• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a specific chest pumping type to the xbox crowd.
Ahh. I see. Well, that's neither here, nor there to me. The biggest drawback to Xbox in my opinion this gen has been the lack of first party titles.

They seem to have heavily invested in that area, so I am interested in how it paid off. I just like games...shrug.

B_Boss

Actually is possible they just add a few GB of DDR4 to use for the OS and make free the other 16 for devs, they do somethign similar now in ps4/ps4 pro.

I remember Jim Ryan said ''many of those "bigger differences" between PS5 and PS4 haven't yet been announced" and for that time (january of this year) we know they include all those specs like
audio,raytracing, ssd. This were only marketing words or could exists another feature ?

I was wondering the very same 🤔....

Cerney acknowledged they sucked with previous gens and they are employing a power cap vs cpu/gpu throttling approach this time to combat it. So there's that, let's hope it works.

He (Cerny) also mentioned that we’ll be getting a tear down of the console (or at least it’s cooling system) in the future as well 👌🍻.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I certainly think it will for the Xbox as well. The more we learn, the more we’ll be impressed by certain areas within both boxes 👍🍻.

The info he posted IS for the XsX which just keeps on getting better with any new information and yes the more we learn the beast gets even more impressive.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Is this blackmailing?
ouqm2jV.jpg

Throw in some free Netflix and Spotify Premium. And food. Lots of free burgers with fries.

Guaranteed you leaving tht house when all is said and done gaining an extra 15 pounds 😂😂😂

Felessan

Yeah it can work .. but in a typical action game you can turn on the spot, press L3 (or whatever) to center the camera and the camera should (and really has to because gameplay) turn 180 in very few frames. I really don't enjoy the slow animation priority type games, and hope this new tech won't drive devs to actually slow movement down, when the intention of the tech is to speed things up ...
In 3rd person, not in 1st person action.
And angular loading like shown is an extreme case. Linear loading will be much more common. And linear speed is always fixed.
Currently world split by "areas" and vram limit applies to the asset size of the whole current zone, as you need either loading screen or some artifical obstacle, like bridges, ladders, canyons etc, those give engine time to load next zone.
With ultra-fast SSD limit will be applied to the visible space centered around player with some extra to compensate possible movement. This will drastically increase asset density in visible space.
And the faster the SSD, the less extra you need to match "movement versus loading" overhead, the more asset density in visible space will become.

And SSD speed is a very differential factor in this. For example you have a visible range of 10 meters. With ultra-fast SSD game needs to load 5 additional meters to have a room for repositioning while loading new assets. With not so fast SSD game needs extra 10 meters. And as asset size in "loaded" zone grows with the power of 2 (for 2-dimensial travel, 3 for 3-dimensial), game will need 77% more assets for not so fast ssd compared to fast ssd (and overhead factor goes from 2.25 to 4). This means that for equal vram in visible space not so fast ssd will have have only 55% of assets of ultra-fast ssd.
This is before optimizations, assets reuse etc, but the general concept stands.

Last edited:

Kusarigama

as for now stands:
cpu is 2.8 % faster in xsex
gpu is 15% better in xsex
ram size are the same but bandwidth is 50% higher for xsex(which is crazy)
ssd is 56.4% faster for ps5(this is also crazy)
ray tracing is 15.6% better in xsex

clearly these machines should seperate 100$ if not i think sony is in big trouble unless they have some crazy exclussives anyway i'm still buying ps5 because of exclussives. but yea looks like sony cheapen out for ps5 and lost power advantage on paper, though real performance is unknown? my only hope for ps5 that it will not look like a mini fridge and doesn't exceed 450$.
You got the ssd calculation wrong. PS5 ssd is more than 125% faster than SeriesX (5.5 against 2.4).

3liteDragon

XsX looks great, but the engineering on the custom PS5 features look amazing (IMHO) and only the lack of info on RT bothered me. I’m hoping that’s because AMD are planning on releasing a new RT version 2 product soon that is closer to PS5 RT cores, and Sony have agreed not to steal their thunder.
Brings me back to this tweet from a former software engineer who worked on the PS5 when it was confirmed that Xbox Series X runs on RDNA 2:

This is just me speculating, but I’m starting to think that Sony may have a superior RT solution compared to AMD’s and Microsoft’s just because of the way this guy’s downplaying RDNA 2’s RT capabilities. I mean, if your console has an inferior RT solution compared to AMD’s and don’t even have any of these features, why even bother asking these kind of questions in the first place?

Cause it sounds like to me that he’s mentioning limits that Sony was able to overcome with their custom RT solution that he believes will exist on AMD’s solution. It really sounds like low-key flexing to me. It’s like he’s asking rhetorical questions he already has answers to. And with the lack of info about RT during the GDC conference, I wouldn’t settle on Series X having better RT than PS5 just yet because of a higher CU count. This is why we need to wait for a FULL proper reveal from Sony instead of just automatically jumping to conclusions.

Last edited:

draliko

If only a 2% clock reduction is enough to get back in the power and thermal limit, the knowing how power consumption scale with frequency and temperature this thing (ps5}) run fuc#ing hot, I'm not so trusty of Sony regarding cooling and thermal

THEAP99

Banned
So what’s the deal? Chances of a $400 PS5? I don’t think Microsoft will do $600 so.. $500 ps5 & series x would be a tough sell against a Lockhart that would probably be in the $350-$400 range. Honestly I would expect Lockhart to be the main install base of Xbox next gen, not the series X. But that leaves me wondering about the ps5. They may be stuck in a hole here.

draliko

So what’s the deal? Chances of a $400 PS5? I don’t think Microsoft will do $600 so.. $500 ps5 & series x would be a tough sell against a Lockhart that would probably be in the $350-$400 range. Honestly I would expect Lockhart to be the main install base of Xbox next gen, not the series X. But that leaves me wondering about the ps5. They may be stuck in a hole here.
I think Ms could just skip lockhart and price match sony, doing this will bring them back to 360 era numbers. If ps5 end being in the middle (power wise) automatically becomes the best compromise of both world. This is the generation (the coming one) that really count, going forward will be all prevalently digital and switching ecosystem will be hard, you choose a horse and bring it on with it till it dies, this is why pc is the more appealing choice for me now (but will probably ending up buying all the 2 consoles)

There was a slide where Cerny showed instant boot up and no loading times. It appears that Sony have addressed all the bottlenecks in I/O. Also as shown in their spider-man demo, can we confidently expect that PS5 really has no loading times? (or at most perhaps 2 seconds?)

The SXS video about loading times does not inspire confidence. That was 9 seconds of loading. It looks like there is more to loading than pure SSD speed and decompression chip that MS did not address.

It looks like Sony's goal was to eliminate loading times. MS's goal is to reduce loading times. Instant loading vs 9 seconds loading.

If PS5 indeed has no loading times, then I won't build a PC anymore and I will buy all my games in PS5. I used to think going PC + PS5.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Brings me back to this tweet from a former software engineer who worked on the PS5 when it was confirmed that Xbox Series X runs on RDNA 2:

This is just me speculating, but I’m starting to think that Sony may have a superior RT solution compared to AMD’s and Microsoft’s just because of the way this guy’s downplaying RDNA 2’s RT capabilities. I mean, if your console has an inferior RT solution compared to AMD’s and don’t even have any of these features, why even bother asking these kind of questions in the first place?

Cause it sounds like to me that he’s mentioning limits that Sony was able to overcome with their custom RT solution that he believes will exist on AMD’s solution. It really sounds like low-key flexing to me. It’s like he’s asking rhetorical questions he already has answers to. And with the lack of info about RT during the GDC conference, I wouldn’t settle on Series X having better RT than PS5 just yet because of a higher CU count. This is why we need to wait for a FULL proper reveal from Sony instead of just automatically jumping to conclusions.

I came to the same sentiment when that tweet was published. But what makes me question a superior Sony RT solution is Cerny's delivery. He said he's more bullish on it, but the way it came across is that he was doubtful at some point, not exactly what you want to hear from the chief architect.

We'll see.,

sinnergy

I love how you spin a boost mode that achieves something quite amazing – like image 500 PS5 console boxes as a server farm, all doing different types of workloads but drawing identical power and generating least amount of heat as wasted energy at real-world 10.1TF. Deterministic electrical use for X performance would certainly be something Microsoft’s Azure Cloud servers would love to replicate and would help their cost planning. I’m sure the boost system helps improve efficiency of performance per watt, lowers overall energy waste by reducing energy unused for compute and wasted as heat, meaning less heat for the air conditioning cooling system to cool, so less energy used by air conditioning too.

I bet inside Xbox they are aware of the advancement that the PS5 hardware represents, and even though it would be suicide to admit it publicly, they are likely scrambling to test different disabled CUs options and lower CPU cores to let them overclock a narrower CU count to a higher frequency – say like 44 CUs at 2GHz to see if they can get a real world gain of 1TF over the PS5 in real workloads to mitigate the lack of I/O complex in the XsX APU. If developers can use 2 or 3 times more assets in visuals on PS5 because of the I/O complex then they will to sell their games in better screenshots, even if that means they have to downgrade XsX assets to medium from ultra, but get one more Teraflop of RT or shader fx on XsX visuals.
They’ll just update their bios to overclock 75 MHz and almost have Their 1 TF sitting in a chair , I think Phil can even do it.

That’s the power of their form factor design .

More isn’t needed , 13 Tf will finish the job.

Last edited:

draliko

There was a slide where Cerny showed instant boot up and no loading times. It appears that Sony have addressed all the bottlenecks in I/O. Also as shown in their spider-man demo, can we confidently expect that PS5 really has no loading times? (or at most perhaps 2 seconds?)

The SXS video about loading times does not inspire confidence. That was 9 seconds of loading. It looks like there is more to loading than pure SSD speed and decompression chip that MS did not address.

It looks like Sony's goal was to eliminate loading times. MS's goal is to reduce loading times. Instant loading vs 9 seconds loading.

If PS5 indeed has no loading times, then I won't build a PC anymore and I will buy all my games in PS5. I used to think going PC + PS5.
The 9 second where on a game loading just with brute force, no optimized code, just a ssd throwed ai it. The spiderman demo was an adhoc demo coded for the new Io. Not comparable absolutely and you guys just keep ignoring it and other facts. I have no horse in this race but all I see is biased opinion and shifting of reality, seems like a flat earthers forum this days

Last edited:

Aceofspades

Banned

The mindblowing thing is Cerny said after explaining that loading games is basically instantaneous " This is NOT the primary reason to change from HDD to SDD, the primary reason that it gives developers FREEDOM ..."

People are underestimating the massive advantage that PS5 has in this area, I noticed that some posters are dumbing down SSD benefits to only reducing load times , where in reality it can be a HUGE factor in designing next gen games.

Listen to Cerny at 8:30 timestamp of the video.

kyliethicc

as for now stands:
cpu is 2.8 % faster in xsex
gpu is 15% better in xsex
ram size are the same but bandwidth is 50% higher for xsex(which is crazy)
ssd is 56.4% faster for ps5(this is also crazy)
ray tracing is 15.6% better in xsex

clearly these machines should seperate 100$ if not i think sony is in big trouble unless they have some crazy exclussives anyway i'm still buying ps5 because of exclussives. but yea looks like sony cheapen out for ps5 and lost power advantage on paper, though real performance is unknown? my only hope for ps5 that it will not look like a mini fridge and doesn't exceed 450$.

The XSX bandwidth is actually 25% SLOWER for 6 GB of the total 16 GB at 336 GB/s. (6 GB is 37.5% of the total 16 GB.) The 10 GB at 560 GB/s is 20% faster than the PS5’s 16 GB at 448 GB/s, but also only 62.5% of the size.

In other words, Sony gave the PS5 memory that is 20% slower but 1.6x larger than 62.5% of the Xbox memory (10 GB at 560 GB/s.) But this same 16 GB of PS5 memory is also 25% faster than the other 37.5% (6 GB) of Xbox memory.

So while Xbox included 10 GB with 20% faster bandwidth, it is 37.5% less memory than the 16 GB in PS5. They also included 6 GB of memory that is 25% slower than PS5 (448 GB/s vs 336 GB/s.)

The PS5 SSD is also over 229% faster (5.5 vs 2.4 GB/s.)

I came to the same sentiment when that tweet was published. But what makes me question a superior Sony RT solution is Cerny's delivery. He said he's more bullish on it, but the way it came across is that he was doubtful at some point, not exactly what you want to hear from the chief architect.

We'll see.,
What we need is a whole reveal conference like Playstation Meeting with:
1) A quick rundown of Cerny GDC presentation.
2)The details we dont know about PS5 hardware, like the RT implementation.
3)OS and other functionalities.
4)Then ..games galore.
5)Price, launch information.

My bet... when they talk OS.. we will hear a seperate pool of ram for it. You will notice Cerny talks 5.5GB of Ram... then 16GB for PS5. That implies he is talking available to developers (I think), theres also the possibility of them using the SSD for the OS and having a smaller Ram OS footprint because of it.

Secondly... we will hear more with RT... when they show us games using it. And Im expecting better than lol Minecraft lol demonstration. I think Cerny was very clever to not talk too much about RT... until they show us a PS5 game using it.

All in all .. a massive reveal show with the box etc must be on the cards. I hipe they don't just put out a piecemeal teardown etc.

nosseman

If only a 2% clock reduction is enough to get back in the power and thermal limit, the knowing how power consumption scale with frequency and temperature this thing (ps5}) run fuc#ing hot, I'm not so trusty of Sony regarding cooling and thermal

If that is the case - why not lock it at these numbers instead.

Lock it at 10,08TF/2.19Ghz and dont have to deal with throttling at all.

Why go through with all this for a measly 0.2TF extra at the cost of everything?

My guess is that it would be much higher down clocking than 2%.

4)Then ..games galore.

My bet... when they talk OS.. we will hear a seperate pool of ram for it. You will notice Cerny talks 5.5GB of Ram... then 16GB for PS5. That implies he is talking available to developers (I think), theres also the possibility of them using the SSD for the OS and having a smaller Ram OS footprint because of it.

Secondly... we will hear more with RT... when they show us games using it. And Im expecting better than lol Minecraft lol demonstration. I think Cerny was very clever to not talk too much about RT... until they show us a PS5 game using it.

All in all .. a massive reveal show with the box etc must be on the cards. I hipe they don't just put out a piecemeal teardown etc.
also.. anyone notice he said in the presentation something about having a responsibility to consumers regarding price.... makes me wonder... their only having a 16% slower console, tons of customizations, a far superior SSD to the Series X, if they come in at $399 it will literally pierce the heart of the Series X... after they shiw us games.

Also... I have been meaning to ask. Why does state Of Decay 2 take so long to load in the official MS video? Shouldn't that game be loading in 3 or 4 seconds if Spiderman loads in 0.2Seconds on PS5? And Cerny confirms they have the SSD even faster than it was back then (for April demo)

kyliethicc

The XSX bandwidth is actually 25% SLOWER for 6 GB of the total 16 GB at 336 GB/s. (6 GB is 37.5% of the total 16 GB.) The 10 GB at 560 GB/s is 20% faster than the PS5’s 16 GB at 448 GB/s, but also only 62.5% of the size.

In other words, Sony gave the PS5 memory that is 20% slower but 1.6x larger than 62.5% of the Xbox memory (10 GB at 560 GB/s.) But this same 16 GB of PS5 memory is also 25% faster than the other 37.5% (6 GB) of Xbox memory.

So while Xbox included 10 GB with 20% faster bandwidth, it is 37.5% less memory than the 16 GB in PS5. They also included 6 GB of memory that is 25% slower than PS5 (448 GB/s vs 336 GB/s.)

The PS5 SSD is also over 229% faster (5.5 vs 2.4 GB/s.)

I got some things wrong here actually.

The Xbox 10GB at 560 GB/s memory is 25% faster bandwidth. But only 62.5% the size of the PS5’s 16 GB.

nosseman

Why go through with all this for a measly 0.2TF extra at the cost of everything?

They even put special hardware in the SoC to manage the boost.

https://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Sony-SoC-PS5-640x322.jpg

Why go through all that just to get 2% extra performance?

kyliethicc

4)Then ..games galore.

I wouldn’t get my hopes up for 16GB. Cerny compared the 16 in his talk to 8 GB on PS4, which only 5 GB was available on PS4, 5.5 on Pro. I suspect theyll use 2.5 for OS and maybe include a GB of DDR4 like they did with Pro. Giving devs 13.5 GB for games, same as Xbox. But at different unified bandwidth.

geordiemp

I am sure Sony are as concerned as you are lol

user1337

Honestly people, what is wrong with some of you?

Just think a little! Sony's teams were able to put out some absolutely mind boggling games on a 1.84TF (GCN) PS4. Just think what they will be able to do with a system that is over 10 times more powerful just on the graphical front. That doesn't even take into account the better memory, the better storage, the better audio, the better controller, and all the other better things that are too technical for 99% of to even understand.

Do you also really think multiplatform games will not run on par with XSX? Heck I wouldn't be surprised if both system ran games at over 60 and just capped it. You won't even be able to tell the difference.

nosseman

Also... I have been meaning to ask. Why does state Of Decay 2 take so long to load in the official MS video? Shouldn't that game be loading in 3 or 4 seconds if Spiderman loads in 0.2Seconds on PS5? And Cerny confirms they have the SSD even faster than it was back then (for April demo)

The only presentation with Spiderman and PS5 i have seen is the demo were they change LOCATION in a map (not starting the game) and it takes 0.8 seconds vs around 8 seconds on PS4 Pro.

draliko

Exactly, but reason, science and maths have long left this place

The mindblowing thing is Cerny said after explaining that loading games is basically instantaneous " This is NOT the primary reason to change from HDD to SDD, the primary reason that it gives developers FREEDOM ..."

People are underestimating the massive advantage that PS5 has in this area, I noticed that some posters are dumbing down SSD benefits to only reducing load times , where in reality it can be a HUGE factor in designing next gen games.

Listen to Cerny at 8:30 timestamp of the video.

My ReRAM dream did not happen. :messenger_tears_of_joy: But basing off what Cerny said, 22gb/s of data transfer is possible with the SSD given a well-compressed data. That's a little less than the 25gb/s of Sony's ReRAM, but we have 825GB of them instead of 128GB.

I'm happy to be wrong about ReRAM, because the SSD Sony put in the PS5 is actually better.

Zero loading times. Instant boot up. Freedom it gives developers. Streaming of insane assets and textures.
I'm hyyyyypppeeeee!!!

Shmunter

Lower power footprint, cooler console. This while still providing devs options for where they want more beef for their particular project.

What I got from Cerny's presentation is that the PS5 (PS4) BC won't have enhanced graphics just faster loading due to SSD.Which is disappointing. There is no reason for me to get a PS5 at launch. The XsX sounds better but I'm still going to wait months before making a decision on which one to purchase. I'm not a fan of having more then 1 console, I still want to sell my PS4.

The geometry engine in PS5 according to DF should work helping in things like geometry culling
but I understand the gpu should already has mesh shaders which works similar.

Also they never mention variable rate shading, I had a bad feeling on this.

b0uncyfr0

Im sure others know more about this - but from a Dev perspective, wouldn't it be easier for them to increase res/gfx on a machine to take adv of RAW power (Xsex) than manage streaming assets from SSD/RAM (PS5)..?

I saw this on reset yesterday and I thought it was a very good point - maybe one of these is much easier to achieve than the other?

Last edited:

Aceofspades

Banned
Rewatching Cerny video now, Its amazing the amount of customisations Sony did in especially 3 areas:

SSD : achieving blazing fast speeds (more than double main competitor)

I/O : a beast unit able to output 22Gb/s , custom decompressor equating to 9 Zen cores! + another DMA unit equating another Zen core! Plus other co-processors.

Tempest 3D Audio: fully customized by Sony to modify AMD CU units to reflect SPU units of PS3** . It has more power than normal CPU due to GPU parallelism, and more efficient than GPU due to SPU like functionality! This unit has more SIMD power and BW to an entire Jaguar 8 cores on PS4!!

** PS3 SPUs and audio are better than PS4's.

PS5 is a beast machine, I would like to have a similar technical deep dive from Xbox team so we can learn in details what these machines are capable of.

Last edited:
Feeling disapointed with the APU, not expecting any secret sauce to be revealed.

My only reasoning for this 36CU decision is that they they went for a cheaper APU to get to 400$ price. ~10TF is a nice baseline against rumoured Lockhart.

Going with cheap APU they also had enough room to squeeze in their custom SSD and Audio (PS baseline for this new gen) to make the mid-gen Pro release with Cerny 🦋 design really fly!

Last edited:
Honestly people, what is wrong with some of you?

Just think a little! Sony's teams were able to put out some absolutely mind boggling games on a 1.84TF (GCN) PS4. Just think what they will be able to do with a system that is over 10 times more powerful just on the graphical front. That doesn't even take into account the better memory, the better storage, the better audio, the better controller, and all the other better things that are too technical for 99% of to even understand.

Do you also really think multiplatform games will not run on par with XSX? Heck I wouldn't be surprised if both system ran games at over 60 and just capped it. You won't even be able to tell the difference.
Exactly. Nobody can debate that "12 is more than 10" , but I'm willing to bet money that the PS5 is more than powerful enough to put out stunning games at 4k60. It's not like their games will look or run like shit.

Also, diminishing returns.

On the hardware side not even upset it puts them in a pretty shit position for the entire generation though. They will be playing catch up and their is no sauce created that can span that gulf. XSeX is definitely more powerful. Also clearing up a bunch of bullshit Ive read PSV does constantly run in boost mode but I don't think that is a good thing. (Own Opinion) Cant imagine sustaining that high a clock speed is going to be quiet after hours of playing anything. Never cared who won will still be getting both systems for exclusives but XSeX should be the multiplat king.

Sorry, what the what, what?

Is this you exposing your true agenda that I've suspected for a while after losing your credibility?

Sony will be 'playing catch up the entire gen' ?! Hyperbole much. Catch up in what when the difference (on paper only) is 16% and less than half the gap between PS4 - XB1?? And you have no idea how they actually perform and are reading tflops like an Xbox fanboy so we cant make assumptions yet.

And your negatives about the boost clocks are also baseless assumptions. I would refrain from doing that after leading us down the garden path for months.

Lol even more dev quotes "pie_tears_joy: The damage control is real

Sounds exactly the same as when devs were saying eSRAM would almost close the gap, like Brad Wardell. Lol
You are referring to a link that stright up says "PS4 is the better hardware". Yeah, wonderful damage control.
Both are devs opinions that you don't grasp, as I don't, not having studied years this shit.
If you did then I take it back, no issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom