• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Not trying to defend SONY in any way, shape, or form, as I believe that Microsoft's offering will be as quiet as it seems to be powerful, but there's something we need to consider - you can't have audio being one of your core features for this generation, and yet have a loud console. This is why I think SONY went for a console that doesn't push itself extremely hard to reach a TF count that, from SONY's standpoint, serves them no purpose (increased graphical fidelity in this era of diminishing returns).

Going for a 9.2TF console that, if needed, pushes itself to 10.28TF is perhaps the balance they struck between having a whisper quiet console that delivers on sound but also performance.

What remains to be seen is if Microsoft's Series X manages to deliver on all 3 without the power compromise of SONY.

Hopefully, multiplatforms don't take as hard a hit as they did back on the PS3 vs. 360 generation. I hated having inferior multiplatforms, but the PS3's exclusives were more appealing to me at the time.

Is this a joke?! Or are yall trolling at this point? The console is 10.28TFs. It's NOT 9.2TFs but then boosted up. It's 10.28TFs and downclocks to 10.08 in the most extreme situations.

Aceofspades

Banned
he literally changed his approach because of that headache. to me, that implies it was clearly not working out for them.

either way, that line is bs because we know MS blew past that 3ghz aspirin limit hitting up to 3.8 ghz with simple vapor chamber cooling.

they dont get to make excuses like that because their competitor went with a simple wide and slow design, and managed to hit cpu clocks of 3.8 ghz with a 44% bigger gpu to boot, at half their power budget.

3.8 ghz is single threaded. Cerny didn't even mention that on PS5.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
3.8 ghz is single threaded. Cerny didn't even mention that on PS5.
i know i mentioned that above. their multi threaded is still 3.6 ghz which is over ps5's 3.5 variable limit. and well over the 3 ghz limit that was giving them so many headaches they went with variable clocks.

its a bs excuse knowing what we know about the xbox.

rnlval

Everyone will forget TFs when they see the Demon's Souls glorious ray-traced armor reflections.

Meanwhile Xbox first two years games will be designed around a 1.3TF GPU, Jaguar CPU, and an ancient HDD (Xbone).

Anyone buying XBox Series X for the graphics will be regretting his decision very quickly.

Yes, I am very salty about that 9.2TF number, damn you insiders!!!!!!!
Well, Sony attached PS4 HDD to SATA-to-USB bridge LOL.

SonGoku

i wouldnt be surprised if the ps5 is rdna 1.0 with rdna 2.0 features like ray tracing. the way cerny talked about helping amd with features and then warning us that 'certain features in the amd discrete gpus might not be in the ps5 because we didnt want them'
He literally said the opposite of what you just typed... come on dude at this point you are just posting fake news

"We have our own need for playstation and that can factor into what the amd roadmap becomes"
"If we bring concepts to AMD felt to be widely useful then they can be adopted and used broadly including PC GPUs"
"if the ideas are sufficiently specific.. like the GPU cache scrubbers then they end up being just for us"
"if you see a similar GPU available as a PC card roughly at the same time we release that means our collaboration succeeded in producing technology useful in both worlds, it doesn't mean we simply incorporated the PC part into our console"

At no point did he say anything about certain features missing from PS5, If anything this implies the PS5 will have more features than your standard RDNA2 discrete card

Custom RDNA2 based GPU... just like the xbox

Last edited:

Zero707

If I carry on trolling, report me.
Is this a joke?! Or are yall trolling at this point? The console is 10.28TFs. It's NOT 9.2TFs but then boosted up. It's 10.28TFs and downclocks to 10.08 in the most extreme situations.
if it's 10.08TF under most extreme situations then why didn't cerny locked the clock the GPU to get 10.08TF ? Fixed clocks will always be better for consoles than variable clocks

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Does anyone know if the next gens have native Bluetooth earphone support?
It sucks i cant use my bt buds on my 1x and pro.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Inarguably, the key components of any computing machine are its CPU, memory, and graphics chip. So, despite the amazing rate at which the PS5 can process data due to its custom SSD and I/O custimization, it's inarguably weaker than the Xbox Series X due to having a slower CPU, a smaller GPU, and memory that's slower than the fastest portion of the Xbox Series X's memory.

Why do you think Sony made decisions in regard to the specifications of the PS5's CPU, memory, and graphics chip that have resulted in these components being inferior to those of the Xbox Series X?

I have heard that the reason was to save money, but I can't imagine that as the reason because I've read that the cost to manufacture each unit of the PS5 isn't much less than that to manufacture the Xbox Series X (~$50). Was Sony not aware of what Microsoft was targeting? Is each company truly capable of maintaining secrecy in regard to their targets and designs?

By the way, despite the inferiority of the PS5, I'm still excited for it because it's still powerful and because PlayStation consistently has better, more varied, and more numerous exclusives than Xbox. Also, the Xbox platform is redundant for me because I have a PC (i.e. i7 5820k, Asus X99 Deluxe, 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, etc); however, I'll still get an XSX for its novelty.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
SlimySnake SlimySnake nothing Cerny said seemed like a used car salesman lmao

he’s jus laying out the justification for why they made certain design decisions

it’ll be ok. Games running on PS5 will look indistinguishable from XSX, and the investment in a better SSD was a wise choice, even if it doesn’t wow people on paper. The devs that are working on the machine are definitely wowed and that’s what matters

Last edited:
Who is Chris Granell? What devs has this person spoken with that said the difference was "staggering"? The dude obviously follows Timdog.

I dont think there are developers out there that would call the difference between the two consoles staggering.
How can you be sure about that? Do you have both dev kits? It’s very plausible for the difference between PS5 and XSX being staggering. XSX has a 2 TF edge on PS5 and has many software technologies in DX12 that could make the difference bigger than the raw TF numbers. Plus PS5’s TF peak is based on variable frequencies. Who knows how well that works in the real world. SSD speeds deteriorate fast with heat, are we sure PS5’s cooling can keep its SSD working at peak speed under continuous load?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

"if the ideas are sufficiently specific.. like the GPU cache scrubbers then they end up being just for us"
"if you see a similar GPU available as a PC card roughly at the same time we release that means our collaboration succeded in producing technology useful in both worlds, it doesn't mean we simply incorporated the PC part into our console"

yeah, thats the warning i am talking about. you gotta read between the lines. hes talking about a discrete pc gpu that will come out later this year, and hes telling us that it doesnt mean we took that entire gpu and put it into our console. there is zero reason to say this. it heavily implies that certain features in that pc wont be in their gpu and vice versa.

SonGoku

either way, that line is bs because we know MS blew past that 3ghz aspirin limit hitting up to 3.8 ghz with simple vapor chamber cooling.
The problem with your logic here is you are assuming their cooling solution was the same as MS when in reality they aren't going for a desktop tower type design
For their thermal design 3GHz was causing headaches not for MS, they were also working with early samples.
not with the chip pushing 2.23 GHz clock speed
Smaller chip helps with yields.
Yields for a bigger chip with that high frequency would be much worse

SlimySnake

SlimySnake SlimySnake nothing Cerny said seemed like a used car salesman lmao

he’s jus laying out the justification for why they made certain design decisions

it’ll be ok. Games running on PS5 will look indistinguishable from XSX, and the investment in a better SSD was a wise choice, even if it doesn’t wow people on paper. The devs that are working on the machine are definitely wowed and that’s what matters
i am watching it right now. there are so many qualifiers and excuses i feel like i am reading a panello post from 2013.

give it another shot. especially the gpu part that starts around the 25 minute mark.

The problem with your logic here is you are assuming their cooling solution was the same as MS when in reality they aren't going for a desktop tower type design
For their thermal design 3GHz was causing headaches not for MS, they were also working with early samples.

Smaller chip helps with yields.
Yields for a bigger chip with that high frequency would be much worse
Chips that require high frequency have lesser yields.

SonGoku

there is zero reason to say this. it heavily implies that certain features in that pc wont be in their gpu and vice versa.
Uhm yes...
Same thing happened when Pro released, RX470/480 launched around the same time except Pro had polaris features plus some more (rpm, checkerboard tech etc), people just assumed Pro used a off the shelf 480 with units disabled

You aren't reading between the lines, you are doing confirmation bias
I know Smaller chip helps with yields but here you have to make sure every chip hit 2.23 GHz clock speed especially for Mass product like consoles
Chips that require high frequency have lesser yields.
Sure im not saying it will be perfect im just saying being a smaller chip will help with yields, Xbox isn't running at slow frequencies either and with a bigger die size too boot. Im sure both manufacturers taken into account yields for their release date
Worst case scenario there's a delay or shortage

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
i am watching it right now. there are so many qualifiers and excuses i feel like i am reading a panello post from 2013.

give it another shot. especially the gpu part that starts around the 25 minute mark.

the more I watched the more impressed I was with their vision

he basically found all the bottlenecks and ended up crafting a greatly balanced console which should be produced at an efficient cost.

He was extremely focused on developer ease and what would allow developers the best hardware tools to create games

I don’t see anything to be upset about. 10.3 RDNA2 TF is nearly 15 GCN TF, almost 4x the Pro

the SSD is the biggest difference maker that will allow for more efficient use of RAM, better streaming LOD systems, higher resolution textures and more varied assets

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
yeah, thats the warning i am talking about. you gotta read between the lines. hes talking about a discrete pc gpu that will come out later this year, and hes telling us that it doesnt mean we took that entire gpu and put it into our console. there is zero reason to say this. it heavily implies that certain features in that pc wont be in their gpu and vice versa.
It reads like he got a PC GPU and added what they thought it was important for them and not what are you trying to imply.

rnlval

That’s what most people think but nothing definitive has come out yet.
XSX has 52 CU, hence it has more RT cores when compared PS5.

RDNA v2's RT cores run in parallel with shader cores, hence more demands on GDDR6 memory pool, hence 3D engine needs to heavily use resource conservation tricks for the raster side.

XSX GPU (560 GB/s)** has higher peak memory bandwidth when compared to PS5 GPU (448GB/s)**.

**Not factoring CPU's memory bandwidth needs e.g. PC CPU's 128bit DDR4-3200 has 51 GB/s.

the more I watched the more impressed I was with their vision

he basically found all the bottlenecks and ended up crafting a greatly balanced console which should be produced at an efficient cost.

He was extremely focused on developer ease and what would allow developers the best hardware tools to create games

I don’t see anything to be upset about. 10.3 RDNA2 TF is nearly 15 GCN TF, almost 4x the Pro

the SSD is the biggest difference maker that will allow for more efficient use of RAM, better streaming LOD systems, higher resolution textures and more varied assets
This.

I'm happy with PS5 specs. Yeah would have like more raw power but 10TF is still good enough for me.
What I want to see is how the Series X uses its hardware advantage. Im sure MS has crafted a highly efficient machine here too. They are no mugs.

Nope... bigger chips has lesser yields.
Frequency averages at same for all chips... the different between the ones that can reach better clocks are 100-200Mhz max.
when a chip is required to run at ultra high frequencies, a higher % will be binned that can‘t maintain that frequency reliably.

And 2.23 GHz is not a normal frequency whatsoever.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
This.

I'm happy with PS5 specs. Yeah would have like more raw power but 10TF is still good enough for me.
What I want to see is how the Series X uses its hardware advantage. Im sure MS has crafted a highly efficient machine here too. They are no mugs.

I posed this question earlier, but what would you rather have?

Option A: A console runs at a 16% higher resolution, but the textures look blurrier because you have more VRAM wasted with redundant assets and can't instantly load in higher quality textures. More pop-in because you're having to manage a less effective streaming system.

Option B: A console that sacrifies 16% in resolution, but features far greater texture detail, drastically reduced LOD, and superior loading times thanks to almost instantaneous filling of VRAM by the SSD?

What are gamers going to notice? The resolution boost, or the fact that the texture quality is much greater and features less pop in?

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
when a chip is required to run at ultra high frequencies, a higher % will be binned that can‘t maintain that frequency reliably.

It's likely not an issue with RDNA2. We already have benchmarks on RDNA1 showing that 1.8-2.0 frequencies are pretty standard. 2.23, while high, is not unreasonable since we are on RDNA2.

ethomaz

Banned

Is not?
Which is the normal frequency for RDNA?
AMD claims 50% increase in perf. per watt for RDNA 2.

Seems how the high clock fits with AMD talk.

RDNA 2 not reaching 2.3Ghz will tell more about AMD lying than anything related to PS5.

Last edited:
This is the smallest gap that there's been between two consoles and when you consider this quote, things are certainly going to be interesting:

”Again, this is another thing that is hard to imagine. I've only worked on consoles as far back as PS3/360 generation up to current boxes, and all of them have been so incredibly slow to fill your RAM that you are designing around the streaming and loading bottlenecks. When Mark was talking about having a drive so fast that you could just clear your RAM and in a blink of an eye and load a whole 10+ GB of assets in there my mind was racing. His example of "no need for a giant canyon corridor to load the next vista" is entirely appropriate. It's one of those things that may not even be obvious to the player the way a load screen comparison would be. World and game design will just change in a qualitative way that is not easily measurable."

The potential there is insane. It's like having a few less trucks but they're packed to the rim and delivering their boxes faster vs more trucks and less deliverered boxes. 😂

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Option A: A console runs at a 16% higher resolution, but the textures look blurrier because you have more VRAM wasted with redundant assets and can't instantly load in higher quality textures. More pop-in because you're having to manage a less effective streaming system.

Option B: A console that sacrifies 16% in resolution, but features far greater texture detail, drastically reduced LOD, and superior loading times thanks to almost instantaneous filling of VRAM by the SSD?

What are gamers going to notice? The resolution boost, or the fact that the texture quality is much greater and features less pop in?
A.

You're pinning your dreams on the only thing PS5 has better than SeX, which is an SSD that is 3.1 gb/s faster (5.5 vs 2.4). SeX's SSD is already 20x faster than a console HDD.

Instead of comparing against SeX, you should also publicly pitch comparing against a good PC rig, which surely the average gamer has an even slower SSD or not even an SSD at all.

Last edited:

rnlval

When engineer from intel says that PS5 looks really promising and 3d audio "stokes" him, it is not a small thing. Also many big dev agreed.

Xbots should stop the mad down talk or shut up if only thing they understand is 12>10.2

Well, after the launch things will be the same as in this gen, more popular one will dominate

Reminder: Intel should release their PCI-E 4.0 motherboards ASAP.

rnlval

AMD claims 50% perf/watt improvements over RDNA v1.

RDNA v2 40 CU with 2230 Mhz boost mode for NAVI 10 replacement is not strange.

Gamerguy84

Tough one, but people tend to focus on the action while in game. Which is typically the center point on the screen.

Me and a friend of mine did an experiment in the beginning of current gen.

We had same exact TVs since it was a good sale item. He brought his XB1 over and loaded BF4 while I loaded BF4 on my PS4. Neither of us could see a difference on 55" screens. The biggest difference was color, the XB version was darker on same settings.

Also, CB4k looks great. It wouldnt bother me a bit if PS5 scaled some games from 1800.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I don't think people are aware of quite how effective proper 3D/binaural audio is and unfortunately conveying it to people without them trying it is akin to VR.

Before I put on a VR headset my assumption was it's just going to be like a big screen wrapped around in front of me, in 3D and it would simply be "more immersive". Even with all the hype and explanations out there, I wasn't prepared for "presence". When a character gets up in your face you really feel them stood there. I thought I'd still be looking into the world, not literally placed within it. This is the exact same thing for that can be achieved for audio.

Building a convincing virtual soundscape is a vast technological undertaking in itself, but it's just the beginning. You have to convey it to the individual and this appears to be the first solution that not just covers every link in the chain but goes balls to the wall with it, providing the means to do it properly.

You've got the soundscape itself and the audio properties of the assets, you've got the convolution and bouncing of the audio itself, you have a hundred or so of those objects all emitting their own audio within that space and they're all dynamic, mobile and being updated hundreds of times a second... think bullets whizzing through the air, planes flying overhead, raindrops hitting the floor, team mates calling out to you, wind blowing through the trees. You then probe sound from the player's location and have to run it through a transfer function that mimics the acoustic properties a human head and most importantly the structure of the inner ear and how sound bounces throughout it, the more personalised it is, the better.

It's not just stereo but wider, it's not virtual surround, it's not more fidelity in itself.. Your brain should be able to pinpoint the location of everything around you, not just forwards/backwards, left/right but also height. Not just a case of direction but how far away too. This has functional gameplay implications too. Competitive online games will be great.

3D audio has appeared many times over many years often with a lot of trickery, but never with such an expansive amount of potentially dynamic audio sources; and with a pure path from those sources to the ear.

I've been privileged to have a sound engineer create a personalised HRTF profile back in 2016 by using probe mics in my ears and creating impulse responses of my head/ears. The audio I got to listen to was recorded in New York on the usual neumann dummy head with in-ear mics before having additional algorithms applied to it. I listened back on some in-ear monitors worth about £40 and it was the most convincing audio I've ever heard in my life. The striking nature of it made me feel like I was more there than I actually would be if I was really there. "More human than human?"...."More there than there!".

If this can be achieved in a virtual world where imagination as opposed to reality is the driving force, then that's something truly special. And Cerny said all the right things to make me think it can be done. Even cooler is that they at least want virtualise this to make the best of less optimal sound devices such as TVs and Soundbars.

From what we've heard so far MS/NinjaTheory have simply said XSX has "3d audio" whereas Cerny has detailed a promising and highly custom solution in hardware, software and potential approaches to custom HRTF. If it turns out that Sony does indeed have the stronger solution then that is honestly more important to me -- and I think in terms of moving the industry forward -- than ~1980p vs ~2160p for eg.

However, I don't mean to be fanboyish, I'm just stating whats important to me and how awesome this could be. If XSX comes up with something similar, that's great, the more standardised this is and the more people who at least get a chance to try it, the better.

Even 24yrs later, the best quick and dirty example of binaural audio out there is probably the famous qsound virtual barbershop, by comparison the soundscape is constrained and the fidelity relatively poor. And without a tailored HRTF profile it lacks that real sense of locality, decent earphones are also more effective on it than headphones, it does not work with speakers. It's still super cool though and a great little taster, though I'm sure half this forum have heard it by now:

This sound video may have been one of the COOLEST things in this thread. If anybody listens to it, PLEASE only do so with headphones on AND close your eyes. Sony maybe on to something with this Tempsest Audio engine.

Neo_game

to me this confirms the fact that the ps5 gpu is probably 9.2 tflops and the variable clocks are mostly likely never hit.

i am expecting at least a 30% difference in resolution, and maybe even some ray tracing sacrifices.

looking at the simulating gonzalo chart, a 2.23 ghz gpu would be over 250w by itself on rdna 1.0. on rdna 2.0, thats 165w. thats the entire power consumption of the x1x minus 5w. this is before the cpu, before the ram, the ssd and other items on the board. we are looking at a 265w system. xbox on the other hand should come in around 100w for the gpu, and 200w for the entire system. 2.23 is a pipe dream.

resultsshjg4.png

no one in their right mind would release a console that consumes 65 more watts and offers 20% less performance. which is why they will probably average around 2.0 ghz and call it a day.

oh and before someone says im calling cerny a liar, well he did say that hitting 3.0 ghz in the cpu was impossible without variable clocks. we know thats a lie because ms was able to hit 3.6 ghz with fixed clocks. 3.8 with smt off. that entire conference was full of excuses and fud like this. we know from ms, going wide and slow-ish works so well they got to 12 tflops. he also said that 36 cu at faster clocks is better than 48 cu with lower clocks. there is simply no way thats true or amd wouldnt be releasing an 80 cu gpu.

dont believe everything he said in that presentation.

I think he clearly mentioned that the drop would be 2% and it depends on cpu usage as well. Most gfx card uses something like 95% to 98% most times. So I think this 9.2tf is BS. It is also obvious the use of running at higher clock speed. If you can have both it is great. I guess most people prefer lower clocks because of heat issues. So as long as Sony has good cooling and heat dissipation. I do not see any problem. Though going with only 36cu was really surprising. But he was giving reason for the design choices which is completely fare.

Gamerguy84

This sound video may have been one of the COOLEST things in this thread. If anybody listens to it, PLEASE only do so with headphones on AND close your eyes. Sony maybe on to something with this Tempsest Audio engine.

I agree. People need to get on board with the 3d audio. It really adds another sensory experience to a game and lets the user enjoy it at a higher level.

Especially now because most TV manufacturers cut cost by having horrible speakers if you buy a cheaper set. I at minimum have soundbars with every TV in the house.

Imtjnotu

he literally changed his approach because of that headache. to me, that implies it was clearly not working out for them.

they dont get to make excuses like that because their competitor went with a simple wide and slow design, and managed to hit cpu clocks of 3.8 ghz with a 44% bigger gpu to boot, at half their power budget.
Saying going above 3.5 was a headache went for using variable frequency. Not fixed like how current gen systems run it. One is 3.5 with HT and the other is 3.6 with HT.

Cerny whole deal if you payed attention was that you don't need to have a cpu stuck at that speed if it isn't doing much of anytbing at that time. That's why they went with frequency to only have the Cpu ramp up when needed.

Dling it that way leads to less heat, less fan, less noise.

Do you just act like a muppet or are you actually one?

Comparing Mark Cerny to a talking head from Microsoft that didn't even know that Europe is a continent, is very insulting. Go look at what Cerny has done in his career before comparing him to Albert Penello.

farmerboy

Cerny made a comment on cu size between ps4 and ps5.

Has anyone worked that back to roughly calculate ps5 cu size and see if that compares with xbox cu size? Not sure if barking up the wrong tree but thought this might show if we think there's been further custimization, particularly around RT performance.

Shmunter

Do you just act like a muppet or are you actually one?

Comparing Mark Cerny to a talking head from Microsoft that didn't even know that Europe is a continent, is very insulting. Go look at what Cerny has done in his career before comparing him to Albert Penello.
Duhhhh, I’m Albert Panelo..... Duhhhh, I like butterflies, Duhhhh, will you be my friend.

That’s my recollection of the guy. Am wrong?

Jon Neu

Banned

That's not what is going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom