• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

-kb-

It all comes down to then Tfs .. graphics programming is all parallel .. there is no such thing as single threaded GPU instruction execution so graphics code scales according to cus.

Noone so far is predicting the ps5 gpu will be faster but go ahead you be the first.

Nearly all graphics stuff is trivially parallelizable but there's certain cases where having a higher clock speed may be an advantage verses having more CU's.

Reactions: CJY

CJY

Banned
It all comes down to then Tfs .. graphics programming is all parallel .. there is no such thing as single threaded GPU instruction execution so graphics code scales according to cus.

Noone so far is predicting the ps5 gpu will be faster but go ahead you be the first.
So you're saying it's not possible to have workloads that that target only a subset of available CUs? You're saying that faster clocks increasing the speed of the L1/L2 cache won't make things faster? This seems to fly in the face of what Cerny said.

CJY

Banned
So you're saying it's not possible to have workloads that that target only a subset of available CUs? You're saying that faster clocks increasing the speed of the L1/L2 cache won't make things faster? This seems to fly in the face of what Cerny said.
I've heard lots of people stating that PS5 will be faster (narrow & fast) and XSX will be more powerful (wide & slow). John Linneman also stated that both GPUs will very similar in performance, and others saying that the power difference will barely be noticeable.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

There is no benchmark that Sony will be faster in except load times .. every frame will be faster to produce on xbox .. no matter if it’s CPU or GPU limited.
Well Digital Foundry mentioned a game designed around very fast SSDs can be optimized to have faster frame rates etc, so some Sony exclusives might be able to achieve some unique stuff. I don’t make games, idk.

-kb-

I've heard lots of people stating that PS5 will be faster (narrow & fast) and XSX will be more powerful (wide & slow)

The truth is it depends, I don't have any hard stats for you but in a lot of cases more TFLOPs will come ahead but there are certainly cases and areas where having a faster clock and similar TFs will be better.

quest

Not Banned from OT
You should talk to Intel p4 engineers if you think clocks are the end all be all. The only reason it is clocked to high heaven is because performance was so far behind MS. I guarantee if they had it to do all over again they cut the SSD budget put that into the APU lower clocks.

Last edited:

Ptarmiganx2

So they do have a dedicated decompressor though no mention of hw components to deal with bottlenecks and check ins, GPU cache scrubbers etc.
But if they say 2.4GB/s is guaranteed i guess they must have it

Thanks for the link

edit
This seems to be their GPU cache scrubber equivalent

Quick resume sounds super cool, hope PS5 has something similar
They have it, but it still requires the CPU...they are saying 1/10 of a Zen core on Xbox. Could be higher.

CJY

Banned
Both are for 99% of games anyways. That is why Microsoft was smart in the SSD reasonable and something everyone except sony will develop around great return on investment. The cost savings
Who is this "everyone" you are talking about? Why would any developer "develop around" the XBox SSD when the game has to also run on Xbone and PC where the vast majority of gamers run HDDs?

You should talk to Intel p4 engineers if you think clocks are the end all be all. The oy reason it is clocked to high heaven is because performance was so far behind MS. I guarantee if they had it to do all over again they cut the SSD budget put that into the APU lower clocks.
I don't think clocks are the be-all and end all and I don't think CU are the be-all and end-all either. I choose to believe Cerny when he says that maximising the workload across more CUs is more difficult than less and I also believe that many devs potentially too lazy or too time-constrained to use every CU to its maximum potential. Cerny also justified his reasoning for preferring faster clocks vs. having more CUs. I guess it might be just PR fluff.

Their E3 presentations are always better than Sony's... even when they have nothing on hand... and their cult members are so relentless.
How good their showmanship for their E3 direct was not what I was implying. Cult members? What are you talking about? Both sides have lunatics. Read enough through this entire thread and that is self evident.

ethomaz

Banned
Honestly, I don't think anyone has a link that proves it. But the addition of SMT Is so small die size wise that its pretty much a given even though it wasn't said. It comes standard as part of anything above the bottom spec Zen2.

8 Cores / 16 Threads

The official spec sheet lol

quest

Not Banned from OT
Who is this "everyone" you are talking about? Why would any developer "develop around" the XBox SSD when the game has to also run on Xbone and PC where the vast majority of gamers run HDDs?

I don't think clocks are the be-all and end all and I don't think CU are the be-all and end-all either. I choose to believe Cerny when he says that maximising the workload across more CUs is more difficult than less and I also believe that many devs potentially too lazy or too time-constrained to use every CU to its maximum potential. Cerny also justified his reasoning for preferring faster clocks vs. having more CUs. I guess it might be just PR fluff.
Of course it is PR fluff you think the flagship nvidia cards have a few cuda cores clocked to high heaven? Why do you think the flagship AMD card coming has 80 CUs? He has to put the best face on it he can like MS in 2013.

-kb-

Its trivial to realise that making an operation more parallelised is harder then just making the core run faster. It should be noted though that a lot of graphic operations are trivial too parallelise as they are generally per pixel and have independent reads / writes and little data dependency within the same operation in the same frame.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
Of course it is PR fluff you think the flagship nvidia cards have a few cuda cores clocked to high heaven? Why do you think the flagship AMD card coming has 80 CUs? He has to put the best face on it he can like MS in 2013.

Nah. I don't agree. Building a console should be about give and take and careful consideration, and I'm not talking in extremes like you are. The assumption by many is that PS5 will have thermal issues, but this hasn't been corroborated by anybody and totally unsubstantiated, but what if PS5's APU performs well within it's thermal envelope because of sufficient cooling designed around a fixed power draw and predicatable performance characteristics? I don't see why a system architect wouldn't want a higher clock in this scenario and he even said he could have pushed the GPU clocks even higher.

vdopey

ok so I have been giving this a lot of thought and I watched the nxgamer video, although I am sure I heard something about this elsewhere, the ability to stream 9 GB/s of data into ram is actually quite amazing here me out. So on a pc whether its mac / linux or windows, imagine you cycling through windows to find the right window, now I run linux and during my working day I have, intellij idea running and a bunch of open tabs open in chrome and firefox along with atleast a few different terminals, along with spotify and a bunch of other stuff usually running, now imagine if you minimise something to the docker or to the taskbar or whatever you want to call it - this minimise takes it out of ram and onto the ssd, the next time you need it as your scrolling through which usually takes about a second you select the application and as it maximises it, what its actually doing is copying it back from the ssd into ram, typically an application is going to consume a few Gigabytes, Chrome at its worst might consume 6, thats still a fraction of a second for it to be copied from the ssd into live ram - obviously you cant do this for all tasks, for example spotify would need to still be active to listen to music, but still this on your laptop or your desktop would be amazing.

Now back to the PS5, they have this tech already, they have dealt with all of the possible bottlenecks its raw 9 GB/s compressed data being streamed from ssd to ram, why would the user interface OS ever need to take RAM away from games ? The FreeBSD Kernel would obviously always need to run in the RAM, but we are talking worst case 200M, but its more likely to be around 50M - the Kernel manages the hardware so it has to run and its probably running dom0 and the PS OS is probably a virtualised DOMU (well at least this is how the PS3 worked and most likely how this is still working) - lets give the base actual operating OS 500M, some of it reserved as swap. So out of that 16 G, the OS would only ever need 500M persistant residual RAM and the GAMES could switch in out with the PS OS from SSD to RAM in a fraction of a second the PS OS would never need more than 2G storage, thats what 0.2 seconds ? if that, why would you need to dedicate anything to the OS other than critical hardware functions ? when you start looking into this and thinking about the possibilities its pretty amazing - I think once this tech hits PCs, most likely laptops will be the first and I would wager a bet Apple of old (under Steve Jobs) would definitely be first to implement this but I can several hw manufacturers implementing this, it truly will be a game changer you could do far more with much less RAM, but the RAM would have to be really fast and so would the ssd.

The more you begin to think about how this tech can be utilised, the more you begin to understand Cerny is a freaking genius. I completely doubted them yesterday - I think ignore games consoles, for general compute this will be a game changer.

CJY

Banned
Its trivial to realise that making an operation more parallelised is harder then just making the core run faster. It should be noted though that a lot of graphic operations are trivial too parallelise as they are generally per pixel and have independent reads / writes and little data dependency within the same operation in the same frame.
I'm not arguing about the relative difficulty of attaining performance through parallelization vs. increasingly clocks though. I'm simply saying that not every workload requires massive parallelization across all available CUs and that increased clockspeeds in those case (which are numerous) would be faster with faster clocks.

Shmunter

I've heard lots of people stating that PS5 will be faster (narrow & fast) and XSX will be more powerful (wide & slow). John Linneman also stated that both GPUs will very similar in performance, and others saying that the power difference will barely be noticeable.
The XbX does have 1.7tf advantage, in the real world that likely translates to higher pixel density. This will undoubtedly be realised as more aggressive dynamic Rez scaling on PS5 VS XbX. I can’t see it as anything but. But I’m happy to listen to ideas on what else that differential can provide.

Suffice it to say, this difference will not be as wide as the difference between Pro and X today, of which even now we see bizarre dev decisions with instances of tearing and lower frames on X than Pro because Rez is being pushed over everything. I still don’t get it.

One thing the XbX doesn’t have is a next gen memory subsystem like the PS5. The discrepancy here unlike the GPU TF is significant. Especially once pc’s get their next gen ssd solutions, XbX will potentially be left behind over the course of time as these games get more and more dependent on this architecture. Obvious sacrifices may need to be made on XbX to accomodate the much slower streaming capability.

Anybody thinking off replying to my Next-Gen PS5 & XSX Speculation/Analysis/Leaks viewpoint in rude, aggressive, childish nonsense can go play on the street. Thank you. 👍🏻

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Anybody know when that MS show is happening? I remember them saying they were supposed to talk more about the X and the Cloud etc.

All experienced devs see the forest through the trees and know this. Many gamers can see it too, many more aren’t sure what to think, especially after Sony confounding them with a dry presentation not meant for them. And there are some that will never acknowledge it because they are hardcore to the bone devoted elsewhere.

And that’s everybody summarised.

After watching the PS5 dive and reading Twitter and stuff today, I come back to NeoGAF and look at the Xbox fanboys and I just feel.....sorry for them? It’s like, you’ve been angry at a plastic box for so long, that as soon as it looks like you might get the win, you act like a damn fool and show your ass?

Then ironically, after everyone has had a chance to digest the information, more and more actual developers come out and start talking about how amazing PS5 is going to be and the speed of the console will help it make up the deficit and these same fanboys are so mad that not everyone is on board with them, start flinging shit like monkeys and accusing people of being paid shills by Sony and fanboys? Like it’s seriously, truly sad. Both consoles have their strengths and both consoles will have their weaknesses, but to some of these children, it’s life or death; black or white. It’s pathetic.

CJY

Banned
ok so I have been giving this a lot of thought and I watched the nxgamer video, although I am sure I heard something about this elsewhere, the ability to stream 9 GB/s of data into ram is actually quite amazing here me out. So on a pc whether its mac / linux or windows, imagine you cycling through windows to find the right window, now I run linux and during my working day I have, intellij idea running and a bunch of open tabs open in chrome and firefox along with atleast a few different terminals, along with spotify and a bunch of other stuff usually running, now imagine if you minimise something to the docker or to the taskbar or whatever you want to call it - this minimise takes it out of ram and onto the ssd, the next time you need it as your scrolling through which usually takes about a second you select the application and as it maximises it, what its actually doing is copying it back from the ssd into ram, typically an application is going to consume a few Gigabytes, Chrome at its worst might consume 6, thats still a fraction of a second for it to be copied from the ssd into live ram - obviously you cant do this for all tasks, for example spotify would need to still be active to listen to music, but still this on your laptop or your desktop would be amazing.

Now back to the PS5, they have this tech already, they have dealt with all of the possible bottlenecks its raw 9 GB/s compressed data being streamed from ssd to ram, why would the user interface OS ever need to take RAM away from games ? The FreeBSD Kernel would obviously always need to run in the RAM, but we are talking worst case 200M, but its more likely to be around 50M - the Kernel manages the hardware so it has to run and its probably running dom0 and the PS OS is probably a virtualised DOMU (well at least this is how the PS3 worked and most likely how this is still working) - lets give the base actual operating OS 500M, some of it reserved as swap. So out of that 16 G, the OS would only ever need 500M persistant residual RAM and the GAMES could switch in out with the PS OS from SSD to RAM in a fraction of a second the PS OS would never need more than 2G storage, thats what 0.2 seconds ? if that, why would you need to dedicate anything to the OS other than critical hardware functions ? when you start looking into this and thinking about the possibilities its pretty amazing - I think once this tech hits PCs, most likely laptops will be the first and I would wager a bet Apple of old (under Steve Jobs) would definitely be first to implement this but I can several hw manufacturers implementing this, it truly will be a game changer you could do far more with much less RAM, but the RAM would have to be really fast and so would the ssd.

The more you begin to think about how this tech can be utilised, the more you begin to understand Cerny is a freaking genius. I completely doubted them yesterday - I think ignore games consoles, for general compute this will be a game changer.
NXGamer spoke about this exact same thing in his latest video on PS5. Both MS and Sony have spoken about how the SSD can have a "multiplier effect" on the RAM because it allows you to allocate RAM usage more efficiently. I just think Sony went balls-to-the-wall with their implementation. It's definitely going to be awesome for both systems and gaming in general.

3liteDragon

I just rewatched the PS5 GDC stream again, and I was just blown away by the amount of customization done to the system overall, and the amount of workload that’s been offloaded from the CPU and GPU itself. I’m willing to bet rn that when the games are shown off, and Digital Foundry do their comparison videos, performance between the Series X and PS5 will be neck and neck or even better on the PS5. There’s definitely a reason Cerny chose to go with a narrow and fast approach and I just don’t think we’re seeing the full picture here just yet. But I gotta say, they FUCKED UP big time by streaming this presentation on YouTube and all the technical stuff flew right by people’s heads, and now you have console warriors arguing over how PS5 must be weaker than the Series X because the spec sheet says so.

Once Sony shows off their games and have proper consumer-based demos showcasing their tech, all this teraflop discussion will instantly vanish. Mark my words.

Shmunter

NXGamer spoke about this exact same thing in his latest video on PS5. Both MS and Sony have spoken about how the SSD can have a "multiplier effect" on the RAM because it allows you to allocate RAM usage more efficiently. I just think Sony went balls-to-the-wall with their implementation. It's definitely going to be awesome for both systems and gaming in general.
I’m surprised XsX is reserving 3,5 gig for the system. Keep essential services running real-time, dump all the user interface, gfx, etc, to the ssd freeing up ~couple of gig more for current game.

Over time I’m sure they’ll move in that direction, makes no sense not to.

• Thoughtful

CJY

Banned
I’m surprised XsX is reserving 3,5 gig for the system. Keep essential services running real-time, dump all the user interface, gfx, etc, to the ssd freeing up ~couple of gig more for current game.

You're right. I'm surprised too. Maybe they just didn't think of it. I'm sure if Sony are actually doing it, MS will probably follow-suit to free up more RAM for devs.

Also: A Windows subsystem is a vastly different beast than the Unix one in Playstation. It might be quite the engineering effort to make it happen. I'm sure it's possible, just exponentially harder.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

Since fire is fire, let's burn. Did you understandd that, if developers will put effort into that, the SSD might really improve RAM usage?? Every game on every machine usually has part of the RAM used for "preloading" game contents that are not used in said moment/place. With the SSD, said data, would temporarily rest in the drive, making more RAM space available for what is going in said moment. Hell, having more free space, means also a better management of the available bandwith, bringing its usage closer to the theorethical performance level.
And the best part is that, this may be implemented automatically by the SDK.
Exactly this too.

quest

Not Banned from OT

Its 2.5 for the OS

This leaves 2.5GB of GDDR6 memory from the slower pool for the operating system and the front-end shell.

-kb-

You're right. I'm surprised too. Maybe they just didn't think of it. I'm sure if Sony are actually doing it, MS will probably follow-suit to free up more RAM for devs.

Also: A Windows subsystem is a vastly different beast than the Unix one in Playstation. It might be quite the engineering effort to make it happen. I'm sure it's possible, just exponentially harder.

Even with massive optimisation I would except there to be at least ~1.5GB of ram taken by both consoles. Getting it <1GB would be a huge achievement and probably require a sacrifice to the UX.

CJY

Banned
Even with massive optimisation I would except there to be at least ~1.5GB of ram taken by both consoles. Getting it <1GB would be a huge achievement and probably require a sacrifice to the UX.
Read back up higher. Nobody is talking about reducing the OS footprint, but shifting that footprint in and out of RAM on-demand to save on RAM for devs.

Last edited:

Actually is possible they just add a few GB of DDR4 to use for the OS and make free the other 16 for devs, they do somethign similar now in ps4/ps4 pro.

I remember Jim Ryan said ''many of those "bigger differences" between PS5 and PS4 haven't yet been announced" and for that time (january of this year) we know they include all those specs like
audio,raytracing, ssd. This were only marketing words or could exists another feature ?

-kb-

Read back up higher. Nobody is talking about reducing the OS footprint, but shifting that footprint in and out of RAM on-demand to save on RAM for devs.

Theres a large number of structures that are required to be memory for a modern operating system to work, you cannot page these out without major performance downsides. You can obviously jettison a lot of crap this time due to the fast HDD allowing you to stream a lot of what you need very quickly but thats just not going to work for some things.

Shmunter

Its 2.5 for the OS

This leaves 2.5GB of GDDR6 memory from the slower pool for the operating system and the front-end shell.

Ok thanks. Thought it was 3.5.

2.5 still too much with the tech at hand. But it could be due to the windows origins like CJY touched upon.

kyliethicc

No mention of it.
Assuming it’s 2.5 for OS on PS5 as well. PS4 reserved 3 of 8, PS4 Pro gave devs 5.5 by adding a gig of DDR3, and Xbox One X reserved 3 out of 12 for OS. I bet Sony is giving devs on PS5 13.3 out of 16.

Last edited:

Jonsoncao

Banned
Has Sony talked about the noise of the console? It's not really a great sign if they haven't.

IIRC Cerny said it is gonna be better than PS4 and pro

However after I found out the insanely high GPU frequency is not thermal bounded rather power bounded, I am not very optimistic about the noise.

How good their showmanship for their E3 direct was not what I was implying. Cult members? What are you talking about? Both sides have lunatics. Read enough through this entire thread and that is self evident.
There is a specific chest pumping type to the xbox crowd.
IIRC Cerny said it is gonna be better than PS4 and pro

However after I found out the insanely high GPU frequency is not thermal bounded rather power bounded, I am not very optimistic about the noise.
Given the emphasis they have put on sound output quality, AND that it was mentioned during that their previous consoles were lacking in the acoustics level department, so they have put special emphasis on that aspect... well without measurement, I assume the thing is pretty quiet.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Ok thanks. Thought it was 3.5.

2.5 still too much with the tech at hand. But it could be due to the windows origins like CJY touched upon.
Hopefully. SeX is speedier and the ram is faster, but if Xbox One or X is an example, the OS runs slow as shit sometimes, unless you do a hard reboot. The MS Store loading all the icons is the worst.

These systems supposedly have 8gb of that NAND ram (whatever that is) + another few gbs of GDDR5 ram for the OS. Add it up and they probably have a good 10 gb for the OS and who knows where that ram goes.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Hopefully. SeX is speedier and the ram is faster, but if Xbox One or X is an example, the OS runs slow as shit sometimes, unless you do a hard reboot. The MS Store loading all the icons is the worst.

These systems supposedly have 8gb of that NAND ram (whatever that is) + another few gbs of GDDR5 ram for the OS. Add it up and they probably have a good 10 gb for the OS and who knows where that ram goes.
Downright puzzling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom