• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo Blaster

James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford just caught up to the the PS5 thread on reee, moderation over there is truly embarrassing. Some of the bans starting with platocplx all the way to page 168 are just... is that their idea of instilling respect and authority?

Was fun seeing how nib called dictator on his bs, he clearly fucked up and is now backtracking which is made so obvious here:
IwEIM4Y.png

6aDmWwG.png

0o70Npr.png
Whoa, that nib guy was banned for throwing Dictator's lines on his face after he denied them? And was accused of antagonizing behavior? When did REE become a dictatorship(no pun intended)?

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Sorry friend, you might be a touch confused there. It hasn't been "available" - the technology was unveiled in November of 2019, and DirectX 12 Ultimate was only publically unveiled on March 19 of 2020. Developers may have had access to the technology earlier, but they'll be under tight NDAs if they're using Microsoft's proprietary technology. As for a demo, like all of the DX12U features, Microsoft have implemented "developer demos". The demo for SFS demonstrates rendering a more accurate scene faster at 1/10th of the VRAM, and they highlight the gains will only improve in real-world scenarios due to the nature of the technology. The video I linked above is a part of a series, each one showing off the features of DX12U and going under the hood on the hows and whys. This is why I'm sold on the tech - Microsoft have the science to prove the theory, and AMD and Nvidia built the hardware to use it.
And on top of that the guy in the tweet literally says

"Gamers comparing Xbox Series X vs. PS5 aren't factoring in Microsoft's dark horse: BCPack. We don't have any real details yet, but it's possible that BCPack will be stronger than RDO BCx encoding+Kraken compression."

As in we have no damn clue about it besides" but it's possible "

And the. Added this.
" Yes, dramatically less demanding. However, PS5 devs can encode their textures in a special way (with rate distortion optimization or "RDO"), and this combined with Kraken should make up for the lack of a BCPack equivalent in hardware."

FranXico

nib95, if you are reading this, join us.

Same person btw guy in front of TV with long sleeves . So casually downplaying a 40% difference in 2013 and now 17% is significantly superior
It's not like it won't ever be noticeable. For sure, it will. But these people always throw the concepts of scale and diminishing returns out the window whenever they want to gloat.

Never forget:
2811890-1541165371-IGN.g.gif

Same person btw guy in front of TV with long sleeves . So casually downplaying a 40% difference in 2013 and now 17% is significantly superior :messenger_dizzy:🤔
It should also be noted that the 40% difference is only referring to teraflops. The XB1 had other bottlenecks such as having only half the ROPs as the PS4, low system memory bandwidth, really small esRAM, and a GPU that had very little GPGPU compute capability.

Dory16

Banned
The running mechanic, when running at super speed, can be partially automated such that prior to running, the player can select or create a route to their destination. Then, when they actually run at super speed, the character would automatically traverse the route BUT the player would have to hit a button on the D-pad when they reach an intersection with perfect timing , which would be the aspect of the super-speed running mechanic that will require skill from the player. Furthermore, the player would have to hit one of the action buttons (triangle, square, cross, and circle) when they're about to crash into something or someone. Sounds awesome, doesn't it?
If I want a racing game I already have forza and GT. Even in those I want to be able to admire the Bathurst lanscape and sky while I drive at high speeds. The idea that a game should be made where the player "runs" at a speed that blurs out everything around him and should still be expected to negotiate turns just because the SSD is fast, is lunacy. Nobody sane would ever design a game like that. And If Sony tried to masturbate with their hardware in that manner, the critics would bury the game, as much as some fanboys would love to say "look at this (weird, useless) thing that the SSD in my favourite console can do".

BluRayHiDef

Banned
If I want a racing game I already have forza and GT. Even in those I want to be able to admire the Bathurst lanscape and sky while I drive at high speeds. The idea that a game should be made where the player "runs" at a speed that blurs out everything around him and should still be expected to negotiate turns just because the SSD is fast, is lunacy. Nobody sane would ever design a game like that. And If Sony tried to masturbate with their hardware in that manner, the critics would bury the game, as much as some fanboys would love to say "look at this (weird, useless) thing that the SSD in my favourite console can do".

The player could have the ability to choose the speed at which they want to run and the lower-tier speeds would be fast but not so fast that the environment would be blurred.. In fact, in the demonstration of the PS5 streaming the environment of New York City in Spider-Man as the camera zooms through the city very quickly, there's no motion blur; the city is very discernible.

Dory16

Banned
The player could have the ability to choose the speed at which they want to run and the lower-tier speeds would be fast but not so fast that the environment would be blurred.. In fact, in the demonstration of the PS5 streaming the environment of New York City in Spider-Man as the camera zooms through the city very quickly, there's no motion blur; the city is very discernible.
I disagree, the environment is not very discernable in the spider man PS5 demo. That traversal is too fast to be fun if it's a playable sequence. The whole RPG gameplay elements around spider man's acrobatics go out the window during that traversal. It's just too quick to be playable. It would need to be a cutscene or use QT elements or a pre-set route like you suggested which are gimmicks not popular with gamers.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I disagree, the environment is not very discernable in the spider man PS5 demo. That traversal is too fast to be fun if it's a playable sequence. The whole RPG gameplay elements around spider man's acrobatics go out the window during that traversal. It's just too quick to be playable. It would need to be a cutscene or use QT elements or a pre-set route like you suggested which are gimmicks not popular with gamers.
Fine. Then play games on Xbox Series X and be happy.

Last edited:

Dont forget to include the source: 👇

Last edited:
they have to pander to their “verified” users, no matter how much they throw a hissy fit and blast the entire community

Dictator is extremely unprofessional as a journalist, but it’s not like the standards are high

Do you think that if I would quote Dictator to remind him this I would be banned too? :)

Timestamped: PS5 is not going to have hardware-based ray tracing

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford just caught up to the the PS5 thread on reee, moderation over there is truly embarrassing. Some of the bans starting with platocplx all the way to page 168 are just... is that their idea of instilling respect and authority?

Was fun seeing how nib called dictator on his bs, he clearly fucked up and is now backtracking which is made so obvious here:
IwEIM4Y.png

6aDmWwG.png

0o70Npr.png

Lol another nice damage control from dictator
bw4esvW.jpg
1465692039-1465686108-lol.png

tZcexpP.png

Last edited:

Fake

IwEIM4Y.png

6aDmWwG.png

0o70Npr.png

This is really really embarrassing. Very unprofessional behavior. This time Dictator exceeded the ethics limit.

Last edited:

Ascend

Also is a bad as decision as a professional why do you want to close the doors in another company? just because you like more one console ... really ?
The developer stated why they are not supporting PlayStation;

Where's the support for PlayStation?
PS4/5 development kits are far too expensive for me to obtain (they are in excess of $4000, compared to Switch's $400 and Xbox's $0 dev mode). Unless someone wants to donate me a couple of PS4/5 devkits, I have no plans to support the platform. I apologize for any inconvience this may cause. Talk to Sony about lowering the price of their devkits to something reasonable if you are unhappy. You are of course free to make your own PS4/5 fork of Void2D, as long as it remains open source. If I do manage to get my hands on some PS4/5 devkits I may even use your code in the main branch, and of course you will be fully credited.

pasterpl

What we know, because Mark Cerny confirmed so, is that there is a "custom decompression unit built in the I/O which is capable of handling up tp 22gb/s is the data is particularly well compressed"

We also know how the XSX SDD performs with simplistic & low resolution textures games.

PS: Please note that there is no trace of DX12 Ultimate fantasies in there☝ :)

interestingly the xbonex version of sod2 also have similar issues with textures and Lod loading.

ethomaz

Banned

PS4/5 development kits are far too expensive for me to obtain (they are in excess of $4000, compared to Switch's $400 and Xbox's $0 dev mode). Unless someone wants to donate me a couple of PS4/5 devkits, I have no plans to support the platform. I apologize for any inconvience this may cause. Talk to Sony about lowering the price of their devkits to something reasonable if you are unhappy. You are of course free to make your own PS4/5 fork of Void2D, as long as it remains open source. If I do manage to get my hands on some PS4/5 devkits I may even use your code in the main branch, and of course you will be fully credited.

Free devkits begging lol

Aceofspades

Banned

That's explains why this weeb is defending Xbox with his life 🤣

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

No Xbox dev kit. Just a PC
No PS5 dev kit
Modded Switch

:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Edit: Xbox has a free dev mode.
devkit-activation-2.png

Last edited:
Who said it wasn't patched? Of course it was optimized, and SoD2 was obviously not, hence MS lost a perfect opportunity to show their SSD/IO solution at its best.
How do you optimize a loading ? Because it wasn't optimized in the first place to cope with 20MB/s HDDs ? That's ridiculous. It's just the game with the debug enabled with additionnal debug functions (like setting the speed of fast travel).

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
How do you optimize a loading ?

You load less data up front, and stream more data in the background.

Something not possible on a 5400 RPM HD with high CPU usage.

That's what SSDs enable at minimum (especially with low CPU usage tech); not only can you load data FASTER you don't need to load it all ahead of time because you can just load what needs to be loaded for what the player can see / move to quickly, and can load the rest in the background, and then swap those background assets out as the player moves.

Most current games do not actually change their design that way to handle an SSD, instead you just get the same data loading scheme just faster.

Last edited:
Laugh all you want the highest poly character in the game wasn't even on screen
Because it couldn't, Spiderman would look silly at that speed. But it's irrelevant, because Spiderman wasn't even on the PS4 Pro version, the difference would be proportionaly the exact same even with it.
And unless you can prove that Spiderman's model will slow down the system in a relevant way, your talk is just useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom