• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo_game

uhm... doesn't the Series X have a speed of 4.8 GB/s compressed? so exactly that kind of data what this is about, so why use the uncompressed speed of 2.5GB/s? meaning at 50% compression that would be 9.6GB/s, meaning it can fill the whole RAM pool in about 1.5sec.
meaning if a game has to load 16GB of data at one for some weird reason, we would look at a worst case load time of 1.5sec... let's say 2sec very worst case.
I don't see an issue with that tbh.

I think someone already explained it. Since Microsoft has better compression That is how Xbox went to 4.8 gb/sec from 2.4 gb/sec raw. Where as PS5 could only reach to 9 gb /sec even though their raw bandwidth was 5.5 gb/sec. 4.8 gb/sec is max for the Xbox.

Shmunter

I think someone already explained it. Since Microsoft has better compression That is how Xbox went to 4.8 gb/sec from 2.4 gb/sec raw. Where as PS5 could only reach to 9 gb /sec even though their raw bandwidth was 5.5 gb/sec. 4.8 gb/sec is max for the Xbox.
This compression stuff needs further examination. Sony claims in excess of 20gb/s under high compression, so is the 9gb/s figure an average, or the minimum? Also not certain what the 50% means from MS, average? Minimum? Max?

No clear cut apples vs apples here.

Shmunter

So basically, you're THAT PC gamer who a few years back used to make fun of consoles, riding that "PC master race" wave and now, when the tables are turned you're trying to tell everyone who's listening to you that next-gen consoles won't be used to their capacity just because you have a HDD in your PC?

Do you even consider this to be a valid argument? Oh I agree there will be a world of hurt out there when these consoles come out but that's called "technological evolution."

According to your logic, we shouldn't have improved hardware yet because you cannot afford it yet. Is that it?
No standard SSD on PC, no suspend/resume of games on PC. Who wants to be tied down by such last gen tech?

I kid, I kid, settle down PC fans.

That's a great compilation. It has great info too. But I find it suspect that there is zero mention of certain things, like BCPack. Because some developers believe it will outperform Kraken;

Here's a compilation of the tweets;

As for the Xbox getting issues with resolution due to the 'segmented' RAM, that's the typical response of devs throwing everything at the console without thought of any optimization. MS really is not that stupid. It would have been easier AND cheaper to simply pack 8 RAM chips of 2GB on the console, rather than 6 RAM chips of 2GB + 4 RAM chips of 1GB. Not to mention that if you're exceeding 8GB of RAM usage right now (let alone 10GB), you're simply doing things inefficiently. And, the way it was worded, "will have problems", indicates that the statement was made with no hands-on, but more as a presumption.

When you refers to "developers" who say that BCPack could outperform Kraken we also need to say that this speculation is comming from a former Microsoft employee.

So the rest of the users can get the full picture about the matter:

70ByBkG.jpg

Also, this BCPack/Kraken thing was already addressed by him:

Moore's law is death:

"MS does not have better compression than Sony, that is BS"

"MS compression is worse according to developers"

Timestamped:

In any event, we will have the real data in a few weeks.

Funny times ahead, I guess :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

SonGoku

Since the 5700 is getting a refresh based on RDNA2, does that mean thats what is in the PS5?
Cerny implied there would be a RDNA2 PC card based on PS5 GPU similar to how RX470/80 launched along side PS4 Pro
Mark Cerny said:
if you see a similar discrete GPU available as a PC card at roughly the same time as we release our console that means our collaboration with AMD succeeded in producing technology useful in both worlds, it doesn't mean we at Sony simply incorporated the PC part into our console

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
When you refers to "developers" who say that BCPack could outperform Kraken we need to say also that this is comming from a former Microsoft employee.

70ByBkG.jpg

Moore's law is death: "MS does not have better compression than Sony, that is BS"

Timestamped:

Lmao I don’t want to get too much into the fanboy nonesense. But remember when PS5 specs where revealed by Sony, every Xbox fanboy downplayed the SSD claiming it would have no real benefit other than slightly faster load times, they called Cerny a liar for claiming the SSD could do more. I remember PS fanboys even jumped on the bandwagon and started attacking Cerny. Time went on and several developers along with tech geeks such as NX Gamer, Coreteks and others came out and revealed how the PS5 SSD is a game changer and that it will allow for games an experiences which are just not possible on the Series X or the PC. So now that people or should I say Xbox fanboys are actually learning and understanding that the PS5 SSD will have an impact on gameplay, experience and performance, they’re just doing mental gymnastics to explain how the Series X with it’s magical compression is equivalent or better than the PS5’s SSD and compression. Sony fanboys did the same thing when it came to the difference in Teraflops but that’s another subject.

EDIT: I just watched that Moore’sLawIsDead clip and I laughed when Tom completely shut down the Series X compression being better than PS5😂

Last edited by a moderator:

Shmunter

Does anyone think that it's possible for Microsoft to increase the frequency of the XSX's GPU before launch? If so, by how much?
Maybe, it also depends if the ludicrous clock speeds achieved by Sony are due to RDNA2 or due to some bespoke customization. MS decision to go slow and wide is a mystery as it's less cost effective - it could mean clocks were an issue. Total speculation.

Last edited:
Lmao I don’t want to get too much into the fanboy nonesense. But remember when PS5 specs where revealed by Sony, every Xbox fanboy downplayed the SSD claiming it would have no real benefit other than slightly faster load times, they called Cerny a liar for claiming the SSD could do more. I remember PS fanboys even jumped on the bandwagon and started attacking Cerny. Time went on and several developers along with tech geeks such as NX Gamer, Coreteks and others came out and revealed how the PS5 SSD is a game changer and that it will allow for games an experiences which are just not possible on the Series X or the PC. So now that people or should I say Xbox fanboys are actually learning and understanding that the PS5 SSD will have an impact on gameplay, experience and performance, they’re just doing mental gymnastics to explain how the Series X with it’s magical compression is equivalent or better than the PS5’s SSD and compression. Sony fanboys did the same thing when it came to the difference in Teraflops but that’s another subject.

EDIT: I just watched that Moore’sLawIsDead clip and I laughed when Tom completely shut down the Series X compression being better than PS5😂

I dont really understand that obsession of donwplaying the PS5 as a full time job when in a few weeks we are all going to know the real data.

The BCPack thing is hilarious: This joke is coming from a tweet from the guy I posted before. The guy even says that "We don't have any real details yet" but yet he starts a wild speculation about BCPack thing without any kind of evidence or real fundament.

Then TimDog & co do the rest :)

I dont really understand that obsession of donwplaying the PS5 as a full time job when in a few weeks we are all going to know the real data.

The BCPack thing is hilarious: This joke is coming from a tweet from the guy I posted before. The guy even says that "We don't have any real details yet" but yet he starts a wild speculation about BCPack thing without any kind of evidence or real fundament.

Then TimDog & co do the rest :)
So u mean typical fake news a certain discord creates for team green? Like our own resident memeber who says one CU is reserved for Tempest engine without a single evidence and one sentence from digital foundry ?
I m shocked. 😂

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I am not sure if this has already been talked about earlier but since I have not seen it I will post it here. There is a LOT of information so I have put it in pictures.

The following information is taken from ”Moore’s law is dead” youtube channel and specially from his comment section where he talks more indepth what third party developer have told him and his personal analysis.

The comments come from several diffrent videos. Important to know is that his sources are all third party developers and he has inside information om both consoles.

FC6NV1e.png

rRvhsvP.png

cFgFOSS.png

Leaked images and info:

His Info from comment sections:

This is all very fascinating.

rnlval

I am not sure if this has already been talked about earlier but since I have not seen it I will post it here. There is a LOT of information so I have put it in pictures.

The following information is taken from ”Moore’s law is dead” youtube channel and specially from his comment section where he talks more indepth what third party developer have told him and his personal analysis.

The comments come from several diffrent videos. Important to know is that his sources are all third party developers and he has inside information om both consoles.

FC6NV1e.png

rRvhsvP.png

cFgFOSS.png

Leaked images and info:

His Info from comment sections:

From https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-inside-xbox-series-x-full-specs

but there was one startling takeaway - we were shown benchmark results that, on this two-week-old, unoptimised port, already deliver very, very similar performance to an RTX 2080.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gears_of_war_5_pc_graphics_performance_benchmark_review,6.html

Gears 5 with PC Ultra settings at 4K

3651882-2339888723-index.php

Scale RX 5700 XT's 9.66 TFLOPS** into XSX's 12.147 TFLOPS and it lands on RTX 2080 class level i.e. 50 fps

**Based from real-world average clock speed for RX 5700 XT from https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt/34.html

12.147 / 9.66 = 1.25745 or 25.745%, hence XSX GPU has ~25.75% extra TFLOPS over RX 5700 XT.

Gears 5's result rankings closely follows Techpowerup's performance summary

relative-performance_3840-2160.png

C6cIoAR.png

CU increase also scales SRAM storage (e.g. register, L0/L1 caches, LDS), texture mapper, texture filtering units and RT cores.

Rasterizer and RBs has higher SRAM storage pool with 52 CU when compared to 32 CU model.

Higher SRAM storage = less external memory bus hit rates.

Last edited:

rnlval

Nice talking to you, looking forward to read you proposed model/diagram that defies interleaved memory system mechanics

I don't see why it wouldn't be able to handle both formats if it was designed with that function in mind, having two decompresors would be a waste of die space (bad design). Regardless DF & MS were clear, only one decompressor.

Thats good, shows you are willing to acknowledge when you are wrong and accept new information you were previously unaware off
As exicited as you are over the XSX I just assumed you knew what the Velocity architecture consisted off

Wrong quote? how is that relevant to what i said
You haven't proved any additional information on in low–order interleaving. You're a hypocrite.

icy121

Thing 1 and Thing 2 are starting to make the rounds into certain articles....

YuBhHFM.png

LOL

1teGiUd.png

This is the dude Phil tells all his secrets to?

4K387QQ.png

"Dont respond to greeny like that." 😂

6q5lJOp.png

"You droolz." LMFAO Is this dude in 2nd grade?

lMvo5F7.png

Someone want to explain who "we" is? lmfao

Ascend

When you refers to "developers" who say that BCPack could outperform Kraken we also need to say that this speculation is comming from a former Microsoft employee.

70ByBkG.jpg

Moore's law is death:

"MS does not have better compression than Sony, that is BS"

Timestamped:

In any event, we will have the real data in a few weeks.

Funny times ahead, I guess :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Yeah. He's a former MS employee. So what?
I guess we'll have to wait and see. There's too many holes in the information to draw a definite conclusion.

And it's quite convenient to leave out the little fact that he mentions that he doesn't know if the PS5 setup is really going to work or not, because they have not shown any games.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned

YuBhHFM.png

LOL

1teGiUd.png

4K387QQ.png

6q5lJOp.png

lMvo5F7.png

This guy sat in his car outside of Best Buy,watching Someone to see if they’d walk out with an Xbox One and proceeded to scream “NPD ON LOCK.”
I really don’t like the new Xbox are constantly giving attention to people like him

THEAP99

Banned
So is it true that we are looking at May for something PS5 related? Like what, a tear down? Design? UI? Games? What’s the rumor & time frame?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
CU increase also scales SRAM storage (e.g. register, L0/L1 caches, LDS), texture mapper, texture filtering units and RT cores.

Rasterizer and RBs has higher SRAM storage pool with 52 CU when compared to 32 CU model.

Higher SRAM storage = less external memory bus hit rates.

No, that would be the same. The internal CU structure is the same across the two models and, architecture wise, the RB’s and Rasterisers use the L2 cache shared in the Shader Array they belong to, not the internal CU storage.
You have more CU’s so you have both more per CU specific cache, but more mouths to feed too (the vector ALU’s inside each CU) so memory bus fetched on cache miss scenarios would be unaffected compared to a solution with less CU’s.

If you were increasing per Shader Array cache as you add CU’s to the Shader Array you would be mostly keeping the cache hit ratio from getting worse than a solution with less CU’s, not making it better unless you went really overboard with it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This guy sat in his car outside of Best Buy,watching Someone to see if they’d walk out with an Xbox One and proceeded to scream “NPD ON LOCK.”
I really don’t like the new Xbox are constantly giving attention to people like him

The fact people like Timdog are invited to events and passed info from time to time by MS feels odd... also at odds with Phil’s anti console war messaging when others in Xbox cultivate those kind of fans and support their astroturfing.

Last edited:

YuBhHFM.png

LOL

1teGiUd.png

4K387QQ.png

6q5lJOp.png

lMvo5F7.png

How do these people live long enough to become adults?
One would think that these people are capable of confusing drinking water with another transparent liquid.

Gamerguy84

Was Timdog ever a member here. This guy is an embarrassment. How can someone be an adult and such a console warrior? Where does that get you in real life?

Im not talking about preference, we all have those. Timdog is a moron though, inless MS is sending him checks.

Last edited:

llien

Compression algorithms TAILORED for specific data outperform generic algorithms (else there would be no point in their existence, e.g. lossless audio compression).
Note that Kraken is not something Sony has developed.

Last edited:

FeiRR

Banned
I’m not a game developer (just a dev) but history has shown us the need for RAM increases 16X time every generation. This is impossible with the current trend in RAM technology evolution but, c‘mon, 4GB more than the XOX?
That's why console architects are trying to find other ways to deliver content than keeping it in RAM. I mean, at least one console architect is. We have heard little details from the other side besides a bunch of marketing slogans.

Last edited:

xacto

Was Timdog ever a member here. This guy is an embarrassment. How can someone be an adult and such a console warrior? Where does that get you in real life?

Im not talking about preference, we all have those. Timdog is a moron though, inless MS is sending him checks.

Just the thought that this guy could be someone's coworker sends shivers down my spine... The problem lies with Microsoft or some of the people at Microsoft endorsing this guy.

Anyway, the way this person behaves is really a combination of histrionic and narcissistic personality disorders. Both medical disorders. There is not a person in this world who can convince me this individual is a sane one.

Hey so Do we think Lockheart is going to be a
A streaming Box
1080P 60 fps system
1440P 60 FPS system
or a switch type device?

Iv heard rumors for all these so just wanted to see what people think. I personally would like a switch like xbox device and I know people say x cloud but it would be nice to have a dedicated device. Would do well in Asian countries in my opinion.
Also Couldn't you technically run a series X game on a xbox one S though x cloud? If thats the case any xbox could run a series x quality game.

A streaming Box
1080P 60 fps system
1440P 60 FPS system
or a switch type device?

Iv heard rumors for all these so just wanted to see what people think. I personally would like a switch like xbox device and I know people say x cloud but it would be nice to have a dedicated device. Would do well in Asian countries in my opinion.
Also Couldn't you technically run a series X game on a xbox one S though x cloud? If thats the case any xbox could run a series x quality game.
No a digital only 1080p machine . Github for the tests shows its a 4tf console . U don't need 4tf with zen cpu for streaming.

Amd code name for it is sparkman .

A streaming Box
1080P 60 fps system
1440P 60 FPS system
or a switch type device?

I guess a 1440P 60FPS system, 1080p is so last gen, 4k is out of the question since if Lockheart is a thing it would be less powerful than it's bigger brother and it wouldn't hit 60fps at 4k. 1440p with checkerboard is nice enough on PS4 Pro, I could easily see a bit more powerful 4-6 flops machine on RDNA2 pull this off - dunno about 60fps thou but maybe it will be double. Or they could use 1080p 60fps system with DLSS 2.0 thingie and it would get us 4k image at minimal cost of performance it's crazy what we can do now.

Last edited:

psorcerer

Banned
This compression stuff needs further examination. Sony claims in excess of 20gb/s under high compression, so is the 9gb/s figure an average, or the minimum? Also not certain what the 50% means from MS, average? Minimum? Max?

Average for games is 2x compressed.
If there was any trick to compress further it would be used in hdd days.
So Sony's 5.5->9 is conservative, while MSFT's 2.4->4.8 is average.

xool

That’s right, cache is only valid if underlying ram is unchanged. But it would be moot if it needed to check the ram for changes before using it, so it’s flagged as you say. Scrubbers seem to work in tandem with the ssd to flag small portions of the cache needing refresh vs what must traditionally be dumping the baby with the bath water. A fine grained approach to increase efficiency.
Seems good.

Seems they are calling this "coherency engine", built into the IO part of the APU

(18m52s)

idk if this is a unique or RDNA2 feature

rntongo

Banned
With a 50% compression ratio and 2.5GB/s bandwidth the XSX can stream at most 5GB of texture data per second.
This is still slower than the PS5's RAW, uncompressed bandwidth of 5.5GB/s.
With a 25% compression ratio and 5.5GB/s bandwidth, the PS5 will be able to stream at most 7.3GB of texture data per second.

Unless Microsoft have some ridiculous magic compression, they simply cannot overcome a raw 125% bandwidth advantage. And that's ignoring the fact that Sony too, can utilise compression,.
BCPack will increase the compression ratio on texture data. So we need more information but it seems to be at least 50% better than Kraken at texture data.

xool

Despite their different "brand names" there's no secret sauce in texture compression - I wouldn't expect either of MS or Sony's solutions to give better compression than the other given the same data (+/- 10%)

Both gave compression to data ratios of roughy 2x improvment - I'd expect that to be real world.

It just shifts Sony's 2.x times SSD advantage to higher numbers .. same ratio.

Both systems have hardware accelerated decompression too - but there's not enough info to say if one is better than the other (in terms of speed) .. I'd expect them to be similar in performance, though maybe Sony's would be beefier inline with the higher SSD throughput they are expecting..

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

Just to be clear.

The 30-40% of Kraken compression from Sony is what you typical get with game assets with lossless compression.

The BCPack 50% is lossy compression (loss of quality like JPEG) for textures only.

But no matter how amazing the Xbox compression is it will never catch the difference between raw SSD speeds.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
I guess a 1440P 60FPS system, 1080p is so last gen [...]

Well, last gen TVs are indeed 1080p, so it would make more than perfect sense. I dunno why people come up with 1440p every now and then when talking about consoles, when they are more than fully aware 1440p doesn't exist on TV market... QHD is roughly 80% more pixels than FHD, so more GPU power and possibly memory/bandwidth required, while the visible difference would be close to none, on a device that's suppose to be as cheap as possible. If anything, I'd expect 720p, if not even 540p with AI upscalling, to use as tiny (cheap) GPU as possible.

Unless Microsoft have some ridiculous magic compression, they simply cannot overcome a raw 125% bandwidth advantage. And that's ignoring the fact that Sony too, can utilise compression,.

This might be it:

One of the studios inside Microsoft has been experimenting with using ML models for asset generation. It's working scarily well. To the point where we're looking at shipping really low-res textures and having ML models uprez the textures in real-time. You can't tell the difference between the hand-authored high-res texture and the machine-scaled-up low-res texture, to the point that you may as well ship the low-res texture and let the machine do it.

Like literally not having to ship massive 2K by 2K textures. You can ship tiny textures. The download is way smaller, but there's no appreciable difference in game quality. Think of it more like a magical compression technology.

If MS could actually incorporate AI upscaling on top of BCP in actual games, that could mean they have much less data (GB) to transfer.

Last edited:
uhm... doesn't the Series X have a speed of 4.8 GB/s compressed? so exactly that kind of data what this is about, so why use the uncompressed speed of 2.5GB/s? meaning at 50% compression that would be 9.6GB/s, meaning it can fill the whole RAM pool in about 1.5sec.
meaning if a game has to load 16GB of data at one for some weird reason, we would look at a worst case load time of 1.5sec... let's say 2sec very worst case.
I don't see an issue with that tbh.
The compressed bandwidth includes compression. With your calculation you've included it twice.

ethomaz

Banned
No, even go read the tweets by the BCpack guy, he says they are similar if Kraken uses RDO on the data.

So Kraken + RDO = BCPack was even in his tweets.
It is because Kraken is lossless... if you somehow makes Kraken lossy it will get the same level of compression as BCPack.

BCPack is made for textures so it can be lossy like JPEG... Kraken is for general data so the data uncompressed needs to be the same before compressed.

MS uses Zlib for data that needs to be the same after compress/uncompress... Kraken has better compression ratio than Zlib.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom