• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was the jump between engine version on Gears 5? Is Gears 5 you're talking, right?
I don't remember exactly if they mentioned but DF mention a couple of new features employee in Gears 5 for UE as this kind of project can take years is not strange
Epic left to some studios to taste a new feature, even you can use a early version of the engine is normal to see this in game engines.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They mentioned that on the DF analysis right. I'm actually wondering if Guerrilla have come up with a better implementation of CB rendering for their next game. I personally think native 4k, especially on consoles isn't a good use of resources.

I completely agree. At first when these techniques were announced, I was defiant coming from PC gaming and being a “native purist”. Mainly due to some dynamic implementations were awful early on.

I have done around to them big time after seeing some of the better reconstruction techniques and how discernible it can be to native. I am all for this if it leaves more room to pump up the fidelity, assets, and other effects.

Gediminas

Banned
I thought it was just 4 but found it amusing he seems to imply it is using 5.0
sounds more like another comment from Phil's PR book. in his comment i see two comments, one is until And and second part is after that. they are trying so hard with #metoo movement.
at this point in time even if PS5 would fart, Phil and greenberg would came out and would say, me too, our fart even has the Exclusive sound :D

Last edited:
From the DF article

""The key features we're debuting will work across all of the next generation console platforms," adds Sweeney. "We don't have performance comparisons, we can't share performance comparisons, but this is a feature set you can count on with that generation, particularly micro polygon geometry with the Nanite technology and real-time global illumination with Lumen." "

AGAIN.. broken record...

The PS5 theoretically can throw denser models and more textures around... at double the speed. But is it realistic to expect considering what that does to game size? I really really REALLY want to know how big file size was that demo was, and if to realistically get the game built like that on PS5 they'd have to lower the triangle count anyways.
Tim said this what possible on the absolute best hardware ( PS5). Watch at 20:30

The world's most powerful console with an SSD that is less than half the speed of the one on the PS5, which is exactly what made it possible to use 8K textures and such. 🤭
Ps5 will have more detailed scene thanks to the crazy fast ssd but xsx will have less detailed texture in the scenes at 20% higher resolution frame buffer. So u see better and more Clear how bad it look compared to ps5 👀👀😂🤣

Jk

Last edited:

ZeroFool

I thought it was just 4 but found it amusing he seems to imply it is using 5.0
No doubt the first party have access to alpha builds of UE5, but I can't imagine any launch games using anything beyond 4.25. However, they could of course have access to UE5 features in their builds. I have not done anything since UE3 so I am fully out of the loop. So just hopeful wild wishful pretty please speculating on my part.

Radical_3d

Don't worry about the native resolution. Temporal injection used here is amazing and outcome is as good as native 4k . Go play ratchet and clanck on pro Nd it uses the same technique to get to 4k . Its amazing
At least in the Vimeo version on 65” I see a little of shimmering. Some sub-pixels problems here and there.

My Pro is broken. I can’t play anything on it :(

Radical_3d

It’s dynamic reconstruction to 4K, not native. It just hit 1440p more often. That means one will hit that number less often.
1440 X 1,18 = 1700. That’s what I implied. This will escalate very well with VRS. Pushing waaaay less triangles where the algorithm decides to use sub-HD resolutions.

THE:MILKMAN

Dunno, but UE5 will release on the end of 2021. That why I asking. I never heard of such a huge engine shift like that (version between version). UE5 don't even have official support for next gen yet, just 4.5

From this quote in the DF article it doesn't seem like a big issue?

"We're on Unreal Engine 4.25 right now, which is the 25th in its series," he says. "And in upgrading to the UE5, the cost to developers and the complexity will be like going through a few of these minor version updates, which most developers go through every few months. We want to bring the community along and bring them along quickly so that you don't have stragglers who are stuck with previous generation features years from now."

Virtually every UE game made this gen as gone through multiple updates of UE4 in a 3-5 year dev cycle and they say moving over to UE5 is similar to a few new versions of UE4.

marvifrom

Screenshots of PS5 real-time gameplay:

Unreal+Engine%2Fblog%2Fa-first-look-at-unreal-engine-5%2FUnreal_Engine_5_Nanite-2491x1401-110edc43c67b7d81be869bf703cb40a72e557c96.jpg

Unreal+Engine%2Fblog%2Fa-first-look-at-unreal-engine-5%2FUnreal_Engine_5_Lumen-2491x1401-3da7aa4892984ed6e7375aa7c19aa162725b957f.jpg

Unreal+Engine%2Fblog%2Fa-first-look-at-unreal-engine-5%2FUnreal_Engine_5_Gallery_1_ALT-2160x1214-6599ca93295364b5d9cd0c34a203426baf38c4b8.jpg

Unreal+Engine%2Fblog%2Fa-first-look-at-unreal-engine-5%2FUnreal_Engine_5_Gallery_2-2491x1400-8a288c8c4645d4dd51ab4323aa86b1405ff66df5.jpg

Unreal+Engine%2Fblog%2Fa-first-look-at-unreal-engine-5%2FUnreal_Engine_5_Gallery_3-2491x1400-b9dc65762824a9aa810ffda0fcaf389469ab129f.jpg

Unreal+Engine%2Fblog%2Fa-first-look-at-unreal-engine-5%2FUnreal_Engine_5_Gallery_4-2491x1401-71bbb024090055a380dc3c0d3f501654a7fc23c5.jpg

Unreal+Engine%2Fblog%2Fa-first-look-at-unreal-engine-5%2FUnreal_Engine_5_Gallery_5-2491x1401-0f8d32bd3e9d771a13abd95928879b6e506b3b1f.jpg

Source:

:pie_astonished::pie_astonished::pie_astonished::pie_astonished::pie_astonished::pie_astonished::pie_astonished:

ANIMAL1975

Wrong
It's running on some early devkit.

you are trying so hard. have you some stocks in m$? or Phil is your father?

yes, rocks are brown, that is so wrong, it should be rainbows and sunshines, and pink, more pink. dust should be like gold. yeah, bad palette, reality is wrong.
We need to start a crowd funding campaign to get @Bo_Hazem out painting his local rocks pretty colours for the sake of next gen gaming.

Next standard coming in 5...4...3...2...😎

Last edited:

Fake

At the time of the presentation in 2019 it was UE4.x (surely, as the tweet says, it would end up benefiting from some features of UE5, but it is not clear that they have started the migration yet).

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Handy Fake

You must be so young that you though Handy Fake Handy Fake was talking about parallax occlusion mappings. Sadly for him and for me, it’s something waaaay older.
hidethepainharol-67a957fbc2923d868f9c18eb9490efb5-600x400.jpg
Sad times indeed. I'm going to start referring to every console as "Nintendos" next year, as decreed by the Council of Elders, before I'm taken to a mountain top to slowly die of exposure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom