• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo Blaster

xcijpt2lcil41.jpg
Nah, Nintendo already used it.

Bludbro

Neo Member
A Wired article or a State of Play reveal (Or possibly both) this month and a full blowout reveal in mid or late June is my guess.
Wired article mid-April is my guess as second wired came 6 months after first so mid april will be another six months (and a year since initial reveal)

Used to laugh at Sony for not being RDNA 2, now i'm going to laugh at them for not being RDNA 3.

/s

I wish ps5 and XsX had some sort of zen 2.5 cpu. They both hit the perfect sweet spot with the GPU cause they got what is best available, but AMD do have something better than zen 2 (its zen 3), and does have IPC gain with microarchitecture changes. I dont know how much of an impact it would make for games considering most of the bottleneck would be in the GPU side and not CPU side. 🤔

Gamernyc78

Banned
Have you listened to his videos? The guy knows computer/console tech. Someone on era told he always wrong though so I don’t know. He seems genuine to me.

This isnt about knowing tech or computers. A good amount of ppl know their shit on here, the dude just doesn't have insider knowledge. Can he make educated guesses? Sure but your still going to be wrong more times than not. You can be Bill Gates but if you don't know whats really going on at the other company you know shit.

DF with their earlier 8tf talk is a good example of this. A guess is a guess nothing more.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

Have you guys ever thought about how much of a PR disaster it could be for Sony after all this to reveal a 9.2TF console after staying silent for this long, especially with all the rumors of PS5 being 13-14TF, the GitHub leak, and with Microsoft revealing a 12TF console first? It would've made sense for Sony to come out first and reveal info before Microsoft if they knew they had the weaker console, just to soften the blow by the time the Series X is confirmed to be 12TF. The fact that they're STILL being radio silent regarding the PS5 especially with Microsoft on the verge of revealing Lockhart possibly this week, tells me that they know they have the most powerful console and are just waiting for Microsoft to finish firing all their shots until they run out of ammunition.

Just speculating here.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Have said this before and got mocked for it.

You're biggest developer studio (Naughty Dog) is soon to release a blockbuster PS4 title. The last thing you want is to divert attention of that game away to a new console.
Unless that new console happens to be limited edition version consoles - for said blockbuster games - helping you continue to make great profit from hardware at the end of a successful gen.

You're biggest developer studio (Naughty Dog) is soon to release a blockbuster PS4 title. The last thing you want is to divert attention of that game away to a new console.
But waiting to reveal a next-gen console after new blockbuster games are released would be a change of course for Sony.

PaintTinJr

Even though many people are making it all about TF, it will be interesting to see how memory configurations workout for XsX and PS5. Even if there was a 3TF difference in compute, a 30% difference in memory bandwidth – assuming it was matched to alleviate typical next-gen workload bottlenecks – could result in a weaker GPU having a computing lead on a stronger GPU system.

LED Guy?

Banned
Have you guys ever thought about how much of a PR disaster it could be for Sony after all this to reveal a 9.2TF console after staying silent for this long, especially with all the rumors of PS5 being 13-14TF, the GitHub leak, and with Microsoft revealing a 12TF console first? It would've made sense for Sony to come out first and reveal info before Microsoft if they knew they had the weaker console, just to soften the blow by the time the Series X is confirmed to be 12TF. The fact that they're STILL being radio silent regarding the PS5 especially with Microsoft on the verge of revealing Lockhart possibly this week, tells me that they know they have the most powerful console and are just waiting for Microsoft to finish firing all their shots until they run out of ammunition.

Just speculating here.
Yeah I agree with you a 100% and still after all what Microsoft revealed and announced, they still couldn't say "Xbox Series X is the most powerful console ever made" and that tells you something, this raised a red flag for me at least.

They announced Project Scorpio as "the most powerful console ever" which is way before the PS4 Pro was even revealed by Sony, and that was in June 2016, and now we are in March of 2020 and still Microsoft haven't said that.

So that tells you something right there.

RasAlGhoul

I’m not saying this logic is wrong but...

They announced the PS4 in Feb 13 when they had a game coming out from that same studio in June.

Hell they already announced the PS5 back in April of last year. With many an exclusive to be sold and a holiday season to go still.

Personally I don’t feel like TLOU2 and Ghost are holding back the spec reveal of PS5.

3liteDragon

To be honest, Naughty Dog could've just posted an announcement trailer with the release date of the game and it would still break records, it's a NAUGHTY DOG game, most people would be more hyped for that than anything else coming out that year. And plus, a March reveal for the PS5 (Without showing off any next-gen games yet so that they don't divert attention away from the upcoming AAA PS4 blockbusters) wouldn't really have the same impact on the news cycle in April or May, compared to the impact it had on the day of the PS5 reveal. People would be talking about the PS5 for a few weeks after the reveal and then eventually move on with life until new info is released, that's why a March reveal for the PS5 makes more sense than an April reveal, because of the 2-3 month gap between the reveal and TLOU2's release in late-May followed by Ghost of Tsushima's release in late-June.

Last edited:

saintjules

They announced the PS4 in Feb 13 when they had a game coming out from that same studio in June.

Hell they already announced the PS5 back in April of last year. With many an exclusive to be sold and a holiday season to go still.

Personally I don’t feel like TLOU2 and Ghost are holding back the spec reveal of PS5.

I agree. While these games are huge, it's not gonna stop the forthcoming sales of the hardware. And vice versa. PS5 will sell out on day 1.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Circumstances are a little different this time, it was a new and unproven IP, now it’s a juggernaut.

Like I said, Sony has never been predictable and every gen they’ve done things differently.

Why would they repeat the same exact thing and be ever so predictable for the competition? They also realized their mistake with GT6, and they’re not about to make the same mistake twice.

RasAlGhoul

Circumstances are a little different this time, it was a new and unproven IP, now it’s a juggernaut.

Like I said, Sony has never been predictable and every gen they’ve done things differently.

Why would they repeat the same exact thing and be ever so predictable for the competition? They also realized their mistake with GT6, and they’re not about to make the same mistake twice.

All true. But I still don’t believe they are going to wait till May 29th or later to talk about the PS5 again all because of TLOU. Not one bit. If I’m wrong that’s ok. We are all just guessing here.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
All true. But I still don’t believe they are going to wait till May 29th or later to talk about the PS5 again all because of TLOU. Not one bit. If I’m wrong that’s ok. We are all just guessing here.

I don’t think so either, I think they were just waiting to get the Ghost announcement out (combined with some corona issues) and you’ll probably see them start making more noise in the coming days if not weeks.

3liteDragon

Yeah I agree with you a 100% and still after all what Microsoft revealed and announced, they still couldn't say "Xbox Series X is the most powerful console ever made" and that tells you something, this raised a red flag for me at least.

They announced Project Scorpio as "the most powerful console ever" which is way before the PS4 Pro was even revealed by Sony, and that was in June 2016, and now we are in March of 2020 and still Microsoft haven't said that.

So that tells you something right there.

Latest blog post from Microsoft on February 24th regarding the Xbox Series X:

Xbox Series X is our most powerful console ever powered by our custom designed processor leveraging AMD’s latest Zen 2 and RDNA 2 architectures. Delivering four times the processing power of an Xbox One and enabling developers to leverage 12 TFLOPS of GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) performance – twice that of an Xbox One X and more than eight times the original Xbox One.

The fact that they're still sticking with "our most powerful console" even now should be an indication that they're not confident they have the most powerful console. It seems like nowadays, Xbox fans on YouTube are more confident than Microsoft themselves on the Series X being the most powerful console of this generation, with Sony not even having revealed the PS5 yet.

Last edited:

Banned
Latest blog post from Microsoft on February 24th regarding the Xbox Series X:

The fact that they're still sticking with "our most powerful console" even now should be an indication that they're not confident they have the most powerful console. It seems like nowadays, Xbox fans on YouTube are more confident than Microsoft themselves on the Series X being the most powerful console of this generation, with Sony not even having revealed the PS5 yet.

so what you're saying is that the Xbox One was more powerful than the PS4? because it must have been right? since Microsoft even had a little achievement for day 1 edition buyers that said "the most powerful console ever made"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom