (said this last year) with PSV still having a slight advantage. (Said this last year also.) Both were aiming for a very high number (13) and from what I can gather one of them may have actually hit that number. (Its not MS) Either way BOTH consoles are stupidly powerful and still very close. 12 vs 12.4 or 13.2 (Within 1TF of the numbers with a . up in both cases not down) isn't bad at all.

This last part is completely my opinion
I think the main reason we arent hearing about Lockheart is because MS KNOW Sony is going all in for a premium console. Their is no PSV is the mid range system rhetoric to play at launching both simultaneously would cannibalize their XseX sales.

So 13 TF is 10% difference. Just like Klee said there is a possibility for that

1TF surely is a difference. Nobody can deny it.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 do you concur with Osiris and Tommy that PS5 is 13 TFLOPS? Do your sources have any new information in regards to updated developer kits, hardware revisions, etc?

I still hear Xbox is ahead in power and its looking more and more that I will eating those plates of crow handed out by OsirisBlack OsirisBlack and Tommy Fisher Tommy Fisher

I am curious if this new quiet PS DK has in fact leap frogged Xbox and the gamer in me is hopeful its true.

Hi everybody. Been following this thread for a while and all the buzz from the PS5 / Xbox has led me to finally create an account in Neogaf.

First and foremost, I am not an insider, nor I claim to know anything regarding the new generation of consoles. I'm merely providing a comment based on my software background. I currently work for a software developer not related to game dev, even though I have one contact in Rockstar (no, no inside info from them). What I do know is about software and hardware development cycles, and how things work in the background, so I do hope my experience provides some context to some of the supposed leaks we've been seeing for a while.

I'd like to outline what should be relatively simple to understand, but seems to be causing some confusion across a few members in this thread: Nothing is set in stone. Yes, it is true that most software and hardware will have long development cycles, especially the later, but one must consider a few things:

1. Lot's of testing takes place
2. Goals are more likely to change early in development / prototyping
3. Refinements occur during the whole development lifecycle.

With that said, I believe the GitHub leak is true, however it does not tell the full story. The unit listed in those leaks shows a 9.2TF chip with no Ray Tracing, however we know now that a) the PS5 has Ray Tracking and b) It's hardware based, per Sony's previous reveal. This, coupled with AMD's own product roadmap that lists HW RT being an RDNA2 capability, leads me to believe that the PS5 chip is not the same Sony is working with now.

I think it's way more likely that Sony was testing regression to clear up if HW emulation would be feasible and wasn't even testing the new RT implementation, with Oberon likely being a proof of concept. We were talking about a 1/2/3 ratio between CU and PS4/PS4pro/PS5, but it actually would make sense that some CU's were disabled and that the ration is 1/2/4.

Just my 2 cents, please don't fight over this stuff. It's consoles, games, and I'm sure we'll have two "equally" powered consoles that will provide us with amazing content for the next few years.
Makes so much sense to me. Appreciate your post!

Disco_

I think a budget Ps5 or XSX option makes little sense as early adopters would want the high spec version anyway and it will be limited suppliy and holiday Xmas.

Only after 6 + months does the budget offering really affect sales IMO. and more so picking up casuals further down the road.
Same principle when it comes to cars/electronics/etc. It's why low end trim levels of new car releases are few months behind. That premium trim model will sell easily to those who are looking to jump in day 1 so there's no reason to give them a choice of jumping at a lower price point and losing $$ on the sale.

Not everyone has the same sources and not all sources have access to the same hardware/information.

It is too late in the game to be saying that. This is the year of next gen console release. It is now or never, and every day its getting closer and closer to its final release. All insiders should be in the same ballpark.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Tommy Fisher has been criticized by some people, even I had my weak days, but it is obvious that he was telling the truth. Tommy Fisher is going to cover many mouths.

Tommy brought this upon himself. He refused to get vetted even after Mod of War asked him to get verified. Then continued to post for a month. Then promised to self ban after no news in february and didnt. he also screwed up when he posted the specs and listed L1 and L2 cache for the PS5 gpu which is only in GCN gpus, and we know the PS5 is based on Navi.

you are not going to get anyone to believe you if you refused to get verified and then go back on your word to self ban.

LiquidRex

Maybe Tommy Fisher has heard Sony has added ReRAM into the mix.... Dream on I know, but Sony were planned on releasing ReRAM to the Market this year.... 🤔

I've always said he was legit ppl just got side tracked by hating trolls lol

I was always a little skeptical of him especially once he posted the modified picture of the dev kits that had already leaked and saying the systems were going to be RDNA 2 (which I thought there was no way that was happening), but after seeing his prediction pretty much hit the nail on the head with the XSX specs I am now intrigued, it will be interesting if he is correct with the PS5 specs as well.

DrDamn

That's the opposite of what I imagine MS is planning.
Isn't that the point of a volume sku? Just as a premium product is meant to fetch a premium. Lockhart would exist because MS want it to outsell ps5 while xsx fetches them a premium and gives them the power crown. That's why lockhart probably doesn't release if ps5 is cheaper than xsx as the value proposition of a $299-$349 ~4tf console isn't there if ps5 is $399.
If both ps5 and xsx are $499, lockhart makes sense.

Agree with this. If Lockhart makes sense compared to XSX then it makes sense compared to a similar spec PS5. The situation where Lockhart doesn't make sense is if they can't get the price down far enough to differentiate it from the XSX and PS5.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I was expecting you lot to at least wait until it was officially announced.

Ps5 uses navi. The very first devkits were rumoured to have Vega back in 2018......
And I knew it was gonna come up when that tweet got posted.

Like I said before, maybe Sony stuck with their orig tf target, regardless of GCN or RDNA. To me, that sounds like a valid theory.

I also think early on when there were rumblings about the specs may sound disappointing, some insiders expected both to just do a straight conversion from GCN to RDNA, and go with whatever the tf conversion would have been. Instead of sticking to the tf amount.

If that makes any sense, lol. I think you get what I'm trying to say tho.

Last edited:

DJ12

I have made a list of GitHub Delusionals to watch out. It's going to be great.
Better send it to the red cross and get some MFs on suicide watch.
giphy.gif
13.something (6?) I believe Tommy said a while ago.

Time will tell if that's still the case.

Tommy brought this upon himself. He refused to get vetted even after Mod of War asked him to get verified. Then continued to post for a month. Then promised to self ban after no news in february and didnt. he also screwed up when he posted the specs and listed L1 and L2 cache for the PS5 gpu which is only in GCN gpus, and we know the PS5 is based on Navi.

you are not going to get anyone to believe you if you refused to get verified and then go back on your word to self ban.

I'm pretty hardware retarded but what are the Navi documents talking about when they're referring to L1 and L2 cache then?

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
And ima speak for most Sony fans on here. I'm not fixated on it being stronger because thts not a priority to me what I don't like are morons pushing a single digit tera flop narrative just because they want psv to be less powerful. I just want both consoles to be close and double digit tera flops and for the github club to be embarrassed for the nonsense they spewed. Thy spent too much energy trying to downplay the psv.

Zefros

Neo Member
XX.X

But he does, PAY ATTENTION!

A few questions.
1. Has Microsoft even mentioned the Lockheart?
2. If the divide in power is > than 10% does it matter which console is the most powerful?
3. Is everyone E ?

1. no, i don't belive they will release lockheart, atleast not anytime soon.

2. To fanboys yes, to me no. Less than 10% will put ps5 at around 11.2- 11.5 tf no? If it is the ps5 that is slightly weaker.

3. What does that mean 🤣?

Last edited:

Bludbro

Neo Member
Soooo was thinking. The dualshock 5 is gonna have a microphone in it as alluded to in one of the wired articles which suggests the patent for the integrated ai assistant is gonna make it into the ps5, right?
Well that means theres gonna be a fairly sophisticated voice recognition system built into the system at an OS level. Sure, it will be used for eg asking the system to search YouTube for help with your game. But also no reason developers wont be able to leverage the same tech for use in their actual games, without having to create complex software themselves to pull off speech recognition.
We've never had anything like this in a console before. Should allow for an unprecedented level of verbal interaction in games. Imagine that bit in the film Her where the solution to the puzzle in the game was telling the character to go f**k himself, ha, I'm sold.
Anyway its not gonna be for everyone but scope for some fresh stuff here. Maybe this is one of those 'differentiating factors' Ryan was talking about, might also lead to whole new genres like ea spoke of. 😎

SlimySnake

XSX is 12 and PS5 13. That's 10% difference. Surely in some cases 1TF difference should be visible in some scenes in games.
10% of 12 is 1.2.
13 is less than 13.2.

1 tflops difference should definitely be visible but in framerates and res only. we know from the last gen, both consoles had a 40% difference and yet they shared the same assets, same exact graphics settings, and same performance targets. rdr2 was identical with the only difference being resolution. a 10% resolution difference wont be visible to the naked eye.

10% of 12 is 1.2.
13 is less than 13.2.

1 tflops difference should definitely be visible but in framerates and res only. we know from the last gen, both consoles had a 40% difference and yet they shared the same assets, same exact graphics settings, and same performance targets. rdr2 was identical with the only difference being resolution. a 10% resolution difference wont be visible to the naked eye.

Yeah, yeah. I've corrected myself in previous post

Gediminas

Banned
XSX is 12 and PS5 13. That's 10% difference. Surely in some cases 1TF difference should be visible in some scenes in games.
with magnifying glass, maybe. 6 vs 4.2 you couldn't always see the different. DF had to zoom 300 times to see the edges. the less different there is, the more time developers can spend to more important areas.

SlimySnake

I'm pretty hardware retarded but what are the Navi documents talking about when they're referring to L1 and L2 cache then?
i was not aware of this and im no hardware expert either, but i do remember his post getting picked up apart by the more hardware literal posters on this board and era.

DaMonsta

It is too late in the game to be saying that. This is the year of next gen console release. It is now or never, and every day its getting closer and closer to its final release. All insiders should be in the same ballpark.
Yup, this is where I’m at.

If multiple “credible” people are still saying different shit, then that tells me none of them really know anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom