• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't pretend to be objective, and i did not know that Rich said he liked Xbox, i have my own reasons to think they are xbox fanboys:
1. Before that trip to Microsoft (about xbone X ) they wrote it would be a shame if Ms would use the shitty jaguar cpu. Yet, atfer their trip, they ignored all their concerns and wrote only : most powerfull console, 4k, bla bla bla .
2. They wrote that devs don't like the idea of 2 next-gen consoles (series S and X) and that the weakest model will be a
pain in the ass. Now, they say it's not a problem anymore.
3. They don't have any inside, they know nothing 100% about next-gen, yet they release articles with consle warrior titles like: 12 TF vs 9,2 TF , bla bla bla. You would expect something like this from a shitty blogger, not from ''objective'' tech guys.

Imagine what they will say if PS5 ends up more powerful. :D

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
You must be referring to a different Digital Foundry because the one affiliated to Eurogamer was constantly underplaying the differences between PS4 and XBO at the beginning of last gen. 🤷‍♂️
I would read those articles again if I was you. They always emphasised the gap in power between PS4 and Xbox One. Once, I think with CoD Ghosts they even said that they clearly saw a difference in resolution between PS4 and Xbox One and that was BEFORE the PS4 had the update to bump the resolution to 1080p. Not that it matters, if you think they are all Xbox fanboys, sure then just don't read what they write.

Keep fighting the good fight, lads 💙
giphy.gif

Jason28

Has a tiny dick and smaller e-peen
Jason28 Jason28 you’re free to like what you like and dislike what you dislike man, this isn’t a dictatorship ❤
It's true, i was just surprised that it's not only me who has the same thoughts about DF and their ''objectivity''. The same goes for guys like Klobrille, Colbert, they try to act like objective insiders, the truth is they know nothing and are biased.

SleepDoctor

Banned
People are so concerned with df and I don't get why. I have yet to watch a single video of theirs. I just look into threads for the spins and laughs.

You do realize you don't have to watch their shit and give them clicks right? Its like Jason Schreir or however you spell his name. Sometimes he's an "insider" to you guys and other times he's a joke. It just depends on what side of the fence you're on lol.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
It's true, i was just surprised that it's not only me who has the same thoughts about DF and their ''objectivity''. The same goes for guys like Klobrille, Colbert, they try to act like objective insiders, the truth is they know nothing and are biased.

Or are occasionally paid.

Darius87

The thing about Digital Foundry is that these guys are tech geeks, and i mean that in a nice way. They LOVE and LIVE technology, and they will often times go off on a ramble about what could happen, what will happen, and what will never happen. I find them to be the most accurate and honest of the bunch, myself.

Do they get excited when new tech drops? Yes. Yes they do. Because new tech excites them. I would be a bit worried if it didn’t and they didn’t act a bit fan girly.

The only reason they get labelled up as Xbox fanboys is because Rich dared to say one time he liked Xbox. It’s a hangable offence, you know. Then people saw the Xbox one x getting suddenly good analysis after years of ps4 coming out on top, and certain people put 2 and 2 together and got 9.

It’s their job to tell you not only the facts, but also the possibilities. Remember that, and use a little common sense.

Those guys are ok in my book. I’ve even chatted with @dark10x a little privately, he’s as cool a bloke as they come, and his retro stuff is top shelf.

they didn't like consoles but love pc and prefer xbox over ps, on occasion DF talk how consoles are incapabble of some features or gfx compared to pc's act like masterracers in here or like no one knows that 400$ < 1000$, i only see one guy fair to all platforms morgan? is his name?
there's more then one reason they been labeled as xbox fanboys there some odd reviews/analysis they have also spreading on forums melancholy thoughts doesn't do much favor for them real people with these problems doesn't act like that.
remember richard stating that don't expect more then 9 tflops from next-gen consoles? now we have 12tflops xsex also when discussing next-gen spec acts like they know something that we dind't know and now jaguar in next-gen devkit? wtf? :messenger_grinning_squinting: i've lost trust in them long time ago.

Jason28

Has a tiny dick and smaller e-peen
Spec and price are competitive enough to be a match, and the overall bom should be somewhat similar, with the exception of the ps5 always costing a bit more there theoretically due to a few top shelf parts that SX doesn’t have.
Why did Daniel Ahmad from gayera wrote that SeX components are more expensive than PS5, in that case ?

LED Guy?

Banned
The main thing why we keep talking about TFLOPS that much is because it influenced this current generation a lot.

Also because we all know that PS5 and XSX will be equal in SSD/RAM/CPU and all that, but the GPU is the very interesting one because we got many guys already talking “9 VS 12 or more” and all that. When we (I at least) talk about TFLOPS, I assume that everything else is almost equal, that’s all.

FeiRR

Banned
Yeah their agenda of constantly promoting Sony in the beginning of last generation when the PS4 was 40% more powerful and this was visible in games? Don't be ridiculous. They aren't biased just because they don't follow "insider" information and only hard data (Github). Also every video and article they constantly say that they aren't even sure the PS5 is only going to be 9TF.
You cannot base an objective technical analysis on a rumour, especially if it presents only one metric parameter. Science simply doesn't work like that. People tend to believe them because they use a lot of complicated words but in fact the methods they choose to spin things are based on what's currently popular. There's a word for that: 'clickbait'.

Darklor01

It’s like people are looking for things to be disappointed about.

Oh, man, I don’t have to look. There is so much of that around... I’m looking for reasons to have hope and happiness. at this point, it’s more of a game really.

What fake news will turn out to have the right date in it?

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
You cannot base an objective technical analysis on a rumour, especially if it presents only one metric parameter. Science simply doesn't work like that. People tend to believe them because they use a lot of complicated words but in fact the methods they choose to spin things are based on what's currently popular. There's a word for that: 'clickbait'.
They always say in their video's and articles that these analysis are purely based on rumours so people should take it with a grain of salt. Apparently Sony fanboys start raging from a title that they forget to actually read the content where they explain this properly. Even though in the beginning of current gen DF was constantly quoted and video's shared purely because of the power difference. Apparently due to the Xbox One X, and the obvious difference in power with the PS4 Pro they are now suddenly biased, and their methods wrong. It's just childish.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Oh, man, I don’t have to look. There is so much of that around... I’m looking for reasons to have hope and happiness. at this point, it’s more of a game really.

What fake news will turn out to have the right date in it?

Nobody knows. We have so many rumors with so many dates that someone must get it right by coincidence.

Do you think a guy who analyses sales will have access to the components and prices paid by Sony and MS.

He is just estimating / guessing like everyone else IMO, otherwise if he did no all costs he would also know the specs of Ps5 inside out.

He is a senior analyst in Niko partners which they are established in Asia. I'm sure they have some insights in components cost and production at Samsung, TSMC and other companies

Last edited:

DJ12

Oh shit, R R600 requested a self ban !!! Damn less than a day after I told him to stick around until reveal 🤣
Still showing as a member for me, where is the request post?

Shame if true I was hoping he'd stick around to take his licks seeing as he had no problem dishing them out when he was so adamant he was right about neither console having raytracing, euv and rdna 2 (or next gen as it was referred to then) and let's not forget when he adopted github as the only source of truth.

LOL

Last edited:

M-V2

I think no one pays attention, the guy said the PS5 is a high end console which means as high as the series X.

Does 9.2tf vs 12tf mean a high end vs a high end?? Ofc no it means a mid vs a high end console. So plz pay attention to what these people are saying & stop the nonsense about the 9.2tf. smh
He9LpsV.jpg

Still showing as a member for me, where is the request post?

Shame of true I was hoping he'd stick around to take his licks seeing as he had no problem dishing them out when he was so adamant he was right about neither console having raytracing, euv and rdna 2 (or next gen as it was referred to then) and let's not forget when he adopted github as the only source of truth.

LOL

I see him labeled as "banned"

Why did Daniel Ahmad from gayera wrote that SeX components are more expensive than PS5, in that case ?
Two people come up with two different estimates . Beside bloom berg mentioned few dollars for an advanced cooling system which many believe is false . Advance cooling is around 20$ and basic fan set up is around few bucks . So u see where many differences comes from when the same person doesn’t do the estimates.

Mendou

Banned
The main thing why we keep talking about TFLOPS that much is because it influenced this current generation a lot.
With the growing lack of first-party games from both Sony and Microsoft, third-party games grow more important to come. The Xbox One X will always be the best place for playing this gen's third-party games because of its power. I don't think Sony wants to lose on any front in the coming years - not in exclusives or power. I think they might start to grow back the passion they had back in 2006.

Remember that the PS2 and PS3 were powerhouses in terms of what they were capable of. They scaled their ambitions back with the PS4 after seeing the money they lost with the PS3. But after the success of the PS4 I believe that passion is coming back to them in experimenting with new technologies and custom designs.

Darklor01

Nobody knows. We have so many rumors with so many dates that someone must get it right by coincidence.

Exactly. One of the days will wind up being right. Despite the Wired article, I doubt the news will appear with no advanced notice. That means, at some point, we will hear the news we’ve been waiting for. Every day is a new day.

FeiRR

Banned
The thing about Digital Foundry is that these guys are tech geeks, and i mean that in a nice way. They LOVE and LIVE technology, and they will often times go off on a ramble about what could happen, what will happen, and what will never happen. I find them to be the most accurate and honest of the bunch, myself.

Do they get excited when new tech drops? Yes. Yes they do. Because new tech excites them. I would be a bit worried if it didn’t and they didn’t act a bit fan girly.

The only reason they get labelled up as Xbox fanboys is because Rich dared to say one time he liked Xbox. It’s a hangable offence, you know. Then people saw the Xbox one x getting suddenly good analysis after years of ps4 coming out on top, and certain people put 2 and 2 together and got 9.
I know a lot of tech geeks and guess what, some of them are nice people while others are not worth being called humans. Having any knowledge in a field doesn't make you better, just more informed. If you still believe that everything comes down to blue and green, it's just sad. Yesterday I wanted to write that you're a nice guy because you try to be objective... Maybe let's just go back to the topic, shall we? What about Johnny-5. Is he a VR bot? :messenger_winking:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Exactly. One of the days will wind up being right. Despite the Wired article, I doubt the news will appear with no advanced notice. That means, at some point, we will hear the news we’ve been waiting for. Every day is a new day.

Let say it’s a state of play. No invites needs to be sent. Don’t 3rd party publishers have to submit trailers that Sony would show in the SoP? I mean we would definitely hear something before. Right now it’s just too quiet.

THE:MILKMAN

I think people are reading way too much into that Giant Bombcast moment.

Most likely true but will always happen when there is so much silence/lack of communication (see Nintendo too). Even Microsoft are starting to prod this "weakness" with the open and transparent line...

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Two people come up with two different estimates . Beside bloom berg mentioned few dollars for an advanced cooling system which many believe is false . Advance cooling is around 20$ and basic fan set up is around few bucks . So u see where many differences comes from when the same person doesn’t do the estimates.

What's your source that advanced cooling for consoles is $20?

LiquidRex

Regarding PS5 Backwards Compatibility, I'm hoping that Deep Learning will up the Res, and add Ray Tracing to games, because I think BC should be more than just puting in a PS1 disk, and playing as if it's 1995. 🤔

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
FeiRR FeiRR

WANTED? Past tense...? Well, nothing more out of me, then. That’s that bridge burnt. You could have Johnny 5 March right over it and I wouldn’t care. I don’t know much about VR, that’s BGs BGs bag ☹

*cough*

Last edited:
Thats nonsense...🤦‍♂️ in 2017 zen was allready finished! No way they have used jaguar for early devkits as claimed by Dictator

Why not? I won't discuss the FUD on his posting, but delivering a first batch of devkits with similar hardware to the PS4/PS4 Pro in order to ease the transition for devs would be a pretty normal, if not expected, strategy.

For starters, it would be far cheaper: developing silicon, specially in such low scale, is hugely expensive, let alone in a stage that the hardware was probably still evolving on the drawing board.

Last edited:

Farrell55

Banned
Why not? I won't discuss the FUD on his posting, but delivering a first batch of devkits with similar hardware to the PS4/PS4 Pro in order to ease the transition for devs would be a pretty normal, if not expected, strategy.

For starters, it would be far cheaper: developing silicon, specially in such low scale, is hugely expensive, let alone in a stage that the hardware was probably still evolving on the drawing board.
It makes zero Sense what are you saying, why making a new devkit with similar Hardware... also cost doesnt matter for a Devkit

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom