• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ptarmiganx2

I watched the GDC presentation and was honestly fascinated. It's so far away from your standard PC build. On the one hand I'm slightly worried about another "Cell" issue, but listening to what's been put in place it's... I dunno. Weird. Out there. Different.

Thing is, Cerny is no slouch. That's my main take away.
There's a difference in foundation here and, as I said before, I just do not know how it translates to real world gaming. But I'm excited. As excited as a man on a rocket who doesn't know whether it'll explode or kill me with the G-force.

I like Cerny, I was just convinced the PS5 was 12 teraflops. I'm happy now that I have had time to process it

M-V2

The problem in this thread that alot of people don't understand a thing about how tech works, that's why we see alot of misinformation spreading. Plz watch this video, this guy knows what he is talking about.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

This is my problem with the XSX.

Sony got an SSD? We got an SSD.
Sony doing 3D audio? We do 3D Audio.
Sony got variable? Ours is fixed. ;)
Sony have Flops? We need moar flopsss.

SSD is the game changer next gen and for me, XSX SSD concept sucks, faster load times... wow. What else? Nothing.

There is no finesse to Xbox and doesn't illicit any passion, just raw grunt.

To use the car analogy, XSX is like a Humvee, big and gross, gets the job done at all costs. PS5 is like a sexy refined sports car.

Come at me xbois
the better car analogy I’ve seen used is the GPUs are like a smaller turbo inline 6 vs a bigger natural V8. Both can be fast, but it depends on how theyre tuned and used. Some turbo 6s are faster than V8s, even tho it’s a smaller engine.

Last edited:

Windows-PC

Banned
I'm absolutely shocked and disappointed in how Sony handled everything about the CPU of the PS5!

I'm absolutely convinced that the PS5 was planned for Holiday 2019 as a 8TF machine which also was leaked on Reddit if I remember right. And then they decided to overclock the CPU in a horrendous way in hope to match the competition which will lead to a higher power consumption, unstable frequencys and probability an expensive cooling solution that I as a consumer has to pay for. And therefore I already fear that the PS5 will be as loud as a Boing 747 or will set my house on fire while playing Knack 3.

Some of you console warriors are too much. I have traditionally been a Sony leaning gamer, but I like to think of myself as an objective and open minded person.

Messaging. I think Microsoft has kind of been on point on this one. I think it was slightly a mistake to reveal the PS5 specs in such a technical developer minded lecture setting.

I get it was already planned out, but they could have had a public demonstration without jargon with some real world demonstrations to nail it home.

Specs. Microsoft has a nice machine, but Sony will be just fine. The ssd is pretty damned cool. Also very intrigued by the audio. That being said, there isnt a second gpu in the ssd. Microsoft spent the cash on the gpu and got that crown. Cant mistermediap that one away.

Backwards compat. At least it is there. Was hoping for a more robust compat catalogue. Microsoft is killing it in this department. How the hell did the add back compat simulated hdr?!

I think multiplatform games are going to be a wash depending on what your cup of tea is. PS5 will probably load twice as fast, Xbox will probably be slightly higher res and probably better ray tracing(?).

First party. Sony as always is going to nail it. Microsoft made a lot of acquisitions and hired a lot of talent. I have a feeling they will be in a better position this coming gen. They certainly have my attention.

It always comes down to games so I am going to give Sony the benefit of the doubt. That being said, not sure what their issue is. Something is up. Microsoft seems to be firing on all cylinders and I have a very close eye on them. Their E3 presentation may have me buying the Sexbox.

kyliethicc

Of course the series x has decompression hardware or they wouldn't bother to CPU intensive.

Our second component is a high-speed hardware decompression block that can deliver over 6GB/s," reveals Andrew Goossen. "This is a dedicated silicon block that offloads decompression work from the CPU and is matched to the SSD so that decompression is never a bottleneck. The decompression hardware supports Zlib for general data and a new compression [system] called BCPack that is tailored to the GPU textures that typically comprise the vast majority of a game's package size."

www.eurogamer.net/amp/digitalfoundry-2020-inside-xbox-series-x-full-specs?espv=1
for comparison, the PS5 SSD using Kraken compression can, at max, deliver 22 GB/s if the data compresses well enough. Insane.

kyliethicc

I'm absolutely shocked and disappointed in how Sony handled everything about the CPU of the PS5!

I'm absolutely convinced that the PS5 was planned for Holiday 2019 as a 8TF machine which also was leaked on Reddit if I remember right. And then they decided to overclock the CPU in a horrendous way in hope to match the competition which will lead to a higher power consumption, unstable frequencys and probability an expensive cooling solution that I as a consumer has to pay for. And therefore I already fear that the PS5 will be as loud as a Boing 747 or will set my house on fire while playing Knack 3.
Anything is worth it to get to play Knack 3

MARTYWOLF

Based on the State of Decay loading demo figures that someone outlined above, I think the XSX SSD sounds potentially very heavily bottlenecked and won't/can't reach those theoretical limits at all.

I could be wrong but i was under the impression the point of the state of decay was to show last gen bc load time improvements i could be wrong but i think all xbox one games are getting load time increases without having to do any software updates?

I hope all the x1 games get the improvements if not then what was point of showing the demo. I have yet to play state of decay but ive read it has terrible load times all over

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

www.tweaktown.com/news/71340/understanding-the-ps5s-ssd-deep-dive-into-next-gen-storage-tech

Understanding the PS5's SSD: A deep dive into next-gen storage techThe PlayStation 5's new SSD is revolutionary, delivering massive efficiency through speed and enabling true next-gen performance on the console

Derek Strickland | Mar 18, 2020 at 6:00 pm CDT (25 mins, 3 secs reading time)

The PlayStation 5's new solid state drive isn't your run of the mill PCIe 4.0 SSD. It's heavily customized on a number of levels, including its revamped 12-channel memory controller. While on the surface it has similar specs to a PC-level SSD like PCIe 4.0 interface with 4x lanes on an M.2 card using the NVMe protocol, it's been built from the ground up specifically for the system's custom 7nm AMD SoC and 16GB of GDDR6 system memory. And in many ways, the SSD is the most important part of the PlayStation 5.

The SSD can deliver uncompressed data to other system components at up to 5.5GB/sec via its new proprietary hardware, which is over twice that of an Xbox Series X. And like the Xbox Series X, the PS5 also has dedicated hardware-based decompression to reduce CPU overhead. The new custom-designed I/O unit is the heart of making all this happen.

In this article we'll be combing through Mark Cerny's latest technical dissection of the PlayStation 5 hardware and putting everything into perspective along the way. This will be a long ride, but if you have even a passing interest in next-gen console storage, it'll be worth checking out.

The PS5 architect starts by revealing a startling figure in just how clunky current HDDs are for game design and execution.

"My rule of thumb is that the hard drive is spending 2/3s of its time seeking, and only 1/3 actually loading data. 1GB is roughly 20 seconds to load from a hard drive."

With the PlayStation 5's new custom PCIe 4.0 SSD, Sony can load 5GBs of data in a single second. That's 2GBs in 0.27 seconds. Loading screens are basically eliminated from this raw power.

"We're talking two orders of magnitude faster, meaning very roughly 100 times faster. Which means at 5GB/sec on the SSD that the game boots in a second. There are no load screens. The game just fades down and loads a half-dozen gigabytes, and fades up again. Same for a reload. You immediately get back into the game after you do. And fast-travel becomes so fast that in a blink of an eye you're present."

Loading a game from a hard drive is a different story altogether.

"As a player you wait for the game to boot, wait for the game to load, wait for the level to re-load every time you die, and you wait for what is euphemistically called fast travel."

One of the biggest aspects of the PS5's SSD power is efficiency through speed.

Cerny talks about how devs do creative things to obfuscate and distract gamers from the long load times.

The system's solid state drive significantly reduces the duplication found in today's biggest games. Modern games mitigate read speed limitations by by segregating pieces of a game into data chunks that use tons of duplicated assets and lead to big file sizes. Now with the 5GB/sec throughput for data processing, developers don't have to worry about replicating assets.

"The data can be duplicated so many times that it no longer fits on a Blu-ray disc. You end up with hard limits on the player's run speed or driving speed. The player can't go faster than the load speed on the hard drive."

Cerny asserts this will not only change how games are played, but how they're made.

Developers will no longer have to design their games specifically around storage limitations. A lot of the level design in games have specific sequences to optimize data loading. An elevator segment lets the game prepare for the next transition. A winding cave does the same, separate key parts of the world and gives the system an opportunity to load the rest of the next environment.

The system's SSD speeds are so high devs can stream assets directly into the pipeline as they're needed. There's no seeks with an SSD.

"What if the SSD is so fast that as the player is turning around, it's possible to load textures? If it takes half a second to turn, that's 4GB of compressed data you can load."

The result is games that load in less than a second. The PS5's load times are so fast that devs may actually have to artifically slow them down so gamers don't get disoriented, Cerny says.

Read Also: PlayStation 5 SSD speeds hit 9GB/sec with custom 12-channel controller

RAM optimizations

Another major benefit is how system memory will be utilized, in particular its data cache.

The PlayStation 5 features 16GB of GDDR6 unified RAM with 448GB/sec memory bandwidth. This memory is synergized with the SSD on an architectural level and drastically boosts RAM efficiency. The memory is no longer "parking" data from an HDD; the SSD can deliver data right to the RAM almost instananeously.

Essentially the SSD significantly reduces latency between data delivery and memory itself. The result sees RAM only holding assets and data for the next 1 second of gameplay. The PS4's 8GB of GDDR5 memory held assets for the next 30 seconds of gameplay.

"There's no need to have loads of data parked in the system memory waiting to potentially be used. The other way of saying that is the most of the RAM is working on the game's behalf."

The SSD allows Sony to keep RAM capacity down and reduce costs.

"The presence of the SSD reduces the need for a massive inter-generational increase in size."

Cerny also confirms the PlayStation 5's SSD improves how patches are installed on the storage. The system no longer needs to create a new file every time a patch is installed. This was previously necessary because the patch would add new seeks, and thus compound the data usage even further.

But as we said above, there's no seeks on the SSD.

"This means no installs as you know them today."

Custom tech

Speed isn't everything though. Sony had to design new software systems on an architectural level to complement the SSD's new capabilities. To get the most out of the new PCIe 4.0 storage, Sony had to reconfigure the base systems that communicate with game code.

"Our goal with the PS5 isn't just that the SSD would be 100x faster. It's that game loads and streaming would be 100x faster as well. So every single potential bottleneck needed to be addressed. And there are a lot of them."

Right now, CPU overhead from data decompression and management is pretty high. The more data that's moved, the more the CPU is taxed, and if it's pushed too far, frame rates drop astronomically. That's a big reason why Sony is optimizing data streaming on the system to ensure pipelines are flowing with enough speed and efficiency so that games look, feel, and run better than ever.

"To solve these issues, we built a lot of custom hardware, namely a custom flash controller and a number of custom units in our main chip."

The flash controller, why may have been designed by Samsung (along with the memory), has 12 channels and offers bandwidth of 5.5GB/second. Six of them are prioritized for gaming.

Cerny says the 12 channel interface was the main reason Sony chose the odd 825GB storage capacity for the PlayStation 5.

The architect strongly hints that PS5 game installs will be massively reduced, unlike the huge 100GB leviathans we have today. So 825GB on the SSD should stretch farther than 1TB on today's normal HDD.

"The question remains: Is this enough? It's tempting to add more, but flash certainly doesn't come cheap and we have a responsibility to our gaming audience to be cost effective with regards to what we put in the console."

To figure out if more storage was needed, Sony surveyed what kinds of games PS owners were playing and whether or not they'd fit on the SSD.

"We were able to establish the friction cost by re-installs and re-downloads would be quite low. And so we locked in on that 825GB size."

Four lanes of the custom 12 channel memory controller connect directly to the PCIe 4.0, meaning we're getting x4 performance (Anyone who's read up on PCIe 4.0 will have seen mention of x4 lanes and the improvement boosts this spec offers).

Storage Expansion

But what about expandable storage? HDDs are still supported, but gamers need a way to expand the higher-end SSD performance to ensure they can keep playing PS5 games. Pretty much every game is getting bigger and bigger now, and even with compression techniques and massive efficiently toolsets, 825GB won't be enough indefinitely.

Sony solves this by allowing select PC M.2 SSDs to swap into the console. Sony won't roll out proprietary memory card storage for the PS5, unlike Microsoft.

Gamers can buy an appropriately-specced PC SSD off the shelves and plug it right into their PlayStation 5 to expand the memory. There's a few catches, though: The SSD needs to be at least as fast as the PS5's internal drive, and it needs to be approved by Sony first to ensure compatibility.

Hardware-based compression

Compression is a huge part of the PlayStation 5's data management. The console will have a powerful new compression system that essentially shrinks data and reduces the overall install size of data on your SSD. So not only will games have less redundant assets, they can be smaller, too.

Like the Xbox Series X, the PlayStation 5 will have its own hardware-based compression block that's situated on the 7nm SoC.

Basically this means a section on the console's main chip will be dedicated to decompressing data. This will help the CPU in decompressing the compressed data from downloads, installs, and discs.

Decompression is very taxing on a CPU and causes lots of overhead, so this will free up the CPU to other in-game tasks like higher frame rates.

The PS5 uses a derivative of RAD Tool's potent Kraken decompression technology, which offers 10% better compression--that's about 10% more installations or data on a Blu-ray disc. Without the dedicated decompressor, it would take 9 Zen 2 CPU cores to decompress Kraken-level data.

The SoC also has a DMA (direct memory access) controller that allows devs to designate where data goes to the SSD. It's a means of further reducing data-streaming bottlenecks.

The I/O complex further houses two co-processors that help direct that data traffic. One co-processor is focused on SSD input-output that's specifically designed to bypass file read bottlenecks. The other handles memory mapping. The SRAM, or static RAM, which grants faster access to cached memory.

Finally there's a block dedicated to coherency engines which work directly with the GPU to optimize caching. The engines communicate with the GPU, which "scrubbers" that clean up cached data on the GPU itself to improve efficiency and ensure the cache isn't filled with redundant data.

Summary

There's still a lot we don't know about the PlayStation 5's SSD, like what time of flash memory it uses (likely QLC), who built it (likely Samsung), and all of the other architectural components that help tie the hardware together on a software level.

But Cerny's deep dive gives a great look at what to expect from the PlayStation 5's storage technology in the future...and just like the Xbox Series X, the PS5's SSD will transform console gaming as we know it. Developers will be armed to the teeth to defeat bottlenecks and create expansive, wide, and vastly immersive open worlds the likes of which we've never seen before..

Long read but pretty in depth.

kyliethicc

Obviously he’s biased, as a Sony dev, but still the PS5 SSD is clearly very exciting for game designers.
5JhbkKF.jpg

farmerboy

This is my problem with the XSX.

Sony got an SSD? We got an SSD.
Sony doing 3D audio? We do 3D Audio.
Sony got variable? Ours is fixed. ;)
Sony have Flops? We need moar flopsss.

SSD is the game changer next gen and for me, XSX SSD concept sucks, faster load times... wow. What else? Nothing.

There is no finesse to Xbox and doesn't illicit any passion, just raw grunt.

To use the car analogy, XSX is like a Humvee, big and gross, gets the job done at all costs. PS5 is like a sexy refined sports car.

Come at me xbois

Xbox just coming outta the cave and Sony in the Renaissance .

MARTYWOLF

So they do have a dedicated decompressor though no mention of hw components to deal with bottlenecks and check ins, GPU cache scrubbers etc.
But if they say 2.4GB/s is guaranteed i guess they must have it

Thanks for the link

edit
This seems to be their GPU cache scrubber equivalent

Quick resume sounds super cool, hope PS5 has something similar

Alot of people arent gonna appreciate the ps5 and xbox sx SSD'S its flops or nothing to alot of people sadly

Audiophile

This isn't a case of base clock + boost clock based on random thermals.

It seems the CPU<>GPU are going to run at full clockspeeds most of the time but edge cases where power-hungry instructions or high thread utilisation are required will cause small amounts of throttling based on pre-defined power profiles. These will be deterministic and based off a model SoC, developers will not be getting caught off guard by random drops because you use your console in a desert.

In addition, smartshift allows the CPU<>GPU to lend out some of their power budget where necessary. The Switch does something very similar.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Obviously he’s biased, as a Sony dev, but still the PS5 SSD is clearly very exciting for game designers.
5JhbkKF.jpg
On Reeee, there was a dev twitter reaction thread. If you didn't know any better you'd eat up the news about how great PS5 is. Then people immediately said those are all ND employees or people affiliated with Sony.

On Reeee, there was a dev twitter reaction thread. If you didn't know any better you'd eat up the news about how great PS5 is. Then people immediately said those are all ND employees or people affiliated with Sony.

The PS5 does look to be pretty great. Whether it's as great as the XSX is going to be argued until the games are revealed and analyzed. But that SSD tech is super impressive.

For the record, I think XSX will have the strongest multiplats. I'm just interested to know how much stronger.

I was disappointed by the lack of raw TF during yesterday's presentation. After watching DF and few other videos I'm back on the train! We have never seen a system PC or otherwise with near instant access to data. The PS5 is going to be an entirely new experience. Maybe the xbox provides a slightly better image under 10x magnification and a few more fps, but we've seen pretty before. NONE of us has played on a device like the PS5. It will be the industry standard going forward. The flash controller and co-processor take the load off the CPU and can viewed as another processing core . Despite the lower clock I wouldn't be surprised if the CPU preforms better in many real world scenarios. Having a SPU for audio as powerful as the 8 jaguar core cluster should be interesting. I think PS5 welcomes us to the next level, the PS5 pro kicks the door in.

Maybe it wasn't your intention but act as if the next Xbox is shipping with an HDD. Both systems will have fast custom SSD's that will change the way games are developed going forward. It's just that Sony went super aggressive in that direction.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I didn't know people were so sensitive, however his voice is good. This dude breaks down on why Sony went with "variable" clocks, Ultra fast SSD & why may the ps5 has the advantage in the long run .
Then he is being paid by Sony to spread miss information if he says that. Nuclear clocks and lower performance outside storage where the other guy will be the baseline for third parties is not better in the long run. That is paid shilling and disengious.

CJY

Banned
Honestly, I don't think anyone has a link that proves it. But the addition of SMT Is so small die size wise that its pretty much a given even though it wasn't said. It comes standard as part of anything above the bottom spec Zen2.
DF mentioned it in the first part of their video. Dunno if you consider them a decent source though.

icerock

After watching the whole presentation i feel more appreciative of PS5 hw and less bummed about the paltry 16GB ram
The thing that interested me the most is the custom I/O unit massive size and capabilities.
pi38meu.png

The dedicated hw inside it eliminates bottlenecks with data transmission and does work that would require roughly 11 PS5 CPU cores thus enabling the use of the full fat 5.5GB/s raw which typically translates to 8-9GB/s compressed
Did MS speak about their SSD solution? to max out the slower but still blazing fast 2.4GB/s it will take dedicated hw to get rid of bottlenecks and offload check-in and decompression from the CPU.

Microsoft have their own decompression block and audio chip, we don't know its full capability because they haven't done a big breakdown of the said tech like Cerny did. But, Sony's integration is more advanced going by what I saw in their presentation.

I like Cerny, I was just convinced the PS5 was 12 teraflops. I'm happy now that I have had time to process it

The PS5 does look to be pretty great. Whether it's as great as the XSX is going to be argued until the games are revealed and analyzed. But that SSD tech is super impressive.

For the record, I think XSX will have the strongest multiplats. I'm just interested to know how much stronger.

It's just a figure, 15.7% is the theoretical difference but that doesn't necessarily mean the performance delta will be that big too. Wait for next-gen games and run a side-by-side comparison to see it yourself, difference will be marginal at higher resolutions as we're reaching diminishing returns. Even if you take the delta figure at face value, we are literally talking Series X rendering a game at 2160p while PS5 rendering it at ~1978p. You'll need a magnifying glass to notice any difference on your screen, even then, you'll need to run to DF, to realize and get context of what those differences might be!

It is a great piece of hardware, I know some of you are desperate to push the narrative of it being a poorly designed box (which it is) but that doesn't mean it's not a great console in itself. There are plenty of 3rd party devs on REE who are singing its praises. And on todays splitscreen, Schreier noted that three multi-play devs told him the same.

M-V2

Then he is being paid by Sony to spread miss information if he says that. Nuclear clocks and lower performance outside storage where the other guy will be the baseline for third parties is not better in the long run. That is paid shilling and disengious.
Lmao now everyone talks logic, they're paid?? The guy has 30k of subscribers why Sony would pay him?? He breaks games performance & tech etc... I don't know, but when someone talks logic but against your favor then he must be paid. Watch his video first he praise both consoles but whatever. This thread became laughable. Someone told me that I should not waste my time trying to convince a wall to change his position lol, anyway the video is there if anyone wants to listen to it then go a head I highly recommend it. Peace!

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
the better car analogy I’ve seen used is the GPUs are like a smaller turbo inline 6 vs a bigger natural V8. Both can be fast, but it depends on how theyre tuned and used. Some turbo 6s are faster than V8s, even tho it’s a smaller engine.

There is no benchmark that Sony will be faster in except load times .. every frame will be faster to produce on xbox .. no matter if it’s CPU or GPU limited.

-kb-

Microsoft have their own decompression block and audio chip, we don't know its full capability because they haven't done a big breakdown of the said tech like Cerny did. But, Sony's integration is more advanced going by what I saw in their presentation.

It's just a figure, 15.7% is the theoretical difference but that doesn't necessarily mean the performance delta will be that big too. Wait for next-gen games and run a side-by-side comparison to see it yourself, difference will be marginal at higher resolutions as we're reaching diminishing returns. Even if you take the delta figure at face value, we are literally talking Series X rendering a game at 2160p while PS5 rendering it at ~1978p. You'll need a magnifying glass to notice any difference on your screen, even then, you'll need to run to DF, to realize and get context of what those differences might be!

It is a great piece of hardware, I know some of you are desperate to push the narrative of it being a poorly designed box (which it is) but that doesn't mean it's not a great console in itself. There are plenty of 3rd party devs on REE who are singing its praises. And on todays splitscreen, Schreier noted that three multi-play devs told him the same.

Microsofts already given the number for its decompression block (4.8GB/s) so we have some level of knowledge but we dont know everything yet. It looks like its shaping up that the audio block is pretty samy as the AMD true audio.

There is no benchmark that Sony will be faster in except load times .. every frame will be faster to produce on xbox .. no matter if it’s CPU or GPU limited.

Not if its CPU bandwidth limited :p

But thats a pretty unlikely scenario.

Last edited:

-kb-

You do realize that MS's "Velocity Architecture" does most of the same things that Sony is planning (just at half the speed).

The peak decompression (22GB/s) on the PS5 is crazy (but also quite unlikely to be hit in the real world imo). There are chances that the PS5 is certain scenarios could far outstrip the XSX but they would not be that often.

Lort

Banned
This doesn't sound right at all when the PS5 GPU is clocked far, far higher.

It all comes down to then Tfs .. graphics programming is all parallel .. there is no such thing as single threaded GPU instruction execution so graphics code scales according to cus.

Noone so far is predicting the ps5 gpu will be faster but go ahead you be the first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom