• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Lol who gives a fuck if that was 4k or not. Some of you are crazy man.
if anything this is great news. it shows devs dont give two fucks about wasting gpu resources on natively rendering 8 million pixels and will be pushing graphics fidelity over resolutions.

1440p is roughly 2x the pixels of 1080p which is in line with what we usually get every gen. there is zero reason to go for a 4x jump in pixels. with some AA and checkerboarding you wont notice any difference between fake 4k and native 4k anyway.

gamers are fucking dumb. this is fantastic news.

Thedtrain

Here is the thing, are you really gonna look to the left and look to the right, behind and above admiring the texture work and detail and the billions of triangles? Most people are just gonna go forward and get a glimpse and appreciate it from that perspective. Hence, in my opinion those billions of triangles are being wasted, and in my opinion, the developer should reduce the billions of triangles to increase:

Resolution and frame rate

because there is a way for those side rocks/walls to have the same appearance without needing so many triangles.
I found myself checking out rocks and ridges in death stranding. If the art is worth a look, I’d say a good amount of people will inspect.

Games Dean

The SSD truly is insane..

But I know I'm a broken record but..

The game sizes.... that drive size...

I really hope sony offers at least a 1.5TB system day one for some extra cash.

Yeah I would imagine Cerny and the rest of the console dev team have realized this is the critical obstacle they'll need to remedy. I'm anxious to hear what they've come up with. I suspect they may make their own expansion SSDs after all.

Been reading through posts since the showcase and I just can't believe how people can try and downplay this. No matter how bias you are, or how much you hate Sony and Playstation, surely there is a general and authentic reason for excitement and praise here? If this was an Xbox demo I would be equally as stoked and it baffles me that people can be so narrowminded as to shrug at wondrous feats like this and post crap in an effort to diminish it. Like damn, PLEASE, let go of that console war fanboy bitterness and bloody celebrate what is happening.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Yeah I would imagine Cerny and the rest of the console dev team have realized this is the critical obstacle they'll need to remedy. I'm anxious to hear what they've come up with. I suspect they may make their own expansion SSDs after all.
I so badly want to know the HD footprint of that demo lol

I still think it's pretty amazing we are discussing game size being the potential bottleneck next gen. The freedom devs will have will be amazing either way if that's their biggest worry. BUT.. the question it really poses is.. how much more of that 2+x's the bandwidth can PS5 devs REALLY take advantage of?

I'll gladly be wrong as I want the PS5 SSD to be the standard for PC in coming years and PS5 is likely my main console next gen anways... but something tells me other than things like fighting games or other small world games, they won't be able to really push detail that far.

Last edited:

ZeroFool

I watched at 4k and 1080P and both looked amazing.

Edit: is there a PC demo yet, I have not checked the Unreal Engine itself yet.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

(He's Senior Rendering Engineer working on Unreal Engine)

Maybe they're working on something to reduce these huge assets sizes?

Yeah the way they described the tech it sounded like you imported a high-detail model.. and then the engine does something with it.

Maybe it creates a normal sized model file and then uses the GPU to render the difference or something?

That might appease my worries I've been going on about.

Last edited:
Seeing this tech demo, everybody should be celebrating. Next gen is looking great.

Why do we have to devolve it into console warring?
Childhood insecurities or traumas, nobody says XSX will not looks similar we are just saying looks now makes sense why Cerny was so focus in the SSD. The same for the 3 porcent of pc gamers with a card higher than a 2070 super and NVME PCI 4.

ethomaz

Banned
I so badly want to know the HD footprint of that demo lol

I still think it's pretty amazing we are discussing game size being the potential bottleneck next gen. The freedom devs will have will be amazing either way if that's their biggest worry. BUT.. the question it really poses is.. how much more of that 2+x's the bandwidth can PS5 devs REALLY take advantage of?

I'll gladly be wrong as I want the PS5 SSD to be the standard for PC in coming years and PS5 is likely my main console next gen anways... but something tells me other than things like fighting games or other small world games, they won't be able to really push detail that far.
That should be interesting to see because Cerny said the SSD speeds makes the use of tricks like duplicated assets on disc not needed on PS5 so the same game assets are several GB smaller on PS5 than PS4.

Basically you don’t need to have the same 4k texture duplicated 8 times though the game data for fast and sequential reads on slower HDDs.

IntentionalPun

That should be interesting to see because Cerny said the SSD speeds makes the use of tricks like duplicated assets on disc not needed on PS5 so the same game assets are several GB smaller on PS5 than PS4.

Basically you don’t need to have the same 4k texture duplicated 8 times though the game data for fast and sequential reads on slower HDDs.
Yeah I almost included that bit in my post but decided against it...

What impact does that actually have? Several GB's is nothing if your base level of detail is multiplied. And I'm not sure how extensive those file duplications actually are this gen? Anyone have any numbers on that?

Like what percentage of X game is actually duplicated files?

Last edited:

Radical_3d

Seeing this tech demo, everybody should be celebrating. Next gen is looking great.

Why do we have to devolve it into console warring?
xqYJo.gif

This gallery from the DF article is jaw dropping.

ethomaz

Banned
Yeah I almost included that bit in my post but decided against it...

What impact does that actually have? Several GB's is nothing if your base level of detail is multiplied. And I'm not sure how extensive those file duplications actually are this gen? Anyone have any numbers on that?

Like what percentage of X game is actually duplicated files?
We need first to have a better ideia how much % of data is duplicated in PS4 games.

Edit - I just found an example:

Spider-man has 10GB duplicated assets... how many GBs is the game full size?

Last edited:

Doncabesa

Seeing this low key salt makes me wonder your real reaction is over in the discord
Salt? Zero, it's filled with people excited about seeing UE5 tech hit within a few years. Mostly about how Xbox messed up by overhyping their decent IX show (games look interesting but a full gameplay demo for something was needed). That discord is one of the most negative towards xbox places I've ever seen, haha. I dont' care what company it is, I prefer 60> fps over 30 whenever possible.

IntentionalPun

Look my edit I found out the original Spider-man game had 10GB of duplicated assets.
I'm trying to find out the game size... I find only the GOTY Edition with DLCs that has 53.61 GB.
Thanks man; fairly significant then.. about 20%.

There's also things like custom downloads where they don't load all the languages and whatnot for audio they can do.

Sinthor

Gold Member
4k is overkill and it also kills any system nowadays. Let's not pretend 4k gaming is something real even on PCs. Very few people use it.

I know 4k is tough but it's easily doable on higher end PC setups. The bottom line is, that from what we know so far, standard true 4k gaming will be a reality for consoles. Better to optimize on consoles than PC with all that extra overhead the PC needs. We shall see but again, from what we know right now, you're statement isn't accurate when it comes to next gen consoles. Heck, the CURRENT Xbox can do 4k in most titles. With over double the power, I think consoles are going to be setting the bar ABOVE the PC at least when first released. PC will of course catch up and eclipse during the console lifetime. But also...not a whole lot of PC gamers actually have those high end rigs.

Salt? Zero, it's filled with people excited about seeing UE5 tech hit within a few years. Mostly about how Xbox messed up by overhyping their decent IX show (games look interesting but a full gameplay demo for something was needed). That discord is one of the most negative towards xbox places I've ever seen, haha. I dont' care what company it is, I prefer 60> fps over 30 whenever possible.

Sorry bud, its all been exposed already.

FKiUvP8.png

I suggest you come back with an alt if you want anyone to engage you in a serious manner.

Last edited:

Disco_

What I find a bit weird is that there was not a single mention of raytracing :messenger_hushed:

They're showing off tech(LUMEN) that's meant to bridge the gap between, or slot between, pre-baked and RTRT. Not sure what's surprising about not showing RT in this case.

Sorry bud, it's all been exposed already.

FKiUvP8.png

I suggest you come back with an alt if you want anyone to engage in you in a serious manner.
Was that idiot permabanned? Would be hilarious if he wished a mod get ran over by a bus but still allowed to post there.

Last edited:

HAL-01

this running at 1440p doesn’t mean we cant get games that look this good at higher res. the entire demo is shown to be built from raw unoptimized assets. They’re just throwing as much as they can at the ps5
with a little optimizing we could get some nice 1800p or even native 4K in some instances

Here is the thing about MSFT,...

You can get amazing cinematic looking games on PS4PRo like uncharted, horizon dawn, god of war, shadow of colossus etc on 4.2 TFLOPS PS4Pro, but I have yet to see games of that caliber and nature on Xbone X 6 TFLOP machine which is technically speaking, superior to PS4Pro.

MSFT needs to learn how to utilize its hardware better by:

-Good artistic/design/cinematic motion-animations direction
-Efficient programming

With the exception of some games, MSFT game designs have this silhouette appearance of ugliness, rigidness, and bad color. In other words, Sony does MORE with LESS, and MSFT does LESS with MORE. Get your shit together MSFT.
Another problem is that the inherently weak Xbone console is still shackling Xbone X and XsX development as we speak based on what MSFT has revealed so far. The technically superior vanilla PS4 without a doubt gave Sony the momentum it needed to design games of this caliber.

Kill and cannabilize the Xbone MSFT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom