• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

3liteDragon

But don’t you need a dev kit eventually if you’re going to launch your game on time?
My guess is, they'll probably send out dev kits to Mojang in June or July, AFTER they have their blowout event for the PS5 where they reveal everything. And by that time, you can also expect manufacturing to begin for both consoles, and once that happens, all the specs are 100% finalized and cannot be changed at all.

Last edited:
Those people don’t know shit.

Both companies will know the roadmaps and what the theoretical threshold for the silicon, but they don’t know the exact targets or customizations of each other.
Ok then....
My guess is, they'll probably send out dev kits to Mojang in June or July, AFTER they have their blowout event for the PS5 where they reveal everything. And by that time, you can also expect manufacturing to begin for both consoles, and once that happens, all the specs are 100% finalized and cannot be changed at all.
Yeh but specs have been locked in since beginning of the year I would think.

3liteDragon

Yeh but specs have been locked in since beginning of the year I would think.
You can still make small tweaks to the GPU or RAM by playing around with the clocks but even then, you have to have the final clocks and specs finalized before June. This is because the final clocking is done AT the factory as the GPU's being manufactured, so before manufacturing starts, you're free to make minor last-minute changes to clock speeds.

Last edited:

Smoke6

We’ve passed that graphical fidelity, that trailer looks old, and if you mean about how animations plays, that’s because it is scripted, but those graphics look old and outdated now, games have surpassed that.
I have been living in the past like for reals as I went back and just watched it again on YouTube and damn man!

I... I dunno what to say... shit man

Sinthor

Gold Member
I have been living in the past like for reals as I went back and just watched it again on YouTube and damn man!

I... I dunno what to say... shit man

I still remember when it came out. Yeah the flames in the E3 "demo" looked softer and more real but in all seriousness, I thought they made the game WAY close to that target. That was amazing for the time. I think that was the real start of Sony's first party dominance with titles just continuing to push the envelope.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
so if both ps5 and xbox are rdna 2.0 they are likely also on 7nm+.

i still think ms wins the tflops war which is why they have been touting that number so much.

ps5 might come in at 11.5 or so, but it will be curious to see what their ssd can do to mitigate that gap.

they both should have the same hardware RT solution so performance should be the same there as well.

i think the latest rdna 2.0 leak puts the final nail in the coffin for github and 36 cu gpus. with the ps5 cooling solution being somewhat advanced i wouldnt be surprised if sony is hitting higher clocks but i cant reconcile that with MS being super sure about their 12 tflops number. maybe the final devkit IS 14 tflops like that ubisoft dev said and it is using the hbm chips? but surely the devs wouldve received the specs in advance and told insiders here about it.

and yet no insider seems to be talking about 13 tflops at all.

3liteDragon

dKZkzzg.png

demigod

i still think ms wins the tflops war which is why they have been touting that number so much.

ps5 might come in at 11.5 or so, but it will be curious to see what their ssd can do to mitigate that gap.

they both should have the same hardware RT solution so performance should be the same there as well.

i think the latest rdna 2.0 leak puts the final nail in the coffin for github and 36 cu gpus. with the ps5 cooling solution being somewhat advanced i wouldnt be surprised if sony is hitting higher clocks but i cant reconcile that with MS being super sure about their 12 tflops number. maybe the final devkit IS 14 tflops like that ubisoft dev said and it is using the hbm chips? but surely the devs wouldve received the specs in advance and told insiders here about it.

NDA must be really bad. Sony would probably sue them into oblivion.

LED Guy?

Banned

RDNA 2 is on 7nm now, AMD has changed it from being on a 7nm+ to just 7nm.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
RDNA 2 is on 7nm now, AMD has changed it from being on a 7nm+ to just 7nm.

I know they are on 7NP from regular 7nm now, but there is also this.

LED Guy?

Banned
I know they are on 7NP from regular 7nm now, but there is also this.

What does it mean? I didn’t understand, can you simplify it?

LED Guy?

Banned
Sounds like he’s saying that they changed the naming structure to just be blanketed all under just 7nm naming convention.

So even if they do 7EUV, they will just call it 7nm.
Oh now I understand, thanks!

Oh this sounds very interesting, hmm....🤔

Why would they do that? That will kinda make people who speculate on technology and all that, kinda perplexed on all this stuff, weird indeed.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Oh now I understand, thanks!

Oh this sounds very interesting, hmm....🤔

Why would they do that? That will kinda make people who speculate on technology and all that, kinda perplexed on all this stuff, weird indeed.

If you listen to the interview a little further in the Q&A he mentions the advancements and results they were getting on the 7nm process were matching up [with the advanced nodes?].

So that probably explains the 50% increase in efficiency.

He doesn’t outright say it but seems to elude to that. Maybe to protect their process from the competition (nVidia/Intel)? Their “secret sauce”?

Last edited:

icy121

I swear one day I'm just gonna go "Hit em up" on all these cunts.

Patience has its limits.
I'm convinced these people don't play games. Instead, they rather act as PR for a company they aren't employed or paid by - it's so bizarre.

While you're at it, ask 'em what they thought of ReCore, Quantum Break, Crackdown 3, the (mis)handling of Fable Legends and Scalebound, if Halo 5 Guardians was what fans' of the series (like myself) wanted out of a new installment. Ask why they care so much that Sony's 1st-party games are mostly, 3rd-person? Is that supposed to be a negative or a hindrance to the success or enjoyment of a game? Lastly, ask what they thought of Sunset Overdrive? It's a great game - it did well critically. So why wasn't a squeal green-lit? Cause no one boug...... Never mind.

I can't stand some of these Twitter PR warriors.

Who by the way, don't play games or know that the Xbox controller has off-set sticks.

Also could be because any insider has a source or works in SIE if is true Sony has a more poweful devlkit for first parties could happen they have the same gpu and cpu but with higher clock exactly as Nintendo works.

Regarding xbox is where I have a problem if they follow a similar strategy why told us 12 TF for the new XSX if is probably the CU count could be little higher (54 vs 56 for example) if they can clock enough to get 13 TF is because they are not sure if is necessary to expend that price for better cooler or quality in the gpu (for the silicon lottery).

Basically looks like even MIcrosoft is not sure if XSX is more powerfull than PS5 just looks that marketing (our most powefull console).

eNZdG2Z.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom