• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

xool

Nice explanation of why Sony went with 825GB SSD
HXczEjH.jpg
cOxhlDz.jpg
So 12 64GB chips = 768GB (binary GB) (768 x 1024x1024x1024), but Sony chose to report it as 825 GB (decimal) to get the bigger number .. jeez that's cheap.

When you buy a 256/512/1TB SSD you get the binary GB (GiB) For example here :

In a 1TB Samsung SSD you get 8x128GiB chips = 1024GB = 1TB - .. but in sony's numbers 1.073 TB ..

The PS5 hardrive is 75% the size of the SeriesX, but they massaged the numbers. Well done SONY. /s

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I don't know if it would make much sense unless it was for receivers. But real-time 3-Dimensional audio doesn't work in the video space as much as it would work for the gaming / VR space, honestly. But if they figure it out, I don't see how that would be a bad thing. But considering if PC's and Other consoles could take advantage, that would be a huge sell, but all that processing is happening on the PS5 within the game engines. So again, I'm not sure it makes much sense.

Perhaps a Sony PCI card for PC's does make sense?

EDIT:
A mix of Tempest and DXR sounds like the best of both worlds in one spot. 3D Audio with proper Ray-Traced acoustics seems like an audiophiles dream. Why can't Sony and Microsoft just make one console?

Ray Tracing is doable from Sony's behalf, and Sony is in the pinnacle of audio quality already. If something I could think of that united effort is going guns blazin on PC and crushing steam and the likes combined with a console for the masses.

But you know, things don't work that way. I personally don't really think of any games on xbox that will be extremely attractive this gen, except Forza Horizon, which I can still play it better on my PC. I can see Xbox didn't go hard enough with the PC market and damaged themselves in the long run.

So 12 64GB chips = 768GB (binary GB) (768 x 1024x1024x1024), but Sony chose to report it as 825 GB (decimal) to get the bigger number .. jeez that's cheap.

In a 1TB Samsung SSD you get 8x128GiB chips = 1024GB = 1TB - .. but in sony's numbers 1.073 TB ..

The PS5 hardrive is 75% the size of the SeriesX, but they massaged the numbers. Well done SONY. /s
No 68.7 Gibibyte times 12 = 824,4Gibibyte = 885.2 Gigabyte with overhead/provision => 825 Gigabyte Usable

Last edited:
Sony defense force, how about you guys email and contact Sony Corporate and Mark Cerny to tell them to make another presentation on PS5 and its capabilities by actually showing games. If not games then tech demos. Talking in here defending Sony is a pitiful excuse for them not owning up to their own responsibility of causing so much mass confusion and disappointment.

Fake

Sony defense force, how about you guys email and contact Sony Corporate and Mark Cerny to tell them to make another presentation on PS5 and its capabilities by actually showing games. If not games then tech demos. Talking in here defending Sony is a pitiful excuse for them not owning up to their own responsibility of causing so much mass confusion and disappointment.

You can leave the thread if the conversation here don't pleasure you. I do it many times and you can do as well. Back off the console war bullshit.

Ray Tracing is doable from Sony's behalf, and Sony is in the pinnacle of audio quality already. If something I could think of that united effort is going guns blazin on PC and crushing steam and the likes combined with a console for the masses.

But you know, things don't work that way. I personally don't really think of any games on xbox that will be extremely attractive this gen, except Forza Horizon, which I can still play it better on my PC. I can see Xbox didn't go hard enough with the PC market and damaged themselves in the long run.
They upped their first party significantly. I'm sure there will be a lot of AAA content out of them. I can understand why Forza, Halo and Gears aren't attractive to some. But their 1st party genre's are about to explode.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
They upped their first party significantly. I'm sure there will be a lot of AAA content out of them. I can understand why Forza, Halo and Gears aren't attractive to some. But their 1st party genre's are about to explode.

I can see Xbox going full software in the future, and just releasing on PS and other platforms, and gaining bigger chunk of money. Maybe buying some massive companies like EA, who knows. Could be wrong and continue to coexist.

I see Forza being the most played xbox game around here, other than that I don't remember. PS should pay more attention for casual racers, not everyone wants that extreme sim. DriveClub had a huge potential.

Enjoy gaming! You can see both PS5 and XSX are already compensating where they think they need more boost for balancing.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
Paul not an apple fan actually thinks these consoles are gonna cost 650-700.

He makes a few decent points, but I think he's wayyyy off base here. If AMD are planning on release their 80CU 20T+F Navi2X GPU in Q4, these consoles are gonna already look puny in comparison and I can't see them getting away with the kind of prices he's talking about.

I'm still firmly in the 399-499 camp.

He's making the age-old mistake of trying to price PC parts while taking into account bulk discounts. This is not how it works at all and is not a good starting point whatsoever in trying to figure out the retail price of these systems at all. I don't know what he's thinking.

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned

When engineer from intel says that PS5 looks really promising and 3d audio "stokes" him, it is not a small thing. Also many big dev agreed.

Xbots should stop the mad down talk or shut up if only thing they understand is 12>10.2

Well, after the launch things will be the same as in this gen, more popular one will dominate

Lng0004

Yeah, I mean, if they cant show PS5 games that look better than all those Series X games, they better shut it.

Yeah, I mean, if they cant show PS5 games that look better than all those Series X games, they better shut it.

No Sony should not shut it. They MUST show it. They have no choice but to show it. Spec revealing is now over for both companies. Just show us the games, and for Sony specifically show us the new immersive way of playing: VR, Sound, Haptic Feedback etc. Specs wont matter as long as the games demonstrate the content creators original vision.

I really do think we are going to get the best of both worlds. Sony's silence is just painful to endure.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned

This tweet is exactly right in that these kind of leaps in technology are long overdue and another reason why I think next gen will follow the same/similar pricing as this gen. For far too long have we as consumers been enslaved of the hegemony of Intel + Nvidia who have kept prices high and given us super modest increases in performance and core count year-on-year. It has been frankly disgusting and the hen is coming home to roost on these disgusting, toxic companies.

They've been on a rampage of gouging consumers for every last penny while doing the absolute bare minimum and feeding us a pack of lies for nigh-on a generation.

I hope society can hold it all together throughout this year and beyond to get these systems launched and AMD's new cards out, because it's gonna be a bloodbath.

CJY

Banned
No Sony should not shut it. They MUST show it. They have no choice but to show it. Spec revealing is now over for both companies. Just show us the games, and for Sony specifically show us the new immersive way of playing: VR, Sound, Haptic Feedback etc. Specs wont matter as long as the games demonstrate the content creators original vision.

I really do think we are going to get the best of both worlds. Sony's silence is just painful to endure.

Patience is key. I'm OK with the wait.

Patience is key. I'm OK with the wait.

I dont know why they are being so cautious. There is nothing to fear. The next gen games and its graphics especially from 1st party studios are going to be fine and dandy. I want to play a great game with great graphics, with great story and new way of playing. SHOW IT.
Talking the talk is fine up to a certain time period. Now walk the walk. Make me forget about all these filppidy flops. Make me SEE it, make me HEAR it, make me FEEL it.

kyliethicc

From what i read 3D audio and other audio calculations wil be done on the audio chip, but audio RT in particular will be done by dedicated RT hardware that also handles visuals.
BTW the tempest audio engine is more than likely is proprietary since Sony based it and improved upon the CELL's SPU design for the redesigned CU
Yeah and Tempest can probably do ray tracing because it started as a RDNA GPU CU and was then customized by Sony. So on Xbox devs will still likely need to use the GPU if they want to hardware audio ray tracing. But PS5 Tempest SPU might allow devs to move some of that work off the GPU to the Tempest SPU, freeing up more of the GPU to accelerate ray tracing for lightning or something else. I think.

CJY

Banned
I dont know why they are being so cautious. There is nothing to fear. The next gen games and its graphics especially from 1st party studios are going to be fine and dandy. I want to play a great game with great graphics, with great story and new way of playing. SHOW IT.
Talking the talk is fine up to a certain time period. Now walk the walk. Make me forget about all these filppidy flops. Make me SEE it, make me HEAR it, make me FEEL it.
I don't think it's caution really. I just think they have a plan and they're sticking to and and I'm fine with that. I'm excited too, but I'm very confident I'll be happy with what I see and I would rather see things closer to launch instead of a super-duper long wait.

I think Sony did this on purpose, you cant tell me that the ps5 can't run ps1 or ps2 titles? Hell even ps3 if they tried. They want to keep pushing psnow is my only explanation.

I wanted to hear Mark Cerny say you can play almost all or most PlayStation game since PS1, enhanced, upscaled so badly that when I saw that slide my heart almost tanked. On top of that imagine playing the old games online on ps5 for fun and nostalgia.

But... no. :messenger_loudly_crying:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
What confusion and disappointment? What are you confused about?

ethomaz

Banned

Actually both uses the same mensure.

Samsung 1TB = 931GiB (it shows that on Windows).

What the guy is trying to say is a bit confuse yet.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I have a 250 GB SSD from Samsung.

It's actually 232.83 GiB on Windows. Is Samsung cheap???:D
That because for some reason they use this shit since forever when bytes are not calculated with dividing it by 1024 how it should be, but with 1000.

ethomaz

Banned
That because for some reason they use this shit since forever when bytes are not calculated with dividing it by 1024 how it should be, but with 1000.
HD manufatures uses base 1000... all of them.
PC OS uses base 1024.

Sony reporting 825GB means it will show 768GiB on Windows or PS5’s OS.
MS 1TB will show 931GiB on Windows or Xbox’s OS.

Last edited:

B_Boss

ZOpZES3.png

Firstly, the total XSX memory bandwidth will never drop below 448 GB / s (560 - 112 = 448, 336 + 112 = 448). They have a common bus.
There should be at least equality of both. Although XSX can be mined more profitably in some cases.

kN4vLWB.png

Again, PS5 will be forced to share the bandwidth between the GPU and CPU, then the performance separately for the GPU and CPU will inevitably decrease.
Secondly, adding to red (bad) - a slower, but still sufficient fast SSD - is unjustified.

What is the source for the Sony graph? Very interesting 🍻. Please and thanks.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
HD manufatures uses base 1000... all of them.
PC OS uses base 1024.

Sony reporting 825GB means it will show 768GiB on Windows.
Well except it really does not matter after all, when Windows also use the same metric with file sizes.

Like, really?
Wtf it's like for someone a meter is 100 cm for one person and 107 cm for another. Why everything need to be overly complicate in tech? Can't they pick the oldest and original metric and use that forever?
Because you have to start with baseline of bit, so that gives you BASE-2, not BASE-10 number.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Like, really?
Wtf it's like for someone a meter is 100 cm and 107 cm for another. Why everything needs to be overly complicate in tech? Can't they pick the oldest and original metric and use that forever?
There is a lot of articles explaining it.
It is the same as Miles vs Kilometers.

Last edited:

SonGoku

Yeah and Tempest can probably do ray tracing because it started as a RDNA GPU CU and was then customized by Sony. So on Xbox devs will still likely need to use the GPU if they want to hardware audio ray tracing. But PS5 Tempest SPU might allow devs to move some of that work off the GPU to the Tempest SPU, freeing up more of the GPU to accelerate ray tracing for lightning or something else. I think.
idk man, Cerny did say its main purpose is 3D audio, and they would gladly say if it was capable of audio RT
Audio RT will likely be done by GPU RT hw. The resource consumption is very small for a RT capable GPU anyways

Well except it really does not matter after all, when Windows also use the same metric with file sizes.

Because you have to start with baseline of bit, so that gives you BASE-2, not BASE-10 number.
2 and 10 are still even numbers, you can get 1010 as a metric either with 2 or 10.
Anyway the other guy gave me an article so I will read that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom