• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Latest blog post from Microsoft on February 24th regarding the Xbox Series X:

The fact that they're still sticking with "our most powerful console" even now should be an indication that they're not confident they have the most powerful console. It seems like nowadays, Xbox fans on YouTube are more confident than Microsoft themselves on the Series X being the most powerful console of this generation, with Sony not even having revealed the PS5 yet.
Phil did say at the Game Awards that Xbox Series X would set the bar for performance, speed and compatibility.

Night.Ninja

Banned

The fact that they're still sticking with "our most powerful console" even now should be an indication that they're not confident they have the most powerful console. It seems like nowadays, Xbox fans on YouTube are more confident than Microsoft themselves on the Series X being the most powerful console of this generation, with Sony not even having revealed the PS5 yet.

What do you think would happen if Microsoft said the xsx is more powerful than the PS5

LED Guy?

Banned
so what you're saying is that the Xbox One was more powerful than the PS4? because it must have been right? since Microsoft even had a little achievement for day 1 edition buyers that said "the most powerful console ever made"
Come on, you're using a very small example that maybe it was a mistake by some employer inside of Microsoft who was writing the achievement's description and then it got removed, what we mean is we didn't see a HUGE OFFICIAL announcement by Microsoft that it is the most console powerful ever made, if they knew about it, then you would see them shouting it from the rooftops, yet there was none, even in their huge trailers about the damn thing, Phil Spencer can't say it.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

What do you think would happen if Microsoft said the xsx is more powerful than the PS5
It would confirm that they're 1000% confident that the PS5 will not match or even exceed the Series X in terms of power, which as of right now they're not. Because if they went ahead and announced that the Series X was "the most powerful console of this generation" and Sony comes out with a more powerful console, that would end up being one of the biggest marketing failures for Xbox in the history of gaming.

Last edited:

Smoke6

All true. But I still don’t believe they are going to wait till May 29th or later to talk about the PS5 again all because of TLOU. Not one bit. If I’m wrong that’s ok. We are all just guessing here.
Exactly as this didn’t stop nor hinder the sales of the last of us when it released just months before the PS4 and no BC for it either!

3liteDragon

Phil did say at the Game Awards that Xbox Series X would set the bar for performance, speed and compatibility.
Well you can't say that and also say the Series X is "our most powerful console." Plus, they technically have SET the bar since they revealed their console first, whether Sony tops that or not remains to be seen.

Last edited:

Banned
Come on, you're using a very small example that maybe it was a mistake by some employer inside of Microsoft who was writing the achievement's description and then it got removed, what we mean is we didn't see a HUGE OFFICIAL announcement by Microsoft that it is the most console powerful ever made, if they knew about it, then you would see them shouting it from the rooftops, yet there was none, even in their huge trailers about the damn thing, Phil Spencer can't say it.

well we might see a head to head race till the finish line? maybe after sony reveals their specs we will see a battle for who can clock their GPU the highest? lol

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
So are the current expectations;

XBSX: $499
XBSS: $349

XBSS gets lower price due to much smaller GPU, less GDDR6(12GB?), smaller, more plastic, simpler construction?

johnjohn

Well you can't say that and also say the Series X is "our most powerful console." Plus, they technically have SET the bar since they revealed their console first, whether Sony tops that or not remains to be seen.
You do realize it can be their most powerful console and also the most powerful console right?

Niked

Sony will focus on their game releases first this spring/summer and when that is done they will focus on PS5. So my guess is that they do a full reveal in july when MS has made their price and full specs official. Especially now with Corona everywhare.

Last edited:

44alltheway

IF Sony is going to wait till after Ghost of Tsushima is out to reveal PS5, then I think they will have another Wired article at some point in time before then. If I had to bet, I would think they do the reveal event before June, but that's just a guess.

3liteDragon

You do realize it can be their most powerful console and also the most powerful console right?
So far, I haven't seen them use the "the most powerful console" statement yet like they did for the Xbox One X, and why would you need to use both phrases if you have the most powerful console? By saying "we have the most powerful console", you're implying that your console is THE most powerful and also way more powerful than any of YOUR previous products.

DeeDogg_

Banned
The art of trolling
gGK9rpB.jpg
What if it’s a countdown?

Gamernyc78

Banned
And? It's setting the bar for their systems. Let's not act like these pr pieces don't keep shit ambiguous for a reason, let's also not act like Microsoft hasnt been known for talking a good one then you know.... "Xbox one is a more balanced system and we won't give up 30% power advantage"

None of us grew up gaming yesterday we know how this shit goes 😁

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

Sony gonna wait till July after GOT releases,,,.then they literally won’t have any PS4 games left
And let MS control all the narrative till after their presentation at E3(assuming covid-19 does not cancel it)? No, they have to release some info before June, even if not all, and they can compliment it later in a proper event.

Last edited:

Mass Shift

Microsoft has no reason to be anything but confident about the Series X. They've confirmed a 12TF RDNA 2.0 beast with VRS. Gaming is going to be phenomenal on that thing.

It's true though, Sony has yet to reveal, so it's their move to show. And we all wait with eager anticipation. But MS can hold their head high behind great specs like what they've revealed thus far.

3liteDragon

Yup, they seem pretty confident with how much info they're giving.
Maybe because they don't really have any big games coming up right now for current gen and considering how this gen went for them, they SHOULD be the ones constantly putting out info first in order to prove themselves next gen. As for Sony, they still have 2 huge AAA blockbusters coming out on the PS4 and PS4 Pro and on top of that, they're also the market leader. They're in no rush reveal anything yet, because they know they can dominate next gen even after revealing their console last.

Last edited:

LED Guy?

Banned
And? It's setting the bar for their systems. Let's not act like these pr pieces don't keep shit ambiguous for a reason, let's also not act like Microsoft hasnt been known for talking a good one then you know.... "Xbox one is a more balanced system and we won't give up 30% power advantage"

None of us grew up gaming yesterday we know how this shit goes 😁
Yeah I agree with you, I mean, even when Microsoft was revealing the Xbox One back in May 2013, they were saying stuff like “The one with the power to create experiences that look and feel like nothing else” when they KNEW that Xbox One was weaker than PlayStation 4.

I mean, technically, they are right, because Xbox One games on it “looked and felt like nothing else”.....in a bad and funny way, yeah Battlefield 4 (and other worse looking ports) at 720p with lower FPS than PS4 “looked and felt like nothing else”.

But I digress.

Here’s the link, you can listen to it at 5:26:

Last edited:

Smoke6

I just want killzone 2 E3 levels of graphics! Can anyone tell me with these specs, if that would be possible now?

Reactions: nd.

3liteDragon

Microsoft has no reason to be anything but confident about the Series X. They've confirmed a 12TF RDNA 2.0 beast with VRS. Gaming is going to be phenomenal on that thing.

It's true though, Sony has yet to reveal, so it's their move to show. And we all wait with eager anticipation. But MS can hold their head high behind great specs like what they've revealed thus far.
I was just talking about them being confident on whether or not they have the power crown this time around. I'm not hating against them or anything, I LOVE what they're doing right now in terms of marketing the product compared to what they did with the Xbox One. They're showing much more confidence in their product overall by being more upfront about it, I'm really happy for them and I'm rooting for their success next gen. So far, they've fired all the right cylinders when it comes to transparency and marketing, they've already shown off a AAA game for the Series X as well. Now with 15 Xbox game studios working on AAA games right now for next gen, I'm hoping they also succeed on that and put out some amazing looking games. Still waiting for E3 (If it ends up happening) to see the games though, if they look promising enough, then Xbox's future is looking brighter than ever next gen.

You dont think theyre building next gen Minecraft on PS5 dev kits?
Phil Spencer has already confirmed that their Minecraft team don't have PS5 dev kits.

Last edited:
No, they are playing safe. They don't know what Sony have under the hood.
Some knowledgeable people have said they believe both companies knew what the other was planning GPU and CPU-wise right from the beginning, being that they were using the same vendor and making their choices around the same time.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Some knowledgeable people have said they believe both companies knew what the other was planning GPU and CPU-wise right from the beginning, being that they were using the same vendor and making their choices around the same time.

If tht was the case tht would happen every Gen. These companies are bound by levels of confidentiality under contracts tht could ruin their image and hold them liable to major lawsuits.

Last edited:
I was just talking about them being confident on whether or not they have the power crown this time around. I'm not hating against them or anything, I LOVE what they're doing right now in terms of marketing the product compared to what they did with the Xbox One. They're showing much more confidence in their product overall by being more upfront about it, I'm really happy for them and I'm rooting for their success next gen. So far, they've fired all the right cylinders when it comes to transparency and marketing, they've already shown off a AAA game for the Series X as well. Now with 15 Xbox game studios working on AAA games right now for next gen, I'm hoping they also succeed on that and put out some amazing looking games. Still waiting for E3 to see the games though, if they look promising enough, then Xbox's future is looking brighter than ever next gen.

Phil Spencer has already confirmed that their Minecraft team don't have PS5 dev kits.
Yeh Spencer said that back in early January.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom