• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shmunter

Anybody expecting extensive use of Ray Tracing in 4k60, AAA games are delusional. Keeps your expectations in check.
The only silver lining in all this is standardisation. All PS5/XsX consoles will bring the hardware. This breaks down barriers for experimentation and innovation to all devs. Just as game engines and techniques evolve, so can RT.

We may yet see good results with les cost than anticipated. Or not, but it’s the best shot yet.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Anybody expecting extensive use of Ray Tracing in 4k60, AAA games are delusional. Keeps your expectations in check.

Most if not all ppl here are enthusiasts, thy should know better. Most ppl here have been gaming for generations.

Doesn't mean we can't see some good results in first party games and some third party games with use of checkerboarding and 30fps instead. A new Souls game for example could look good with RT implementation, isn't graphically demanding as other games, works fine at 30fps, etc...

Last edited:
i've wonder if ps5 could do audio, gi, shadows and reflections at same time? or its just combinations of them but not all of them ar given frame? cerny mentioned that he saw game runing with RT reflections with moderate penalty on gpu, moderate is about 10% - 20%? that would be high just for reflections but not every frame you need to calculate reflections so it's more dynamic i guess.
Yes, it's already doing all of it in Quantom Error which targets 4K60fps:

Thirty7ven

Banned
The only silver lining in all this is standardisation. All PS5/XsX consoles will bring the hardware. This breaks down barriers for experimentation and innovation to all devs. Just as game engines and techniques evolve, so can RT.

We may yet see good results with les cost than anticipated. Or not, but it’s the best shot yet.

Very true and I would also say it will be an interesting boost for the development of smaller scale games.

I also suspect midgen refreshes will lean heavily on the promise of Ray Tracing as opposed to something as worthless as 8K.

Tripolygon

Banned
Moores Law Is Dead

I have checked the original source and it is FALSE he claims to have images from the PS5 APU or SSD Controller.

He only claim to know that Marvell is making the PS5 SDD Controller. That is all.

KHImSq1.png
That memory controller will have Sony Interactive Entertainment printed on it not Marvell. Notice how even though AMD designed the APU in both consoles yet they have Microsoft and Sony names on them? That's because they paid for those designs. Marvell does make custom ASICs for anyone but like i said, it will have the customer's name on it. Marvell does not fabricate their controllers, they use TSMC and Global Foundry. Sony will be using one of those or Samsung as well to make their controllers.

For example PS4 Wifi module is made by Marvell, not a custom design
ps4-WiFi-Module1.jpg

PS4 also has a custom design network coprocessor by Marvell but this time it has SCE (Sony computer entertainment)
ps4-Network-Co-Pro.jpg

Essentially I'm saying its BS. He does not know who is making Sony's SSD controller.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
So, in addition to the eight Zen2 cores in the CPU, the PS5 figuratively has 9 more Zen2 cores, which means that it has the processing power of seventeen Zen2 cores?
That's the type of marketing bullshit Console makers use to use back in the days. Thankfully that stopped (kinda) in the PS3 era. Those other processors are Application Specific Integrated Circuit aka ASIC. They are good at one or two things. So it is disingenuous to say PS5 figuratively has the processing power of 17 Zen2 cores. Any given electronic device has 10s of processors that do various things separate from the main CPU and GPU.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
It tells you more about Phil than those nerdy psychopaths.

Tht fake "we are all gamers and not trying to undercut eachother" talk tht comes out of Phil's mouth is all bs. He'll get on stage and say something to that effect then thirty minutes later there will be a Twitter tweet from Microsoft themselves throwing low blows and innuendos at Sony lol

Corporations are cut throat and its all obliterate mentality when thy are in tht war room strategizing lol

Last edited:
Nope. 4.8 GB/s is their theoretical compressed max. MS didn't say their typical speeds.

Seems even traditional Sony fans (not pejorative) don't seem to grasp how fast is Sony's SSD compared to MS.

I think it's because Sony put so many customizations into their I/O system that people don't really understand what the final product is as a whole. Sure Mark gave us those numbers but alot of people can't grasp what they really mean when it comes to gaming.

That memory controller will have Sony Interactive Entertainment printed on it not Marvell. Notice how even though AMD designed the APU in both consoles yet they have Microsoft and Sony names on them? That's because they paid for those designs. Marvell does make custom ASICs for anyone but like i said, it will have the customer's name on it. Marvell does not fabricate their controllers, they use TSMC and Global Foundry. Sony will be using one of those or Samsung as well to make their controllers.

For example PS4 Wifi module is made by Marvell, not a custom design

PS4 also has a custom design network coprocessor by Marvell but this time it has SCE (Sony computer entertainment)

Essentially I'm saying its BS. He does not know who is making Sony's SSD controller.

What a waste of time. I already explained a few posts later that the imagenes were placeholders, for reference only.

:)

Last edited:

B_Boss

You will get used to it. These speculations threads usually have a lot of conflicting ideals in them. It's best to just be cool about it unless you want you time in Gaf to be short.

god-of-war-funny-gif-1.gif

My evil side wishes that, whenever MoW bans someone he posts this gif instead 🤣....the banned member’s name placed right on Helios’ face too....ahem, sorry, back on topic me 🧐.

The more this goes on, everytime there is a heated discussion and think to partecipate I just realize that in few months we will see a lot of next gen games and fuck the rest lol

In other words, nextgen “birth pangs” 👌.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned

If only these consoles had some alternative to DLSS by AMD. Without such technology, there's no way that these consoles will be able to use Ray Tracing to a significant degree at 4K without running games at the speed of a slideshow.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Nope. 4.8 GB/s is their theoretical compressed max. MS didn't say their typical speeds.

Seems even traditional Sony fans (not pejorative) don't seem to grasp how fast is Sony's SSD compared to MS.

4.8 is the average speed. 6GB/s is the maximum for the hardware. Both systems are looking to average about 50% compression, which is typical. The biggest difference is in the speed of the data in, the faster you can feed the compression block, the more you get out of it.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
That's the type of marketing bullshit Console makers use to use back in the days. Thankfully that stopped (kinda) in the PS3 era. Those other processors are Application Specific Integrated Circuit aka ASIC. They are good at one or two things. So it is disingenuous to say PS5 figuratively has the processing power of 17 Zen2 cores. Any given electronic device has 10s of processors that do various things separate from the main CPU and GPU.

Well, I know that the decompressor is task specific. What I was referring to by my question was the total processing power of the CPU combined with the decompressor, when they're both imagined as one unit of which eight cores are free to work on things other than decompressing data because the other nine cores are decompressing data.

Since the PS5 will continuously move data to and fro as it's running a game, the task of decompressing data will be a constant one; therefore the decompressor can be thought of as always functioning as an extension of the PS5's CPU since CPUs usually perform this task in traditional computer systems (as far as I know). Hence, I think that the PS5 can genuinely be thought of as having the general processing power of seventeen Zen2 cores.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Continuing my post above: Subsequently, unless the decompressor of the XSX similarly completely offloads the task of decompressing data from the XSX's CPU, the PS5 will be effectively more powerful in regard to tasks typically performed by CPUs despite its CPU being clocked slightly lower than that of the XSX.

SonGoku

uhm... doesn't the Series X have a speed of 4.8 GB/s compressed? so exactly that kind of data what this is about, so why use the uncompressed speed of 2.5GB/s? meaning at 50% compression that would be 9.6GB/s, meaning it can fill the whole RAM pool in about 1.5sec.
The BCPack thing is hilarious: This joke is coming from a tweet from the guy I posted before. The guy even says that "We don't have any real details yet" but yet he starts a wild speculation about BCPack thing without any kind of evidence or real fundament.
The 4.8GB/s figure given by MS already accounts for BCPack (only texture streaming), so whatever he reveals its not going to affect that figure
You haven't proved any additional information on in low–order interleaving. You're a hypocrite.
I know the basics which you haven't refuted:
Data is spread across all chips and to access even a 1MB asset all chips must be read simultaneously

I find it funny how in just this new generation that the culling solutions are an essential part of the
hardware (Primitive shaders/Mesh Shaders) promising to optimize the use of memory and processing.

But on the other hand one of the most important innovations is the hardware is RT which shines for being able
to collect various data from the scenario even when it is not visible (basically light and sound).

I want to see how can work together both things.

Tripolygon

Banned
What a waste of time. I already explained in few posts later that the imagenes were placeholders, for reference only.
:)
Exclusive: Marvell is making the PS5 SSD controller. Then proceeds to show what appears to have a Sony label on it with a SSD using a Marvell controller. That is clickbait and also false.

Marvell technology group does not fabricate chips or processors. They design them and another company makes them. So how can they be making PS5 SSD controller when we know Sony's controller was wholly designed by Sony themselves?
Well, I know that the decompressor is task specific. What I was referring to by my question was the total processing power of the CPU combined with the decompressor, when they're both imagined as one unit of which eight cores are free to work on things other than decompressing data because the other nine cores are decompressing data.

Since the PS5 will continuously move data to and fro as it's running a game, the task of decompressing data will be a constant one; therefore the decompressor can be thought of as always functioning as an extension of the PS5's CPU since CPUs usually perform this task in traditional computer systems (as far as I know). Hence, I think that the PS5 can genuinely be thought of as having the general processing power of seventeen Zen2 cores.
You can't imagine them as one unit in terms of total computing power, they are disparate processing units with specific functions that work together. Same way you can't add the GPU with decompressor unit like that even though GPU can also do texture decompression as well.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It is not a dev account, but the official account of the game. Maybe it is not certain but I find likely that they are referring to Quantum Error alone.
Right.. he asked...

Can they do the effects at the SAME TIME?

The person responded posted a tweet about a game all using the effects... but we have no idea if they will use them in the same frame/at the same time.

So the question wasn't answered.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Kraken.io says they can do lossy texture compression and save up to 90% space.

where is the info coming from that kraken cant compress with lossy algorithms?

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
You can't imagine them as one unit in terms of total computing power, they are disparate processing units with specific functions that work together. Same way you can't add the GPU with decompressor unit like that even though GPU can also do texture decompression as well.

I believe that I can since the PS5's decompressor was designed for the very purpose of offloading the task of decompressing data from the PS5's CPU in order to free the PS5's CPU to perform other tasks and in order to do so more efficiently than the CPU would do so. Furthermore, it's only logical to consider the PS5's decompressor as an extension of the PS5's CPU because when comparing the PS5 to its competitor, the XSX, the PS5's decompressor may be very relevant since it frees the PS5's CPU to a degree that the XSX's decompressor may not free the XSX's CPU.

Tripolygon

Banned
But Sony is not using RDO and he was just giving options for how Sony can possibly match BCPack.
Sony doesn't need to use RDO to surpass the Series X I/O configuration.
Everybody uses rate distortion optimization for every type of encoding, audio, video, texture etc. RDO is just a way to analyze and see how far off from the original source the compressed output is and trying to be as close to it as possible to reduce artifacts.

Everybody uses rate distortion optimization for every type of encoding, audio, video, texture etc. RDO is just a way to analyze and see how far off from the original source the compressed output is and trying to be as close to it as possible to reduce artifacts.

Ok thanks for explaining that to me. I didn't know it was a QA type of thing.

Kusarigama

Kraken.io says they can do lossy texture compression and save up to 90% space.

where is the info coming from that kraken cant compress with lossy algorithms?
Kraken.io is a different thing. You should look for RAD game tools' oodle Kraken.

Tripolygon

Banned
I believe that I can since the PS5's decompressor was designed for the very purpose of offloading the task of decompressing data from the PS5's CPU in order to free the PS5's CPU to perform other tasks and in order to do so more efficiently than the CPU would do so. Furthermore, it's only logical to consider the PS5's decompressor as an extension of the PS5's CPU because when comparing the PS5 to its competitor, the XSX, the PS5's decompressor may be very relevant since it frees the PS5's CPU to a degree that the XSX's decompressor may not free the XSX's CPU.
PS4 also has zlib decompressors as well as Xbox One which offload the task of decompressing data. Those are not extensions of the CPU, they are separate units designed to do zlib decompression and only that. If you decide to use a compression format other than what they are designed to support then you have to use the CPU. It is for the same reason Sony added support for Kraken to their decompressor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom