• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

FranXico

Couple really important things that haven't really been pointed out yet.

First, this demo we saw was made on AN EARLY devkit and was made between last September and finished at some point before the original GDC date in March. I'd imagine this demo could've been finetuned even a little more on current devkits. That's exciting.

Second thing, remember after Road to PS5 the vocal crowd of people saying that "Only Sony first party games will take advantage of that SSD. It was a waste to focus on that instead of flops."

We now have undeniable proof that this isn't true. UE is the most popular game engine in the world and Sweeney flat out said they partnered with Sony to ensure that the engine takes as much advantage of Sony's SSD architecture as possible. Of course first party games will always be able to optimize the most, but make no mistake, third party devs will be utilizing the unique capabilities of the PS5 as well.
This demo gave a really good impression of what to expect this coming gen, but I don't think it took full advantage of the PS5 SSD either.

sircaw

Banned
Just saw the PlayStation 5 tech demo, holy shit! That looks like a CGI rendered movie, it's unbelievable how this was rendered, the lighting system is just too good, better than any RTX lighting I have seen.

This in terms of textures, polygon counts, geometry, and lighting looks way better than that Hellblade 2 "In-engine" trailer, and it has NO LOD AT ALL, 0 LOD, NONE!

This stuff is breathtaking, this is the TRUE NEXT-GEN LEAP we have been waiting for!

Of course, Sony's 1st-party will have graphics that are going to be on-par or better in the future, you know how Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Insomniac Games and many others will do.

Don't forget Gorilla games DAMN EWE!!

SAY IT,

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You call it "garbage", I call it "dumpster fire."

But yes, still garbage.

Then again, this is the same level of trash when he had a meltdown for being called out for sourcing a Google link to coopt his article for clicks, explaining that the Xbox SAD won't play physical discs. Even tried to go to war with GAF on twitter over being made fun of.

Last edited:
My fuck what a lame ass salty headline. Right after trying to coopt that shit too (which I have no doubt will look the same on the XSX). Posers.

I do think it'll run at a marginally higher res on XSX (not as high as 1800p), or have better effects; it's also clear the demo is leveraging PS5s SSD, so in some ways (an XSX version) will be less impressive than what we've seen today.

Audiophile

The amount of RT hardware available means it's best used in a supplementary fashion. Effectively using RT to patch the leaks.

For eg. with reflections you could still use Screen Space Reflections for surfaces that are perpendicular to the camera and then use RT to patch the gaps for assets which are occluded from view or outside of screen space (on a granular sub or per pixel level). The same concept could be used for GI.

The only areas where I think RT is best used entirely is contact/self shadowing and reflections on highly reflective surfaces which are predominantly parallel to the player's view.

Using RT across the entirety of any given element just for the sake of it doesn't make sense. With solutions like UEV's Lumen, it may always be more computational efficient to merely use RT to patch those leaks.

xacto

Then again, this is the same level of trash when he had a meltdown for being called out for sourcing a Google link to coopt his article for clocks, explain that the Xbox SAD won't play physical discs. Even tried to go to war with GAF on twitter over being made fun of.

As it's easily discernible, some people aren't good with salt. But really, Windows Central is like a bunch of 12 year old kids, throwing tantrums. Since they aren't really kids, there's no age excuse for them. What's there left to say about them?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I do think it'll run at a marginally higher res on XSX (not as high as 1800p), or have better effects; it's also clear the demo is leveraging PS5s SSD, so in some ways (an XSX version) will be less impressive than what we've seen today.

It was not native at 1440p, it used a dynamic scaling reconstruction similar to how Horizon Zero Dawn and Ratchet & Clank did on the Pro. With that, I think it would probably hit the 1440p a bit less than the PS5. Effects will all be the same.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
Next Step, before the reveal
a tweet about BC
jFpQfLV.png

Ascend

you are trying so hard. have you some stocks in m$? or Phil is your father?

yes, rocks are brown, that is so wrong, it should be rainbows and sunshines, and pink, more pink. dust should be like gold. yeah, bad palette, reality is wrong.
I have no stocks in Microsoft nor Sony. I do have some AMD stock. Not that it should matter to you. And I am indeed trying very hard to do some work right now, but am actually distracted by the demo.

I never said it was a wrong color palette. I said it reminded me of the X360/PS3 era, where everything was either brown of gray with little contrast. Those were also Unreal Engine games, and I'm quite aware that those were artistic choices, and not engine limitations, which is why I gave Mirror's Edge and Mass Effect as examples of colorful UE games.
Don't know if you've noticed, but, Hellblade 2, which is also using UE, also has that brownish/grayish vibe to it (the sea being the exception). The first Hellblade actually looks more colorful, despite being extremely inferior graphically. I don't want another brown gen. That's all I said.

Let's see how Fortnite will look with UE5.

Corndog

Banned
-I will add further insult to the injury that Sony has clearly stated that they want to PS4 owners to transition to PS5 as easily as possible (I dont know how they are going to do that).

-the Xbone S has Ultra-Blu Ray 4k Drive, which prolongs the life of Xbone even further

-As you stated, Lockhart will further confuse consumers to distinguish between 4TFLOP 4k console to a 6 TFLOP 4K 2017 Xbone X.

Its like MSFT is trying to throw a fishnet and getting many consumers as possible to buy into: Xbone S, Xbone X, Lockhart, XsX, PC. I guess this is good business wise?! I cant tell.
I doubt people will be buying either console for the uhd drive.

ZeroFool

Who cares if that was only rendered at 1440P, it still made my eyes bleed.

I watched it on my oled monitor at 1080 and was still drooling at the details. Even on my phone it looks gorgeous, I could still see the details. 4K TV was amazing.

Sadly it is slated for 2021 so that one 8K 120fps indie developer with his tetris pirate game will not be able to launch with this tech. 👍

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I have no stocks in Microsoft nor Sony. I do have some AMD stock. Not that it should matter to you. And I am indeed trying very hard to do some work right now, but am actually distracted by the demo.

I feel you on that. I weep for my production when more next gen news hits with blowouts, lol. Can they do this more in the evening? Thanks!

I doubt people will be buying either console for the uhd drive.

-They could purchase 4k Ultra HD movies
-Xbox games in general can now be made in 100GB 4K Ultra-Bluray disks. Buy it once, and it can run on: XsX, Xbone X, Xbone S
-Xbone S cheap way to get 4k Ultra HD player

I forgot there is a diskless Xbone S, so that makes it cheaper and prolongs the life of Xbone S even further. Fuck.

Fake

From Unreal Engine 5.0 page:
Nanite virtualized micropolygon geometry frees artists to create as much geometric detail as the eye can see. Nanite virtualized geometry means that film-quality source art comprising hundreds of millions or billions of polygons can be imported directly into Unreal Engine—anything from ZBrush sculpts to photogrammetry scans to CAD data—and it just works. Nanite geometry is streamed and scaled in real time so there are no more polygon count budgets, polygon memory budgets, or draw count budgets; there is no need to bake details to normal maps or manually author LODs; and there is no loss in quality.

Lumen is a fully dynamic global illumination solution that immediately reacts to scene and light changes. The system renders diffuse interreflection with infinite bounces and indirect specular reflections in huge, detailed environments, at scales ranging from kilometers to millimeters. Artists and designers can create more dynamic scenes using Lumen, for example, changing the sun angle for time of day, turning on a flashlight, or blowing a hole in the ceiling, and indirect lighting will adapt accordingly. Lumen erases the need to wait for lightmap bakes to finish and to author light map UVs—a huge time savings when an artist can move a light inside the Unreal Editor and lighting looks the same as when the game is run on console.

Unreal Engine 5 will be available in preview in early 2021, and in full release late in 2021, supporting next-generation consoles, current-generation consoles, PC, Mac, iOS, and Android.

From Unreal Engine Forum:
Unreal Engine 5 is officially on the horizon and you’re invited to celebrate the momentous occasion with us!

We’ve created a collection of digital goodies to help you share in the excitement of Unreal Engine 5’s reveal.

Preview them below and download the high resolution collection here.
GIFS AND STICKERS!
Available at giphy.com/channel/unrealengine

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

From the commentary to the UE demo:
- the number of triangles of assets doesn't matter anymore: they said that the statue object was imported directly from Zbrush - no need to create LOD levels, reduce geometry, etc. They could've put a million of those statues in the scene, it does not hinder performance. of course you need a certain number of triangles to build the scene but the GPU processes only those visible. this will be GODSENT for dev studios. balancing of performance is a huge issue.
- they introduced several engines that work together: lighting (global illumination), physics (rigid body simulation will make destructible environments very realistic), animation (I love the smoothness of animation, it's beautiful, and also contextual, which is where the new CPU must play a big role), geometry and sound (will probably work in cooperation with Tempest),
- because there can be as many triangles on screen as pixels, resolution isn't that important anymore, because aliasing should stop being an issue, if I understand that correctly (no jaggies since there are no ramps).

If I'm wrong about anything, tell me.
This is a dev's impression on the other site:

XM0pRVl.jpg

All I can say is brace yourselves for the next gen.

Whats ray tracing and who cares, this blows ray tracing demos out of the water.

Micro polygons 8 K assets and mega fast streaming for the best visuals so far by a country mile.
Global illumination is great, but screen space reflections blow donkey dick and need to go away. If global illumination can be done this way while reflections are done with RT you will have some pretty amazing visuals. For example, Spider-Man, when your character is clinch to a window, you will never see the other side of his body or the world behind you unless RT is on. That’s huge for immersion and I’m sure there are ways it can be done utilizing less resources.

Was Hellblade II using Unreal Engine 4 or 4.5?
According to the quoted tweet, UE5.

Last edited:

Fake

Last edited:
It was not native at 1440p, it used a dynamic scaling reconstruction similar to how Horizon Zero Dawn and Ratchet & Clank did on the Pro. With that, I think it would probably hit the 1440p a bit less than the PS5. Effects will all be the same.

They mentioned that on the DF analysis right. I'm actually wondering if Guerrilla have come up with a better implementation of CB rendering for their next game. I personally think native 4k, especially on consoles isn't a good use of resources.

Fake

I doubt NT barely started dev on HB2 to be honest. Would UE5 be such a huge shift over 4 in any case?

Dunno, but UE5 will release on the end of 2021. That why I asking. I never heard of such a huge engine shift like that (version between version). UE5 don't even have official support for next gen yet, just 4.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom